Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

Default I have lost NOTHING!

So I kinda had a goal of losing 8-10 pounds before a vacay next week. I have been working out pretty much everyday(mixing it up a bit - spin, running, pilates, cardio classes), watching my food intake but have lost NOTHING! Since I have to figure out why - here are a couple of excuses, someone tell me that my excuses are valid -

1. First TOM since baby was born (last June)
2. Tapering pumping/nursing
3. HUGE Plateau and eventually I will have a whoosh of weight come off

lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/257/165

Height: 5' 8"

Well, as a newbie to the board, but as an 'old hand' at dieting and exercising, there's NO WAY, if you're are putting out more calories than you're taking in that you will not lose weight.

So...if you know the math adds up, then be encouraged to hang in there. I mean, wow, you've already lost an incredible amount of weight. It will continue to come off!!!

MissNibs
MissNibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

you don't say how long you've been trying ffor those 10lbs?

A lot of women say they cannot drop weight while nursing. I never found that to be true with myself, but I think it can be true for some people, particularly if you were really small before.

As far as TOM, yes you can retain 3 or more pounds before/during. Mine usually goes back to normal after about 3 days after I start .

Hang in there! If you're doing the right things, it WILL come off, eventually.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights76 View Post
watching my food intake
When you say "watching" what exactly do you mean? I can "watch" what I'm eating and lose very little but if I write down everything and really track my calories I lose pretty reliably.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  

I kinda set my goal about a month and a half ago...I am a portion control chick vs. a calorie counter(as a vegetarian I tend to stick to veggies, brown rice, etc - no junk food.) I feel amazing that I have gotten down to this weight while still nursing my LO but was hoping for a lower number before our trip but I guess I will survive. I start a boot camp at the end of June - hopefully that jump start my weight loss again.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Some women say that the weight falls off when nursing, others find it causes a real struggle with the last 10! Unfortunately, it sounds like you are in the latter category ~ especially now that you are weaning and your first TOM since birth! Eek! I know you are a portion control girl rather than counter, but have you considered trying counting for a while? Just to see if that helps? Usually, when people aren't losing, they are just eating too much - but your nursing might have an effect too. I would say try counting for a bit, just in case your portion control/eyeballing has been a bit off.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I struggled a lot with weaning. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how much my son was eating so subtract those calories right? Wrong. My body was clearly burning a lot more calories making and recycling milk that he didnt eat. During the weaning taper it wasnt sooooo bad - I gained maybe 1 lb/month (I was in maintenance by then), but when he quit I gained quite rapidly.

I know you do portion control and not calorie counting, but if you are weaning you may need to do a spot check on what portions you really need now vs. what you are taking in. Reset the portions and then go back to what works for you.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #8  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights76 View Post
I am a portion control chick vs. a calorie counter
This could be your problem. I would suggest journaling/counting calories for a week or so to see what your actual calorie intake is. It's very easy to eat too many calories, even when those calories are coming from good healthy foods.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #9  

The problem with calorie counting in my world is that we tend to eat at my parents house about 2-3 times a week which means Indian food. Indian food (from Indian stores) do not list nutritional information on the bags - so calorie counting would be out - not that I am a fan anyways. I am going to just keep up with my 6-7 day a week exercise plan and eating until after I am finished nursing and see what happens. Boot Camp is next...if nothing happens there, I might shell out the money and get a personal trainer for a month or so.

Thanks all my fellow chickies!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

well its pretty hard to give advice if you're happy with your plan. just keep it up, but also consider that if you're not losing, your plan might need some tweaking.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote