100 lb. Club - How do you keep it up?

View Full Version : How do you keep it up?

starbrite
06-01-2010, 01:22 AM
I have begun this long and difficult journey for the third time. I have limited my carbs, am exercising, drinking litres of water and feel much better having lost a good few pounds. However what is beginning to bug me is the length of the road, and my sustainability. I know I have to do this once and for all - at 43 I don't want to carry all this excess weight and be unable to live the kind of life I want. But I'm scared, as I said I've done this twice before and put all the weight back on TWICE! I know it's a question of mental fortitude, and of conquering my fear of food, but today after 7 weeks TOP I'm fearsome of the length of future I have to be so hard on myself for. I'm sure I'm rambling, but I need to get these negative feelings out, as these are what make me fall off , as I have done countless times before. Any advice would be most welcome, I am in awe of those of you who have beaten your relationships with food.
x

yoyoma
06-01-2010, 03:11 AM
I can't offer any perspective on this yet really, but I'd suggest you post your question in the maintainer's forum to find the folks who have really come to grips with this issue over the long run.

Shmead
06-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Remember that suffering doesn't cause weight loss: if you plan is something it takes real endurance to stay on every day, you need a new plan. Endurance runs out.

This may mean you lose weight a more slowly, but you won't hate your life while you are doing it.

rockinrobin
06-01-2010, 06:51 AM
I think it's a matter of re-wiring and re-training your brain.

Once I made the DECISION to be healthy, fit, trim and THE BEST ME POSSIBLE, I knew I had no other choice but to overhaul and revamp my lifestyle and institute new healthy habits that I would incorporate into my life FOREVER. But I was okay with that. I accepted that that was the way it had to be. It had to be a PERMANENT change. But realizing that it had to be permanent and forever, freed me up to find the joy in this. Not to dread these changes, but to look forward to them. I had to therefore seek out new foods to eat, new recipes to make. I had to find wonderful, delicious foods to eat that just happened to be lower calorie.

I stopped settling for foods that just tasted good. No, taste alone was no longer sufficient for me. The food had to taste good AND be good for me. I raised my standards, started requiring more from and for myself.

The good thing is, is that when you get into this, once you get past the initial temporary discomfort stage - the stage of learning the new habits - it does get easier - and easier - and easier. It becomes second nature to you and automatic. It just becomes who you are what what you do. You don't give it a second thought. I know this sounds amazing and almost unbelievable now, but it's true. Give it time to take hold.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my life now and that also makes this a LOT easier to do forever. I never want to live another way. You just have to hang on tight for now - any way that you can, and know that it's coming. The rewards are coming, and the automatic-ness is coming too.

Lori Bell
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Hiya Starbright. I was wondering about you, I'm so glad to see that you are still trucking on...even though the trip might be getting a little boring perhaps? I truly believe that we all come to this big fork in the road about the time you have...lets call it the 7 week itch. It's kind of when reality sets in, that this is going to take a LONG time, and heck, we will probably have to do it FOREVER to keep at a heathy weight. You can quit now, and who knows when you will ever finish what you started, or you can just keep going. If you keep going you WILL get there, and let me be the 2nd to tell you it is GREAT to live in a healthy lean body. It is great not to be in a food coma 3/4 of the time. It is great to work and play along side my husband and sons and have more endurance than they do!

Now to answer your original question, "How do you keep it up?" Well, I was bound and determined to NOT be in the grave at 50 like BOTH of my parents. If I kept on the road I was on, I would no doubt be almost there. There is still no guarantee I won't make it to 50, but I have a hellava better chance now, and my quality of life now, even if I die tomorrow, is so much better...

Also, I can say that seer stubbornness has kept me going. Living in a small town and in a mostly obese community, the rumors and gossip mill was running wild for awhile with talk about why, how, how long, & when I would gain it back talk about MY weight loss. I want to prove them all wrong. :devil: hehe

paris81
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not nearly as far along as the others who've responded to you question, but I do have some thoughts anyway because I've wanted to give up many, many times.

What I try to think about, and what I eventually am forced to think about if I do slip, is the alternative to healthy eating. Not the food itself, but how I feel. When I don't eat reasonable amounts of healthy foods, I feel gross. I'm bloated, I have heartburn, I can feel my heart beating in my cheast. I feel the dryness in my eyes. And psychologically, I feel like a failure.

I realize that I have a long way to go--the rest of my life in fact, because even when I get to goal (I wrote when naturally, not if!), I'll have to keep up the work. But the alternative to pushing myself to do this is so physically and psychologically painful that it usually keeps me on a healthy track, or gets me back on a healthy track quickly if I've slipped.

Good luck! You've already lost a good amount, congrats!

TXMary2
06-01-2010, 09:24 AM
At almost 6 weeks in what I do is keep picturing myself as healthy and in shape. I visualize all the things I will do with my kids once the weight is off, I visualize myself wearing the clothes I want to wear and I visualize being off diabetes medication. Each day I worry just about the day I am in and take it one day at a time. It is too easy to get depressed thinking about the big picture and "how long" it will take to reach my goal. I remind myself that I didn't get fat overnight. I have progressively gained 10 pounds a year over the last 14 years with the last two just maintaining a high weight of between 248-258. I am setting mini goals so I can celebrate the accomplishments along the way.

You can do it! Just keep thinking of the things you want and remember that overeating won't get you those things. Overeating/being overweight has been a personal **** for me and I just don't want it anymore. Decide that you want health and not the temporary satisfaction that overeating will give you.

time2lose
06-01-2010, 09:41 AM
How do I keep it up? I have not been doing this as long as some on the board but I have been keeping it up for 21 months. There are some key words that we use here that really do apply, commitment, persistence, and stubbornness are three of them.

I think the key for me is that I accepted that I had to permanently change the way I ate and exercised. I accepted that I will always have to log my food. Then I set out to find a way of eating that I could live with forever. I had to find good healthy foods that I like and even love. I decided that I had to find a way to handle my weaknesses so that I could still lose weight. When I first started, I thought that I had to have junk food so I allowed myself a limited amount. Lo and behold, I learned that I could live without it so I tweaked my plan.

I did the same thing with my exercise. I found something that I could live with long term. At first I thought the only exercise I could do was walk so I walked. Eventually I learned that I can do more, so I added more exercise.

My advice is to find a way of eating and exercising that you can live with long term. If you give up on drastic changes, make slow changes that you can live with. They all add up. I know that you can do this!

Vladadog
06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I second what shmead said - if you can't see doing this forever then find a method you can. Because, ultimately, your changes are for life and not just to goal.

I had to give up candy and chips for me to lose weight and, yeah, that was hard. But once I'd given them up for a month I no longer craved them. It was a true addiction for me and staying clean is proving to be pretty easy but I don't allow myself any cheats for fear of the addiction taking over again. Fortunately I'm not tempted because I've discovered that really I didn't love those things - it was habit and the addiction talking and not a real love. Now, bacon, bacon I love. Good cheese, yeah love that too. But candy bars, it turns out, not so much.

So other than candy bars and chips/cheese doodle type things I haven't given up anything I loved eating so I'm not feeling deprived. Since I don't feel deprived I'm not craving things I can't have. Which makes keeping it up so much easier than any time in the past when I gave up things I loved.

Glory87
06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Like the previous posters said, I deliberately set out to create a plan that was doable for the long haul. That meant no foods I didn't like, no feeling hungry, I had to be able to order in restaurants, deal with family meals, etc etc.

I made changes as I went along, to come up with something the most sustainable.

Sure, every now and then, the whiny 5 year old inside me does a bit of dramatic foot stomping, but overall I find my lifestyle easy to keep up with. I also remind myself that I had my chance to eat whatever I wanted and that DID NOT MAKE ME HAPPY. Now, I eat mindfully, mostly healthy foods and I feel great and I look great. It's like when I go to the dentist and the guy says "you've been flossing!" and I am so pleased. I hate to floss, but I do it. Because the rewards are awesome.

