100 lb. Club - Website to estimate weight loss

View Full Version : Website to estimate weight loss

StuffedBunny
06-03-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Has anyone ever seen this site? The results are obviously estimations but do they seem consistant to your weight loss thus far?

ORSewmama
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Not for me - it's close, but off a few weeks (6) vs. what I have lost this year (I have taken longer, not the other way around unfortunately). But that may be because I'm human and have stumbled a couple times :)

proudmommy09
06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
im gonna check it out

kaplods
06-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I've been using weight loss calculators since I was 12 (that's 33 years - back when you had to do the math yourself with pencil and paper, because calculators existed but cost over $100 for what is now a $1 calculator).

Every year and every diet, they became less and less accurate (consistently overestimating).

To me, it's reinforced the theory that chronic dieting can truly lower metabolism.

PeanutsMom704
06-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I wish I lost as fast as it thinks. I'm not a total couch potato but when I put that it, it's more accurate for me in terms of my speed. I'd be happy to get to goal sooner than I will but I know that overall, it's more important to just get there, and staying on plan and even more importantly, getting right back on plan when I mess up, are what matters the most for me.

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
LOL! NO! I just put in the height, weight and age on which I started my weight loss journey, I lowballed my exercise for the past year and highballed my caloric average. According to that calculator, I should currently weigh 148-- my actual weight is 203. I know there are people on this site who lose over a hundred pounds in a year, so surely it's possible, but I don't know what I personally could have been doing differently.

I don't know why my metabolism is slow-- surely it's not chronic dieting as I ate whatever I wanted and then some for 20 years... but a year of exercising like crazy and staying within a low calorie allotment has only yielded me 90 lbs.

Interestingly, the closest I get is if I put in 1500 calories for intake and light exercise for exercise... I exercise vigorously at least 4 days a week, but I have a very sedentary job, so maybe that balances out, and I try to keep my calories in the 1200-1400 range so that's fairly close.

caryesings
06-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow, that was amazing when I did it backwards, putting my starting weight and now knowing what my average daily calories have been over the past 14 months it was dead right!

So I went ahead and put in my current weight and planned average to see when I might meet goal. I haven't wanted to do this as saying to myself that I "should" be a certain weight by a certain date has set me up for failure in the past but this one seemed to come up with a very realistic time frame for me.

ETA: Oops, after reading other's comments I went back and looked and I had counted my months wrong. I'm 30 lbs behind their schedule. Guess I'll go erase that goal date from my calendar!

StuffedBunny
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah I know that is a crazy best case scenario calculation that the site gives, I was curious to see if it was even close for some people...so far, not so much. haha

StuffedBunny
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Wow, that was amazing when I did it backwards, putting my starting weight and now knowing what my average daily calories have been over the past 14 months it was dead right!

So I went ahead and put in my current weight and planned average to see when I might meet goal. I haven't wanted to do this as saying to myself that I "should" be a certain weight by a certain date has set me up for failure in the past but this one seemed to come up with a very realistic time frame for me.

Oh awesome! :D

cfmama
06-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I put in what I used to weigh and how many calories I was eating and it said in a year I should have lost 117 pounds. I actually lost 155 pounds. But I was happy to see that I should be at GOAL within the next year so that was good!

time2lose
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I also put in my starting weight and high-balled my calories and low-balled my exercise. It was not even close. I always find that calorie calculators tell me that I can eat way too many calories. That's life!

eclipse
06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
It's estimating me to be at my goal weight a couple of months sooner than I expect to get there - in estimating how long it would take me, I planned for a holiday stall/slow down should I choose to go into maintenance at that time - so, maybe it'll be accurate.

I will say though - putting in my high weight and calories and activity level from when I started, and it showed me losing weight quite a bit slower than I actually did.

AZgal8
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
WOW.. that really makes me want to up the exercise and try to get there faster. Based on this link if I exercise like a pro athlete I can be in Onderland before my birthday in Oct. hmmm.... LOL

Now I just need to win the lottery to be able to hire a PT to kick my butt!

astrophe
06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Not accurate for me so far but interesting.

A

mandalinn82
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Basically, if that was true, I'd be dead :rofl:

I put in my maintenance calories and it estimated I had a deficit of 1000 or so calories, meaning it thinks I should lose 2 lbs a week.

06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Oh, I was so hoping everyone would say it was accurate. Being 140 by next February would be a dream come true! I can't even wrap my head around it.

So far the estimator is off by 2 lbs, but I'm only 6 weeks in. I would imagine that the 2 lbs. difference will equal alot more in a couple of months.

GirlyGirlSebas
06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I like seeing this. It gives me hope that...if I stay on-plan with my calories...and if I start exercising...I can possibly meet my goals by my birthday next year. Yeah, I know the chart may not be totally accurate, but it does make this visual and makes me see the possibilities. I've never lost over 35 pounds. I need all of the hope I can get! LOL

StuffedBunny
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
When I found this website yesterday, I told my boyfriend that it said he could be at his goal weight by the end of summer if he kept his calories around 2,000 a day and kept being as active as he has been (he's been working out with me while eating junk food like crazy) and then later that night when we were on the treadmills at the gym he says "You know, I probably ate about 2,000 calories today. Definitly not more. My dinner was 1,000 calories. I was just curious so I looked it up online..." So I may have manipulated him into starting eating better by sharing the info of this website with him even if he won't admit it. Teehee.

tryhardforlife
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I would be surprised if it can estimate the muscle to fat ratio in.

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
It's probably a good general guideline-- but it's depressing for the slow losers among us-- I did maintain a 2lb a week loss for the first 50 lbs or so, but since then I have to work just as hard to get a lb a week.

But, the bottom line is that people are more fixated on the finish line when they first start, not realizing the amazing benefits of losing that arrive long before you get to that ultimate "goal".

Michelle98272
06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
1.25 lbs a week is my average. The site is accurate as to my stats. ;)

PeanutsMom704
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I just keep telling myself that slowly losing is good practice for maintenance!! I went into this thinking that in 4 years, I'll be in the same place, whether I lose 100 lbs in a year and then maintain or 25 lbs each year. And the reality has turned out to be something in between.

Trazey34
06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
ha no way! it took me 2 years + to do it LOL And my losses were always 1/4 of a pound for weeks, and then whooooosh 6 pounds! very weird

i guess one size doesn't fit all :D

roxmysox
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
It says I should be in Onderland by xmas, and at goal by my next bday. Those are my ultimate goals, so it sounds good to me!! It's hard to tell if it's been right so far because I did WW for a long time before starting to count calories, and I had lost 16 lbs. before I really started paying attention to my weight again.

Arctic Mama
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I cant tell if it is accurate or not, as my weightless hss been so non-linear for a number of reasons. But if I stuck to my budget like glue again, I bet it would be pretty close, from what I can tell ;)