Carb Counters - Staying Primal in June!!!

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Staying Primal in June!!!

koceank29
06-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Guess I'm first up! Yeah its June! Lets get off to a good start today!:carrot:

koceank29
06-01-2010, 08:22 AM
So my numbers changed in May! YAY!:

April May
298 291
Hips: 53" 49"
Waist:44" 39"
Chest:46" 46"
7 lbs lost! 9 inches!!!! Whoa!

I'm not worrying about my chest until I finish nursing in a few months. I really should have done my thighs,calves and arms...I'm going to measure them for a comparison next month. I know my thighs are smaller since my old clothes are fitting now, so I'd like to see what happens next month.

I am really buckling down this month, no nonsense! Gave up dairy starting today, missed the cream in my espresso, but I'll get used to it by the end of the week.

Primal has really enlightened me and is making me evaluate some relationships with friends and their place in my life and my familys life, things are changing for the better around my house and my husband and I are very excited for the future! I think we have tapped into our inner cave person! LOL!

CJZee
06-01-2010, 08:47 AM
My numbers as of June 1, 2010:
Weight 207
Chest 47
Waist 36
Hips 53
Thigh 25
Upper Arm 11

Down 7 pounds from May 8. WoW! This is great for me and I didn't even realize it.

Ilene
06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Kocean and CJ ... WOW :bravo: you did soooo welll ... I am totally envious, no, I am JEALOUS!!!! June will be good starting today...

:tantrum: I didn't measure, completely forgot... I did weigh and am up 6lbs of bloat, I know it's bloat there is no way I gained 6 lbs in two days...

I went to Mongolian Village restaurant yesterday, you chose your food and they stir fry it for you... I chose only meat and veggies, but I think it was the sauces that killed me... This restaurant is out of town and I had the most difficult time staying awake on the way home, so I think there was a LOT more MSG and sugar in the sauces than I thought...

Poor excuse but that's the only one I got, and it's my own fault...:rolleyes:

Today and June will be better :yes:

CJZee
06-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I found what I think is an excellent explanation of Paleo. She has also provided additional explanatory links under the +/- signs that give more references:

http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html

Do you all think this is a pretty good explanation???

srmb60
06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Good morning!
Oh you gals are doing so well!

I gained weight! 129.8

chest 35 (+1/2)
waist 27
hips 36.75 (+3/4)

... and apparently it was boobs and butt! :shrug:

But I feel fabulous!

Yesterday was the first day of a 28 day exercise challenge at work. Our "work well, live well" program is pitting the sites against each other :devil: That should encourage me to exercise a bit more.

Since I obviously still have fat to lose, I think I'll track in fitday again for a while and see what's happening.
OTOH ... if I stayed looking and feeling like this for the rest of my life??? I'd be pretty fine with that.

srmb60
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
CJZee ... I do like that article. I didn't go off for any further explanations but all in all ... yes, pretty nice. Calm, gentle, reasonable ... with a nice amount of emphasis on finding what works best for you.

katerina11
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
This is embarrassing for me. But if not here, then where?

My first month measuring. I wish I had measured from the beginning. After two months and 15 pounds I am

Weight: 280
Chest: 54
Waist: 48
Hips: 56
Thigh: 32

All I can do is keep on doing what I'm doing. It will be great if I see changes next month, so thanks for the idea, guys.

koceank29
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Exactly Kathy, you'll go down. I had that same feeling when I started, its easier to look at the numbers when you know they've changed but the first set is always the hardest.

Susan: there are worse places add to. Sounds like the challenge will be very motivating for everyone.

Ilene: I love Mongolian bbq places...You definitely didn't gain that over night, just MSG, just flush yourself and you'll be good to go!

CJ- on my way to check it out! Thanks for a new link.

jennylou
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I measured sometime in March when I was trying to size myself for new pants. I started PB late March. I'm going to add my new measurements, thigh, breasts and arm so that I can track for next month.

March
Waist - 49
Hips - 61

June - 42.5 = 6.5 inches lost
Hips - 57 = 4 inches lost
Thigh - 33
arm - 16
breasts - 45

Starting weight was 310, today it's 272 (well, technically lower, but I don't count it as official until tomorrow). ;)

srmb60
06-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Good work jennylou!

Kathy ... I guarantee that you've lost inches and will continue to do so. Remember that the numbers are temporary.

I tried to program my scale to measure body fat and hydration levels. I'm sooo not technical! In the morning, I'll see if what I did works.

Oh, I was going to fitday wasn't I ...

koceank29
06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Jennylou, congrats! You've been working hard! I'm adding my thigh and arm as well for next month.

BibBob
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Back from the doc's. He is impressed and endorsing my alternating fast idea as long as I eat when weak.

I lost 27 pounds in May. My current weight is 341 and I plan on losing another 25 or so in June.

I had a funny experience in the grocery store just a few minutes ago. I was just making a bank deposit and I am fasting today, but... how to describe this... I DIDN'T FEEL FAT. I have felt uncomfortable for over a year because I ballooned after losing a bunch. Yo yo syndrome with the gain bigger than the loss and this last time it was significant. So for a long time I have avoided social situations that I could. I know a 6-2 341 pound dude is way overweight, but I didn't feel like it. I felt good. I like this feeling.

I have no idea what my measurements are, but I have pretty big boobs too. :)

koceank29
06-01-2010, 04:56 PM
@Bob that is so rewarding! 27 lbs is amazing! Feels good when things start to fall into place. I know the feeling you described, I'm sure you were walking taller and were emitting self-confidence! Glad you have a supportive dr, that is my next conquest.

BibBob
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Kara, my doc has no idea what I am doing. He probably thinks I am low fat and calorie restricted. Weighing in monthly was my idea because he has such a cool scale. ;)
He is a great guy and pulling for me, but that's about it.

Thanks for the article again CJ. Great summary of exactly how I understand things.

Congrats to all you showing improvement.

And you slackers better pick it up! :p

Ilene
06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Way to go guys and gals who are losing :woohoo: sooo proud of you !!

Bob this slackers will definitely pick it up in June... I don't give a darn where I am I will be Primal... Tonight's first challenge is the theatre popcorn tonight we're going to see Sex in the City 2, can't wait... I will not eat popcorn, I will brink almonds and green tea....

Ilene
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
CJ -- What a great site and links...

AdeleA
06-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I'll post more later but just a quick check in to sign up for a Primal ride in June. If I'm 7lbs down at the other end of this month I'll be rapt! :)

Congrats to all those who've done so well in May, numbers-wise, and commitment-wise!

Best,
Adele.

wendyland
06-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow, I'm impressed that so many people did so well this month.

I've been sick the last few days. Another cold. My husband and daughter had it earlier in the week. I thought I was going to be spared, but NOOOO!

I'm down about 4 lbs for the month. I lost about an inch off of my waist. I'm most happy that I haven't felt like binging or sneaking food when no one is looking. So, I'm really happy with my progress even if I didn't lose weight.

Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.

Rosinante
06-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Would you mind pointing me towards some real info about Primal? All that google yields are reviews claiming you have to eat raw meat and so on.

I'm happy with what I'm doing - I'm just curious about others! Thanks. Oh and congratulations on all those good stats!

AdeleA
06-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Would you mind pointing me towards some real info about Primal? All that google yields are reviews claiming you have to eat raw meat and so on.

I'm happy with what I'm doing - I'm just curious about others! Thanks. Oh and congratulations on all those good stats!

Oh - THAT Primal diet. Hehe - that's a different one - I struck that one on Wikipedia....I could hear the sound of screeching brakes in my head as I came to the part about raw meat.

If you google "Primal Blueprint" or "Mark Sisson" you'll read about the Paleo type diet we're mostly following on this thread. "Mark's Daily Apple" is a great website to start with. Sorry I can't post an actual link because I don't have enough posts under my belt for those kind of privileges yet!

Best, Adele. :)

CJZee
06-02-2010, 06:36 AM

Hi Rosinante -- I just found this explanation which I think is great. Here is the link (each little section has a +/- sign after which opens up more links for more reading if you want.)
http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html

The basic food part of paleo/primal is simple, though:
The core of paleo is the diet: it eschews grains, sugars, and modern vegetable oils in favor of high-quality meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables.

I want to hear more about your "pig2twig" plan!!! CJ

CJZee
06-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Ilene - you are sooooo close to your goal, I suspect it gets harder and harder as you close in on it. Thanks for the comments on the site ... I really thought it was the best ďall-in-oneĒ explanation that I have seen, and it has good links to good sites for further info.

Susan - congrats on basically maintaining except for your boobs and butt ... both good places to perk up a little, no? Probably due to your exercise, there are big muscle groups in your chest and glutes.

Kathy - I remember it took me a long time to even post a ticker because I didnít want to have my weight out there for all the world to see. But now itís become second nature. The good thing is you have a GREAT basic body shape, very hourglass, so you will rock this weight-loss thing.

Jennylou - you have done sooooo well, yay!

Ok, BibBob - werenít you the one complaining you thought you werenít losing weight fast enough?? And you lost TWENTY-SEVEN FRACKALACKINí POUNDS? Thatís nearly a pound a day!

Hi Adele - we're riding the June Primal Train. If we just stay on our train, it will take us where we want to go.

Wendy - the best thing about this is the lack of hunger ... the kind of hunger thatís ďnot realĒ. Plus, we can eat when we want and what we want just so itís protein or low-carb veggies or fats. Itís so wonderful.

srmb60
06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Good morning!

I got a pm with a question just like Rosinante's! I'm glad I never found those pages ... yuck! I sent her a link to Mark's Daily Apple too. I wonder where that poster went?

I think I've got the hang of the body fat thing on my scale. 23.9% and I'm a little dehydrated. Sounds about right.

Rosinante
06-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Phew! is all I can say - although I knew you were all too sensible to be walking round taking bites out of passing cattle. :)

It's certainly working well for you!

srmb60
06-02-2010, 09:16 AM
My grassfed beef is coming today! I'm so excited. I love to have a freezer full of good food.

And Rosinante, I'm going to cook it ;)

Ilene
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Hey gang and :welcome: to the newbies...

This morning I had coconut oil in my coffee, that was my breakfast because I have NOTHING left to eat, no eggs, nothing, and you know it wasn't so bad, I'm not hungry ....So this afternoon is grocery time... I also noticed that I don't lose weight as fast when I am not eating crucifurous (sp) vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, etc... so that is definitely on the listthis afternoon...

Ok, back later, gotta pretend to work...

BibBob
06-02-2010, 01:06 PM
CJZee, it's pretty well documented that men drop wieght a bit faster than women. As obese as I was at the start of this, my all time high, I have an advantage for a few more months before I start fighting for every pound. In the past my big wall/plateau has been around 290. I expect to be there by the end of July. That's 51 more pounds in the next two months. The last time I was serious about weight loss, I juice fasted and lost 50 pounds in one month. I took off a total of 80 before the SAD eating habits started up again.

I second your comments to Ilene and Susan. For fat old me to call those near goals slackers is a bit ironic, eh? :) I can't wait to be within ten pounds and still here working on it. The support/accountability is probably key to maintenance. At least it is something I have never tried before.

BibBob
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Phew! is all I can say - although I knew you were all too sensible to be walking round taking bites out of passing cattle. :)

It's certainly working well for you!

One of the things I like about this lifestyle is how varied it is. I have a ton of respect for the Atkins diet and other low carb diets too. I am drawn to them because diabetes runs in my family and getting off the carbs voluntarily without diabetes and on doctor's orders just seems like a smart pre emptive thing to do. But the Primal/Paleo world really speaks to me in terms science and a lifestyle (not just a diet). Mostly it has something that I need -- Simple Understandable Rules:

Give up refined sugar.
Give up grains.
Avoid refined seed and veg oils.

Do that and you're practically primal.

Then some lesser advice:

Keep starchy veggies like potatoes minimized.
Keep rice minimized. (I have eliminated both)
Keep sweet and starchy fruits minimized.
Avoid things highly processed.

So you:

Eat berries.
Eat meat.
Eat eggs.
Eat veggies.
Eat nuts.
Eat dairy if you like.
Eat as clean as your budget allows (pastured meats and organic veggies)

And mostly eat really hearty good meals without worry or stingent instructions - a way of life, not a diet. You do not need a book or a guide.

From there it is up to you to live the way you want and experiment with paleo approaches. You can do dairy if you like. You can avoid it if needed.

Dr. Harris of the PaNu (http://www.paleonu.com/about-me/) blog convinced me, and I did a ton of reading.

Get started (http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/)
What he eats (amazing he's so lean) (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/11/13/what-i-eat.html)
What if you're obese with issues. (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/27/how-to-lose-weight.html)

So simple even a caveman can do it!

So why Primal (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/) instead of Paleo? Mark Sisson, has laid out a polished and realistic blueprint for living to paleo standards supported by a ton of science and a very important and realistic 80/20 rule. He understand we will all eventually cheat. So live 80% primal and 20% however you like. That works for me.

Oh, I am also a huge fan of the Doctors Eades (http://www.proteinpower.com/#). You can read their blogs for days to learn about paleo dieting. Their clinical success with patients is really impressive.

AdeleA
06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
CJZee - My new word of the month: "FRACKALACKINí" - LOL Love it.

BibBob: Thanks for those great links :) How does Mark S suggest you determine that avoiding dairy is "needed"?

I have a kind of very mild alllergic reaction in the back of the nose/throat after eating dairy so I plan to avoid it fully for a few months at least. (I make specific carbohydrate yogurt - fermented 24 hours - for my kids but I plan even avoiding that for now. I'll have bone broth for minerals in the mean time.)

Ilene I've been doing the coconut oil in the coffee thing too. Just a couple of teaspoons. I like it. :) The coffee is more "sustaining" than straight black how I'm used to taking it.
It doesn't detract from the flavour (my oil is very mild tasting) or from the pleasure for me so it's an easy switch at home but I'm still trying to work out a tidy way to transport a portion of oil that I can discreetly put in my espresso when I have one out at a cafe.

Yay for today's fresh meat arrival Susan. You'll feel great with that all put away in the freezer.

I weighed myself. Thought I'd get my fracalackin' big girls pants on and just do it.
Waaah. 233 pounds. Blah. Oh well, that's over with. No hiding from the truth now! Onwards and downwards with those numbers. About 90 to goal...I think that's the upper side of what I'd guessed.

I'll get a ticker when I'm allowed one! :D

Adele.

Ilene
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Susan -- Grassfed beef :hun:

Today has been very good, I feel good too... go figure when you eat good you feel good... who woulda thunk :lol: ....

Off to the gym in a few minutes... I didn't feel like running today it was just too hot...

BibBob
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
BibBob: Thanks for those great links :) How does Mark S suggest you determine that avoiding dairy is "needed"?

If you cannot tolerate it then you need to avoid it. Lactose intolerance is pretty common. Dairy in general isn't highly recommended in paleo diets. The diet idea germinated from anthropological archeology. As the story goes, man evolved for a few hundred thousand years to eat specific foods. Paleolithic people, genetically identical to us, did not suffer the diseases of civilization, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. Those diseases arrived with the agricultural revolution, which gave us grains, processed legumes (also a no no), fruit was selected for sweetness and made less healthy, and finally, dairy became part of our diet. So dairy isn't paleo. BUT Dr. Harris and several others refute the idea of strict paleo re-enactment dieting. It's unrealistic and some neolithic foods are quite healthy, like cream and butter, plain yogurt, raw milk and hard cheeses. Anyway, who's to say caveman didn't kill a lot of nursing animals (the young were easy prey, making the mothers vulnerable too) and immediately use that milk? If you tolerate and enjoy dairy, don't deny yourself. We are denying enough with pancakes and pizza, donchya think?

BibBob
06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm jealous of the meat, Susan. I have found a great deal on a cow, but I need at least a half dozen people to split it with. It only comes to $3 a pound, but I have to buy 650 pounds!

srmb60
06-03-2010, 07:58 AM
I was a little worried about freezer space because I have a small-ish upright but it fits very nicely and I have lots of room left over. Maybe room for some of that holistic pork I found.
Jim(the organic farmer) gathers up a few old customers anytime he has a cattlebeast that's ready to slaughter. I just happened to meet up with him when he was looking for a 4th. Can your supplier put you on a list or something?

The steak we had for supper last night was great. It tastes like I remember meat tasting when I was a kid.

Did some walking yesterday and was on the elliptical for 20 minutes.

Fressca
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi everybody :wave:

Haven't been around for a while; it's hard to believe in this day and age but once the trees leaf out around here, my Internet connection is just awful. It will connect, but then kicks me off every few minutes. Very annoying.

Anyway I am here and reading when I can... I'm afraid to say I've been more 80% OFF and 20% ON but am trying to change that... :D

Lots of great posts, and great results too.

BibBob
06-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Well my first Primal Winter fast lasted 42 hours, with significant cravings between hours 18-22, then a cakewalk to a BAS yesterday. I even slept better than normal on an empty stomach, most likely because I slipped into bed early to avoid my late night snack addiction. This idea may actually work to end that issue.

Hi Fressca! Your sig made me say, "**** yeah!" :)

Susan, you're just rubbing it in describing the taste, ya know. :)

I'm in the stinkin' desert here. That steer I want is 3 hours away, and that is the closest I can find. I asked him about splitting one with others in my situation, and he said he didn't coordinate stuff like that because his demand is so high there's no need. He did tell me others have succeeded with classified ads. "Want to split a grass fed steer? 100 pounds for $300 dollars. Call me." Something like that. I may do it.

