Weight Loss Support - Scale Debate

View Full Version : Scale Debate

segras04
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
How often do you weigh yourselves? I do it once a week, I am afraid daily would be really discouraging if things aren't moving (or are moving the wrong way). What does everyone do?

eclipse
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I do it everyday. I like this because I get to see the daily fluctuations. I know that one day I can weight 2 lbs (or something) more than I did hte day before because I'm retaining water. If my weekly weigh in day happened to be on a day I was up, it could wipe out an entire week of weight loss, or even show a gain, and I'd have no idea that I was really doing just fine. When I decided to start weighing and recording daily, I just had to tell myself that some days i would see gains and other days I would see losses, and i would be successful if I saw a downward trend.

yoyoma
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Same here, same reason. Every day. Fluctuations happen. By weighing daily I get more exposure to the fluctuations and am more willing to accept them. Not that I am ever overjoyed to see the scale go up, but I think it is a lot less traumatic if you've seen them again and again and learn that they are just temporary. Since I lose slowly and fluctuate greatly, I could easily be up on a monthly weigh-in day and without daily experience, I would find that very upsetting.

Liliann
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I weigh daily..It helps me on making healthy food choices!

ennay
06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Daily. I am familar with the pattern of my fluctuations. I can usually tell if I will be up before I even get on the scale. I know if my face is puffy or my tummy is bloaty or my muscles are sore. There are rarely bad surprises once you learn your body. I have even had a day where I was really bloaty and puffy and was all excited because while I was "up" I wasnt as up as my up was last week so my up is now lower. :dizzy: When I realize that I HAVENT seen a number in a long time that is pretty fun, almost more exciting than the new lows.

Plus, one of my first symptoms of going off plan is to stop weighing. It usually stops even before food recording stops.

PeanutsMom704
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I just did 3 months straight of daily weigh ins. I thought I learned a lot about my body and the way I lose weight. I really liked having all the info to look at and see my patterns. I found that the fluctuations didn't bother me because I could see these patterns and had a pretty good idea of what was behind them - specific things I ate, too much salt, TOM, etc.

However, I'm currently on a scale break and won't be weighing until June 21. So why would I do that if I thought daily WIs worked so well?? For me, staying in the teens has become a tough barrier for me. And I found myself too fixated on the number on the scale instead of just working my plan. Plus, I've got a sick kid and have been having very sleepless nights which means I'm not even following my own patterns for when I go to bed and get up, which plays a big role on the scale for me. And when I found myself thirsty one of these past nights when I'd been up with my son but started to think I shouldn't have a glass of water because it would mess up my WI, I knew I gone too far.

The thing about the scale is that is needs to be a tool. A tool to see your progress, a tool to keep you on track and honest with yourself and a tool to motivate you to keep going forward. But in my case, it had become a burden. Only you can figure out the best way to use the scale, and it may take some trial and error. don't be afraid to weigh daily, if you are curious about whether it would work for you. Or the other end of the spetrum, there are some successful people here who only weigh once a month or even less often. Or like me, where I'm mixing it up according to what feels like the right thing at any given time. Just like there is no one single perfect way to lose weight, there is no single perfect way to use the scale.

astrophe
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Daily.

I'm in tune with my ups and downs enough to not get all wiggy over whatever the scale is reading.

But I know once I stop the weighing and food logging, I am risking a relapse because then I'm not as in touch with what is going on and what I am eating. Too easy to under or overestimate the food and exerice.

I'm so over this extra weight, I'd rather just keep on logging!

A.

bex
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I do it weekly at my WW meeting.
I will sometimes have a sneak peek at the gym but I get put off if I see a number I dont want to see before my official weigh in.

abreezies
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I do it daily but I only write it down on Sunday mornings. It's actually part of my morning routine.....wake up.....go to the bathroom......wash face......weigh. I thought it would drive me nuts, but like some of the others have stated, I have learned not to freak out if I see a small gain.....It does help me make better choices throughout the day! If you can do it without freaking out, I think it's fine, but if you are the type who would get discouraged easily- I would say stick to once a week or even once every other week. Measuring is also a very good idea for another way of monitoring your progress!

Lanniedo
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I think I like the idea od weighing everyday just because like many of you have already said; it's help you in knowing your body.

