General chatter - oh my goodness

View Full Version : oh my goodness

juliastl27
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
http://www.bspcn.com/2010/05/27/25-horribly-sexist-vintage-ads/

25 sexist vintage ads. boy have things changed! these are sooo offensive, but also hilarious. im also disturbed by the idea of lysol douche!

Ciao
05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Haha. xD
I'll admit, some of them did make me laugh
just because of how STUPID they were. :lol:

ANOther
05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
My 1,000th post! Yay me! ::brass band strikes up Happy Days are Here Again, confetti falls from rafters:: :bravo: :hat: :twirly: :cheer2: :cheer3: :yay:

We now return to this regularly scheduled post:
- This isn't the first time somebody found those old Lysol-douche ads and posted a link to them, I know I have. ETA Here it is:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/118003-skin-sore-creases-2.html#post1777534
That Zonite sounds like the same idea, I bet. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TRY THIS @ HOME! :eek: :dizzy: :faint:

- "Sabrina demonstrates the world's best projection equipment": as the actress said to the bishop ...

- "Blow in her face and she'll follow you anywhere": is that what they call a bl_w j_b? ::ducks & runs::
- Fruit-flavored smokes??? OMG, get the watchdogs, they're selling tobacco to kids!

juliastl27
05-28-2010, 06:57 PM
We now return to this regularly scheduled post:
- This isn't the first time somebody found those old Lysol-douche ads and posted a link to them, I know I have. That Zonite sounds like the same idea, I bet. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE DON'T TRY THIS @ HOME! :eek: :dizzy: :faint:

yeah something about LYSOL douche seems very frightening!

Onederchic
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
o..m..g... lol

ANOther
05-28-2010, 07:43 PM
"... try this pleasant treatment for 'nerves'. Every afternoon, get into the tub with a cake of Ivory Soap": They speak OUR language! My mom and I don't DO bath salts, candles (:yikes:, fire hazard) or reading in the tub (hello, the book will get wet)! Just tub and soap, plenty relaxing enough for us. (In fact, my mom is 88, if she sat down in the tub she'd need to push her I've-fallen-and-I-can't-get-up button and get the paramedics to put her back on her feet!)

Clydegirl
05-28-2010, 08:47 PM
"... try this pleasant treatment for 'nerves'. Every afternoon, get into the tub with a cake of Ivory Soap": They speak OUR language! My mom and I don't DO bath salts, candles (:yikes:, fire hazard) or reading in the tub (hello, the book will get wet)! Just tub and soap, plenty relaxing enough for us. (In fact, my mom is 88, if she sat down in the tub she'd need to push her I've-fallen-and-I-can't-get-up button and get the paramedics to put her back on her feet!)

That one made me laugh as well. Pleasant treatment for "nerves".

I'm going to get in the tub with a cake of new ivory soap. Too funny.

Ookpik
05-29-2010, 01:12 AM
OMG! I can't fathom women using Lysol as a douche!

I wish my Women's Studies class had a website I could link this to!

ANOther
05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
It gets worse with the Lysol douches. Click this link:
http://www.cynical-c.com/?p=6696
If you scroll down to "Master Johnson", he says that the issue wasn't just "daintiness": it was contraception, which couldn't be legally advertised in the 1930s

juliastl27
05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
That one made me laugh as well. Pleasant treatment for "nerves".

I'm going to get in the tub with a cake of new ivory soap. Too funny.

yes us women need to calm our nerves, otherwise we might get "hysterical"!

EZMONEY
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
I've been around women since the day I was born....

Even married a couple.....

No bar of soap is gonna fix a woman with an "attitude".....;)

Indiabound
05-29-2010, 11:45 PM
WOW..lol!

ANOther
05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
yes us women need to calm our nerves, otherwise we might get "hysterical"!

You do know "hysterical" comes from the Greek word for "uterus", don'tcha?

lizziep
05-30-2010, 07:12 PM
and you know the treatment for "hysteria..."

wow. i personally like the medication for morning sickness- so she can start making you breakfast again.

bex
06-02-2010, 05:39 AM
This made me giggle.

yoyoma
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Thank you for posting this. I showed them to my teenage daughter. It's good for young folks to see how acceptable such openly sexist attitudes were part of this culture in the not too distant past!

astrophe
06-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Still just as bad now.

http://www.about-face.org/goo/

A.

mom4life
06-02-2010, 10:26 AM
holy cow! never thought of douching with lysol.

saef
06-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe things have not changed. The comments underneath the posting are still bothering me.

Great ads, though.