AdeleA
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Cheers for that dairy info BibBob.
I find so long as I'm having bone broth (sounds yuck, but it's just long cooked broth) my cravings for cheese disappear. So I'll keep on with that for now. I feel confident I'm getting enough calcium and magnesium. Would like to enjoy small amounts of cheese, yogurt etc again eventually.
...Hope you can find someone or a group to share a beast with BibBob. You'd think anyone who'd watched Food Inc would be really keen to get some grassfed beef!

I've commited to a 10 day 100% compliance challenge. So I'll weigh in after that.
Heading to the Farmer's market tomorrow morning to get well stocked up. :carrot:

Hope everyone's having a great day!

Ilene
06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I've had 3 wonderful Primal Days :D ...

Tonight I made a coleslaw it was really good...

Here's the recipe:

Honey Apple Coleslaw
• 2 c packaged coleslaw mix
• 1 unpeeled tart apple, chopped
• 1/2 c chopped celery
• 1/2 c chopped green pepper
• 1/4 c olive oil
• 2 T lemon juice
• 2 T honey
• 1 t celery seed
In a bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, apple, celery and green peppers. In a small bowl,
whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over coleslaw and toss to coat.

AdeleA
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.

Wendy, did you find a recipe? - I have used the one here:
www dot alchemille.blogspot.com/2009/06/gluten-free-paleo-scd-rustic-pizza.html

I use chestnut flour a lot in baking for my kids, but will avoid it myself b/c it's high in carbs. Pretty sure you could confidently substitute coconut flour :)
I always use an egg in grain free/specific carbohydrate crusts and "pastry", that seems to be the biggest key to success.

Ilene
06-03-2010, 10:21 PM
t.

Anyone know of a good primal crust that I can use for a quiche? I know that I could make a crustless one, but I thought crust might be a fun experiment. I currently have almond flour and coconut flour onhand, but I have plenty of healthfood stores nearby.I forgot to post this when you originally asked about it here is one I found:

Flourless Pie Crust
ē 1 1/4 c almond meal
ē 2/3 c coconut oil
ē 1/4 t sea salt
ē 5 T icy water
Combine almond flour and sea salt in a mixing bowl, stir in coconut oil and mix until mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in water, 1 T at a time, until dough is formed. Refrigerate
until ready to use. When ready, roll out and place in a pie dish. Fill your favorite fruit
(apples, blueberries) and bake at 450 F for 15 minutes or until crust turns a rich golden
brown.

kaplods
06-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I look at dairy as a compromise, a substitute for the paleo food I'm not willing to eat. Yogurt may be a poor substitute for insects or animal skin and bones, but I'd rather get my calcium from supplements and occasional dairy (though I do eat the bones from canned fish).

srmb60
06-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Good morning!

I do not eat canned salmon bones. Isn't that funny? I'm normally not fussy at all and eat almost anything.

I need to go to the big grocery store 45 minutes from here. I'm out of coconut milk! Oh and I have been putting coconut oil in my coffee. It is nice! And my top lip is so soft!

I only have today off and I don't really feel like doing anything. I think I'll scoot out soon and then be a home body.

Ilene
06-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Susan, I noticed the same thing about coconut oil in coffee :coffee: my top lip is so soft...

I do eat the bones in salmon, I mash them... I also eat the sardine bones...

This morning I had a 2 egg spinach omellette made in BUTTER :faint: ... I still feel guilty, I didn't put a lot in because of the guilt :lol: ...

The last few days I've been wayyy under 50g carbs :dance: ... It is definitely getting easier...

Ok, gotta get back to work :comp:

Fressca
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm sitting here drinking coffee with coconut oil... never thought about the soft upper lip aspect Ilene and Susan - but you're right!

Yesterday was a good day, eating wise. I did have two cookies after dinner :nono: but the rest of the day was so primal, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Bob - Glad you like the siggy, those are two of many inspiring women here on the board. And just as I was thinking of changing it, too!

I'm going to look around for some grassfed beef in my neck of the woods. Do love salmon - and the bones, though other fish bones, yuck. Haven't got round to opening my sardines yet (I'm a chicken!) tho last week I had an interesting appy at the home of someone who is heavily into health:

1 jar of anchovies, well rinsed
1 cup of parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup olive oil

Put the rinsed anchovies in a serving dish, just large enough to hold them. Pour over the lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with parsley. Decorate the serving dish with lemon slices, and serve with crackers (or eat it off a spoon if you're brave and paleo!)

I wasn't thrilled to try this (not an anchovy fan, they're ugly little suckers!), but it was good - didn't taste fishy at all.

CJZee
06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Last night:
package of portobella mushrooms
3 leeks, chopped (to promote good gut flora)
frozen pre-cooked fajita chicken strips
mexican seasoning - quite a bit
salt
butter - 1 T

sautee leeks in butter until they start to soften
add other ingredients
sauteed together until heated through
... totally yummy

katerina11
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I found this kale chips recipe, and thought you guys might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXXGDISnOg

kaplods
06-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I do eat the bones in salmon, I mash them... I also eat the sardine bones...

I used to pick the bones out of canned fish, even sardines (because my mom and grandma always did). I didn't even know they were edible, and thought it was weird that they weren't removed before canning.

Then I read an article in a woman's magazine about sources of calcium other than dairy, and it recommended eating canned fish bones, and I thought I'd give it a try (and have been eating them ever since).

Sardine bones I don't even really notice, salmon bones though I have to mash or they have a chalky texture I don't like. Mashed in they seem to disappear. Although I don't eat fried whole fish very often, when I do, I eat the crispy tails and fins, a habit I picked up from my dad and grandpa, (one mom and grandma scolded them for passing along to me). I also eat shrimp shells and tails, if they've been cooked so that they're brittile enough to chew).

You can also add whole raw eggs in the shells (wash them first) to soups while the soup is cooking to add calcium to the broth (you then fish out the eggs, rinse them and peel them to eat and use in any recipe that calls for boiled eggs.

I did this a couple weeks ago. I boiled eggs in chicken broth and added a bit of chicken bouillon powder to the water.

When I was done, I saved and froze the "broth" to use in soup.

I may be imagining things, but it seems that some of the flavor from the broth seeps into the eggs as well. They'd absorb more flavor if I made them like "tea eggs" (a chinese way to make flavored eggs).

There are several ways to make tea eggs, and there are many recipes online. Add tea leaves or tea bags, soy sauce and other seasonings (like five spice powder) to water. Add raw eggs and brig the liquid to a simmer. Simmer the eggs for about 20 minutes. Then you fish out the eggs (because you're going to return them to the broth). You tap the shells to crack them (with a spoon, or wrap them in a clean cloth and roll on the counter gently).

You return them to the broth, and reduce the heat just below simmer (the pot should still be a little steamy, but there's little to no bubbling), and leave on the stove for a couple hours (different recipes call for different steeping times, anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

The longer you simmer them, the more flavor they absorb. You can increase the flavor further by letting the eggs cool in the tea broth, and when the pot is cool you put the pot and the liquid into the fridge and let them sit overnight.

They're absolutely beautiful when peeled (you can do the same with beet juice, but I don't know if there's much if any flavor change). They look like eggs carved out of marble.

If you want them to peel nicely, you need to use eggs that are a little older. I bought eggs yesterday, and I bought an extra dozen to use for for boiled eggs in 10 days or so.

koceank29
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the "tea eggs" but I used to live in HongKong and Taiwan and they were much stranger renditions over there so I think that is why! LOL!

Very primal over in my house lately! Not much new to report, although I am finding myself biting my tongue a lot around friends who don't want to understand why I eat this way. It can get very annoying especcially when they call the way I eat weird, yep, its weird these days to eat meats, veggies, berries, and nuts, send me to the looney bin!

srmb60
06-04-2010, 07:27 PM
If you folks haven't tried meatza yet, you should! It is sooo good. My Dh actually asked for it today!

BibBob
06-04-2010, 07:40 PM
kaplods, thanks for all that info. You've given me a great idea for bacon infused hard boiled eggs. :)

Same here Kara, same here. I lose 27 pounds eating like a king, lower my blood pressure and my blood sugar and all I get is grief about this diet. They talk behind my back now because they don't like how well armed I am to defend myself. I have three obese sisters who I believe all need low carb, no grain diets, but there is really no talking to any of them.

I will definitely try a meatza, Susan. It's been on my list for awhile.

kaplods
06-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm going to make the meatza, next time I have a pizza craving.

I made the almond meal pizza crust (I made half a batch 1 cup almond meal, 1 egg, 1 t oil, and 1 t salt - and I added 1 T of flax seed).

It was pretty good hot, but even better cold, much better. To the point that I would have to say, if I make it again, I'll put it in the fridge over night and eat it cold (or see if it's just as good reheated the next day).

The meatza sounds like a better plan when I want HOT pizza.

CJZee
06-04-2010, 11:30 PM
If you folks haven't tried meatza yet, you should! It is sooo good. My Dh actually asked for it today!

What is meatza? I can guess ... a pizza made with meat, right???? How can I make one too!! CJ

BibBob
06-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Meatza (http://freetheanimal.com/2009/09/meat-crust-pizza-its-meatza.html)

katerina11
06-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Same here Kara, same here. I lose 27 pounds eating like a king, lower my blood pressure and my blood sugar and all I get is grief about this diet. They talk behind my back now because they don't like how well armed I am to defend myself. I have three obese sisters who I believe all need low carb, no grain diets, but there is really no talking to any of them.

That sort of (lack of ) reason flying in the face of reality always reminds me of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

:dizzy::lol:

CJZee
06-05-2010, 07:29 AM
That sort of (lack of ) reason flying in the face of reality always reminds me of this clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

:dizzy::lol:

:rolleyes::lol:

CJZee
06-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Meatza (http://freetheanimal.com/2009/09/meat-crust-pizza-its-meatza.html)

Thanks BibBob! I guess I shall just have to try "meatza". Susan -- what kind of toppings did you put on yours???
Also -- yay:carrot: I lost another pound!

It always seems like when I eat a very light (or no) dinner that I lose weight, even though the calories are exactly the same for the day. This doesn't really make sense to me, but it seems to be true. Last night I had 2 organic turkey hotdogs, some fermented sauerkraut (always working on that gut flora!) and a serving of veal pate. Total about 240 calories.

But -- for the day -- I didn't eat any fewer calories.

Is eating a light or nonexistent dinner a "real" strategy to shed weight, or am I just imagining it? Even though the day's calories aren't any less. I like to eat dinner :?:. But maybe I'll try a "mini" intermittent fast by just skipping dinner once a week or something like that. Thoughts? I'm not willing to do a lengthy fast. I don't like to skip dinner but that seems to be the one thing that cuts weight on me.

Re: the dairy discussion. I like yogurt and cottage cheese. I eat either Fage Greek yogurt or Stonyfield whole milk organic yogurt. OMG, I love the "cream top" on that Stonyfield yogurt (I do like fat). It would be tough for me to get along with these "staples".

wildviolets
06-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone! I don't post much because I'm can't seem to do the primal eating consistently ....YET! I'm more and more convinced that this is the way I want to eat for life and reading all of your posts (which I do daily) has been so inspiring and informative. So I just wanted to say "hi" and thank you for the recipes (I love to cook). I"m growing kale in my garden so the Kale chips will be soon and the meatza will be on the menu tonight.

Good luck to you all and keep up all the good work you are doing!

CJZee
06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
I've come across a kind of interesting paleo/primal site called Paleo Hacks - http://paleohacks.com/faq.

Basically, anyone can ask a question about the primal lifestyle, and others answer it and post links to support their answers. Then people "vote" on how well the question is answered.

Just something I thought might be of interest.

Also, "Modern Paleo" is a blog that has sort of a master-list of paleo bloggers. Every week, she has a round-up of what she sees as the bloggers best posts/questions. Here is this week's link (http://blog.modernpaleo.com/2010/06/paleo-rodeo-010.html). Even more bloggers are shown in this link. (http://www.modernpaleo.com/paleobloggers.html)

The last link goes on for some pages. This can get a little overwhelming, but it's a nice compilation for those compelled to read about this lifestyle (like me!)

koceank29
06-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks CJ, great links!

I'm making those kale chips today! They look so good.

I finally saw Food Inc. the other day, not sure what took me so long, but I noticed it was on Netflix via Wii and was glad I watched it. Of course since going Primal I already try to get everything as natural as possible but budget doesn't always allow, I have made the decision to start getting everything from a local CSA here and I will just buy less and eat less to make it go further, but at least it will be of high quality.

Bob: I'm also trying to find a few people to share a steer with, most of my friends don't want to understand why its best to get their meat this way, they are happy with ground beef in the store that is a mix of hundreds of different cows from who knows where. I really think its pure laziness that makes people choose not to educate themselves on their food sources as well as the whole not knowing is bliss thing, like if they don't know then they can pretend its not happening.

I'm hoping my parents will agree for a share, we'll see. My mom gets deer every season, so maybe I'll convince her.

BibBob
06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Kara -- good job using a CSA. I used to grow for one, but out here in the desert there just isn't one. I really need to figure a way back to civilization. How primal is that? Good luck cow pooling. Getting others to watch Food Inc. will surely help.

CJ -- Thanks for the links. I have a couple blogs -- one is business, the other is personal. I have been thinking the paleo blog world could use something like Modern Paleo (a huge link reference); so thanks for that. I debate every day if I want to blog my weight loss. For me it is the best way to get this information in front of 20-30 folks I count as loved ones who simply won't take the time to read on their own. So if *I* -- brother, uncle, in law, friend -- started posting the information, then they would read what I was up to. I hate the time commitment, but it would help keep me focused and NOT YO YO. It would serve the same accountability purpose as 3FC, but even moreso because those closest to me would be following.

In regards to eating very light or not at all at night, I think that supports intermittent fasting theory. We all fast when we get decent sleep. Well, I guess I have been known to eat in my sleep, but that's another story. Breakfast means break fast. So by having a light dinner or skipping it you are extending your daily fast. I am an evening eater, so that doesn't work for me, but if it works for you, it's a great way to let your low carb system IF.

I'm reading a lot about extended and intermittent fasting these days because of my primal winter program. For some reason reading about the benefits makes the process easy. I had no issues skipping food yesterday other than going to bed dreaming about wrapping sausage in bacon, topping it with an over easy egg and a slice of cheddar then sliding it between two pork chops instead of bread in a breakfast sandwich. :) Then I woke up and wasn't hungry at all. I'm going to wash the cars and garden until I am truly hungry because 36 hours into this fast, I have no hunger. Just like last time. :shrug:

srmb60
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Just having a little Pelee Island Merlot waiting for Ilene's cole slaw recipe to mellow. Pork roast in the crock pot!

My last meatza was pizza sauce, mozzarella, yellow peppers, bacon and olives. I don't remember what we put on the one before that.

Ilene
06-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Bob -- your fasts amaze me, I don't think I could do it... I can not eat at night and then skip breakfast, but not for 36 hours oye :faint: !! After that dream, you say you weren't hungry, but just before that you said you've eaten in your sleep, me thinks this could be what happened :lol: ... Kidding of course..

I just had the most wonderful supper... Made some chicken burgers on the BBQ with eggs and parm cheese, and added a very little bit of italian bread crumbs... Then I made some home made mayo (http://thisprimallife.com/2009/06/homemade-mayonnaise-a-perfect-primal-food/) and an Unpotato Salad (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/440479-post1.html) and a ceasar salad with the darkest green romaine lettuce... It was soooo good :hun: I really wanted to make the Kale chips too but the grocery store I went to had no kale :shrug:

BibBob
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Well, the pork chops of my dreams were still in the fridge when I woke up, but they are about to be cooked. Ilene, all I did was get used to 20 hour intermittent fasts in May and then start skipping dinner every now and then in June. The fasting sounds more impressive than it is, and I am noticing I sleep better on an empty stomach. I think ending the late night snacks will be key to my weight loss down the road, which means the type of fasting I'm doing now will not be a good idea.

CJZee
06-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, I know that this group understands that eating too many carbs can be harmful and that the villification of fat is wrong.

But here's an article in the May issue of Scientific American titled "Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart" that says the same thing. Click here to read article. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio)

It seems like our way of eating is going more mainstream, and it's about time! I also think these type of articles in relatively conservative publications can give us ammunition to help others.

BibBob
06-05-2010, 11:40 PM
CJ, if I decide to launch a blog on this topic, I may offer you a position as an unpaid volunteer! Dr. Eades was asked in the comments to one of his articles: "When will the medical and pharmaceutical industries correct their mistakes?" His answer was interesting. He said not until a majority of all doctors start agreeing they've been wrong, and that may take a few generations retiring.

srmb60
06-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Good morning!

I suggest you all try that cole slaw recipe that Ilene posted. It was lovely!

I have a travel mug trick. We have a coffee shop here in town that makes coffee waaay better than Tim's. On our way to buy pond fish yesterday, I tossed a dollop of coconut oil in my mug, bought a med. with double cream and dumped it in. It was a lovely midafternoon treat!
I think I'll make that here at home and take it to work with me this morning.

koceank29
06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Well, I know that this group understands that eating too many carbs can be harmful and that the villification of fat is wrong.

But here's an article in the May issue of Scientific American titled "Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart" that says the same thing. Click here to read article. (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio)

It seems like our way of eating is going more mainstream, and it's about time! I also think these type of articles in relatively conservative publications can give us ammunition to help others.

Good one! I don't have much trust that the fed. recommendations will shift though, we'll see. Unfortunately if they do recommend low-carb living I think they will draw the line at "healthy carbs" and continue supporting whole-grain everything, so whole-grain Froot Loops and such will still be okay in most peoples minds, but it is a start, more people saying no to donuts and the like is a good thing.

Yesterday ended badly, too much cantaloupe- it is 1 of my old fav. fruits and my kids weren't fond of it so I indulged, very very sweet. Today I'll be combatting the cantaloupe overdose with a primal feast.