If it helps, I also think of calories like money. Since I'm not a gazillionaire, I am going to have to carefully budget my money for the rest of my life. I can't just buy whatever I want, whenever I want. Sometimes, I can save up money for a big purchase, though :)

I don't know if I'd say I've beaten my relationship with food, I slip up sometimes. I know, inside, I am still the same person I have ever been when it comes to food. What helps me is avoiding foods that trigger (what is for me) a helpless feeling of MUST EAT. So, I limit cold cereal, crackers, packaged baked goods, chips. When I don't eat those foods, I don't miss them. When I do eat those foods, I want more and more more and more. Whenever I am confronted with those foods, it's an easy mental equation to think "if I eat those Wheat Thins, I will eat too many, and then I will feel bad and sad" and realize that the taste of a Wheat Thin is not worth how I will feel after. Sometimes, I fail at this mental equation process, but I am successful if I really stop and have an internal dialogue.

ubergirl
06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Just shy of a year ago, I embarked on this journey, and when I started up a fitday account, I put in my then current weight, and my goal weight.

That was when I realized that I could not get to my goal in a year, and that even if I stayed on plan for an entire year, I would "still be fat". I ended up raising my goal weight a little, and extending my time frame from 12 to 14 months. At the time, that was the most I could bear.

Now, I'm almost at the twelve month mark and I'm actually a little behind schedule. I was trying to lose 2 lbs a week, and my rate has ended up closer to 1.5.

Back then, when I started, I could not stand the thought that after a year of staying on plan, I'd still be obese-- right now, my BMI is 30, but that is down from 45.

What I did not know was how HUGE the payoff would be just for losing part of my weight. I KNEW the weight was debilitating me, but I did not realize HOW MUCH. I did not miss exercising or running or any of the things I do now, because I never did them.

I was morbidly obese for almost twenty years, and in the beginning, it was not as debilitating, but by the end, at age 47, I was feeling my health deteriorating. Now, I feel like I've gotten my youth back.

Right now, I've been stalled out for an entire month, and even gained a little in spite of being scrupulously on plan. In the past, I could NEVER have managed that-- but now, I just keep plugging on....

The goal is not only to make it to goal or to get skinny. The goal is to improve life IN THE PRESENT. Every day you make a choice to eat healthy, every pound you lose makes your life BETTER TODAY.

diyana
06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Lori and RockinRobin - I am so inspired by the tremendous success you achieved in approximately one year. My weight loss journey is going much slower due to a back injury. It's been nearly a year, and I've lost just over 20 lbs. Admittedly, my eating is not 100% on plan, but it's close.

I often wonder how I will keep this up. How I will stay on this healthy lifestyle path for the rest of my life...because I know that if I go back to how I used to eat and the sedentary lifestyle. I will quickly gain all the weight back and more, and I will not feel as youthful or energetic or happy as I do now. That being said, I wish the pounds would drop off more quickly, and I'm having one of those frustrated/depressed days.

I won't give up or give in though...for the reasons stated above. I simply can't. I may slip up, but I can't fall off the wagon. It would just lead to me being miserable, not being able to do the things I enjoy and quite possibly dead.

Starbrite - I really appreciate your posting this, as I often wonder the same things.

And I very much appreciate everyone on here. I don't post often...but I get so much inspiration and motivation from your posts.

rockinrobin
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I second what shmead said - if you can't see doing this forever then find a method you can. Because, ultimately, your changes are for life and not just to goal.

I kinda disagree with this. You're really not certain how you're going to feel in a year. Your tastes change, which is miraculous. Your desires for the *bad* stuff dies down, which is miraculous. You can't possibly know this from day one. You just can't. You will grow and change and strengthen as you progress along this journey. I'm not sure if I KNEW for certain that I COULD eat *this way* forever. I mean how was I to know just how fabulous I would feel not only being slim, but that eating this way all by it's lonesome, without being slim would feel so phenomenal? How was I to know that I COULD socialize without overfeeding myself? How was I to know that I would gladly pass up the fried chicken and greasy foods in favor of lighter fare.

