100 lb. Club - healthy foods that melt in your mouth

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I mentioned in another post that I am a supertaster - in my case, food texture also plays a huge role in what I like and dislike. There are many foods that I do actually like the taste of but cannot eat because I can't handle the texture.

The flip side of that is that I was thinking about this and realized that one of my favorite food sensations is food that will melt in my mouth. So yes, chocolate is one. Ice cream is another although I actually prefer soft serve ice cream or frozen yogurt to richer and more densely textured ice cream.

Puffy cheese doodles are another kind of melting food for me, along with pretzels. I know many people like those for the crunchiness, but I like to take a bite and let it dissolve in my mouth. Not surprisingly, I adore Sweettarts and similar candy..

Most of the time, when I'm tempted off plan, it's with one of these foods to satisfy my texture desires, along with the taste. But so far, I haven't thought of really healthy foods that melt which I could more easily fit into my eating plan.

Any suggestions? (btw, I hate dark chocolate so that isn't one I can justify as something I could enjoy in small portions because there is a health benefit too)

nelie
05-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Ok I'm going to ask but what dark chocolate have you tried? I used to be a milk chocolate person but then I started eating dark chocolate and it is my favorite now. Ritter sport is pretty good.

Melt in your mouth and healthy... well a lot of things are processed. Are you really looking for something 'healthy' or just low calorie? Like I was at Trader Joe's yesterday considering the Rainbow Chocolate sorbet which is 120 calories/serving but its all sugar.

There are things like frozen fruit (grapes, berries, etc) that kind of have a melty texture as they warm up. You could also try making your own berry sorbet or fruit sorbet so that you mix up fruit and freeze it.

WarMaiden
05-28-2010, 02:15 PM
There's plenty of dark chocolate out there that I don't like, BUT I have found that I adore Lindt chocolate. It's expensive, but it's delicious and extremely melt-in-your-mouth.

I'm not really coming up with anything else. I'm not really a texture person that much myself, though. Stuff with some fat in it should be "melty," I'd think. Creamy soups...hot chocolate made with whole milk...etc.

05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I hear you, I'm a melty person, too!

Honestly, sometimes I find that a few cubes of ice melted in my mouth give me a melty fix. But that's probably not what you had in mind. :)

Other things I can think of are ripe blackberries (I smoosh them a bit with my tongue and they deflate in my mouth. Yummy!) and Oranges, which have been a major player in my diet lately.

If I don't mind the extra sodium, I love to let pickles dissove in my mouth. A really crisp, juicy pickle dissoves wonderfully!

Okay...my mouth is watering now. Think I'll go get some ice. :lol:

05-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I was just thinking...if youhave a blender you could crush up some ice and berries and make a healthy snowcone. That sounds really good, actually!

ChrissyBean
05-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Um, what about rice cakes?

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Cita - glad I'm not the only one! I was wondering if people would think I was nuts!! lol!

I think things like sorbets or a healthy snowcone are a good idea. I try to limit fruit but it's certainly something that I could fit it and berries are definitely healthy/nutritious.

I think I was hoping someone would have some secret brand of healthy and low cal Cheez Doodles that I never heard of! lol! (I do like Pirate Booty but that's still too high calorie and sodium for me to have as anything but a very rare treat)

Re: chocolate, I've tried various brands of dark chocolate and never came close to liking any of them. Part of it is that I don't enjoy the intense flavor - even with milk chocolate, I don't like the richer and expensive brands that most people rave about, I like good old Hersheys and M&Ms. lol!

jkinboston89
05-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Hmm I know what you mean about that "melty/dissolvey" feeling. For me, popcorn REALLY does the trick! I buy a brand I've only found at walmart and their light butter version of popcorn has between 200-220 calories for the entire big bag! There are others around that have slightly more. I know they also sell 100 calorie packs of popcorn but it's never a large enough serving for me (:cool:). I know others love them, though. So yeah, it's not an extremely health conscientious choice, but it's good calorie-wise, if you squeeze it in sometimes.

Petite Powerhouse
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Healthy foods that I feel melt in my mouth? Hmmmm....

Sliced avocado

Berries (frozen berries, especially)

Watermelon

Peanut butter

Bakery-fresh whole wheat bread

Reduced-calorie mozzarella balls

Baked yams/sweet potatoes, cooked just like a baked potato, inside the skin, though you can also empty the cooked yam into a bowl and bake that with some spices (and a bit of molasses or something if you're looking for a little sugar) to give it a crisp exterior and warm, melt-in-your-mouth interior)

Ice cream made only with bananas (http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414) (Stick it in the microwave for a second if you want it creamier. I'm not a big fan of bananas, and I really like them like this.)

A hard-boiled egg, or a deviled egg that you make with mustard or some low-calorie condiment

Greek yogurt with frozen berries that have been microwaved mixed in

MutableParadox
05-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Banana Ice Cream! You only need bananas and blender. http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/stay-cool/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-093414

Coming from another supertaster I totally understand dissolving texture.

FitGirlyGirl
05-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I love melty things (yay, I'm not alone) and good goddess do I miss cheesy poofs. I have not found any healthy version and trust me, I've looked. The closest I've come is that fibergourmet.com has a healthy version of cheez-its. I haven't tried them yet (though I LOVE their pasta), but I am going to add some to my next order I think. I like to melt the no sugar fudgcicles in my mouth. I also go through a lot of skinny cow. Popcorn is another good one - I get the old fashioned kernels and put them in a paper lunch bag to create microwave air popped popcorn with no added calories from butter and no salt. I also freeze fat free yogurt in ice cube trays and melt that in my mouth. Special K crackers are good melters. Hubby suggests cheerios. All-Bran, bran buds are a bit melty and fun to roll around on the tongue. I like to freeze cool whip free and get a spoon of it and melt that - mmmm.