B:sausage/avocado/eggs/espresso(coc.milk)
Later, eggplant pizza!

Have a good one everyone!

Ilene
06-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Susan, happy to see you liked the coleslaw ... The recipes I made yesterday were good too.

Rain here today :( so no run this morning, I don't even feel like going to the gym either... I feel like grocery shoppping for some odd reason :lol: ...

Other than that no big plans at all today... I feel pretty mellow and ho-hum...

BibBob
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Me too Ilene. I need a slow day. I'm grilling for people/family/company almost twice a week lately and frankly getting tired of it. Grandma, who cannot do dishes or stay on her feet for long, just invited a crowd over and pulled out steaks for me to cook. Sigh. All I want to do today is soak up a little vitamin D, maybe soak in the pool, and then enjoy the Laker game in peace. I have no summer vacation planned this year, but I'm starting to feel the need for one.

Eating yesterday was fun. I'm making cereal out of nuts and fruit with coconut milk. This is a semi sweet snack that takes awhile to eat, which is part of what makes is satisfying. I lightly crush a mixture of nuts and fork mash an equal amount of berries. Not much, maybe a third cup of each. I put that in a bowl, with a half cup of cocunut milk, heat and stir until the berries color the milk. I then put it back in the fridge, wait til it's nice and cold late and night and eat it like a bowl of cereal, which used to be my old late night snack.

Here's a proud papa story. I've been reluctant to force anything on my kid or mom. Mom ain't changin' her ways and her ways aren't that bad to begin with. Anyway, my kid is very supportive of me losing weight. She touches my heart all the time. Yesterday was a a big day for her. A fund raiser car wash for camp, followed by a swim party and cookout, an all day ordeal. She called me from the cookout and told me about baked beans, potato chips, macaroni salad, potato salad and all this food she DIDN'T want to eat. So I told her what grandma and I were having and she wanted to come home. She ate two huge servings of cabbage to go with the aforementioned pork chops... and of course was sleeping very early after that. She gets it. She reads labels for carb and sugar content. Her beloved maple syrup scared her. :)

CJZee
06-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Ahhhh, not a horrible story but a little "mini rant" ...

I go daily to a small (5-8 people) water exercise class and the leader there invited me to dinner at her house last night. We talk a lot during class. When people ask how I have lost weight (in the class) I tell them I am eating only proteins and veggies and natural fats. I tell them I have cut down my carbs to only veggies and an occasional fruit. I don't eat wheat. I minimize natural carbs like potatoes, rice etc. to the rare occasion and only when I'm eating out. I stress the low-carb character of my plan.

I have repeated my comments many time because people are always asking.

So ... do you know what the lady served for dinner? A sandwich on white pita bread plus cheesy hash brown potatoes. WTH?

I guess I have carb-loaded for the week, which I actually think is good once in awhile, but sigh.

Ilene
06-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Ahhhh, not a horrible story but a little "mini rant" ...

I go daily to a small (5-8 people) water exercise class and the leader there invited me to dinner at her house last night. We talk a lot during class. When people ask how I have lost weight (in the class) I tell them I am eating only proteins and veggies and natural fats. I tell them I have cut down my carbs to only veggies and an occasional fruit. I don't eat wheat. I minimize natural carbs like potatoes, rice etc. to the rare occasion and only when I'm eating out. I stress the low-carb character of my plan.

I have repeated my comments many time because people are always asking.

So ... do you know what the lady served for dinner? A sandwich on white pita bread plus cheesy hash brown potatoes. WTH?

I guess I have carb-loaded for the week, which I actually think is good once in awhile, but sigh.

Ahh, sigh ... WHT is right ... Some people don't even realise what lo-carb means :rolleyes:... Or maybe she didn't have lo carb foods in her house available, let's give her the benefit of the doubt...

Here is my delema this morning... I got a leg cramp last week in the middle of the night I found this very odd being that I hadn't had a charlie horse since I was pregnant 22 years ago... Yesterday I spent a lot of the day on MDA site and I came upon information about leg cramps and potassium. I knew about the leg cramp and potassium conection of course but did realise how little potassium the Primal diet had until I looked it up on my Fitday... BUT having said this, I looked back in my Fitday, before Primal and my diet did not have all the recommended potassium either, although a bit more than at the present. Sooooo, last night before going to bed around 11 I had a banana, OMG almost instantly I got a mild cramp in my stomach which is still there this morning :rolleyes: ... Anyway, just wanted to share, I'm going to need to work on upping my potassium with sups, spinach, avocados...

I'm off to work now... Have a good day...

srmb60
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm having a bit of a challenge too. I have arthritis in my SI joints which has become increasingly uncomfortable over the weekend. Last night I had to take an aspirin and wiggle around alot to get comfortable enough to sleep.
I did have a diet coke yesterday but don't suppose it's that. I've been wondering about nightshades.
I eat tomatoes almost every day but have had some peppers over the last week or so and potato chips. Could be a coincidence ... I'll do some reading today.

I must do some work in the garden today so I might have to get into the ibuprofen.

BibBob
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I already shared with Susan my low back and shoulder arthritic issues. I have so much weight to lose that I should see alot of back relief, but omega 3 and vitamin D seem to be helping a lot of people.

That really stinks CJ. With family, I just say no thanks. I'm not sure how I would react in that situation. I have a feeling I would be very very nice about explaining that I'm not just cutting grains for some faddish weight loss plan, but I that I have severe reactions that suggest more serious issues. True or not, I have no problem telling people I have allergic reactions to starchy foods. I think it's true. I break out in body fat. I bloat. I get constipated. My blood sugar soars.

I'm glad you posted this though. Now I will remember to ask what's being served before accepting invitations.

Ilene. I bet I would react the same way to a very sweet banana. I am sure I have altered my gut flora, and it is changing what I crave. We had a big chocoloate cream pie here last night for my sister's birthday. She doesn't like cake. But I sliced it and served it, and even tasted it off the knife. It was sooooo sweet, too sweet for me. I finished the remains of the salad while everyone ate pie. :)

katerina11
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
A
Here is my delema this morning... I got a leg cramp last week in the middle of the night I found this very odd being that I hadn't had a charlie horse since I was pregnant 22 years ago...

This happened to me three nights ago.

I found a list, but honestly, it doesn't look too promising.

I want to eat a diet wherein I obtain all of my nutrients from food. I'll have to work hard to make this happen when it comes to potassium if I'm going primal.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

BibBob
06-08-2010, 01:02 PM
It's awful quiet around here. This gives me visions of you all hiding in dark rooms eating chocolate chip cookies. lol

Well, I had my toughest day long fast yesterday, but I made it. It's now 37 hours since I've eaten, and I feel fine. Actually I feel great because I needed to do laundry an had to find a decent shirt. I was stuck with stuff that I grew out of. The last time I tried on the shirt I am now wearing comfortably my fat belly hung out the bottom! It's a perfect fit. :yes:

Ilene
06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Bob :wave: I'm am definitely not eating cookies in a dark room :nono:... :bravo: on the shirt-o-meter fit :dance:

Sassy -- I agree I also want a diet that has the proper nutrients ... I found that V8 has a lot of potassium... Coconut water has potassium too...

koceank29
06-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Congrats on the shirt Bob!

I think I'm good with my potassium...salmon,avocados,spinach are popular at my hse and they have good levels. I haven't felt insufficient in any vitamins so far. I get loads of sun and eat a good variety of food, I feel good so I'm not going to start over analyzing too much.

Besides potassium deficiencies cramps can be due to dehydration, just a thought since the weather is warmer...

I absolutely love coconut water, its like a miracle drink for the body, but I hate wasting carbs on it. I buy a liter of it every few wks and have a sip now and again.

srmb60
06-08-2010, 03:43 PM
No cookies here either. I just don't have anything to add.
Steak for supper ho hum. Might have a wee nap first.

CJZee
06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
lmao @ eating chocolate chip cookies in a dark room. One thing I've never been is a bedroom eater (which is usually the only room I have dark - grin). I do love me some cookies, though. I had to cut out the baked good entirely, I just cannot be around them.

Today was good, probably not the most primal with two servings of fruit and dairy:
Cottage cheese, apple
broccoli rabe, leftover pot roast
fresh blueberries, yogurt
tonight: spinach omelet with garlic and bacon

CJZee
06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I think I'm good with my potassium...salmon,avocados,spinach are popular at my hse and they have good levels. I haven't felt insufficient in any vitamins so far. I get loads of sun and eat a good variety of food, I feel good so I'm not going to start over analyzing too much.

You know, I live in Florida and am in the sun every day and never thought I needed vitamin D supplementation. But I started to take a D gelcap a few months back, and it has improved my mood noticeably, I mean significantly.

It sounds like you eat really well, Kara.

Ilene
06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Kara -- Why over analize if we feel good... I'm just going to make sure I eat whole healthy foods with potassium, as you do....

We had a meatza tonight it was soooo good I made it with about a pound of lean ground chicken added an egg, a bit of bread crumbs 2T or so, 1/4c parm cheese, mixed that and spread it on a parchment paper on a pizza pan, cooked it in a 400F oven for about 17 minutes... I took it out and added a thin layer of pizza sauce, green peppers, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, mozarella cheese, some slices of pepperoni... I sprinkled it all with Italian seasoning...I could not believe how good it smelled and how much the rest of the family loved it too!!

Here is my lovely daughter Mia showing off the Meatza, Mamma Mia!!
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c355/IRobertson/DSCF0057-1-1.jpg

BibBob
06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/office/salepromos/red/wow-left-red.png

Enough already!!! I am making Meatza tomorrow!!!!

Ilene
06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
:lol: @ Bob....

Well I've come to the conclusion that potassium was not the problem with my leg cramp because I looked back on my Fitday and I never have enough potassium even on days when I have 50% carbs!! So, maybe it was hydration although I drink a lot of water and green tea... Oh, well it hasn't happened since ...

BerkshireGrl
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Ilene: HOLY COW! (chicken!) That looks AMAZING!!! :drool:

srmb60
06-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Ilene, that does look wonderful! And Mia is a lovely girl!

There, I got ground beef out of the freezer ;)

There are a few things I had to toss into the freezer part of the fridge to make room for our beef. So I made up some frozen turnip for supper last night. It was so nice to go ahead and mix it up with cream and butter!

koceank29
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Yum Ilene, haven;t used ground chicken yet! I am making that tonight...My son goes nuts over meatzas, I always sneak in extra pureed veggies in the sauce, can't wait til hes older and will actually eat them on their own. Brocolli, gbeans and carrots are the only veggies he'll eat un-disguised.

I haven't gotten my tabatas in like I've wanted, its been nuts here between swim lessons, squeezing in a nap for the baby and playdates...I am packing the kids up and heading to the soccer field when it cools off today to run sprints, just have to do it!

wendyland
06-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I just bought some ground beef for a meatza, but that chicken one looks great. My husband isn't crazy about pizza, so hopefully he'll like it. We need to do some experimenting. I haven't felt like cooking much since the weather has warmed up.

BibBob
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
It doesn't look like I get the meatza tonight. Too many leftovers. It also doesn't look like I will fast for a day tomorrow because of a luncheon. How rude is it to go to a restaurant where a client is buying lunch and just have water? :)

Anyway, just checking in. Hope everyone had a good day. I've had some pecans and beef jerky. Leftovers for dinner.

kaplods
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Rudeness may not be the only issue. I've read in several business psychology textbooks that what you order, how you order, and what you eat at a business lunch makes a strong impression.

I remember more of the female-specific ones (appearing to be dieting leaves a negative impression for both females and males, but is more severe for males). I do remember reading that ordering steak left a positive impression for males, but could go either way for women. Appearing confident in your choice was important, so the books recommended calling or visiting the restaurant to review the menu beforehand (this was before many restaurants posted their menus online). Being able to make a swift and decisive choice, was seen positively for both men and women.

Ordering what the highest ranking male orders (assuming that he gets to order first) is seen as positive - unless it seems like you're overtly copying another person at the table." The books suggested making a subtle change, such as a different salad dressing, and ordering as if you were unaware of the other person's choice (no "I'll have what he's having" or "I'll have the same, except..."

I've even read that "medium to medium-rare" is the best way to order your steak to leave a good impression (and medium-well was considered the most you could order without leaving a bad impression).

I don't know how much stock I put in all of this. And I think it depends on the purpose of the lunch. Is it important to leave the best impression? It might be, if you're applying for a job, or future sales or status ride on the business relationship. If the relationship is well-established, it may make less of a difference.

BibBob
06-09-2010, 08:49 PM
The day I order food with the specific intention of impressing anyone other than myself... just shoot me. :)

Ilene
06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
The day I order food with the specific intention of impressing anyone other than myself... just shoot me. :):lol3: @ Bob...

kaplods -- that is interesting information...

wendyland
06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
kaplods -- that is interesting information...

I always enjoy her posts. I enjoyed one earlier today about vanity sizing. I'm a fact nut.

BibBob
06-10-2010, 03:00 AM
I always enjoy her posts. I enjoyed one earlier today about vanity sizing. I'm a fact nut.

Yes! I love kaplods posts and meant no disrespect. She's brilliant.

kaplods
06-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Brilliant?! Nope, just a fact and trivia nut too. If it's information I will never truly need, it sticks in my head forever. Practical information (like where the heck did I leave my car keys, glasses, the pen I just had a second ago) it's already forgotten.

I can't say that I ever used any of the business lunch information, except for trying to appear more decisive than I am by nature when it comes to the menu. If I'm with family or friends, I'm the one who always needs "more time," (then the waitress never returns - or she comes back and I'm still not ready). It drives hubby and other family members crazy, so I would try to make my choice more quickly for business lunches, so as not to annoy bosses or coworkers.

srmb60
06-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Good morning!

I'm never going to play Trivial Pursuit with Kaplods!

I had an interesting late break yesterday. A coworker said something about how I might be on to something. She had a slice of bread for lunch and was really drooping by 2 pm.

We had meatza again last night. It's definitely a go-to meal ... quick and easy.

Today I've got a lovely roast of beef in the crockpot.

BibBob
06-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I have about 50 pounds of apricots ripening on two trees and the birds will discover them soon. Ugh. I am avoiding sweet fruit. I guess this may be the year to teach my kid how to make preserves. She can have some fun on the computer designing and printing some labels and we'll give them away. I don't have any sugar in this house. I threw away about two pounds in a moment of... clarity?

Anyway, I ate oddly yesterday. I had a good three ounces of pecans and 5 ounces homemade jerky in the mid morning. Btw, homemade jerky is a great snack for a low carber with snacking issues. I've got this whole house hooked on mine. It's very simple to make.

Then I didn't eat all day, until about 11pm. My intermittent fasting program is messing with my appetite, maybe in a good way? This was not planned, but whatever burns the fat, I guess. I made a 3 egg omelet late at night and in coconut oil. I officially do not like the taste of coconut oil in eggs. I would like to find a flavorless coconut oil. But from now on, it's butter for eggs. The omelet had tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, pepperoni and steak in it. It was a hearty dish. I probably should have just slept, because the flavors needed some dessert behind them and I went with almonds and blueberries drenched in coconut milk. This is my new cereal.

I've quit counting carbs, but I'm happy avoiding them like this.

Today will not be a fasting day. I'm going to a place called The Matador. Something tells me there's primal food on the menu.

koceank29
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
@Bob, how are you making your jerky?

Didn't have the meatza last night, had grilled ckn instead. Maybe meatza tomorrow night. Today was crazy, my son had swim lessons at 9am and then I had a client at 11am and 2pm so I was going to IF but instead came home and grabbed some walnuts and berries and then tonight I had a snack tray(guacamole/ckn/pepperoni/chz)

Oh yea...my quitting dairy is not going so well. I said the heck with it, it seemed like I was wanting it more than usual just because I told myself not to have it, it was that darn rebellious nature of mine coming out.

BibBob
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm using bottom round steaks.

http://www.recipetips.com/images/glossary/b/beef_bottomroundsteak.jpg

They look just like that, maybe even thinner. They are very lean, tough and cheap. I season them heavy with garlic and onion powder on one side and...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gFWw6m1oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

On the other. I put them on a cookie sheet and set the oven 180 degrees and forget about them for five hours. You can flip them at some point or not. I slice or tear them after cooking not before. I like spicy and use a bunch of crushed red pepper on one that's just for me. Lemon pepper and garlic has worked. Cumin and chili powder has worked. I'm trying to limit the salt a little by only getting it from the Webers or the lemon pepper.

By far the best were four I just did outside after grilling steaks. I had some heat left and quickly seasoned these up and put them on the grill as far from the coals as possible. Then I added a little coal to keep some heat in there for a full five hours. They were devoured very quickly. I could easily eat three of these a day as a snack. Others around here feel the same way.

Ilene
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Bob, that seems like my kind of jerky... I never eat the stuff in stores it looks soo full of junk... And I don't like garlic that much and feel like my breath stinks after eating one, although I haven't had one in years...

Today was a good day Primal wise...Nothin' else to report here...

srmb60
06-11-2010, 05:15 AM
I made the terrible mistake of looking back on the time sheets at work. I haven't had two days off together since May 16th. No wonder I'm so blessed tired! The unit clerk marked me unavailable for the weekend because I look so awful. Wasn't that nice of her :D

I'm pretty sure cortisol is having it's way with me. That and I'm scarfing any food in sight ... One more shift ...

Funny story ... I have a pt who needs added protein for wound healing. He doesn't like hospital meat much. Doesn't like yogurt or cottage cheese. I was telling him about my love for hard boiled eggs. Now his wife is bringing him hard boiled eggs ;) I'm not the only one walking around with HB eggs in my purse.