ParadiseFalls
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I do it daily, but I wish I could stop. It's almost compulsive now, and it also helps me eat right, like Liliann.

lizziep
06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
hubby and i are trying to differentiate this time around as a lifestyle change versus a diet- so he has hid the scale. i think we'll weigh in quarterly.... it's honestly driving me a little nuts, i'm not seeing any differences in the way my clothes feel.
i have "cheated" in that i did measurements. even though my clothes aren't feeling much different i have lost a lot of inches, so at least i must be reallocating my fat or something... haha.

ubergirl
06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Daily.

Before I really didn't understand my normal fluctuations, but now I do, and so they freak me out less.

Also, I USED to think my clothes were fitting looser sometimes when in fact I was gaining and just picking stretchier clothes to wear. I'm the master of denial.

RoseRR
06-02-2010, 11:59 PM
While loosing I was doing it every Sunday, Now I am doing every other day.

ParadiseFalls
06-03-2010, 12:27 AM
hubby and i are trying to differentiate this time around as a lifestyle change versus a diet- so he has hid the scale. i think we'll weigh in quarterly....

Quarterly as in every 3 months?!! Wow, that is some willpower!

GoldenLeaf
06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Once a week. Daily weigh-ins are tempting but in the past have always led to self-sabotage.

I think whatever works for the individual is fine. For some that's daily, for others weekly, monthly or even less often.

Serbrider
06-03-2010, 01:01 AM
My Dad weighs daily. I aim for once a week... because... though I can "know my body" more if I do it daily... I get extremely discouraged by numbers... and will often tell myself "what's the point" if I keep on not seeing the kind of numbers I'm wanting each day. So for me... once a week, or twice a week, is just right for me. :)

ninepaw
06-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Every day, in the morning, after waking up and using the restroom.

I will get frustrated no matter what I do - I know this. Because if I only do it once a week, as people have said, I have no way to know if it's real, or something like water retention. Weighing daily, I still get frustrated... Because nobody wants to see the number go up and stay there, like I just had the two days before today. But I was happy today to see things back down to normal. Waiting longer than a week to weigh in isn't even an option, for me. It would drive me bat@&$( crazy! :lol:

It's all about what keeps you the most comfortable in your weight loss journey. :) I also recommend taking measurements, for those times when the scale decides not to move for you. Great way to see you're still making progress... And that's something I will only do once a month! Haha

duckyyellowfeet
06-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Daily here as well. Its frustrating at times, esp. when my weight holds steady for days at a time. But I'm learning that my body is prone to staying constant for 5-7 days and then dropping two lbs. overnight. Daily weighing makes sure I catch those drops, instead of just seeing the same numbers over again

terraleigh77
06-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I weight myself everyday, but I only count monday's number. I found that if I didn't weight in every day I started slipping. Weighing every day keeps me accountable for what I have eaten. A prime example for me, is I stopped weighing every day last summer, and I paid for with a gain of 10 pounds that I spent the first few months of winter working off again lol.

Tara

Gold32
06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Absolutely daily. And sometimes, several times during the day. Like, if I think I have water weight and manage to go pee a second time before eating or drinking anything, I just HAVE TO KNOW how much that pee weighed! Or, if I've had a really light breakfast and lunch and have just finished my jog, I just have to know what that means. (Usually, later in the day means you weigh more, but I discovered it wasn't necessarily so.) Oh yes, I'm obsessed. More curious than obsessed... but yeah.

But I know and admit that my weight will fluctuate by up to 4 pounds, usually more like 2-3. I know that with what I'm eating, there's no physical way for those to be actual gains. If I was cheating, having more off-days, or not seeing a steady drop week to week, then I might have a harder time handling the 2-3 pound swing. But I'm not doing those things, and fairly steadily I see a new lowest number once or twice a week. The range shifts down. I know it's working.

But if I did one day, and my "one day" was the swing up, where the week before was the swing down, I'd think it wasn't working and I don't know if I could go another week to find out. Just my thoughts on the matter. Everyone should stick to what works for them, but personally, I can't imagine weighing once a week.

hairchick40v
06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I was weighing everyday, now we have decided to do it Sunday morning... It is killing me!! I walk by the scale every morning and it calls me.. I think it keeps me motivated when I weigh everyday!! When I have dieted and failed in the past, the failure usually began at the scale... Avoidance, not wanting to know... I think I must make daily weighing a routine forever!! I think, I will weigh tomorrow, but only count Sundays! That sounds like a batter plan...

ThicknPretty
06-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I will never, ever, ever weigh daily. It makes no sense to me. It seems so…tedious. Like, here we go again, let’s see if I ate too much salt last night and gained 11 pounds or if I managed to lose 2 ounces since yesterday….lol. I just don’t get it. It’s not for me…I weigh once a week at the MOST and usually not that much. I love waiting as long as I can stand to and jumping on the scale and seeing BIG changes.