So, I don't think you have to have everything all figured out from day one. I don't think you have to know for certain if you could do this forever. You have to kind of fake it till you make it. But as long as you keep striving and pushing forward - you will make. You will.

Lori Bell
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
So, I don't think you have to have everything all figured out from day one. I don't think you have to know for certain if you could do this forever. You have to kind of fake it till you make it. But as long as you keep striving and pushing forward - you will make. You will.

Oh yes, yes, yes. I totally agree with this. If I had continued to do the same things I did on day one of this journey, I would never be were I am now. (Mostly with food choices and getting the best value out of my calories.) I have learned a lot in the last couple years and tweak my plan when necessary. Nothing is set in stone. There are many successful losers on this board who start with one program, switch to another and continue with another. The important thing is to just get started...and keep going, all the while learning what is best for you.

BeachBreeze2010
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree with so many of you. For me, the light switched on when I began to focus on all of the positives. Look at this lovely food I eat now! Real food has so much more flavor than processed food. I am excited to plan my meals because they taste so good. Grilled chicken with pineapple and cilantro are a treat. I love taking the time to feed myself and my family good quality food. Junk just looks so unappealing now. Restaurant food is too greasy, heavy and salty. It makes me feel queasy thinking about all of that in my stomach. I love feeling satisfied instead of tired and sluggish all the time. I have so much energy. With that energy, I do things that make me feel proud of my body. I like to walk with my husband and friends. I like to play badmitton in the backyard with my girls in the evenings. I like to lift weights and love how my body is changing.

There is nothing negative in this. It's all great. I honestly am not even tempted with junk anymore. It just doesn't make sense to me to eat something that makes me tired and groggy when I could spend my evening eating food that I like better that gives me energy to have fun.

Like others said - I didn't have to get to goal to get this. I am not even halfway to goal. But, I have so many positive changes in my life. Once we choose to give our focus on positive things that we want, they come into our lives. I truly believe this. Focus on the negative things (I hate my thighs, dieting is so hard, I hate salads, how can I give up pizza forever, etc.) and guess what - you bring all of those things that you don't like right to you like a magnet. Just relax and have fun with it. Find foods you like, activities that make you feel good about your body and with others and just go out there and live that great life you have!

MissNibs
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Dear Starbrite, I just want to chime in to encouage you to keep going. You say you're 43? Well, sweetie, I am 62 and having to re-fight a battle I could have and should have conquered at your age and before.

You've overcome the initial big hurdle, just to get STARTED again. This is where I'm at: day one. It's just as hard, if not more so, at my age. After all, your skin is not worn out to the point of no return, and I don't forsee being able to have plastic surgery when my goal is reached.

You're still young and it is so worth it! Even if you end up ugly (Hah...that was supposed to make you laugh), you'll still feel wonderful.
But you won't. From your picture I can see you're very pretty.

You'll have your health, and that sense of victory and self-respect that so many of us have lost.

I wish you the best!

MissNibs

starbrite
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, Thank you all so much for your comments. I agree with most of what has been said, but I wrote the thread at 7am this morning before work, and did not really say what I wanted to say. I know I can do this, and it is not a question of asking people who have already achieved it, although I am inspired by you all :) What I'm really looking for is how you keep going, when you have lost x pounds, and are feeling better, but not good. When the food monster calls and you know it shouldn't be able to affect you, but it does. When you work with people who comment on your choice of clothes, hair, jewelry but when no-one notices what you are achieving. I know this is all about me, and about what I hope for, but sometimes I think the road is so hard. I have two kids, a ful time job and lots to do all the time. Sometimes getting in the exercise, and not falling into the chips is hard (I have NOT done this so far) but no I could. I live in Belgium where nothing is processed, so I have always cooked alot, just eaten too much of what I cooked. I'm not looking for answers, just a sign that despite its length, that the road can be travelled and that the future is positive.
I have beenoverwieght ALL my life - I have lived with the "What a pretty face " comment, ALL my life. I want to be slim, healthy and active - but I also want to know I can do this. Some days it feels such a LONG road, and I want to see results quicker.
Like I say I'm not looking for answers, just moral support.
Thank you for every comment, and all your welcome advice. I know I can do it, I just have dips in motivation, and alot of self doubt, which comes from a certain amount of self-loathing caused by the weight.
Bless you chickies !! x

