100 lb. Club - Eye Opener :|

View Full Version : Eye Opener :|

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 05:01 PM
As some of you may remember, I recently got a new pedometer. The first couple days after I received it, I wore it during a normal day for me and wow, I was walking 2000 steps but just barely! And I had believed I was fairly active, wrong! But after those first 2 days, I started walking /jogging in place during various TV shows instead of sitting on my butt watching them and my steps are now closer to 12000 which I am pretty happy about. But jeez, talk about an eye opener for me!

Arctic Mama
05-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Remember that those pedometers don't measure less than ten steps in a row. I am standing and walking around my house all day, but it is a small footprint and I stop frequently with my kids needing things, picking up a toy, etc etc. I do several thousand steps a day that the pedometer never measures because they are on short jaunts and not at a regular pace. They are good pedometers, but have serious limitations for registering unintentional exercise. They just don't do it well.

nelie
05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Remember that those pedometers don't measure less than ten steps in a row. I am standing and walking around my house all day, but it is a small footprint and I stop frequently with my kids needing things, picking up a toy, etc etc. I do several thousand steps a day that the pedometer never measures because they are on short jaunts and not at a regular pace. They are good pedometers, but have serious limitations for registering unintentional exercise. They just don't do it well.

It depends. I have a pedometer that measures single steps.

Terre
05-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I need to get one. It will probably shock me too. Do you wear them during your excerise?? I do the Leslie Sansone 3 mile boot camp 5 days a week...i bet that would add up on it

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Terre, I do wear it when I work out but I workout to videos like 30 Day Shred and Last Chance Workout so it doesn't in any way measure what I do there accurately, I am sure. I mostly got it to track my activities which I was very disappointed with myself when I saw how little I was actually moving. I did have someone else tell me that they wore their pedometer while doing a Leslie workout and it was fairly accurate for them but I have no personal experience with that.

ORSewmama
05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
It was eyeopening for me when I got one, too! Most of my steps, even around the house, are more than 10 - just going from room to room. But still, I didn't even come close to 10K until I started intentionally trying. I now pace while I'm on the phone and stuff just to get moving!

Terre - I do wear mine during exercise, but I try to make sure if I do, I exceed 10K by quite a bit. I think whatever you want to do is fine! Most of Leslie 3 mile walks put me at around 4500-5000 steps.

jumphigh
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
onederchic wow that was a good ideal to get up and move around instead of just sating there:carrot:, I am going to do that too, Thanks

Terre
05-28-2010, 05:43 PM
What brand do I need to buy that measures every step? I never have even looked at them.

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
What brand do I need to buy that measures every step? I never have even looked at them.

This is the one I have here though I am quite sure there are others that will do the job at a much less price - http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-720ITC-Pedometer-Advanced-Management/dp/B000MN92WM

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
onederchic wow that was a good ideal to get up and move around instead of just sating there:carrot:, I am going to do that too, Thanks

You're welcome and good luck :hug:

Terre
05-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Pixie!!

GirlyGirlSebas
05-28-2010, 06:04 PM
When I first started wearing my BodyBugg, I was quite surprised by how little I actually move on any given day. I'm practically comatose! :rofl:

Out of curiosity, did you notice any change in your weight loss when you started consciously moving more?

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 06:11 PM
When I first started wearing my BodyBugg, I was quite surprised by how little I actually move on any given day. I'm practically comatose! :rofl:

Out of curiosity, did you notice any change in your weight loss when you started consciously moving more?

I have just been using it this way around 1.5-2 weeks and I am not one to really focus on weight and scales and the such but I will say I do feel a lot better and energized and I have been sleeping better :)

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Pixie!!

You're welcome :)

Arctic Mama
05-28-2010, 06:36 PM
I have an omron and it is the type that won't measure less than ten consecutive steps, as far as I can tell their entire line from lower end to higher end has the same function. They are the ones that are registering fewer steps than I take when it is household activity.

Arctic Mama
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I wanted to add - my model is the HJ-113 and it is a fabulous pedometer, very accurate for almost all exercise and with just enough really useful functions and none that are superfluous. It is also a fabulous price compared to. Some of their fancier models. I do highly recommend it, but there is simply a caveat for movement with a SAHM in a living room that is less than ten steps across :lol:

Arctic Mama
05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
It depends. I have a pedometer that measures single steps.

I should clarify, mine measures every single step, AFTER ten in a row. This is their function to prevent registering bumps and jostles. It is very sensitive and highly accurate, but not for itty bitty jaunts which is what my hours and hours of standing per day consists of.

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 09:30 PM
All I know is I am loving my pedometer and am so very glad I got it since it has gotten me off my butt and moving :D

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM

My GowearFit definitely inspired me to move more and I saw a corresponding weight loss. Leaving out intentional exercise, I find that I get up and walk around a lot more at work to try to hit my target (which isn't even all that high). I'll get up and walk to a co-worker's desk instead of calling or emailing. And I try to figure out ways to make extra trips around the office - like printing something at a further away printer, going and picking it up and then going back to my desk and printing something else. Before, I'd print several things all in a row and collect them all at once.

I guess I'm a less efficient worker, but I'm a healthier one!!

it still takes formal exercise (like a WATP or something) for me to break 2500. But that was helpful info for me, both to motivate me to move more and also, to be realistic about the timeframe for my weight loss and accet that I'm going to lose more slowly that I'd like or even than I used to in the past and to not be disappointed and use that as an excuse to go off plan.

Onederchic
05-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I wanted a GowearFit but too expensive so I had to stick to pedometer lol :/