Ilene
06-11-2010, 08:48 AM
:cheer: for HB eggs, I love them too :hun:

koceank29
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm giving that jerky a shot later tonight so I don't heat the house up...I'm a garlic nut so I'll be giving mine a good dose of garlic and definitely red pepper flakes, can't wait to try it.

Susan you need some rest...sleep sleep sleep tomorrow! I can't imagine working almost a month straight.

BibBob
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM
I ate two HB eggs last night with a hunk of cheddar and 4 pieces of bacon. I'm trying to get my fats higher. The more I read I think my decades old fear of fats is still in play some.

Susan, how do vegetarians get protein in those situations?

Anyway, I have eaten for three straight days without doing my 4th all day fast. Just a schedule/environmental thing, so I am doing it today.

Bad news. One of my motivators to lose this weight is my damaged back. I have lumbar and thoracic issues. My paraplegic brother in law is convelescing post buttocks surgery on high protein and fats for another 10 days or so. I offered to use this time to help my sis get their house in order. They have an elderly dog having accidents constantly, but otherwise too healthy and active to consider putting down. So, sis's in laws are all over her for having an unhealthy environment at home, blaming that and other things on the pressure sore getting so bad...blah. I tore out half of her urine soaked carpeting yesterday. My back is killing me, but I have to finish the job today. I love doing floors, btw. I don't install them professionally, but I learned from pros years ago, and still keep up with the latest and greatest. It's fun for me. Hardwood, laminate, tile, brick or stone; indoors or out -- I love playing with the angles, doing the measurements, laying it out, running a wet saw; the whole process. Fireplaces and entry ways are my favorite. It's legos for grown ups. There's no way I can do this job for her. I feel bad because I was saving her thousands, but my back won't take it. I feel like an old man, worn out, used up; and a little pissed off about it, in a lot of pain today. Ugh.

BibBob
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm giving that jerky a shot later tonight so I don't heat the house up...I'm a garlic nut so I'll be giving mine a good dose of garlic and definitely red pepper flakes, can't wait to try it.

Susan you need some rest...sleep sleep sleep tomorrow! I can't imagine working almost a month straight.

I know this is obvious, but just in case. The end result here is way better than any store bought jerky I know of but not preserved for pantry storage. Keep it wrapped in the fridge. In about 2-4 hours the top will be dry, the bottom still a little moist. Turning it then gives you a more jerky like result by fully drying both sides. Not turning leaves you a more tender product. If your beef releases a lot of fats and fluids, dry it with a paper towel or drain it in the middle of the process. Beef jerky is dehydrated beef. My 180 degree method is about 80% dehydrated and 20% cooked. You can go as long as 8 hours and it starts getting harder and chewier. I really love the stuff at the five hour mark, it's, a combo of moist and dry, chewy and tender, and the spices seem to really be alive at that point.

I generally have been putting mine in the oven at midnight, programming it to cook from 2am to 7am, so I wake up and it's done. Also trying not to overheat the house, but 180 degree oven is really not much of a heater.

srmb60
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Bob? I've not run into the vegetarian situation with a patient yet. I have seen some pink liquid drink thing that's a low carb protein supplement for diabetics. My guy just wants eggs ;)

Dh is gonna fire up the barbeque so I think I'm going to nap until supper.

Ilene
06-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Susan, enjoy your nap, you certainly deserve it :yes:

Ho hum coupla days for me... Primal is good but I just can't eat as much fat as the plan requires but I do get 50% most days...

BibBob
06-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Noon tomorrow will be 48 hours without food for me. Wow. Since that restaurant, I haven't eaten a thing. I did have a twice baked potato with my steak, and my stomach was upset most of yesterday. Mild, no big deal, but grumpy. Today I just decided to catch up on my missed fast without realizing I skipped dinner last night. Hopefully a bunch of pounds are coming off. I have the goodies for meatza ready to go tomorrow. But I suspect I'll be too tired and dirty for preparing anything elaborate. I will be getting plenty of beef and veggies tomorrow.

Rosinante
06-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Re incontinent dogs: if it's a leak rather than forgetting not to actually do it inside, you can get some great syrup from the veteranarian called Propalin. No side effects on my 2 old ladies and an instant - er- sealant!

CJZee
06-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Primal is good but I just can't eat as much fat as the plan requires but I do get 50% most days...

Hi Ilene (and anyone else) -- what percent fat are you aiming for? And why? I have not read the "Primal Blueprint", is a specific percentage of fat recommended there? I notice I eat between 45-55% fat in my food-tracker. I don't aim for anything specific, that's just how it ends up. I mostly try to watch my carbs and keep them below 100 grams.

Also -- for everyone who eats coconut oil, I am confused. Dr. Andrew Weil has specifically said NOT to eat coconut oil (link here (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400611/Confused-About-Coconut-Oil.html)) because it raises cholesterol levels. I have very good HDL, low triglycerides, but I do have slightly elevated total cholesterol and LDL (which I guess is common on a primal diet because of the saturated fat). I am concerned when someone like Dr. Weil, who is not a mainstream "by the book" doctor, recommends against eating sat fat and specifically coconut oil.

BibBob
06-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Dr. Weil's a little chubby wouldn't ya say? :D

He also advised himself into the high carb corner years ago. Experts have a very difficult time accepting contrary information when they have a lot of advice out there. So they'd rather just disagree than admit fault. Imagine, with the very best of intentions that you, as a professional health advisor, had told millions of people to eat lots of healthy whole grains and to keep carbs a good 50% of your caloric intake. Millions of people are making you money doing this. Now it turns out your advice was bad. What do you do? Admit the hated Dr. Atkins was right all along, or keep making a living. Because admitting you blew it, blows your cred which dumps your income.

By recommending high carbs he has not choice but to be low fat. He completely missed the research that Taubes and co. presented so perfectly about saturated fats. He was very conventional on that topic. He has since agreed with what Taubes says, but decided to disagree about sat fats. Why? Could it be his credibility? Likely.

Mark Sisson on Coconut (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut/)

BibBob
06-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm consuming about 70% fats, which seems to satiate me for long periods on less calories than lower fat intakes. I am in ketosis, so fat is the fuel I burn. I haven't eaten in 46 hours at the moment. I AM NOT HUNGRY. I understand the body has built in defense mechanisms when fuel is low, but I feel strong and ready to go beat myself up prepping those floor for a few hours before I eat.

Maybe I'm crazy when it comes to fasting (intermittent or not), but anyone who doesn't have low blood sugar issues should read up on fasting the same as we've read up on paleo low carb dieting. Or not! :)

I get these strange little highs fasting that are stronger than the endorphin rush of a good work out. I suspect it's an adrenal response to a lack of food, and it is energizing my body to go kill something. In order to create this energy my body has no choice but to find a bunch of fuel and burn it. That fuel is the visceral fat around my middle aged middle and it is shrinking rapidly this morning.

Another great benefit to fasting is how it addresses your eating issues, whatever they are. Mine is late night munchies and way too many nuts. Well, by fasting I have done neither for two days and this teaches me how unnecessary both are. Fasting trains your willpower muscle like lifting weights trains Susan's guns. :)

srmb60
06-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Good afternoon. Susan is keeping it very lowkey this weekend. A little shopping, a little gardening and a litlle sleeping. Destressing!

Ilene
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Ilene (and anyone else) -- what percent fat are you aiming for? And why? I have not read the "Primal Blueprint", is a specific percentage of fat recommended there? I notice I eat between 45-55% fat in my food-tracker. I don't aim for anything specific, that's just how it ends up. I mostly try to watch my carbs and keep them below 100 grams.

Also -- for everyone who eats coconut oil, I am confused. Dr. Andrew Weil has specifically said NOT to eat coconut oil (link here (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400611/Confused-About-Coconut-Oil.html)) because it raises cholesterol levels. I have very good HDL, low triglycerides, but I do have slightly elevated total cholesterol and LDL (which I guess is common on a primal diet because of the saturated fat). I am concerned when someone like Dr. Weil, who is not a mainstream "by the book" doctor, recommends against eating sat fat and specifically coconut oil.I aim my carbs at about 30 and 50 and that gives me 50% fat, it just the way that it happens.

I googled Paleo vs. Primal (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/) ... I too am worried about my cholesterol so I think I am leaning towards Paleo when it comes to fats... I will use coconut oil though at times because I like the way it cooks, and like it in my coffee...but the rest I'm unsure...

Sorry to cut this short, I gotta go..............

katerina11
06-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Because of Good Calories, Bad Calories and the recent meta analysis released on sat fats, I am convinced that sat fat's are not dangerous. I still feel weird about it, though! I mean I grew up in the 70's and 80's! I was vegetarian from age 13 to mid 20'd and stayed away from most meats until pretty recently. That's a long time to be conditioned to avoid sat fats.

I am still eating ok over here. My carb intake is 12-18%, and my weight loss is so slow. I am trying very hard to be happy with what I have been able to accomplish instead of getting super depressed bc I'm not losing tons of weight and feeling tons better.

I;m still tuckered out! My GERD is still gone, thankfully, but I am still tired most days. Not fun.

I think my work is getting to me. I know Susan is a nurse so maybe you can relate, Susan. Today we accepted a 95 yo woman who is hard of hearing, nearly blind, demented, malnourished, with heart disease, respiratory disease and rolled in septic. She is on a ventilator with a really ugly heart rhythm, temp is 92, pressure is kept up on with a continual drip of medicine and she has a deviated gaze and is unresponsive even without sedation. Her family wants us to do everything possible.

I see this kind of thing so often. It's really really depressing. I just want to sleep every day. :(

Ilene
06-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I got the book Good calories Bad calories at the library this week, I'm looking forward to reading it...

srmb60
06-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Oh Kathy! :hug: Yes, it's hard sometimes. Hopefully she is not in pain. Poor wee thing.

Does Mark ever say what ideal fats %'s should be? My friend has my book. I thought all macro %'s were kinda trial and error. Even protein is a range from0.7-1 gm per pound of lean body weight depending on fitness levels. I have a tendency to remember things with rose-coloured glasses but ... my mental picture of primal eating is good protein, nice fats and real live vegetables. No sugar, no chemicals, no grain.
Anything beyond that is personalized tweaking. The nice thing about primal is that there is such a lovely broad spectrum from which we can tweak!
Just look at us here in this thread. So diverse! Our menus vary, our exercise varies.

I started out really excited about fats but the thrill has kinda worn off. We don't even eat bacon as often as we used to. I am not buying lard! Whatever is attached to meat, butter for taste, coconut oil in my coffee .... that's all fine. Oh and my eggs ;)

And the tiredness ... Kathy have you ever been diagnosed hypoglycemic? I wonder if I dragged my "carb flu" out over time because of a few high carb days. I wondered if perhaps there are some folks who have "problem" blood sugars and need to work harder to develope (I can't think what the term is) that nice level glucose/insulin response thing.
Please don't underestimate the power of stress! I don't think we've even scratched the surface on how bad it is for our health. Anybody got a recommended read about adrenal response?

Maybe we should rename our thread for July the Primalish Paleoish Warriors who eat lower carbish :D

CJZee
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
If I couldn’t eat meat and eggs, I wouldn’t do well at all on this journey. Sometimes I feel almost driven to eat something, and I make that “something” protein or veggies, not sugars or starches.

I do think my portions are sometimes too big, but I’m afraid if I limit my portions when I feel compelled to eat, I might start gaining weight by eating carbs again.

It is nothing for me to eat an entire bag of spinach or a half a pound or more of meat. I had leg of lamb the other day, and it was wonderful and I ate a ton of it. I bet it came close to a pound. I do not think this is good, but I do not gain weight when doing it and it keeps me off the carbs which I KNOW will start a downhill spiral. I watch my calories every day and aim for 1550, but don’t get upset if they’re higher (or lower) unless they’e crazy higher. One thing I believe (truly) has helped is eating specific foods to proliferate my good gut bacteria.

I feel great, but it has taken me awhile to realize this *in my head* becaue it feels so natural. I don’t take naps after lunch any more, my GERD is completely gone and I am no longer taking medication for it. I’m sleeping very well. My balance is much better. I take an exercise class, a sort of combo cardio and weight training. There are mirrors all over the studio and I realize I am keeping up with and surpassing the other slimmer people in the room with my activity level in the class.

I am losing weight very slowly. I am hypothyroid and post-menopausal, but the real reason, I suspect, is because I’m eating too many calories to lose weight fast. But weight is not the only measure of health, in fact it is probably not even the most important one. I do not want to fight my body too much, I want to sort of ease it into a lower weight so it doesn’t lower my body temperature and slow my metabolism to try and “survive” on less food. My body inflammation as measured by Lp(a) and cardio CRP is very low now. My fasting blood glucose and a1c have dropped from “almost” pre-diabetic down to the very lowest range of the normal numbers.

All that said, 1/2 to 1 pound a week loss feels like failure. It shouldn’t, I know, but it kinda does. (Well, *failure* is too strong of a word, but I can't think of another to replace it.)

koceank29
06-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Detox day for me...I made awful choices yesterday, gotta own up!

My younger brother(hes in the Navy) who I only see about 1x a yr came to town for a day and my mom fixed her famous chocolate cake that we only see on special occasions, so I ate lots of meat, no decent veggie choices around (apparently baked beans are now vegetables?lol) then I had a slice of the cake which led me to have alcohol(only 1 shot, thank goodness). I feel like a ton of bricks this morning and my joints are killing me, more proof of the horrible effect of grain on my body.

I started my detox this morning, I had a great primal breakfast hoping I could push out some of the crap I ate yesterday and the rest of the day I'll either IF or have a little late afternoon snack, I'm waiting to see how my head feels from lack of sugar.

Unfortunately its so hot & humid here the past few days I haven't been able to do much outside, its just too hot for a 10m old, 100% humidty and 98degrees is not workout friendly, we tried Friday and even my 5 yr old was complaining 5 minutes into the walk. We are going to the library later I'm planning on getting Gary Taubes book...

tymaboy
06-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Hello everyone. Susan has directed me to this thread. Hoping you all can help me stay on track & not have such a hard time. I am doing the low carb thing as well. I had success with it 6 yrs ago & loved it then, this time I am having a hard time. My belly is always growling at me. I eat & eat alot when I do but within half hour to an hour later its growling at me again. I broke down & started drinking diet pop to help with it, I am drinking more pop now then before I started the diet.

I notice that you are talking about coconut oil. I did a little research on MCT oil & found out that coconut oil is composed of 66% of it. Do you notice anything while taking it? Are there side effects? I need to go out & pickup some vitamins & was thinking of picking coconut oil up too.

koceank29
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone. Susan has directed me to this thread. Hoping you all can help me stay on track & not have such a hard time. I am doing the low carb thing as well. I had success with it 6 yrs ago & loved it then, this time I am having a hard time. My belly is always growling at me. I eat & eat alot when I do but within half hour to an hour later its growling at me again. I broke down & started drinking diet pop to help with it, I am drinking more pop now then before I started the diet.

I notice that you are talking about coconut oil. I did a little research on MCT oil & found out that coconut oil is composed of 66% of it. Do you notice anything while taking it? Are there side effects? I need to go out & pickup some vitamins & was thinking of picking coconut oil up too.

I notice if I eat any carbs in the morning other than the insignificant amount in my coconut milk for coffee then I will trigger hunger for the rest of the day. It could be carrots/peas/dressing, all of those can trigger more hunger IMO. I would stay mindful of making sure to consume enough quality fats. Coconut oil has helped me with the hunger, it naturally fills me up and I find it does boost my energy like other people have talked about on other sites.

Check out these sites: and WELCOME!!!!!!! :moo:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

katerina11
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh Kathy! :hug: Yes, it's hard sometimes. Hopefully she is not in pain. Poor wee thing.

It is hard, sometimes. I was assigned to her again yesterday, and she was still ticking and her temp was almost normal. Wriggling around the bed trying hard to get that tube out. No sedation because it tanks her pressure, but the improvement made me hopeful. Family is more realistic and will wait another day before making any decisions.

I have a tendency to remember things with rose-coloured glasses but ... my mental picture of primal eating is good protein, nice fats and real live vegetables. No sugar, no chemicals, no grain.
Anything beyond that is personalized tweaking. The nice thing about primal is that there is such a lovely broad spectrum from which we can tweak!
Just look at us here in this thread. So diverse! Our menus vary, our exercise varies.

This is how I see it too. :D

And the tiredness ... Kathy have you ever been diagnosed hypoglycemic? I wonder if I dragged my "carb flu" out over time because of a few high carb days. I wondered if perhaps there are some folks who have "problem" blood sugars and need to work harder to develope (I can't think what the term is) that nice level glucose/insulin response thing.
Please don't underestimate the power of stress! I don't think we've even scratched the surface on how bad it is for our health. Anybody got a recommended read about adrenal response?

Maybe we should rename our thread for July the Primalish Paleoish Warriors who eat lower carbish :D

I haven't been diagnosed with insulin resistance or hypoglycemia, but I know that something is off about me. I noticed it during one of my recent pregnancies (I have had four losses in two years. Two in second trimester). After eating, especially if there were lots of carbs, I would get tachy and my blood pressure would skyrocket and really dizzy and floaty awful feeling.

That clued me in that this may be part of the reason for some of my losses and I needed to change things. So I started eating this way. I am still trying to have a baby. I'm 40 and obese so I have alot against me, but I'm hoping this way of eating will help.

Tonight I;m making the Beef Bombay Curry
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Beef-Bombay-Curry-88540

yummy!

