100 lb. Club - My son ate broccoli!!

View Full Version : My son ate broccoli!!

PeanutsMom704
05-27-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't know where it came from but out of the blue, my not quite 6 year old son decided that he wanted broccoli. He's never been a fan of veggies and when I was young, I *hated* veggies so I didn't push them too hard. I am a supertaster and could not stand the taste. Some people do get less sensitive over time, and I now love many vegetables but because of my experience, I knew I would never force him to eat them. He eats a lot of fruit and a couple of his doctors have said that it's not all the same nutrients but it's not that big a deal, so I haven't worried about. I just regularly offer veggies, and model eating them all the time.

And somehow, it all fell into place. A couple of days ago, he said something about wanting to try broccoli. I was skeptical but said sure. Then yesterday morning, he mentioned it again so I said that I would cook some for supper. I did and he could not stop eating it! He was so disappointed when it was all gone because of course I ate some too. I told him I would make more tonight. He then asked that the next time I pack him a sack lunch (a special treat for field trips, normally he buys school lunch), could I put broccoli in!!

I put a lot of time and effort and worry into trying to model and help develop good habits for him around food and it was so great for me to feel like I must be doing at least some of it right!

for anyone curious about supertasters

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/05/11/2306676.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/

My Body in Motion
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
What a great success! I'm so proud of you for being such a healthy influence and role model in your son's life. Before you know he'll be begging for brussel sprouts! Keep up the great parenting!

Trinity1004
05-27-2010, 08:13 AM
How wierd, my 6 year JUST came up to me and asked if we could have broccoli for diiner tonight! That's funny! It's such a great feeling to know they are learning to eat healthier from us! Everytime we pass a McDonald's now my 5 year old daughter says. "Mommy they have lots of calories there right?." She has no clue what that means but apprently I talk calories a lot more then I thought!! lol

ShylahEQ
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
That's awesome PM! I don't force veggies upon my son either, but I'll make "applesauce" type purees with weird concoctions (pumpkin, apple and carrot, is one). of course my son is only 19 months, so big age difference.

ANYWAY, whole point of story here. We're eating dinner the other night and I made broccoli for me (my hubby won't eat it, ever). I asked my son if he wanted some and offered, which he refused. A few minutes later he's looking at this plate going "Where's brocky?" My hubby just jumped up, he wants broccoli!! So I put my plate in front of him and he ate it! Kids are so wacky sometimes :p

Beverlyjoy
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
That's awesome. Yes..ya wonder where his curiosity about brocolli came from! No matter, I guess. He likes it!

Bazz Major
05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Your boy is so cute! I used to hate broccoli but now I love it! :]

WarMaiden
05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
*thumbs up*

mammasita
05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
That is SO great. I have such a hard time getting my son to eat veggies. I end up concoting creative ways to sneak them into his diet, like food processing zucchini and mixing it in ground turkey burgers.

That is fantastic that your son is loving broccoli!

PeanutsMom704
05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
thanks everyone!!!

And today at his kindergarten graduation, there was a raw veggie platter and he took a piece of broccoli from there! Unfortunately, he had just finished eating a brownie so he didn't care for it (plus it was raw - that does change the taste a bit too). I explained that it was the same way that something might taste funny right after he brushed his teeth, so the broccoli tasted funny right after the brownie, but it will taste fine tonight. So we'll see what happens!