rockinrobin
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
What I'm really looking for is how you keep going, when you have lost x pounds, and are feeling better, but not good. When the food monster calls and you know it shouldn't be able to affect you, but it does. When you work with people who comment on your choice of clothes, hair, jewelry but when no-one notices what you are achieving. I know this is all about me, and about what I hope for, but sometimes I think the road is so hard. I have two kids, a ful time job and lots to do all the time. Sometimes getting in the exercise, and not falling into the chips is hard (I have NOT done this so far) but no I could. I live in Belgium where nothing is processed, so I have always cooked alot, just eaten too much of what I cooked. I'm not looking for answers, just a sign that despite its length, that the road can be travelled and that the future is positive.
I have beenoverwieght ALL my life - I have lived with the "What a pretty face " comment, ALL my life. . Some days it feels such a LONG road, and I want to see results quicker.
Like I say I'm not looking for answers, just moral support.
Thank you for every comment, and all your welcome advice. I know I can do it, I just have dips in motivation, and alot of self doubt, which comes from a certain amount of self-loathing caused by the weight.
Bless you chickies !! x

I wonder though if you're fully committed to doing this. Because when you are fully committed to doing this - NO MATTER WHAT - it is no longer relevant whether you feel like it or not.

Motivation does peak and wane, which is why I NEVER rely on it. I rely on the decision and the commitment I made to good health.

You also speak of this being a hard road. This is hindsight on my part, but the hard of eating well doesn't compare to the hard of being morbidly obese/obese/overweight. Again, once you get into it, you will discover that eating well is no hardship or burden - but a joy and a blessing. The real hardship it turns out is to REMAIN fat.

I want to be slim, healthy and active - but I also want to know I can do this

Each and every one of us has the ABILITY to lose the weight. We are ALL capable of it. This includes you. You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. You have the power to lose the weight and keep it off. It is in your hands. KNOW that you can do this. Take comfort in it. Gain strength from it. :)

gloo
06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I can only speak for myself, and I certainly haven't been as successful as some of the amazing folks here. But I can tell you that what's different this time is sheer WANT.

I'm going to be 43 this month, and I've been varying degrees of fat and not-fat my whole life, ranging from a low 135 lbs in my early 20s to a high of 308 lbs in the not so distant past. Basically, I'm just sick of the yo yo'ing and the gaining and the feeling like crap about it and the looking back and realizing what I could have accomplished, or what my life would be like if I never doubled my weight. Doing all that just pisses me off and hurts my head, and I decided enough is enough with that.

I realize I'm not going to be perfect, I'm not going to lose 8 lbs per week a la Biggest Loser, I'm not going to have a rockin body in the next 6 months. I think coming to terms with that was one of the most liberating and positive things I've done because it lets me focus on the forward motion and successes, no matter how seemingly insignificant they may be.

For me, thinking about that giant 100+ weight loss is just way too much. Nope, can't do it, it feels like climbing Mt. Everest and I don't even own hiking boots. But I do own a pair of sweet Asics purple running shoes, and I can walk up that little hill by my house. (Wow, I should not try to use analogies before my second cup of coffee. Apologies for that sucky metaphor.)

What I can do is lose 1 pound, and then I can lose another and so on and so on. I got on the scale this morning and I finally broke out of the 270s. I haven't been in the 260s or below in more years than I can remember. The celebration I had on that scale an hour ago -- man, you would have thought I'd just won an an olympic gold medal or a Grammy or something.