I need a snack now.

Terre
05-28-2010, 06:31 PM
ok...I hate dark chocholate too. I have tried every brand I have found cause its hubby's favorite so I have always tried it..but I still hate it :(

I will indulge in puff corn. I like the cheese and the butter. Not super low calories, but better than cheese puffs and chips.

I also make my own air popcorn. I spray mine with 5 sprays of ff parkay and sprinkle ff white cheddar popcorn powder on it. I love it.

I am a salty, chrunchy craver. I usually never crave sweets.

tryhardforlife
05-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Vitatops

GirlyGirlSebas
05-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Special K crackers are good melters.

Oh my, those things are good! I can't bring them into my house. I ate the whole box in one sitting.

tryhardforlife
05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/missmeringue/allproducts.d2w/report

bythenumbers
05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I just read this in a magazine today in a sample day of a healthy diet. (and there was a picture that almost made ME melt. strawberries dipped in almond butter with a dash of cinnamon on them. I haven't seen almond butter, but it looks like peanut butter. I am now on a mission to find almond butter.

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 11:01 PM
some great ideas here, thanks!! I'm glad I got over my worries that I would seem like a freak - I didn't know if they would be any other melty people out there! lol!

I forgot about those meringue cookies - I used to buy them all the time! I've never tried the sugar free ones so I'll have to check them out. But even the regular ones aren't too awful. Not exactly healthy but a better option than a lot of cookies.

I'll have to try the Vitatops too - I've seen them in the store but never tried them.

While I can easily over eat things like a lot of these ideas, I have found that I can also handle keeping my portions limited as long as I do things like take out my serving and put the box away (I know it's obvious but I also know that I don't always do it).

Tai
05-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Sometimes I put my yogurt in the freezer for a few hours before eating it to give it the consistency of ice cream. Might work for a "melty" craving.

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Sometimes I put my yogurt in the freezer for a few hours before eating it to give it the consistency of ice cream. Might work for a "melty" craving.

I generally eat plain yogurt that I add garlic and cucumber to and have with salmon or ocassionally, lamb. Not exactly the frozen melty taste I was going for! lolol!

But a good idea, I'll have to check out some of the individual containers of other flavors and give it a try.

nelie
05-28-2010, 11:25 PM
I just read this in a magazine today in a sample day of a healthy diet. (and there was a picture that almost made ME melt. strawberries dipped in almond butter with a dash of cinnamon on them. I haven't seen almond butter, but it looks like peanut butter. I am now on a mission to find almond butter.

I haven't bought peanut butter in a few years. I buy almond butter only and raw almond butter at that. If you have a trader joe's, they have a variety of almond butters. You may also find in a regular grocery store but definitely in a health food type store.

There is also cashew butter, macadamia nut butter, soy nut butter, brazil nut butter, coconut butter, etc, etc although those tend to be rarer. If you have a powerful blender/food processor, you can also make your own nut butters.

OrganizedChaos
05-29-2010, 01:43 AM
I also like to melt things in my mouth sometimes and after I read your post earlier today I tried to think of what was one of my favorite items that is crunch that I can dissolve in my mouth. I couldn't recall one then, but on my way home as I was eating this I realized it is the perfect one. The Nabisco 100 calorie pack of Oreo Thins. They are crunchy at first but if you let them sit in your mouth they start to dissolve away and the chocolate flavor hits the spot for me.

You mentioned cheez doodles, have you tried the Baked Cheeto's? I love those. I portion control mine in sandwich bags or it would be dangerous.

rachael
05-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Pirate's Booty is kind of melty like that.

Zoesmama
05-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I have never been a fan of dark chocolate either but I recently tried out the Green and Black 70% cocoa and it was bitter but I love that it has 40% of daily iron. Important for a "practicing" vegetarian, I'm slowly getting completely back there anyway. But I'm giving the dark chocolate a try. I like the fact that I don't each much of it like I will with milk chocolate.

Trying to think of my favorite melt in the mouth healthy food. Hmm I guess I'd say fresh fruit smoothies or the "ice cream" I used to make for dd when she was little. She has always been a little lactose intolerant and so I used the little hand blender I had at the time and crushed some forzen fruit with a splash of soy milk and teeny bit of ice(the frozen fruit helps make it frozen so don't need a lot) but it makes a great melt in the mouth healthy dessert.

Beverlyjoy
05-29-2010, 02:50 PM
frozen slices of banana

- using a bit of lemon juice on them will keep them from getting brown

drop50lbsforwedding
05-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I got this tip from Oprah, sugar free, fat free fudgicles. I eat them for my chocolate fix, but they can also help with your melty fix. Also try sugar free life savers. I think they are better tasting than regular ones, and they are only 30 calories for 4 of them.

HeidiNicole
05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I second whoever said frozen berries, especially raspberries! I just had some today, let them thaw slightly on the counter for 15 min or so first, and they were perfect when I ate them...I thought of this thread right away!

Lyn2007
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Hummus is good.

spaghetticat
05-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I made the banana ice cream (just a little bit as I am a low carb'r) Wow.. YUM!!!

alicia080979
05-30-2010, 07:25 PM
One of my favorite new treats is a homemade sorbet that just melts in your mouth. We recently bought a Vita Mix blender and I use frozen strawberries, carrots, squash, spinach and a little 100% white grape/peach juice and add ice cubes and blend away. It is SO delicious! It has a very fruity flavor with no added sugar and lots of veggies! I have made it with zucchini, cabbage, and a slice of lime. You can try lots of different combos!