BibBob
06-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Hi Tymaboy. Welcome from the resident fat dude. Your first paragraph above sounds like sugar/carb addiction to me. I dealt with it cold turkey right up front and it was every bit the same brutal fight as kicking smokes. In some respects it may be worse because kicking smokes means no sign of tobacco anywhere in the house. It's almost impossible to do that with carbs. I'm a fan of filling the trash can with food you should not eat, pasta, bread, flour, sugar. Once every thing in the house is paleo/primal approved you become low carb and keto adapted. No doubt it's a pain in the gut to fight constant hunger. It helped me to recognize it wasn't true hunger but my starving carb dependent gut flora begging for sustenance. They died and got flushed down the toilet and things eased up.

I have been trying to get the coconut oil MCTs into my diet, and frankly, I don't care for the taste in my food. I will keep experimenting and try to conquer curries and find some combos that work, but so far no luck. So I take it like medicine a teaspoon at a time. It might help quench my hunger and slow my consumption. I do like coconut milk over berries and nuts as a snack, warm or cold. I have that 4-5 times a week and it seems to be harmless. I do not "notice" anything particular about the coconut in my diet.

tymaboy
06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Tymaboy. Welcome from the resident fat dude. Your first paragraph above sounds like sugar/carb addiction to me. I dealt with it cold turkey right up front and it was every bit the same brutal fight as kicking smokes. In some respects it may be worse because kicking smokes means no sign of tobacco anywhere in the house. It's almost impossible to do that with carbs. I'm a fan of filling the trash can with food you should not eat, pasta, bread, flour, sugar. Once every thing in the house is paleo/primal approved you become low carb and keto adapted. No doubt it's a pain in the gut to fight constant hunger. It helped me to recognize it wasn't true hunger but my starving carb dependent gut flora begging for sustenance. They died and got flushed down the toilet and things eased up.

I have been trying to get the coconut oil MCTs into my diet, and frankly, I don't care for the taste in my food. I will keep experimenting and try to conquer curries and find some combos that work, but so far no luck. So I take it like medicine a teaspoon at a time. It might help quench my hunger and slow my consumption. I do like coconut milk over berries and nuts as a snack, warm or cold. I have that 4-5 times a week and it seems to be harmless. I do not "notice" anything particular about the coconut in my diet.

Hello bibob, thank you for the welcome.

You are right about it being an addiction. It is getting better but I still crave the carbs. Its hard when DH & DS sit & eat whatever their hearts desire. I would like to get DH on board with me but my DS does not need to loose. My DS had been over weight when he was younger then someone from school got him into going to the Y & started running. DS now runs cross country & track & every time I need to buy him clothes its a smaller size then before (wish it were me) He also plans on joining the marines after school. Last yr we talked to a recruiter & he told DS he better not loose too much more or they will need to put him on a diet to gain. The recruiter made a comment that its usually the other way around. I wish I still had my teen metabolism when I could eat whatever I wanted & not gain.

I went out & bought some multi vitamins yesterday. The store did not have the kind I normanly get so I got some generic noncoated ones & I dont think they agree with me. I took them after I ate breakfast this morning & shortly after I did not feel well at all. I that changes or I will need to throw them away.

BibBob
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I watch my calories every day and aim for 1550, but donít get upset if theyíre higher (or lower) unless theyíre crazy higher. One thing I believe (truly) has helped is eating specific foods to proliferate my good gut bacteria.

I am losing weight very slowly. I am hypothyroid and post-menopausal, but the real reason, I suspect, is because Iím eating too many calories to lose weight fast.

All that said, 1/2 to 1 pound a week loss feels like failure. It shouldnít, I know, but it kinda does. (Well, *failure* is too strong of a word, but I can't think of another to replace it.)

I read your post a couple times wanting to find something in it to "improve" to help you lose faster and not have the sensation of failing despite all the other good health news you shared. How are your T3s? Have you had them checked lately? There's a post at The Heart Scan Blog about turning up the Simthy for hypothyroid weight loss. A nephew's wife just had her doc do it for her and she's down about 25 pounds since March. She's conventional low fat high carb dieting and terrified of cutting carbs. Also, if you're keto adapted or preferably cruising along in somewhat deep ketosis, intermittent fasting should probably be experimented with to speed things up. My total calories increase when I fast like I did recently, because I binge, but the weight loss is amazing right now. I had about 6000 calories the past couple days, 80% fats, and the weight is falling off me rapidly. I seem to have turned a metabolic derangement around with Dr. Harris's PaNu high fat for weight loss ideas. (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/27/how-to-lose-weight.html) I took his advice and drank heavy cream and the surge of energy was drug like. I burn fats very efficiently now and they give me the energy carbs used to... and then some.

koceank29
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
@tymaboy,I like to take my supplements before bed, usually that way I don't get effected by them.

The past two days have been majorly primal and I feel so much better. Today I did a Crossfit wkout at my gym that kicked my butt in about 25 minutes...

Ran 1/2 mile, 12 deadlifts, 10 good mornings, 25 rows, Ran 1/4 mile, repeated weights, tried to run another 1/4 mile and ended up jogging and walking. It felt so good! but not better than going for a swim afterwards!

I just finished my lunch/dinner, I made a porkchop with a pesto sauce and roasted tomatoes then veggies on the side, pesto is addicting! I have so much Basil out back I think pesto will be in many dishes this week.

Anyone have any good uses for fresh basil?

BibBob
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I am still eating ok over here. My carb intake is 12-18%, and my weight loss is so slow. I am trying very hard to be happy with what I have been able to accomplish instead of getting super depressed bc I'm not losing tons of weight and feeling tons better.

I;m still tuckered out! My GERD is still gone, thankfully, but I am still tired most days. Not fun.

If you're low carb and low fat you don't have good sources of energy available. Finally beating my fear of fats has energized me. That link above may be worth reviewing.

Sorry to hear about work and having a baby issues. I sure hope both get much better soon.

I am also conditioned to avoid fats. I was the chubby kid. Bob the Blob, Boob, Booby, Slobby Bobby. Yep. I avoided bacon for over a decade before going Primal. Fats are good fuel if you are committed to burning them. It takes a complete paradigm shift.

Ilene
06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Had a great workout at the gym tonight. Did some Tabata Squats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-eOGXScOQ), I was not as intense :lol: as these guys and did not rest at the bottom OUCH... but I certainly did get an intense workout... This method can be done with any exercise, push ups, skipping rope, abs, etc...

The Tabata protocol is a high-intensity training regimen that produces remarkable results. A Tabata workout (also called a Tabata sequence) is an interval training cycle of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated without pause 8 times for a total of four minutes. From this site (http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything---Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to-Gain&id=348486)

I guess we Primals/Paleos we could consider these as sprints? My heart rate stayed elevated for a very long time :yes:

BibBob
06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
What's sad is I used to be a pretty good athlete and I couldn't keep up with Kara or Ilene to save my life. If I did those squats, I would be on the ground writhing in knee pain. Arthritis. If I ran a half mile, I'd pretty much be ready for bed. hehe

srmb60
06-15-2010, 05:02 AM
I've tried tabata and never make the 8 minutes. I got my son to time me once. He kept yelling "Stop, you're going to die!"

Watched "Food, Inc" last night. I'm glad I no longer eat soy and happy I'm not allergic to corn!

Excellent primal day yesterday! Walked, gardened. Eggs, beef patty, lemon pepper chicken, roasted brussel sprouts, cheese, heavy cream, coconut milk and oil and a nibble of creamed coconut.

CJZee
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Kathy - hugs to you. I'm hoping this way of eating will help you too. I'm sure you, as a health professional, know all the following ... but I saw an interesting interview where a heart specialist interviews a reproductive specialist that I'm linking to here ... LINK (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/low-carb-gynecologist.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Ftpzx+%28The+Heart+ Scan+Blog%29).

CJZee
06-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I read your post a couple times wanting to find something in it to "improve" to help you lose faster and not have the sensation of failing despite all the other good health news you shared. How are your T3s? Have you had them checked lately? There's a post at The Heart Scan Blog about turning up the Simthy for hypothyroid weight loss. A nephew's wife just had her doc do it for her and she's down about 25 pounds since March. She's conventional low fat high carb dieting and terrified of cutting carbs. Also, if you're keto adapted or preferably cruising along in somewhat deep ketosis, intermittent fasting should probably be experimented with to speed things up. My total calories increase when I fast like I did recently, because I binge, but the weight loss is amazing right now. I had about 6000 calories the past couple days, 80% fats, and the weight is falling off me rapidly. I seem to have turned a metabolic derangement around with Dr. Harris's PaNu high fat for weight loss ideas. (http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/27/how-to-lose-weight.html) I took his advice and drank heavy cream and the surge of energy was drug like. I burn fats very efficiently now and they give me the energy carbs used to... and then some.

Bob, thank you for your thoughtful reply. Regarding the hypothyroid, I'm on Synthroid which has my TSH and T4 in the "okay" range, but I still feel something's off. I don't know how difficult or important it is to test for T3, but my doctor has not done it. I have discussed the test for T3 with my doctor or adding Cytomel to my Synthroid which I read might help ... or possibly using the Armour "natural" thyroid, but he doesn't seem open to that, and I am not knowledgeable enough to discuss it intelligently.

Re: the diet. I have just been eating protein and veggies with some nuts (which I too can overeat) and moderate cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and hard cheese. I eat only olive oil and a little butter. This results in a fat percent of about 50% most days, and carbs 40-100 grams depending on the day.

I had read Dr. Harris' plan and noted that it was very similar to Dr. Atkins plan for those few people who couldn't lose weight on Atkins ... very high fat and almost nothing else to sort of break through the barrier as it were. I remember in the book Atkins said not to stay on this for too long although I don't have the reference here.

You are a younger guy and both of those things ... the *younger* and the *guy* give you more ability to play around with your body without screwing it up totally. I'm very wary of lowering my metabolism because I don't want to spend my life eating 1200 calories/day. Right now I can eat around 1900/day without gaining (or losing) weight and I can live with that. I also don't want to have my body react by lowering my body temperature, making me lethargic or other things in an attempt to conserve calories.

So, I am just muddling along. I don't think I want to do fasts. That seems unrealistic for me. I'm the kind that likes to eat every few hours although I have read the recent stuff that says that may not be the best thing.

I may set aside a two-week period every once in awhile to try different things. I could skip breakfast pretty easily and that would give me a mini-fast. I might try that once in a while. I would really like to skip dinner but that is much harder for me.

Thank you for your advice I appreciate it very much. If you have any other thoughts about the hypo-thyroid in particular, let me know. I did not really understand your reference to Simthy? CJ

CJZee
06-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Kara, Ilene, Susan ... WOW on the interval exercise! I am headed up north where I will spend the summer, and they have a trainer up there who does the "once-a-week-kick-your-butt" thing. I'm trying to decide whether to go with him or join the YMCA which has lots of interesting classes every day. Advice???? Can't afford to do both.

koceank29
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
CJ- I would do the Y, only because of the variety. You would have a better chance of experimenting with different activites rather than a scheduled class only 1x a wk. Just my opinion, I like my Y because I can do free weights,circuit,treadmill,pool,stairs,classes...I can't get bored.

I am loving the interval training, I saw a 2lb drop on the scale this morning, I'll see what happens by the end of the week. I'm planning on doing a workout someone posted on MDA today and then tomorrow the wkout I did yesterday.

Todays wkout:
Pushups-3 min (I'll be doing modified)
Jumping jacks- 1 min
bent rows - 1 min
jumping jacks- 3 min
squats- 2 min
jumping jacks- 2 min

I may need an ambulance afterwards!

Bob- I couldn't run even a 1/4 mile when I started going to the gym in October, it took me 20 min to walk a mile, but I just kept it up and now I can jog 1.5 miles and 2 or a good day. I find the jogging helps with dropping belly fat and its a slow jog usually 4.8-5.2 mph. I want to do a 5k by October, I know Mark isn't a huge fan, but I have a lot of weight left to lose and I actually love jogging, it clears my head and a 5K is a personal goal of mine. I just saw the documentary Spirit of the Marathon and it really inspired me to keep at it.

Have a great day everyone!

BibBob
06-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Good morning. 35 hours into a primal winter IF, and I feel really good. I like the flatness of my empty guts.

Kara -- I have so many recurring injuries that prevent exercise, I need to get down to about 250 first to avoid hurting myself. I was walking like crazy before the heat got here, now I am swimming a llittle. My doc in San Diego, 7 years ago, told me I needed six surgeries. Hah! My toe is the worst of them and it prevents me from sprinting and jogging is risky. Walking has caused it to flare up, so the walk slowly ideas have really helped me. I have a loose/trick shoulder that can dislocate doing push ups, pull ups, military or bench pressing. I have a bad lower back that has kept me in bed for as long as week a dozen times since my mid 20s. My thoracic region cracks when I cough or sneeze or yawn. I cannot do squats because of my knee. Not even holding on to a rail. But the toe, the toe is brutal. Imagine combining the worst of toothaches with the worst of earaches and placing it on top of your toe. My brother said I could not lose weight as fast as I want, which btw, I want to be under 250 by the holidays, and would really like to be about 220. He thinks that will take tons of hard core exercise. I told him I was going to prove weight loss was mostly about diet, which I am convinced it is. I have been pretty sedentary this month since the heat got here. The swimming is meh as exercise goes. The intermittent fasting appears to be melting me away.

CJ -- Simthy was my word for Symthroid. Thyroid issues seem to be the toughest and belong in a class of their own. I wish I had more ideas, but this one seems best left to the doctors. My sis had breast cancer and Hoshimoto's and her docs will not increase her dose despite her being 5-2 and about 350.

I'm not young, but thanks for saying that. Read the above. I may be 48 in years, but I'm more like 68 physically. Ouch. I was a pretty heavy smoker and drinker through my 30s too.

I know you like the deeper research. I am doing an N=1 experiment on myself re: leptin and insulin resistance. I think those two hormones are the primary physiological bad guys. Screwed up gut flora also being key. Intermittent fasting, even skipping single meal every two or three days, does appear to increase sensitivity to both hormones. Denying the bad flora the sugar they crave seems to kill them off. My primary focus is metabolic set point theory via Dr. Guyenet, and Dr. Ayers anti-inflammatory diet. Inflammation and not being able to maintain weight loss are my biggest issues. Accidentally turning up the set point thermostat over and over (yo yo-ing) has been my real downfall. Some folks don't buy set point theory, but I cannot ignore it since it describes my failed journey so perfectly. My fast weight loss is meaningless if I raise my set point. The techniques I am applying are all supported by research to lower the set point. The three things I have found that substantially indicate lowered set points are ketogenic fat fueled weight loss, intermittent fasting, and starting next month Dr. Lustig's "safe carb" cycling (replenishing). I'm going to eat potatoes and real sourdough pizza (Stephan's safe grain method if I can master it) on the weekends next month -- to lower my set point. This could all be one great big placebo, but if it works, who cares?

Sue991
06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Am I right in thinking that the ratio of fat to carb to protein should be:

<50g carbs = fast weight loss
50-100g carbs = weight loss
>100g carbs = maintainance

0.7-1.0g protein per lb lean body mass

fat - all the rest

I'm 5' 0" tall and currently weigh 127lbs. I seem to average around 100g of fat per day with 50-75g of carbs. Does anyone think that this is about right for slow 1-2lb per week weight loss? Any advice would be appreciated!

BibBob
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Sue,

Everything sounds right to me. But there's others here close to goal who may see something I don't.

srmb60
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I found this.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-maintain-muscle-while-losing-weight/
Does anyone have their book handy?

Sue991
06-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks. I think that I need to move onto IF'ing and do some more weights. I dropped the exercise from 5 times a week to 3 but I think that I may need to up it again. I really want to go to about 21% BF and lose my 'bingo wings'!

BibBob
06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Ugh. The late night snack demon was strong last night. I ate well yesterday and the carbs may have been a little high. I quit counting them. I broke the fast with a bowl of chili. It was so good I had another. This was heavy on tomato and onion, thus the carbs are moving up. For dinner I had sliced london broil all by itself. That may have been my mistake, but my beloved Lakers had me distracted. After the game the old sweet tooth was raging. So I ate almonds, probably 60-70 almonds. Crap! I was still almost panicked for something sweeeeeeet. Haha. No coconut milk to save me this time. Deep in the pantry I found an old MetRx protein bar, chocolate peanut butter, 31g of carb, sugar, wheat, soy, crap crap crap, I ate it and went to bed. It didn't even taste good. It should have been a Snicker's. At least I would have enjoyed it.

So, I need to keep coconut milk in the house and I need something else, just in case. Prefrably chocolate. I keep reading about people having a square of the 73% or higher stuff, but seriously, a square? Me? One square? I'm more a rectangle guy. The kind of rectangles that have 18 squares in them.

Suggestions?

koceank29
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Ugh. The late night snack demon was strong last night. I ate well yesterday and the carbs may have been a little high. I quit counting them. I broke the fast with a bowl of chili. It was so good I had another. This was heavy on tomato and onion, thus the carbs are moving up. For dinner I had sliced london broil all by itself. That may have been my mistake, but my beloved Lakers had me distracted. After the game the old sweet tooth was raging. So I ate almonds, probably 60-70 almonds. Crap! I was still almost panicked for something sweeeeeeet. Haha. No coconut milk to save me this time. Deep in the pantry I found an old MetRx protein bar, chocolate peanut butter, 31g of carb, sugar, wheat, soy, crap crap crap, I ate it and went to bed. It didn't even taste good. It should have been a Snicker's. At least I would have enjoyed it.

So, I need to keep coconut milk in the house and I need something else, just in case. Prefrably chocolate. I keep reading about people having a square of the 73% or higher stuff, but seriously, a square? Me? One square? I'm more a rectangle guy. The kind of rectangles that have 18 squares in them.

Suggestions?