I know that every day won't bring a shampoo bottle acceptance speech moment, and some of them are frankly going to be pretty crappy. Let's face it...I'm still a 5'4", 269 lb 42 year old woman. I have a long, long way to go and I could look at those stats, say F this, and curl into the fetal position with a hunk of cheese and a bottle of Pepsi. But WANTING this, visualizing being the rockstar on the outside that I am on the inside, thinking about all the healthy changes I'm making...that's how I keep it up.

If the people you work with aren't giving you positive reinforcement, come here where it's overflowing. Best support system on the internets, right here. :)

You can totally do this. Good luck and keep us posted. :hug:

diyana
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Starbrite - I can really relate to where you are at. It seems to be taking FOREVER for the pounds to come off. And it's not for lack of trying. I am exercising 6 to 7 hours a week (combination of cardio and strength training), and I am eating on plan. Is my eating 100% perfect? No...probably about 98% perfect. I know a lot of the people here who have been successful at getting to goal weight did not cheat...not once ever. I am committed...I just have a hard time ALWAYS saying "no" to my favorite foods. I really like RockinRobin's signature "Don't wail on the scale if you cheat when you eat." I just think I should be able to have a small dish of ice cream once every couple weeks or so, when I'm burning off 3,600 calories a week doing Zumba.

aubrylin
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't have anything to add to what these ladies have already told you. I'm actually reading with great interest as I am in the same boat as you. I've done this before and regained. I know how much more intimidating it is the 2nd(or 3rd) time thru. The fear of failure is real you recognize it, its darn scary. Especially because it is such a public failure out for the world to see. All I can say is just keep trudging ahead, your not alone! BIG :hug: you can do it (me too)!

diyana
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Gloo - Thanks for what you said. Your words pulled me out of the frustration and depression. I too, need to remember that it's progress not constant perfection. I'm a 47 year (young), 5'2", 214 lb woman, who is not going to lose 8 lbs per week, but I can lose a pound (or half a pound) at a time. Thanks for helping me feel better about my average of more than 0.5 lb per week weight loss for the last 12 months. I can SO do this, just as you can, just as Starbrite can, just as EVERYONE can.

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies! 3FC is the best support system ever!

starbrite
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks Gloo - you so sound like a woman I'd relate to !! The scale can be such a bonus, or a total pain. I have refused to step on after my 5.1 whoosh on Saturday.....
Rockinrobin - YES - I am totally committed - just scared - you are fortunate to have conquered your demons, and I hope for you that you continue to do so. But I have been to your weight....and back..... twice. This is an emotional and mental journey for me. One which I hope to never do again after this time. Hence the reason when I felt my resolve waver (I HAVE NOT STEPPED OFF PLAN FOR 7 WEEKS) I asked for support - not doubt from others. You are so right that we are all capable of it, but we ALL have days where we feel like we might not be (even when we get there, when you have been 300lbs you know you can put it all on again)
I am not really wavering, not really doubting my ability to do this, just questioning the road, and looking for a nice pair of sneakers, and a full water bottle to help me get there.
Thanks to all you positive people - YOU ROCK !!
x

Trazey34
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
hey Starbrite! we're the same age! I LOVE how you KNOW this is an "emotional and mental journey". For me it was that more than physical for sure. The weight was a by-product, the problem was in my BRAIN lol. One thing I know for absolute certain, is that NO ONE IS RIGHT BUT YOU!! You can read everything we all say, take what you need for your own success, but ultimately you know what will work for you. Acknowledging that it's such an emotional/mental process is more than half the battle in my opinion.

When i started so many people blathered on to me about commitment and 'just stick to it' blah blah blah, I've commited to a diet every Monday of my adult life i think LOL No, for me, I needed a simpler approach. Changed a few things and some weight came off. hmmm... Interesting. I explored why i ate like a starving wolverine and came to terms with it and suddenly I didn't need so... much? Things started changing. Was I afraid? Of course! Afraid of failing, more afraid still of succeeding, then more will be expected of me right?! ack! Again, a mental & emotional journey. Food is just food. What we think of it, feel about it, desire from it, is in US not it!

