100 lb. Club - The Joy of M&Ms

View Full Version : The Joy of M&Ms

Trazey34
06-03-2010, 03:44 PM
ok, so I used to shovel peanut M&Ms into my face so fast I never really tasted them LOL

I have a ginormous bag of them under my desk to fill up my candy dish, and once a week I get an afternoon coffee and count out 10 m&ms and savour them

holy geeez they're so good! who knew?!?!

Onederchic
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Hehe, I usually share a snickers bar with the bf once a week :D

GirlyGirlSebas
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
No. I can't do that. The bag would be gone in one sitting. I know this because I have eaten a whole bag in one sitting many times. Chocolate is my drug.

spaghetticat
06-03-2010, 05:31 PM
It is so funny how great things taste when you actually take the time to taste them!

MissKelly
06-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Good for you! If I have a bag in front of me I'd be considered a goner. You have much more control than I do at this point. That's actually a nice little goal of a sort for yourself to have that kind of control. :)

Trazey34
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
LOL THIS bag couldn't be gone in one sitting, it's from Costco and it's 1.3KG hahaha it's enormous!!! I thought I was addicted to chocolate too, but turns out I was just a spoiled brat who thought I deserved them! I don't, I deserve more than that yay!!! so 10 once a week is just fine by me

and you're right spaghetticat (awesome name by the way) it really IS funny how you notice more how things taste when you take a minute to relax and enjoy it - so much stuff is garbage, blech! and then there's the bliss of a peanut m&mmmmmmmm ;)

Tai
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
The peanut M&M's are delish! For several months in the winter I would do the same thing. Once a week I would count out my one serving and just savor them.

Enjoy those little yummies!

gloo
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I remember back in the days of Richard Simmons, one of the sugar or whatever exchanges was 14 chocolate chips. Exaclty 14.

Dude, I would ration those throughout my day and they were yummy. Just a little bit of sweetness works wonders.

I may have to do the M&M thing now!

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Nope. Not me. I don't care HOW BIG the bag is, I'm sure I could down it in one sitting-- and what's more, it would be calling my name---
Yoo-hoo.... UBER.... green one here...

but good for you that you can savor-- that is truly an art!

Asherdoodles87
06-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't be able to have that self control either. I did notice that things do taste differently when you actually slow down to enjoy it instead of eating it really fast. I noticed some of the foods I thought I loved, when I eat them slowly and actually taste them I do not really like them. They taste bland.

time2lose
06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
I am another one that just can't handle the small amounts of sugar and could not stop at 10. More power to those who can, we are all different. However, I do identify with food tasting better. I never realized how good fruit tasted until I got off of processed sugar.

FitGirlyGirl
06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I think I might try this. I think I have the self control these days. I know I couldn't have done it in the beginning. I used to LOVE peanut M&Ms, but I haven't had any in over a year now. I think I will have my husband get one of the small bags and only give me 10 of them to test how it goes. I'll see how I feel after eating 10 of them very slowly and if it goes well then I can maybe get a larger bag in order to have my 10 once in a while.

I don't think the noticing the taste thing is only about slowing down, though I do think that's part of it. I think it is also about how we no longer bombard our tastebuds with all the junk. Having these clean, healthy tastebuds helps us to taste things more clearly I think. I have discovered that I LOVE raw sugar snap peas, and that they have a slight (very slight and mild) spiciness mixed in with their other flavors. It is so mild that I don't think my junk deadened tastebuds would have picked up on it a year ago. I am so glad that I can taste it now because it is wonderful.

athena 8
06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I've been noticing this with chocolate too.

I have to keep my chocolate in the freezer. It's a weakness, and if it's right in front of me, the whole bag would disappear. But if it's in the freezer, 1 - sometimes I forget it's there, and 2 - it doesn't taste as good frozen, so I have to plan to let it thaw a bit before I can eat it.

Right now I have Hershey Kisses in the freezer. And those 9 little pieces (exactly one serving), taste so much more amazing when I savour them, vs. when I would inhale a bag without realizing it.

time2lose
06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
FitGirlyGirl originally posted I LOVE raw sugar snap peas

Thanks for the idea! I have not even thought to try those. They just went on my grocery list. This is one of the many reasons I love this site. I get so many good ideas.

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I can handle some sugar or candy without it making me lose control. However, I don't think I have enough willpower to count out 10 M&Ms and then stop. It's not really a craving, it's that I like them and want to eat more because they taste good, and that's a very small amount (I don't eat Peanut M&Ms so 10 regular ones is very little). So I keep my treats contained by buying single serve packages and when it's gone, it's gone. I might not eat the entire 1 pound package any more (I used to be able to!), but I would still most likely end up eating more than just one serving so I plan for success by controlling the size of the bag I allow.

time2lose
06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
DH likes to keep a bowl of either M&Ms or jellybeans next to his recliner. I am fine as long as I don't eat one but if I eat one, I just can't stop.

cathydoe
06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Have u tried the Almond M-n-M's...less calories and tasty too!

:m::m::m::m::m: (the peanut one's) got me through student teaching...but u know what? I don't even remember tasting them. It was my drug of choice. So sad.

That is awesome that you can keep a bag around you and have enough discipline to only eat a few. I could NOT do that...I know I can't. And I am very grateful to realize that isn't an option for me today...but I can find joy in my heart for others that can. Good for you! :hug:

Michelle98272
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I have a ginormous bag of them under my desk

You are far stronger than I! I can't keep things like that in close proximity or I will eat them. I'm not a huge chocolate fan but a jumbo size bag of anything that I can just stick my hand into and eat without having to get a plate, fork, napkin etc is a recipe for disaster!!

loveit
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
i am a sucker for sweet stuff. whenever i want something like butter finger("yummy") lol i cut a piece about 1/4 inch and throw the rest away!!! yes in the garbage. that way im not tempted for another piece and i still get my treat

ChrissyBean
06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
What a fun way to have a treat! :)

dragonwoman64
06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know why, someone here probably knows, but it's harder for me to stop eating the sweeter milk chocolate, like Hersheys (love it). The darker chocolate with less sugar is easier for me to eat one piece of and stop. (for me, even the dark Hershey's has that sweetness that makes it hard for me to not want more.)

Trazey34
06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
well, i don't want it to seem like instantaneously i was able to have a bag of m&ms around me LOL this is after more than a year of dealing with WHY i was so huge, discovering i'm not physically addicted to food or chocolate etc. that was just my go-to excuse. Now I control food, it does not control me, so NOW it's fun!

I'll have to try the ALMONDS that sounds like a great idea!!! I wish at times I was one of the lucky ones who after losing weight HATES all the old stuff, like chocolate and junk food - but alas, my taste buds are still very much in favour of it all :D They just don't always get what they want ;)

tea2
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Good for you for working all that out! :D I'm with the ones who couldn't do it yet :o...maybe 1.3kg wouldn't take one sitting, but it would take 2 or 3 for sure.

Quillie
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
This thread needs to move! If I see M&M one more time I'm going to cave and eat a whole bag of the delicious darlings. *drool*

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
lol!

I've been amused that when I click on this thread, I get an ad for the MyMMs.com website at the top of the page. It makes for a nice change from all the weight loss surgery and diet product ads!

Liliann
06-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow, I like your self control on the candies.. Great job!!