To each their own, we’re all different and this is something we’re pretty divided on I think.

ennay
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
I was going to skip my weigh in this morning because many many children were sleeping in the room that houses the scale (dh made me remove it from our bathroom because we have a Tanita that beeps an incessant amount and woke him up)

But I woke up and KNEW, just KNEW it was a low day and since I "record" lows only (if I am on plan) I couldnt miss it! So I tiptoed in and got it and took it onto the downstairs tile.

And I was right, I was down ~ 1.5 lbs from my last low. I would hate to have missed that! It will probably be 5-10 days before I go lower than that.

lucysam77
06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
No one weighs the same every day, so for me it became more about how clothes were fitting and how i am feeling and looking then about what a number on a scale says, that's what i weigh once a week.

Alita
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I actually stopped weighting myself for a few weeks, and it was only when I got back on - that I realised I had gained 5lbs!!! I've now gone back to weighing myself everyday so that I can keep my weight in check.

MissKelly
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Daily weigh (sometimes more for kicks) & measurements weekly. Even if it goes up a little...it pushes me to work harder...doesn't make me want to give up because I see the results on the tape measure too.

caribbeangirl02
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello all, I also weight myself daily. At the very beggining of my weight loss program, I did it once a week. Now that I am closer to my goal, I really need to be on top of my body's daily reactions. I am sure that this happen to many of you, but most days I can tell what the number on the scale is going to be even before I step on it. Once in a while though, I am surprised and this could go both ways, up or down, so I prefer to err on the safe side and know my weight every day.
As other have expressed, I am not easily distracted or dissapointed with daily up or down fluctuations that I know don't reflect a real weight change. I don't count on any weight loss untill I've stayed at the same level for at least a couple of weeks. Same thing with weight gains....

Cheers,

Caribbean girl

Arctic Mama
06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I weigh every day and adjust the trend line, so I can see exactly how many calories my body is using and adjust my eating accordingly. For me, I have no problem weighing and charting it forever - I wouldn't stop wearing glasses because my vision will always have a problem, short of surgery.... I view my weight the same way - I log my food and weight daily, because I have a problem with overeating if I do not keep myself accountable. Short of surgery, its just a thing I hsve to live with and adjust as needed.

lizziep
06-04-2010, 01:58 AM
yes, quarterly as in once every three months. sigh. we're still "discussing" this ... and by discussing i mean fighting. :)

ThatJillianGirl
06-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Every day, always have... habit! I realize fluctuations are very normal, so it doesn't bother me.. I accept that.

Shmead
06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
For me, this is the problem with weighing once a week.

Monday: weight: 185. Yay! Hopefully, by next Monday that will be 183, though even 184 would be ok.
Wednesday: I wonder how much I've lost. I can't wait until Monday when I see 183!
Friday: Man, I've been really good this week. I bet it'll be 181-182.
Monday. Weight: 183. Dangit! I am such a failure! This isn't fair!

If I went a month, I'd talk myself into expecting a 20 lbs loss.

Everyday weighing avoids these mental tricks.

xocessy
06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I do it daily, but only keep track of my Sunday weight. It helps me out because I can see how my choices affect my weight much quicker than if I was weighing in only weekly.

synger
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Monthly.

I used to weigh weekly, and sometimes daily, but I got too caught up in the ups and downs, and let it dictate to me how I felt about my plan, and whether I'd stay on it or not ("no loss this week; obviously this isn't working. Might as well give up")

Monthly allows me a checkpoint, without giving that checkpoint so much power over me. I focus more now on my daily working of my plan. And if I follow my plan 80% of the time, I will see a loss at the end of the month. Plus, since it's a four-week period, the vagaries of water weight won't be as much of a factor.

I also measure myself monthly. Those inches lost are in some ways more tangible to me than pounds on the scale. The inches are "real" losses, whereas the pounds on the scale might be water, or hormones, or muscle... who knows what!

Weighing monthly has been instrumental in helping me keep going past the three-four month mark when I usually give up. Focusing on my actions each day (eating within my calorie range, avoiding processed foods, lowering my carbs, exercising regularly) is more effective for me than focusing on a scale-weight goal. If I work my plan, the scale will show it eventually.

If I work my plan, my plan will work! The scale is just a tool, not the be-all, end-all of the process. I won't let it dictate my mood the way it did when I weighed weekly or daily.