I really hope you can have some success and peace in this journey -- please join us every day to talk! talking is a good thing!

starbrite
06-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you Tracey - you truly are a sane woman !! I like what you say, and yea changing a few things has made a difference - I have lsot a good few pounds and need 88 more of those good few pounds u til I reach a weight where I can assess where I should be. Choosing your goal is so subjective, and impossible IMHO at my stage. You have done phenomenally well. Congratulations !

starbrite
06-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Just to say I'm still hanging in there !! Life has been easier, despite lots of stress at work, and the pounds continue to fall. I am very proud of my achievements so far, and delight when people have begun to notice. Lots of people have said I look really good, or well, and some have even dared to mention the weight loss itself!! I have always worked in a place where everyone has been so very positive about my looks, and to feel I deserve the nice comments has really helped.
I am aware that the losses will slow down (have a three week holiday to Florida approaching, and I am a bit concerned about it....) but I intend to stay sane, try to continue to make the right choices, and revel in the 2 sizes smaller that I have become.
I hope when I reach my initial goal weight (190), that I will be able to evaluate properly my new goal. Until then I'm going to keep drinking, moving, eating well and believing- Thanks for your support, advice and inspiration.
Sam
x

Lyn2007
06-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I am turning 41 soon, so I hear ya. Somehow I feel like, omg, if not now, WHEN?? When I am a senior citizen??? lol...

For me I will say the key is to not be afraid to try different things. Change things up. Keep going. Maybe calorie counting will work for a few months and then maybe you will need to go low carb, or maybe do some other plan or focus more on exercise or cutting out fast food. Just keep on doing things to move towards your goal. And make sure a day off plan doesn;t turn into two days, three days, a week...

For me this whole thing has been HARD. There has been nothing easy about it. It takes a lot of time and focus. But it's worth it. And the success feeds your motivation while your commitment carries you through!

knitsforfive
06-27-2010, 02:27 PM
There is still no guarantee I won't make it to 50, but I have a hellava better chance now, and my quality of life now, even if I die tomorrow, is so much better...

This is a life-changing quote for me. My father died at 42 of heart disease -- I will be 42 this summer. It has been messing with my mind. This is fantastic and motivating. Thanks.

knitsforfive
06-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I also remind myself that I had my chance to eat whatever I wanted and that DID NOT MAKE ME HAPPY.

Another life-altering quote. I might have to start a quote board for inspiration!

starbrite
06-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Go girls - you can do it !! This is not an easy road for anyone, despite what you might hear. We all have to work so hard to achieve what we are all capable of. Have pride in your achievements so far - you deserve it! I am proud of the 34 lbs I have lost this time - nothing and no-one can take that away - just a few more to go !! Keep eating right, exercising, and above all else believing. :hug:

starbrite
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Wow, interesting to come back to ! Some of the things people said really offended me at the time, but now I totally get it !! Thanks for the sound advice and for helping me stay on track. Over half way to my initial goal of 190, 55 of those pounds of fat.....GONE !!
Keep on you lovely people, together we can do this xx

starbrite
02-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Fascinating to re-read my older posts !! Still trucking on at 177 :lol:

Deena52
02-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi~

Gosh, so much I could relate about maintaining....which I've been doing for almost a year. But basically, I would say that it boils down to this:

*Nothing comes without a price. And....
*You must take VERY seriously even the slightest move down the road back from where you came.

Nothing comes without a price~

You have to repeatedly go back and review all the negatives about being the weight you were prior to losing it. Remember the misery......the misery of trying on clothing in the dressing room, the misery of even finding anything in the stores to try on in the first place, the misery of going to family functions/holidays/weddings, etc....knowing that the female relatives are all going to immediately check out who's gained and who's lost (they sure as heck do this in my family), the misery of trying to come up with excuses to get out of going to family functions......plus a whole lot of other functions and outings where I didn't want to be seen, trying to tie my shoes while holding my breath, throwing on lounge-wear as soon as I set foot in the door because I was so uncomfortable with regular clothing digging into me, getting weighed at medical appts.......and on and on and on.