I bet the tomatoes triggered that, just my guess. I have to careful of the higher carb veggies, that cause me to stare at the pantry and fridge looking for something to cure the craving.

I like the lindt 90% choc bars for those moments. 1/2 the bar is 17g I think so I can usually get away with 2 of the 8 squares and some heavy cream or almond butter with it and I'm good. You better stock up for next time!

I used to love those MetRx bars, they were a good snack for me, I imagine now I wouldn't like them either and if you're gonna blow the crabs better make it on something worth it.

Have you made coconut oil/cocoa "truffles?" those help with the munchies.

Another good Primal day yesterday, I made those double-down burgers that someone had posted on MDA the other day. So good! I caramelized red onion with port. mushrooms and added some heat to the patties and we were in greasy burger heaven, we had it dripping down our hands...I never would have done that pre-primal.
Then last night before bed I did my killer wkout posted yesterday, yep! that is for people who are crazy! Who does 3 min of pushup, I did 1 min then modified for 1 min then ultra modified for the last min. I'm feeling my biceps and shoulders today, every movement is torture. But I am sick, I love when I feel my muscles getting stronger, its a good hurt! I was paralyzed in my left arm for 6 months when I was 15 from a horseback riding accident so I guess I'm always thankful I can do the pushups, even if they hurt later.

Is everyone having a good day?

BibBob
06-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Recipe for coconut oil truffles?

The double down burgers made me laugh. I could just see it. Me and my kid, grease rolling off our elbows and my health nut sis comes by. "This is your diet?"
"Nom umnom, yeah! Want one?"

I've got some work to do, but will definitely get a couple cans of coconut milk and the chocolate bars today. I don't have any problem with cheating, but chocolate bars and almond butter both scare me a little. I have proven I have good self control for breads and pastas. Being Italian and surrounded by very high quality of both, this is impressive. But I have very little confidence in my ability to store chocolate for moments of weakness. The only place I have ever stored chocolate is in my tummy. :)

koceank29
06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
2 T coconut oil (melted) 2 Tish cocoa stir together and put in mini-muffin tins or something similar and let them completely cool in fridge. Enjoy! You can add a little sweetener,almond butter,coconut flakes,macadamia shaving, etc and stir that in.

I've only done the oil,cocoa,and almond butter, but is so good for when you want something sweet!

Yeah, I don't store chocolate (only cocoa) I have to plan for the choc, otherwise it'd send me into a tailspin.

BibBob
06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks. I have some good quality oil and cocoa, so I will make those when I get a chance. Maybe with a little homemade almond butter since I have almonds, but have never bought the butter.

Ilene
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I love cocoa for my chocolate cravings and the coconut truffles sound really good... I make avocado pudding, 1 lg avocado with 2 tbsps of cocoa a touch of stevia sometimes and vanilla, in a blender... it is very good....

DH is making supper, he's making spaghetti... :barf: ... who wouda thunk that i'd feel that way of spaghetti, even WW spag...

My legs are sooo sore from those Tabatas I can barely go down the stairs or sit on the toilet... I :love: it :lol:

srmb60
06-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Good morning!

I kinda don't get the chocolate thing. I like it but ... shrug ...

Had some family stress yesterday. Dealt with it with primal foods but not healthy amounts. The roast of beef done in the crockpot was fabulous but I ate it with trail mix and merlot.

I've been for a short walk on my lunch break a couple times this week. It's nice!

I'm also experimenting with breakfast. It actually suits my routine better to eat something before I go to work and then lighten up on lunch. Yesterday I had a hardboiled egg before I walked. Today I'm having roast beef for breakfast and taking trailmix for lunch. I still have an egg in the fridge in the lounge if I should suddenly be struck hungry.

CJZee
06-17-2010, 06:27 AM
I ate only two meals yesterday, one about 9:30 a.m., the other at 5 p.m. and I was okay with that. I went out to breakfast with a friend on the 9:30 a.m. one and had eggs and sausage, had tomatoes instead of the potatoes and did have one piece of sourdough toast with butter. I have no problem avoiding grains normally (I don't crave them, only cookies/grin), but it is tough when something sitting there in front of me. Next time ... "hold the toast".

I'm going on a road trip starting tomorrow am. I'm driving about 1900 miles so will have to make a decision to make good choices, and I will. Thanks for giving me some *mental* support!

tymaboy
06-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I am pretty disappointment I have been eating good this week & gained a lb! I just dont understand why this isnt working as well as the last time. Maybe it is cuz last time I was in college & walked more around the campus, but in that defense I am now doing daycare the little ones keep me on my toes. I am thinking about lifting weights during nap time but am afraid that I may wake the kids up when I do.

Ilene
06-17-2010, 09:39 AM
tyma -- Maybe some bodyweight exercises or Yoga during their naps...

I'm not losing any weight lately but I do feel good, my clothes is fitting better and I'm getting compliments :D ... Those compliments are always a moral booster....

katerina11
06-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Kathy - hugs to you. I'm hoping this way of eating will help you too. I'm sure you, as a health professional, know all the following ... but I saw an interesting interview where a heart specialist interviews a reproductive specialist that I'm linking to here ... LINK (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/low-carb-gynecologist.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Ftpzx+%28The+Heart+ Scan+Blog%29).

My husband linked that to me the other day, it was an excellent read and a reinforcement of what I'm doing. Thank you for thinking of me! Did you like the article? :hug:

Bob, I'm doing about 58-73% fats per day. It feels weird to be easting that much fat, but since it's working, I'm going with it. :D I love that I can eat bacon.

I need to confess. I ate four hershey's mini's last night. i felt like a total addict sneaking into the kitchen and opening the refrigerator door, wondering if my husband could hear me. I grabbed a whole handful and came back to the couch and began to eat them one by one. By the fourth, I felt queasy and my stomach felt like it was clamping down, and then I got super dizzy. I went into the bedroom, where my husband was studying and showed him the four empty wrappers. I confessed like I was a catholic school girl! No admonishments though, just a suggestion that small treats for our son should be bought individually. (I got them with the idea that my son could have one mini after eating his vegetables.)

I woke up and was one pound lighter than the day before. Where is the lightening and hail? I need more fury from the god's of dieting! :D

Seriously though, i think that how I felt immediately after eating was reinforcement enough that it's not fun or good to eat sugar.

I think I got this way by allowing the dark chocolate. It cultured a gray area, that obviously I'm not ready to handle. So no more chocolate. :( I think I'll start bribing my son with primal friendly treats. Any suggestions?

koceank29
06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Kathy, I know that feeling of being at the store and thinking I can buy these for my son and I won't touch them, but somehow I always do, so now if I buy him a treat its something I don't like! As far as rewards, maybe reward him with something besides food like a game together or his favorite cartoon or movie along those lines. I try not to worry about my son eating veggies, although he'll eat green beans,brocolli and a few others. I sneak in kale and spinach in smoothies I make for him along with coconut milk, he's growing like a weed! How old is your son? Maybe a green "milkshake" would be a good treat! CONGRATS on the drop! I'm sure those hershey bars will flush you out, my stomach hurts everytime I eat something like that now.

Down another lb today! I'll put in the official on Sat. So far 3 this week, crazy how things go, no movement on the scale for a while now its moving again, I do think the added interval training is helping. I leave for Florida on Sunday and know I'll be IFing a lot since I won't be in my same meal routine, I'm already crying inside over not being able to have my daily espresso! Waaaaah!

I think I'm going to experiment with a coconut flour crust today for a pizza.

BibBob
06-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Yesterday was not one of my winter fast days, but maybe I punished myself for the day before, or maybe I just wasn't hungry. All I had yesterday was about 3 oz of that beef jerky I keep talking about. Note: this batch was made from 2 pounds of London broil and the 3 ounces was all I got. This is the house's new potato chip is my jerky! Everyone gobbles it up all day long. Haha. Anyhoo, other than the little jerky I chewed on in the afternoon, I had home made creme fraiche/greek style yogurt with macadamias and berries for dinner. That's it yesterday. Little beef, bunch of yogurty stuff, little nuts and berries. My belly is down again this morning and today is one of my scheduled fast days. I probably do not have enough fuel though.

I loved your confession Sassy. Especially taking the wrappers to daddy. lol Such a good girl. :)
We really are similar personalities with that stuff. I showed my kid the MetRx wrapper in the morning. She was mad because she wanted to eat them (there's a couple more), but was trying to be good. I told her they were all her's. Pssst. I think I lost a little pound or so too! If this diet fails, I will consider the Hershey's Minis diet.

On a serious note, I do intend on using some carb cycling next month to entertain myself, keep the glycogen stores higher, and fast even more. My primal winter idea is a three monther. By carb cycling, I mean one day a week, I am going to push carbs up to 150-250 grams. I'm not sure what foods to use to do that though. Rice and potatoes maybe. Some sourdough? More fruit? Sugary sweets are not in the plan.

Drive safe, CJ. Have a good trip! I like being primal in restaurants so far, but my extended summer vacation is coming up and it will be a test. I'll be in LA where I am very familiar with all the farmer's markets, so I should eat healthy and stock up!

Tymaboy? Are you in ketosis?

Susan -- Roast beef, trail mix and merlot? :)
I could eat like that for life. I'm guessing there was no chocolate in your trail mix though.

Have a good day all.

srmb60
06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
No chocolate, nope. Pecans, sunflower seeds, cashews and raisins.

My experiment did not work today. I was starving when I got home! My snack was pretty much the same as last night's supper :D

BibBob
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
No way I could fast today. I was moving more furniture (including a friggin' piano by myself, ugh) on this empty stomach and got weak. This is the first time I've felt physically weak since I started all this. I promised the doc if I did, I would eat. I was even a little too weak to prepare anything so two organic hot dogs went into the microwave and got smothered with kraut and mustard. I'm still not strong enough to go back to work, but I am feeling clearer.

Oh well, I'm having guests over for game 7 of the NBA finals and that means pizza will be on the table and beer in the fridge. I may as well just own it in advance. I'll pass on the beer, toast a little bubbly to LA should they win, and more than likely have some pizza tonight. For us life long SoCals and hoops fans, this is like a national holiday today. I do have a pound of fish that HAS to be cooked today, so I will do something with it to discourage me from too much pizza.

Go LAKERS!

koceank29
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I hear you on the pizza Bob, I did make the coconut crust pizza tonight and I won't be making it again. If I want pizza, I'll either do meatza for the more daily menu or just eat the real deal once a blue moon.

Off to the park we go to help me burn some of this coconut flour off, it is heavy on the stomach and I'm not enjoying it right now.

CJZee
06-18-2010, 05:39 AM
I found an interesting comment on a study about medium chain triglycerides, the type found in coconut oil. Here is the link (http://www.healthyfellow.com/562/twitter-treasures/). Below is the relevant info which I copied. It is on dogs, but it basically says "old Beagles got smarter" eating the stuff.

The original research is presented in the February 2010 edition of the British Journal of Nutrition. A group of ďaged Beagle dogsĒ took part in a battery of cognitive tests at the beginning and end of an 8 month trial. During the test period they were fed a standard diet or the same diet supplemented with 5.5% MCTs - a unique form of fatty acids most commonly contained in coconut oil. The Beagles that consumed the MCT-rich diet demonstrated improved mental performance (http://www.healthyfellow.com/461/natural-memory-boosters/) across the board. In addition, the researchers observed more profound cognitive enhancement in the more difficult mental tasks. There was also a significant elevation in the levels of ketones, which are believed to serve as an alternate source of energy for the brain.

koceank29
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Cj- I think my dogs could use some coconut oil then! That makes sense, I read an article regarding Alzheimers and how fats in a persons diet may be a key to preventing it. I think the importance of an MCT rich diet are finally starting to be realized. Thanks for the info!

srmb60
06-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Well, I have got the hang of two suits in spider solitaire and I have aced a few sudoku's lately ;)

I've struggled with sleep these last couple of days. I got up before the alarm every morning. I was awake for over 22 hours yesterday. Yuck! Today, I should eat enough and keep busy enough to fall exhausted into bed by about 8.

tymaboy
06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I gained yet another lb. I wonder if I am not eating enough now? I need to go to the store I am running low on low carb food (lots of high carb) I think I will also stop at GNC & pick up some coconut oil. Hopefully they have it, I have not been able to find it at Walgreens or Target.

Ilene
06-18-2010, 10:30 AM
CJZ --I love this kind of information :cp:

BibBob
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I had some champagne after the Lakers won yet another championship. I even had some tequila and a good cigar. BUT! I did not touch that pizza. And the fish I did eat was cooked in coconut oil.

Susan -- I've had bouts of insomnia most of my life, but I am getting better sleep than usual on this eating lifestyle. I know you know how important sleep is. Get a bunch of it!

Tyma - I am just finishing my GNC coconut oil. I found it at Rite Aid. I hate counting calories and macros, but what do yours look like? I personally have never lost weight by eating more, but I may have seen some interesting results from my pig out last week. Are you in ketosis?

Today is 'winter fast idea" #6. No food for me.

srmb60
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
That's why I'm kinda surprised. I have been sleeping much better. Just not this week.

tymaboy
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Tyma - I am just finishing my GNC coconut oil. I found it at Rite Aid. I hate counting calories and macros, but what do yours look like? I personally have never lost weight by eating more, but I may have seen some interesting results from my pig out last week. Are you in ketosis?

I do not keep track of calories. With the low carb diet its more about the carbs & not the calories. I am hardly eating any carbs, I should be in ketosis but I'm guessing not since I gained 2 days in a row now. I dont think I am eating enough cuz I remember the last time I did low carb I was eating almost all the time & I am not doing that now.

Ilene
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Bob, why do you call it "winter" fast?

BibBob
06-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Bob, why do you call it "winter" fast?

Oh I was reading about the upper paleolithic ice age while chasing down some of this ancestral diet information that I find faddish and got caught up in the idea of how paleo people were subject to harsh winters. It even stands to reason in some climates that they fattened up for the winter. Pine nuts were the key ingredient to the fattening process for the tribes in southern Chile. The idea was that they could burn fat through the long harsh winter and survive on very little food. They emerged in spring lean and healthy. There is even evidence in both the pre-historic record and modern fasting studies that periods of fasting are beneficial to health.

I can feel when I am burning dietary or body fat for fuel. 12+ hours into a fast body fat is melting off of me. I sure have stored plenty for winter. So I am treating June - August as my primal winter, extending the intermittent fasts over night every couple of days.

I am conditioned to fast. I like being a little hungry, and I like when the appetite vanishes for no reason. That's when I know I am burning fat, which I have unfortunately stored to the tune of needing to lose 170 pounds.

I posted this over at MDA, and I don't expect others to be like me, but if I sense a plateau or see one on my monthly weigh day, I will break through it with fasting. If you do not eat you do lose weight. Period. A ketogenic human can quite safely go 48-72 hours without food. When I was depressed about what I had done to myself, I told my sis I would rather die than be so fat. I am serious. I will starve before I will not lose this weight. I am sick to death of being fat. Sorry for the rant.

Ilene
06-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Very interesting Bob and not a rant at all... I finally figured out who you are over on MDA :lol: ...

BibBob
06-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Here's an abstract about my plan for July. (http://www.citeulike.org/group/3530/article/5930284)

Grok and Grol. ;)

srmb60
06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
This time I just wrote that cole slaw recipe down. I've had to go hunting for it every time. Laptops are wonderful but that kind of favourite should be in the kitchen!

tymaboy
06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I kept track of my intake today. My calories are on the low side

CALORIES 1,021
CARBS 29
FAT 75
PROTEIN 63

BibBob
06-19-2010, 11:24 PM
You gals snuck off to that dark room to eat chocolate chip cookies without me again, dinchya?

Happy Fathers Day to me. I get filet mignons, jumbo shrimps, and lambkabobs. Woot!

I'm keeping it primal but my dear sister wants to help me because I have done a bunch of stuff for her. She bought me a huge bag of chocolate covered Acai berries. Oy. She also bought me pounds of almonds, walnuts and cashews! Aaaaah! :)

She is awesome, and she is trying, and I just thanked her, but sheeesh.

BibBob
06-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Tyma, I wish I had an answer. I lose weight on the hour with that kind of intake. Obviously, it is just harder for some. I wish I understood it. I have discovered I need a couple days under 20 grams of carbs to settle into ketosis. I know I keep bringing that up. It's just that I find low carbing awful and not very productive unless I am manufacturing ketones.

srmb60
06-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Family day yesterday!

DH deep fried a turkey which was wonderful! I made that cole slaw and it was good. DD brought potato salad that was delicious but not very primal ;) Grandbaby was feeding me the licorice allsorts she brought for Poppy. How could I not eat a couple ???

Tymaboy? Let me think a little ... want to tell us what made up your carbs?

CJZee
06-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Bob! Happy Father's Day!

I'm in a cheap motel somewhere in South Carolina. Because it's Sunday and because it's South Carolina, most of the restaurants hereabouts are closed.

The trip thus far has been okay trip-wise, food-wise has been marginal for me. I haven't gone off the deep end or anything, but I have so much more control at home. Tomorrow I will make better choices! (I said it, so it must be true.)

I keep looking at myself in these hotel mirrors ... I don't have a full length mirror at home. I'm looking *almost* normal. It is a delight.

tymaboy
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Friday nite after I posted my last post I went & made a can of Tuna - no carbs high protein. Sat. I weighed myself & was back down to 144. I did not eat very good this weekend (graduation party & neighbors anniversary) I did eat carbs & had a few drinks but I did not go over board on any of it, when I weighed myself this morning I was still at 144! Even though I strayed off my normal diet I made sure to eat more protein then I normally do when I allow myself to stray.

