100 lb. Club - do people not recognize you?

View Full Version : do people not recognize you?

ubergirl
06-02-2010, 11:53 PM
You know, recently when I've been out and about, I've suspected that people may not recognize me....

I'm not actually a very friendly person-- I tend to kind of get lost in my own little world-- so sometimes if I see someone I don't know very well I might not be very outgoing and say hi...

Nonetheless, I've noticed recently that when I see someone I know, but not well, like the parent of one of my kids' classmates, they don't say anything to me....

Is it possible that people just don't recognize me?

Mellington
06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
It could be .. losing as much as you have has to change how you look I have not seen pics to say one way or the other but I am sure some of them are not sure its you and dont wanna say anything

tryhardforlife
06-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I was talking to a guy I haven't seen in a few years with a hat and sunglasses on and he didn't have a clue. It's possible,

TJFitnessDiva
06-03-2010, 12:10 AM
It's very possible....I have a very large extended family & when I run into the ones I only see like once or maybe twice a year, they don't recognize me.

Now that I'm at my new normal, it's happening less often though ;)

Cglasscock1
06-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I would say that this is very posssible especially with people that you don't know well. Congratulations on great job!

ANewCreation
06-03-2010, 01:11 AM
It happened to me not too long ago so YES, it's possible!

momof5k
06-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Yup, definitely possible. It has happened to me!

Elladorine
06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
It happened to me once two years out of high school. I'd lost 30-40 pounds and said hi to someone I ran into at the grocery store.

I said her name when I greeted her and she looked at me like I was crazy, and she made it point to let me know she didn't know me at all. I took a deep breath and explained that we used to eat lunch together every day our junior year . . . :lol:

uclr0028
06-03-2010, 07:41 AM
It has happened to me. I had not seen one of my old co-workers in over a year. He came back to work at the company. We were riding up in the elevator and I said hello and said his name. He gave me this look like how do you know my name. I thought it was funny.

terraleigh77
06-03-2010, 07:47 AM
The first time it happened I had lost about 40 pounds. And I was at my Aunt and Uncles Anniversery party. I was standing next to their daughter and she was talking to a family friend who I had not seen in a while. I said something to my cousin and went to go back inside, the family friend said Wait and I turned around. And he actually asked who I was . My cousin goes It's Tara dummy. The shocked look on his face was so funny.

So in my experience, people who do not see you that often are the ones that may not recognize you. And I think that in itself is soo awesome lol

Tara

Quillie
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
I wish! Yesterday the first person outside of my family noticed my weightloss! It only took 80 lbs, and it's probably because of the change of clothes because the sun finally came out!

I think nobody ever realised just how fat I was, I told her I had lost 9 lbs since I last saw her (which is true) and she absolutely believed that was all!

Elladorine
06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I think nobody ever realised just how fat I was, I told her I had lost 9 lbs since I last saw her (which is true) and she absolutely believed that was all!
Honestly, I don't think most people have any idea what 9 pounds or even 80 looks like on a person. Had I not been so experienced at dealing with it myself I would have totally guessed I've only lost 20 or so from my old photos instead of 100. :dizzy:

Shmead
06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Happens to me all the time, especially with parents of my students--people who see me 2-3 times a year and, honestly, never looked that closely at me to begin with (which is fine). I love it. I never tell them who I am. It feels like getting away with something.

PeanutsMom704
06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
based on the before and after photos you just posted, yes, absolutely people who don't see you regularly are not recognizing you.

time2lose
06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Quite possible, I have had it happen to me once that I know of. A coworker that I only see occasionally, but talk to often, told me that she did not know who I was until I spoke to her.

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 11:08 AM
It's so funny-- now, if I see someone I haven't seen in a long time and they don't notice or comment on my weight loss I'm surprised....but if I get a blank look, I just assume that they are being unfriendly. I used to always be a little unfriendly because I was so often embarrassed about how I looked at any given moment--when I was really fat I really didn't take care of my appearance in general, so not only was I fat, but I often had two or three inches of gray roots, frizzy hair, and clothes that didn't match or didn't fit properly, or whatever...

I know lots of heavy people look really nice and pretty all the time, but not me.

saef
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Yes, most of the people who attended my father's funeral in November 2008 didn't know why I was in the front row where the family members were seated & sitting beside my mother. This led to some very weird experiences as they offered their condolences, as they ended up saying something pretty much on the order of: "I'm so very sorry ... and by the way, you look great."

Lori Bell
06-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh boy, that used to happen to me all the time. Now that I'm approaching a year of maintaince, it doesn't happen nearly as much. But like you Uber, I never really went out of my way to greet people at my heaviest. I just wanted to get the heck home so no one would see how large I had become. I'm much more social now. Funny though, some people are less social with me, and I think it because they feel awkward. They really don't know what to say, so they don't say anything.

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I just wanted to get the heck home so no one would see how large I had become.

Yup. Me too. And I still have to constantly remind myself "it's okay, uber, you look normal now..."

I haven't noticed people being awkward around me, but I have noticed that I'm more assertive and demand more respect-- at least at work.

AZgal8
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Can't wait for it to happen to me!!!

GirlyGirlSebas
06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm much more social now. Funny though, some people are less social with me, and I think it because they feel awkward. They really don't know what to say, so they don't say anything.

That's a shame. You've always seemed like such an interesting person to me.

cfmama
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I am almost NEVER recognized anymore. It's kinda cool ;)

BluCypressLily
06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
My FATHER didn't recognize me at the family Christmas...he stood in the living room, scanned the room, looked right past me and asked "where's Abby?"

If he had a sense of humor, I would've thought it was a joke :)

Granted, I don't see him very often, but still!

ubergirl
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
I am almost NEVER recognized anymore. It's kinda cool ;)

Well-- I don't recognize you!!! You look COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from your before pictures!!!

duckyyellowfeet
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Every once in a while, people question its me when I see them.
However, I also change my hair color (and cut) almost every two months. So the combination of losing weight, going from blonde, to brown, to reddish-blonde and my tendency to wear sunglasses all the time...doesn't help.

I cannot wait until I go back to my hometown when I've lost all the weight...I'm going to make it a point to seek out people from high school ;)

mandalinn82
06-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I am almost never recognized either. Especially by folks from high school. People just have no idea who I am. It gives me a nice degree of anonymity, honestly (High school...was not so nice).