I'm sure, for example, that what things were the most miserable for me, might not have been the most miserable for you, in terms of what we'd put up on the top of the list (and vice-versa).....but we all have them in our hidden closet of misery and shame, stored up in our memory. And most of us with weight problems have a list that is pretty similar to ones that the rest of us most likely have.

Then you switch to your gratitude list......how much easier it is to shop and to find things that fit you, how much more mobility you have, how less self-conscious you are now.....just the FREEDOM! The freedom to move about freely, to be able to just throw your leg over the arm of a chair easily, not worry, go to family functions and outings with NO problems, not avoid anyone taking photos, etc.....and on and on and on.

In general, we tend to remember the positives and minimizes the negative for some reason (when we look back at the past). But if we really focus hard...we will remember the true misery of of the negatives (whatever miseries it caused us as individuals)....so we can be truly realistic with ourselves about just how MUCH of a price....or a toll...we would have to pay to go backwards (gain it back....or even just start gaining it back and the emotional toll that would cost).

If you realistically and honestly take a look at the consequences...the price to pay...for falling off the wagon and heading backwards.....and remind yourself of this every time you might be weakening......it goes one heck of a long way to prevent yourself from going backwards.

You must take VERY seriously even the slightest move down the road back from where you came~

Gaining back all the lost weight is only part of the price we'd have to pay. The journey all the way there would be miserable. Every day...week...month....that seeing your weight go up...and up...and up......and telling yourself it was okay, it wasn't out-of-control yet, you could get back on track....blah, blah.....would be extremely depressing and demoralizing. Because no one knows better than WE do what those storm clouds foretell. We did this before. 5 leads to 10 and 10 leads to 15 and we KNOW that while we try to reassure ourselves that it's still manageable....it's really not. Because it isn't very easy to lose 15 lbs. again.....or 20....or 30. Yeah, compared to the total we lost, maybe....but it sure is NOT as easy as we are reassuring and rationalizing it to ourselves.

And feeling your clothes getting tighter and tighter....what else is more depressing and panic-inducing? Getting closer and closer to running out of things that fit you again.

Well.....and that's just one facet of the whole thing. And really, who the heck wants to go back THERE again?? When we love it so much HERE?

In a nutshell....asking ourselves if it would be worth it and not fooling ourselves about what we're doing and where we're headed.

So for me, I would have to say that being realistic and honest with myself, esp. about the price I would have to pay......and thinking about this often......has, IMO, contributed the most to me not gaining any of it back. And I hope this has been helpful.:)

deena

OnaMi
02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Excellent posting Denna :hug:

darway
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Kind of parlaying what RocknRobin said getting easier - the first few weeks of a dietary change can be somewhat disagreeable to one's digestive system. Initially your body is accustomed to producing the enzymes that are needed to break down greasy, salty junk ... and the E coli in your gut are too.

After "retraining" or "recalibrating" oneself from a month or so, the gas and the gurgling innards settle down, and a higher fiber diet feels normal. The situation is reversed ... eating a geasy fattening meal would feel weird "inside." The the aversion to that sensation, helps calm the tempatation to binge.

I wouldn't mind picking off a few french fries from someone's plate. But I honestly have no desire now, to order a "biggie size and a Coke" as a snack. As someone else said, just the thought of that sitting in my gut is gross!

PastriestoPushups
02-28-2011, 12:50 AM
I think that everybody who has serious issues with food need to figure out why they have these feelings. Was it something that happened in your childhood, teenage years, college years, was it a pregnancy, an abusive (physically, emotionally, sexually) relationship. Our problems all start somewhere. My eating for comfort started for me at a very very young age. I grew up with eating fast food during difficult times and now every time I have something difficult come up in my life I often want to eat very unhealthy food and lots of it. It takes time to figure out what is causing this negative relationship but I feel it is very important when it comes to conquering this beast! :hug:

Truffle
02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Thank you for this excellent thread. Subscribing so I can read it again later.