BibBob
06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, I toast my departed dear Father every year with my brother and sisters, even if it is just on the phone, and that led to a three glasses of champagne and a handful+ of those damned chocolate covered acai berries. What lame health food that is. Sigh. I had a sugar headache this morning probably exacerbated by the alcohol.

Fast today. I'll eat on Tuesday. Since I don't weigh, I can't be sure, but I am sensing a little plateau.

srmb60
06-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Good morning!

I've got a nice lunch for you ...

Crumbled up fried ground beef, sour cream, grated cheese and salsa. We loved it and will have it again. We could have done that over lettuces, I suppose but I didn't have any. Taco salad?

BibBob
06-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, Susan. That is definitely go to food for me lately. Try it with other meats too. Chunked chicken or pork work very well with the salsa and sour cream. I do generally serve it over a very basic salad. I am using sour cream as salad dressing lately. I love it. Very little red wine vinegar to brighten the greens, and then a coating of sour cream. Last night I sliced steak that was grilled sunday over that salad and that was my meal for the day. It was a huge salad!

I'm not drinking milk, and I'm barely eating cheese, so sour cream and homemade yogurt are my primary sources of dairy now. I'm good with that because of the probiotics.

Ilene
06-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Crumbled up fried ground beef, sour cream, grated cheese and salsa. We loved it and will have it again. We could have done that over lettuces, I suppose but I didn't have any. Taco salad?:hun: I usually make that when everyone else eats Tacos...

walking2lose
06-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi all (shout out to friends from Featherweights Susan and Ilene -- isn't this better than calorie counting??!),

I just wanted to pop in and say I've been doing primal for 5 weeks or so and really love it. I've lost almost 10lbs and plan to post here more this summer (I teach; my year was crazy, but I'm now off for summer).

I have read Primal Blueprint, I frequent marksdailyapple.com, and I'm waiting for Good Calories, Bad Calories to arrive so I can read it. I still have LOTS to learn and lots of questions, as this approach is the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what I have always done and believed. But I must say... I feel great in so many ways -- weight loss, skin, energy, sleep, etc.

Looking forward to joining the conversation here this summer!

Ilene
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
:welcome: to Primal W2L :wave:

srmb60
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Claire! Good to see you here!

Ilene
06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Claire, I agree that Primal is much easier than calorie counting...

wendyland
06-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Good morning!

I've got a nice lunch for you ...

Crumbled up fried ground beef, sour cream, grated cheese and salsa. We loved it and will have it again. We could have done that over lettuces, I suppose but I didn't have any. Taco salad?

I could eat taco salad almost everyday. It's one of my favorites and so easy.

wendyland
06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm doing halfway good on primal. I just had an intense project at work, so I've been working night and day. I finally have a breather. And we're in the process of buying a weekend cabin. I can't wait to have a refuge in the country.

I can't believe I'm not craving chocolate or sweets anymore. I haven't even touched my dark chocolate in over a week. I'm still eating a little sugar, but it's mainly in my tea and I've gone way done. I can barely gag things that are too sweet.

I've lost a little bit. Maybe 6 or 7 lbs. It's slow, but that's fine.

katerina11
06-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Claire, I agree that Primal is much easier than calorie counting...

You said it!

It's easier not to count and it's easier not to overeat if you eat primal (or primal-ish. I use dairy more than I should).

This is the only way of eating that for me has ever seemed sustainable while losing weight. :carrot:

That said, I am not eating all that well. Take today, I've had ice tea with fake sweetener, cashews, feta cheese and some green olives. I am too exhausted to cook, and refuse to buy fast food, so I've been picking at stuff. Hopefully my husband will come home and feel sorry for me and cook. :^: :D

srmb60
06-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Picking is one of the reasons I like eating primally. A pepperette, a chunk of cheese ... which I don't have to meaure or weigh ... I'm surprised how often I'm not hungry enough to bother with anything more.

Yesterday, I picked some greens while I was in the garden checking things. I tossed them in a pot to cook down. We never had it for a meal. I just picked away at it.

walking2lose
06-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I could eat taco salad almost everyday. It's one of my favorites and so easy.

That does sound good, Susan. We made meatza tonight for first time with ground venison. It was delicious! Thanks for the inspiration!

tymaboy
06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Good morning. Havent posted here for a few days, I've been sick. I have lost a lb due to it (wish it was more) I just hope that lb will stay off now that I am eating again. Is Primal easier then low carb? I am thinking of trying something different but there are so many different diets that I just dont know. I dont like having to count calories or anything.

Ilene
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Tyma -- I really like Primal because of not having to count calories, but I still do count calories, but now I count carbs too... I`m anal like that ...

Something funny happened this morning... I made my 2 egg omellette with red peppers, a sprinkle of cheese, started eating it, got distracted, came back to the table, looked at my plate and I was stuffed after only eating a quarter of it... This is another good thing about primal, I am definitely not as hungry as before, Ő've never looked at a plate of food partially eaten and thought I was full... :cp:

srmb60
06-25-2010, 09:18 AM
For many years, I've been scratching my head about low carb. What's normal carb? Do most of eat high carb? If I don't know what's mid carb, can I be low carb????

By default, if I eat no grain and no sugar, my carbs are lower.

Tymaboy? Are you finding low carb difficult? How so?

Ilene
06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
For many years, I've been scratching my head about low carb. What's normal carb? Do most of eat high carb? If I don't know what's mid carb, can I be low carb????

Tymaboy? Are you finding low carb difficult? How so?Hi Susan, we posted at the same time :wave: .... I agree that by default no grains and sugar = lower carbs along with a more satiated feeling...

CJZee
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone! I have finally arrived at my destination. I'm pretty happy my weight has stayed the same since leaving home.

Now I've got to kick it into higher gear ... I'm going to a wedding overseas in 6 weeks and I will be in Onederland!

tymaboy
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Tymaboy? Are you finding low carb difficult? How so?

Before going back to low carb pretty much everything we ate was carbs. Lots of pasta, potatoes etc. Its very easy to eat alot of carbs. The 1st week of going low carb this time around was very hard, I really think I was was having with draw symptoms. Before starting the diet I tried to be careful as to how much sweets I ate ( hard to do when the rest of the family doesnt really care) I have been really paying attention to the labels & it seems like everything that I would like is high in carbs, even though I dont think it would be that bad for me. I feel that I need to find something that I can enjoy more without having to pay attention so much to the amount of carbs & not count calories. I also need to get off my butt & go work out.

srmb60
06-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Feeding a family does add a twist, I think. Do you make one-dish dinners or meat and potato type meals?

Ilene
06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Tyma -- I have a family of 4 adults living at home... They all eat lots of carbs, It IS very very hard, but I guess I'm stuborn :lol: and I don't eat their carbs or sugars anymore. It does get easier with time...

Susan, brings up a good point, I always make meat and potato type meals with a vegetable. Since eating Primal I now make 2 different vegetables, a BAS salad and another veggie most often a grilled in the oven veggie... I make a carb for them, eg: rice, pasta, potato etc...... I fill my plate with meat and two different veggies, no carb. Well, lo and behold the last few times I've made a carb, rice or pasta, they barely touched it, I had to throw it out a few days later. So now they are eating mostly the 2 veggies I make... My family does not know I am doing low carb, no one does... I don't mention it because I don't want to answer to all the blah, blah, blah good or bad of low carb eating... All I know about low carbing is that I feel better, no more bloat, gas, etc......

walking2lose
06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Tyma -- . All I know about low carbing is that I feel better, no more bloat, gas, etc......

ME TOO!

Down to 146 this morning!

Ilene
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM
ME TOO!

Down to 146 this morning!:woohoo:

srmb60
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh my goodness! Full fat cottage cheese is delicious! and local tomatoes ... what a nice lunch.

Maybe if we post some of the things we're eating, it'll give Tymaboy some ideas.

Ilene
06-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe if we post some of the things we're eating, it'll give Tymaboy some ideas.

You so smart Susan ;) ... My breakfast this morning was a 2 egg omelette with red peppers, fried in coconut oil... Lunch, since I didn't eat all of my omelette I threw it on top of coleslaw with salad dressing for lunch... Supper will be a Meatza :hun: , I'm so looking forward to that ...

katerina11
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
for tymaboy (what we eat. good idea, Susan!)

today i've had thai green curry at a thai restaurant. made from their spices, coconut milk, red peppers, green beans, onion, jicama, and chicken. they served it with rice (separate bowl), but i just didnt eat it.

tonight im making coconut shrimp. i'll probably have a big *** salad, with lemon juice, olive oil and S&P for a dressing (my favorite dressing and so easy!)

yesterday i picked at feta cheese, olives, cashews and ate a steak when my husband came home.

i love eggs so eat them often and i eat bacon frequently with it.

tymaboy, for weeks i went through horrible cravings for sugar/carbs but then i got to the other side and i am happy here. this is coming from a SERIOUS carb freak. i LOVED all forms of carbs. and its done now. i still reminisce, like today, my son had some mango ice cream after his bangkok beef, but i didn't try it, even though i wanted to, but it's a more wistful desire rather than a craving. i know im happier this way my body feels so much better, so i don't backtrack. not worth it.

CJZee! You are so gonna rock onederland within six weeks. I know it!:carrot::carrot:

walking2lose way to go on the 146!!! :cheer3:

Ilene
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Snack this afternoon ... about 3/4 cup full fat yogurt with half an avocado thrown it it with vanilla and cinnamon... Weird I know but it was good, really!! It was very filling...

srmb60
06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Supper - chopped bacon, sausage meat, chopped potato, chopped onion, snipped up spinach, scrambled in eggs with grated cheese on top!

I had to juggle two fry pans to get everything cooked properly.

BibBob
06-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I hardly eat anymore.

Hi everyone. Ilene my mom has been on a cooking binge and twice now my kid has said no to baked potatoes. Hah! I am proud.

I am working nervously towards my weigh day next Thursday after some pretty high carb slip ups that will not happen again. Did I mention chocolate covered acai berries somewhere. Yeah those. I probably ate 30 of the little buggers and what a headache I had. No doubt I am still struggling with prediabetic reactions to high glycemic foods.

I have completed 8 of my extended intermittent fasts and have two to go this month. The last one ended today at the 40 hour mark. I broke the fast with a small serving of liver and onions. At the 45 hour mark I had a decent meal, 5 ounces of steak with a dollop of cultured butter, some steamed cabbage and carrots. A handful of mixed nuts was dessert. I quit counting carbs but the intermittent fasting is really making calorie restriction easy. For the past two days I am easily under 1000 calories day and I have not been hungry. My energy level was waning late yesterday and most of this morning, but I was fortunately sedentary. Filled up with good primal fuel I am going to head out for one of my long desert hikes.

tymaboy
06-25-2010, 11:54 PM
I had a busy day today. I did not eat breakfast (I know bad). I had my 2 cups off coffee (cream & splenda) for a snack (since I missed breakfast) a hard boiled egg. Lunch was some frozen vegetables (low on groceries) After my parent interview (I do daycare) I went to the store. It was getting late & DH was working on getting the hot tub running so I opted for something quick. I was going to cheat but decided to be a good girl. We made hot dogs. I did not have the bun instead I chopped it up put it in a salad. I also put on a few teaspoons of the chili w/ no bean on top of it.

srmb60
06-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Good morning!

Coffee with cream and a hard boiled egg sounds like my kinda snack ... yum!

I got some real live exercise in yesterday. A short walk outside, 20 minutes on the elliptical and weights!

BibBob
06-26-2010, 07:09 AM
It's been too hot for my long hikes, but yesterday I started one at sunset but mostly in the dark. I am sore. I think all that walking I did in May was a big part of my weight loss, but even if not, the health benefits were terrific. I just sat on my butt for about 3 weeks and it feels like I am back to square one. I woke up at 4am very hurt from walking. My left foot is inflamed, tendonitis in the big toe and my achilles. Ouch. My right knee is too weak to support my weight. LOL I am a mess after a 6 mile walk. ???

I have so far to go and I'm so impatient. I'm thinking of giving up sitting. Mark Sisson has done an article about it. Somehow I have to get indoor exercise and/or physical therapy indoors until mid September. The benefits of standing seem pretty solid.

BibBob
06-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Fast #9 starts after dinner tonight, which is going to be a creme fraiche beef stew with carrot, onion, zucchini and mushroom. It will be served with a BAS spinach salad with lots of sardines and eggs. I like eating this way.

koceank29
06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone, looks like you're eating well!

I just got back from 6 days at the beach and am running to the store to restock.

It was a very Primal vacation, I was proud that I maintained my lifestyle even in the midst of carb and sugar eating family members. My dad really needs to lose weight for physical reasons and he just won't take that step to do it, and my step-mother enables him to eat whatever junk he wants...and don't get me started on my step-sister who is a vegetarian and eats only fake meats,chips,cheese,and junk foods, I don't think I saw a vegetable enter her mouth unless it was smothered in ranch dressing. I really learned alot about myself this trip and where I want to continue to go with this lifestyle.

They celebrated my kids birthdays while we were there since they won't see them next month and we had birthday cake and ice cream. I decided I'd have 1 mini scoop of ice cream and 1 tiny slice of cake, so I ate the ice cream(about 3 bites) and 2 bites of the cake and had stomach pains all night and you don't want info on the next morning. Let me just say...sugar is not my friend! Glad I didn't eat much!

I am so anxious to get on the scale in the morning, I think I've dropped 5 lbs! I just bought a new pair of shorts and shirt before leaving that I got in a normal store rather than the plus size dept, I haven't been able to buy anything in there in at least 8-9 yrs, so that was nice. I leave in 19 days for our 10 day trip and that trip will have lots of walking and kayaking so I am thinking if I lost 5 this past week I definitely will lose more on that trip. Its feels so great to be able to go out and do things and not be thinking of food, I really feel like I'm just enjoying life and not worrying anymore about snacks and meals, unfortunately all the people around me are so it gets annoying...I just want to scream that they don't have to eat every 3 hours, they will live! Oh well!

CJZee
06-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone ...

Today -- we were in the car all morning, so "breakfast" was a series of snack foods:
coffee
hard salami
cheese
nuts with no added oils
dark chocolate square with probiotics
Lunch:
big a*s*s salad with grilled chicken
a low-carb beer
Dinner:
Fage Greek yogurt with blackberries and Splenda
Applegate farms turkey hotdogs (no nitrates or nitrites)
Probably a little cheese and wine (haven't eaten yet)

Light on the veggies today, better tomorrow.

katerina11
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
breakfast
nothing

lunch
almonds and small handful raisins
muscle milk (went to the movies and these were my movie treats. muscle milk is the best substitute for sweets i've found)

dinner
salad with sliced almonds, parmesan cheese, no sugar bacon dressing, bacon and sliced sirloin steak
2 glasses chardonnay

not super primal with the wine and raisins, but i'm glad i'm not eating grains or sugary foods.

tymaboy
06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
I was bad today, I had pasta salad. My neighbor mad ribs & a cabbage dish & wanted me to make something. I cut up some cantaloupe & watermelon & made some pasta salad with cucumbers & tomatoes in it. I didnt eat a ton of the salad but I know I should not have had it.

Dont remember if I mentioned that DH & I got a hot tub this week, well we finaly got it running today. We dont have the heat hooked up due to the fact that we dont need it & the garage cant handle the extra load. I got burnt today. I did not realize that I was out that long. Whats weird is my thigh area got the worst of it & I had my feet hanging out the side of the tub so I would have thought they lower part of my legs & feet would have burnt but they didnt.

BibBob
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I decided not to let the aches and pains slow me down and took my favorite desert trail about 3pm in 100 degree weather. Bad idea. I was really dragging by the time I got back to the car. I was also getting the chills while walking. That's probably a bad sign. I won't do that again. but I do actually feel a little better physically and mentally. Nonetheless, I am dragging and feel like I have hit a wall.

Kathy -- the Chinese date alcohol back to prehistory, stone age, cave man. hehe! Humans are too smart not to fortuitously discover alcohol. We know they preserved foods with fermentation. How much fun they must have had when they fermented a little fruit. Booze is good for us. I wouldn't consider a diet that denied it. Dr. Guyenet's recent piece was great news. (http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/05/does-red-wine-protect-cardiovascular.html)It's not the resveratrol or anti-oxidants that make wine healthy. It's the booze! Yay tequila.

Kara, your post was generally uplifting and appreciated. Glad you're doing well. I shall toast to you buying clothes in the normal store. THAT will be a great day for me. My waist... umm... hit 65 inches. Remember when those people around you get too annoying, there's always alcohol!

Tyma, congrats on all the vitamin D. Five laps around the hot tub for the pasta! That's why we have 20%. I think it's healthy to stop considering it cheating and instead considering it part of the sustainable lifestyle we have adopted. 20% whatever makes you happy is approved by all, healthy as can be, part of the plan and not cheating. Yay tequila!

CJ, good job keeping the beer low carb, but did you know tequila is no carb? Yay!

Yes, I may be little loopy from the heat. :)

Ilene
06-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Well I've had my fair share of alcohol last night :cheers: .... When I got up this morning DH asked how I felt, I said fine, why? Then he said I was pretty drunk last night? Me?? Drunk?? I don't remember :rofl: Drinking wine out of those boxes with a spout is not a good idea, can't see how many bottles we drink :lol: Today we went to a BBQ drank 2 glasses of wine there :faint: OYE!! and desert... Thank goodness for that 20% ...

Tomorrow I will definitely exercise....

srmb60
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh Ilene!

I tried a carb refeed last night. Brown rice, rhubarb sauce and bananas. I'll try to explain my thinking after I've done a few other things I have to do on the internet this morning ;)

srmb60
06-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I am sooo happy! I think I'm going to cry ... first things first ...

