PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 05:01 PM   #1  

Default hives and itchy feet - metaformin

Hi. I lurk on the PCOS threads alot usually only have time to post to my regular group in the 30-somethings. I've got PCOS, have a wonderful DR, who happens to be on maternity leave - they adopted their 2nd child.

Metaformin has been pretty good to me - I'm actually having periods, the bathroom visits are fewer and I've moved up to 1500 mg. My blood tests came back great this last time.

I'm curious if anyone else has a problem with hives and itchy palms of hands and bottoms of feet. Anytime I do anything where I get a little hot - like mow grass, go for a walk, or work in our hot glass studio ----I get hives. And just out of the blue I'll get the itchy palms and feet.

My DR won't be back from maternity leave until mid october - I'm wondering if I'm just allergic to metaformin and should stop taking it and find something different. I haven't lost any additional weight while taking it either - 4 mts now.

- jul
Old 09-24-2002, 05:46 PM   #2  

Sounds like you might be allergic. My dh has that problem sometimes. Are you stressed out? I get hives if i'm stressing--debyj
Old 09-24-2002, 06:06 PM   #3  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Yes, I get this on my feet mostly. I sweat through my feet and knees actually. WEIRD. Anyway, this has been for years and Ive only been on met for now goingon 10 months. I never asked why but now that I think about it, it COULD be an allergy to salt content.

Logic for this? Well, when we sweat its water and salt. PCOSers and diabetics usually love salty products (not necessarily salt itself). Maybe we are reacting to the salt content in our sweat. Salt dries out and makes the skin itchy, thats a fact. The rest? Theory.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:18 PM   #4  

hmmm, I've never been much of a 'sweat'er. Maybe that has something to do with it too.
Closed Thread