I did a bunch of reading about raising leptin, old damaged metabolisms, women and primal. I am stuck at around about 128-130. Some days, I couldn't possibly be any lower carb.
What I came up with was carb refeeding. So I carbed it up last evening. Today, I should eat very primally and exercise.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Now for the good news! I've been feeling kinda down and set upon by life lately. Just lifes difficulties, ya know? Usually I use church as a reason to get froofed up a bit ... skirt, dress, shoes. But I don't feel like it today. So I got all packed into my controlling garments and pulled out a pair of walking shorts. Size 2 from Old Navy. I coulda pulled them right off without undoing the fly. So, here I am in size 2 shorts in normal (comfortable) gotchers.
I really don't understand this "changes in body composition" thing but I like it! I am so happy, so very happy .... shallow huh?

koceank29
06-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Yay for Tequila, that will be my go to at the beach in 18 days.

Ilene, those wine boxes are designed that way, they don't want us to know how much we're consuming! Glad you had fun and didn't have to pay for it too much this morning.

Susan, congrats on the shorts! I agree, the whole body composition thing is great, even though I haven't lost much weight recently I still look smaller and fit in smaller sizes. And, its not shallow, you should feel proud!

Tyma, that sounds like fun...hot tubs are great! Weird getting sunburned in those spots though, could've been worse!

Bob: Even though you started feeling bad during the hike, thats great you went ahead with it, I think the best thing for aches sometimes is to keep moving and don't let them win. But maybe next time you could wait until evening, that 100 degree stuff is a killer.

BibBob
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Susan the Leptin, Ghrelin, Insulin information has me excited about understanding and modifying these mechanisms that make me obese and unhealthy. I'm reprogramming my genes. I am so grateful for the research, and when asked about my wieght loss now, I often say "I got this this time". I believe that.

I think you and Ilene and Tyma all read like good candidates for weekly refeeds. I'm not convinced refeeds are bad for the rest of us either. My sugar refeed with the chocolate acai berries was awful. I cannot consume sugar. Major setback and horrific headaches. It may be too late for me to avoid diabetes, but I can certainly control it. Even the sugar in booze needs to be minimized. But the refeed I did with that MetRx bar actually may have jump started me a little. I agree with Mark that these types of "hacks" need to be used with caution. Less is more. More carbs regularly would send me on a yo yo. Carbs too low for too long puts me in a funk. A refeed as part of an ongoing low carb program seems like a great way to get leptin back on the job. I just have a hard time eating low fat carbs. If I refeed, I want real pizza. And body composition is more important to me than the scale. Great job. Stay happy, it's contagious.

Thanks Kara -- I know I have stay active, but this weather makes it difficult. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

Today is fast #9 for June. Weigh in five days.

Ilene
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Bob, I'm excited to see your results for June :dance: ...

My scale hasn't moved except up and down two pounds all month, but I feel good and my body looks better...BUT I still wish the scale would move :tantrum:

Susan, you got me reading on refeeds... I'm doing them all backwards :lol: the recommendation is to refeed always after really big workouts... I feast on my carbs then feel guilty and exercise my brains out :lol: ... As I did today, 1 hour of biking 20k/12.5m ( I think prefer to say kms because geez 12.5 miles seems so short :lol: ) had a 2 hour rest, then DD and I went for 10k/6m roller blading...It was a good day, also a good Primal with the exception of one beer while BBQing supper...

walking2lose
06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
:woohoo:

WOOT!!:broc:

walking2lose
06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Just got back from quick trip to Pa. Will have to catch up tomorrow... looks like lots of good stuff from my quick skim.

tymaboy
06-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I have done a little more research on the primal diet. From what I understand I can eat pretty much all the fruits & veggies I want except for potatoes, rice,corn & pasta. I am curious about sugars- Is fruit that is high in natural sugar OK? How much carbs (if any) do you eat? On the low carb diet there are some veggies & fruit that they suggest not eating. In the past I have not eaten a lot of fruits & veggies but a lot of the ones I do like are on that list, from what I understand I can eat those on primal.

Ilene
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you have the Primal Blue Print book Tyma? Here is a good article "How to succeed with the Primal Blue Print (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/) ... Fruits with a low glycemic index (GI) are best, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries... Keep away from grains, whole wheat breads, oatmeal, cereals, etc...Keep track of your macro nutrients on Fitday.com... I aim for less than 50g of carbs/day.....

tymaboy
06-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I did see that site before. No I do not have the book. I will have to check to see if Borders has it. I am sure the book will be able to explain everything better to me compared to trying to find all the info on the net.

BibBob
06-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Bob, I'm excited to see your results for June :dance: ... .

I can't imagine the number being under 15 pounds just by the way my clothes fit. I'll be very disappointed if it is less. I'll take anything 15 or better. I am really hoping for another 25 or so. I don't think about weighing very often, but when I do I get a little nervous. My dang mom just insulted me.

In the voice of an old cat, she said: "You're losing it in your shoulders but your belly is as big as ever."

Ugh, I hate that kind of comment. For the record, I have lost 12 inches from my waist. Grrr.

srmb60
06-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Good morning!

Yesterday we went to Goderich and walked the boardwalk. If you're ever in the area vacationing ... it's lovely. Even with horrible weather blowing up from the lake.

My weight is up again but my abdomen feels awesome! I keep thinking about that adage "good abs are made in the kitchen".
I'm kinda looking forward to measuring on Thursday. I can certainly see a difference in my clothing ;)

I was wondering if, when someone starts the July thread, we should make a link to Primal Blueprint 101. That would help folks who wonder what the heck we're doing.

koceank29
06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Bob- Moms are good like that! I ignore my own, she has only confirmed to others that I'm losing weight, she has not once said I look good or I'm doing good. You're doing great, 12 inches around the middle is nothing to laugh at, that is wonderful! I think the bigger you are the longer it takes for people to really notice.

Susan, one day my family will make it to Canada for a vacation, we'd have to go during the warm months as we both are not cold weather people. I'm sure it is beautiful. Good idea for the July thread.

Tyma- I also keep my carbs under 50g for weight loss, Primal eating really is nothing processed, its about eating from the earth. Fruits as Ilene mentioned need to be watched, many are pure sugar. I stick to berries and splurge sometimes on others, I have to be careful of eating too much fruit it will have me wanting more sugar in the form of cakes.

CJZee
06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Bob - I read about the Leptin, Ghrelin, Insulin you are attempting to modify with diet and IF. If you run across any good links on these, can you make note of them for me?

Your momís comment was uncalled for, I do not understand why people arenít supportive or, at least, why they donít keep their mouth shut. Ditto for you Kara. What are people thinking???

I have been losing inches like mad on my hips and thighs where I carry a lot of weight, but everyone is noticing my shoulders and neckline which have always been slim and are now super-slim. So far Iím lucky in that everything has tightened up beautifully (thank you sweet body!)

Iím more excited about the bottom half because Iím fitting into size 14-16 pants which I havenít been in for 30 years probably. Either pants sizes have gotten bigger or I have shrunk down proportionately more on the bottom, probably a little of both.

So ... yesterday I was walking with my sweetie up to a Starbucks, and I saw us both in a plate glass window. Heís a normal-sized guy and Iíve always hated these ďplate-glass windowĒ moments because Iím so much bigger than him. But ...yesterday ... I didnít look that much different. My hips and legs are bigger than his, but generally Iím almost *correct* when compared with him.

Susan -- woot on those *big* size 2 shorts. You must be tiny.

Tyma -- the link Ilene provided gives you everything you need to know. It's actually easy -- eat protein and veggies. Keep your carbs around 50 grams per day.

koceank29
06-28-2010, 09:34 AM
CJ- Congrats on the size 14-16, I bet you are feeling great. I know exactly how you feel about those plate glass windows, I was always like that in the grocery store when I'd walk by the frozen food sections and see my reflection in those doors, yikes. Now I just walk by and think, oh, I'm not huge, great. Same with pictures, I can look at them now. I'm happy for you that everything is tightening up, my body is still flabby in the upper arms area, but hopefully these pushups will keep tightening them some, its bearable though, they are huge anymore.

Ilene
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Bob -- :hug: Mothers :rolleyes: they are special ... I just hope I don't stay stupid mother things to my DD ...

Susan -- I completely understand about weight being slightly up but stomach flat :shrug: ... I can ęalmostĽ :lol: see some abs ...

Tyma -- Marksdailyapple.com is a very good site for PrimalBlueprintinformation... Keep reading it, you'll understand the lifestyle a lot better....

CJ -- :bravo: on the smaller booty :D

tymaboy
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
I went out this morning & bought the book. DS & I also stopped at Chanps for lunch. I got the Cob salad (avocado, blue cheese, bacon, chix, tomato & black olives) Not sure if that was a good choice or not but I do know it is much better then what I could have gotten. Thanks everyone!

tymaboy
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you that I also bought some coconut oil (not the pills) Do I use that instead of regular oil or butter in the pans to fry eggs & what not?

Ilene
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you that I also bought some coconut oil (not the pills) Do I use that instead of regular oil or butter in the pans to fry eggs & what not?Yes :yes: ... Many of us use it in our coffee along with our cream or coconut milk...

tymaboy
06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes :yes: ... Many of us use it in our coffee along with our cream or coconut milk...

what I got looks more like lard. I dont think I want to put that in my coffee. I bought it at GNC.

walking2lose
06-28-2010, 01:40 PM
what I got looks more like lard. I dont think I want to put that in my coffee. I bought it at GNC.

Tyma - it does solidify at room temp, but I have been putting about half a teaspoon in my coffee with either a little heavy cream or a splash of coc. milk. The oil melts into the coffee. It seems like a weird thing to put in coffee, but it tastes good (yes, it does have a mild coc flavor, which I do enjoy). I do not enjoy eggs in the oil as much - I've been cooking my eggs in butter (yum).

The cobb salad, by the way, sounds very primal! I am still working on my book too ... learning and learning.

Ilene
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM
what I got looks more like lard. I dont think I want to put that in my coffee. I bought it at GNC.Yep :lol: took me a while to try it out but it's really nice in coffee...

walking2lose -- The one I got has no flavour and is very nice to fry in... Tuna and salmon patties fry up really nicely because it has a higher heating point than say olive oil...

BibBob
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Ilene, what brand has no flavor? I have the GNC stuff in my coffee right now. I also have Nutiva, which seems identical to GNC, both too coconutty for most cooking purposes. Maybe it's just me. Great in coffee though, Tyma.

Thanks all for the support re: mom. She's a generally negative sort like that, but she also has great primal recipes. Got me eating liver this week! :)

CJ -- I am pretty sure I will launch my own little blog on topic in July. I am turning over a business blog I wrote for four years to a new author who is smarter than me anyway, and I will use the freed up time to chronicle my weight loss story. So all the leptin, ghrelin and insulin stuff I am focused on will be posted there right away. It is currently very unorganized in my bookmarks, but the good news is three simple things seem to amp up the chemical sensitivities. Low carb eating, gut flora health, and intermittent fasting. A fourth is this notion of low fat complex carb refeeds. On a more controversial note, I am becoming quite enamored with research into calorie restriction.

Kara - I was in Kmart yesterday and feeling pretty good about the smaller image in the windows. I kept asking my kid if I was fatter than this person or that person. hehe. She kept saying, "No daddy, that person is fatter than you now". I definitely love my daughter more than my mom.

W2L -- I too do not like the coconut oil in eggs, or with beef, or well, EVOO is still my oil of choice.

Fast #9 is in the books, still going strong actually at exactly 36 hours. One more to go on Wednesday, then I weigh, then I do it every other day in July. Outdoor exercise is out of the question for weeks to come now. It will hit 113 today, and it will not go below 95 at 3am. Sigh. I want to move to Hawaii.

koceank29
06-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Bob: Spectrum has no flavor if you can find it, I got mine at the local grocery. Can we all move to Hawaii and start a Primal community? I can only dream!

I have been so hungry today, not really sure why. I am just letting myself eat and then maybe by tomorrow my body will be ready for an IF. My fat intake is high today, and I'm a bit low on protein, I'll evaluate tomorrow if I still feel famished. Its strange because usually I go 6-12 hours without eating and today I just feel like my stomach is an empty pit.

Ilene
06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Bob here is the coconut oil I use Omega Nutrition (http://www.omeganutrition.com/products-gourmet-coconut.php)
http://www.omeganutrition.com/images/products/Coconut-Oil-16.jpg

tymaboy
06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I just used mine on my green beans. I barely tasted the coconut flavor.

CJZee
06-29-2010, 07:04 AM
So ... I've noticed something that I like but seems a little strange. As I've gotten older, my eyebrows have thinned out quite a bit. But, they have actually filled in some during the last few months! Yay! Any explanations why?

koceank29
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
CJ: I think it has to do with the fat and cells being fixed/grown...someone else will know more specifics. I too have noticed my hair thickening and I had started getting some gray but it seems to have stopped. I've read so much lately about how fat helps our cells especially in the brain that I am amazed that this isn't more mainstream. I have a doted interest in Alzheimers as my MIL has it severely and my great-grandparents died from it years ago, the info coming out about fat and exercise to hinder the disease is promising. Sorry..that didn't answer your question...maybe Bob can fill us in on specifics!

tymaboy
06-29-2010, 08:20 AM
So ... I've noticed something that I like but seems a little strange. As I've gotten older, my eyebrows have thinned out quite a bit. But, they have actually filled in some during the last few months! Yay! Any explanations why?

Are you working out? Maybe it is some muscle one.

I tryed just a dab in my coffee this morning. It wasnt enough to taste it. Does the oil have any side effects? I'm wondering cuz after dinner I got a major headache & had to go to bed early. It could have been me cuz I am prone to them & get migraines 1-3 times a yr. I dont want to start out with the suggested dosage till I know if my body will have a negative reaction to it in anyway.

Ilene
06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
tyma -- personally I don't think it's the coconut oil but more the withdrawal of carbs... The Omega Nutrition (http://www.omeganutrition.com/products-gourmet-coconut.php) link I gave yesterday has some really good information about the benefits of CO.....

This morning I put coconut milk and oil in my coffee, žt's my breakfast :hun: ... Very good BTW....

CJZ -- I've noticed that my hair and face is oilier I don't need as much conditioner and moisturiser... I'm not sure if it's the humidity though, but seems to me when it's humid I'm not this oily...

kaplods
06-29-2010, 08:58 AM

I've noticed that hair and nail growth seems to be a sign of my body working right. When my health was at it's worst, I hadn't had to shave my legs or pluck my eyebrows for years (I still had to shave under my arms, but not very often). Ny hair was thinning at the crown, too, and my nails were growing much slower.

Now, I use hair and nail growth as one of the benchmarks, almost a barometer of how my health is doing. The fewer symptoms I'm having, the more hair I have to deal wiht (both where I want it, and where I don't).

Even the hair on my arms is thicker. It's super short and pale blonde, so it's not like I have to shave or wax my arms or anything.

Ilene
06-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I've noticed that hair and nail growth seems to be a sign of my body working right. When my health was at it's worst, I hadn't had to shave my legs or pluck my eyebrows for years (I still had to shave under my arms, but not very often). Ny hair was thinning at the crown, too, and my nails were growing much slower.
Now, I use hair and nail growth as one of the benchmarks, almost a barometer of how my health is doing. The fewer symptoms I'm having, the more hair I have to deal wiht (both where I want it, and where I don't).

Even the hair on my arms is thicker. It's super short and pale blonde, so it's not like I have to shave or wax my arms or anything.I just got an AH HA moment... my SIL, who is a vegetarian and low fat eater, is losing her hair!! This may be why... OMG what a light bulb moment... I don't think she would switch BUT I still may mention it to her...

srmb60
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I went really low fat for a while and my hair was falling out.

BibBob
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
You gals better be careful or you'll start looking like that dude in the Geico commercials. :)

I just recently read something about hair rejuvenation and longevity. I'm almost positive it was a calorie restriction study. Melatonin, L Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid and one other have been featured in my anti-aging reading. This is a very good sign you are reporting. I haven't paid attention to my graying head, but I will start.

Hope everyone is well. I'm intermittent fasting because I am not hungry. Dinner tonight is going to be a mega omega 3 salad. Can of sardines mixed into a Caesar's dressing, can of salmon dumped over the top with omega 3 hb eggs mixed in.

wildviolets
06-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi everyone, I don't post but I read YOUR posts faithfully everyday. I'm having a hard time with sweets and keeping my carbs low. But I feel great.

Anyway, I'm secretly awaiting Bob's weigh in Thursday. All the good things that are happening to you all, fill me with hope and make me feel like I'm on the right track!

Ilene
06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
:welcome: wildviolets :wave: .... My light bulb moment with carbs and sweets came when SusanB said to me when I was having sugar cravings was, the less sweets and carbs you eat the less you crave them... Thank you SusanB :hug: I bet you didn't even know that did you? :D

walking2lose
06-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome Wild!

Boy, I wish my gray hair would go away! I had a good primal day -

coffee with splash coc milk and half t. or so of coc. oil
lunch - cauliflower rice, with shaved parmesan, half an avocado, black olives, lemon juice.
dinner - grilled cobia, more cauliflower rice with sauteed squash over it, salad
dessert - 2 primal reeses

Bob - I am awaiting your weigh in too... you are an inspiration!

srmb60
06-30-2010, 05:27 AM
I don't think I even realised how attached to carbs and sweets I was. It's good to know that there is a scientific explanation for wanting three bowls of cereal or six slices of bread.

It's mind-blowing, the first time you realise that nothing horrible happens if you don't have something sweet.

I try not to pay any attention to my grey hair. I guess I'd better check.

I don't know if I'm excited about the first of the month or not. I'm anxious to see how everybody else did :D

Claire? is cobia fish?