Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Default Any Vegetarian/Vegan CC'ers Out There?

Hi All,
I've been checking out the CC board here and investigating this way to lose weight for some time but now I think it's time for me to put it into place. I've been jumping from diet to diet where it's been based on restrictions (don't eat carbs - eat only carbs, don't eat fat - eat only raw food, don't eat cooked...) and nothing has worked. I've come to the conclusion that limiting foods (except for meat and dairy, which is natural to me since I'm a vegan) doesn't work. So I'm going to limit calories instead.

I'm 5' and weigh 175 and I'll be started at 1400-1500 a day. I exercise at least 5x a week (more if I can swing it) with walking 45-50 minutes. I have a pretty big goal - I'm planning on moving to Israel (where my family is from) next summer and I'd like to lose 50 pounds (or close to it) by then so that I don't go to my family looking like the fat slob that I feel . My biggest issue is binge eating - you know the drill... being "good" with eating during the week, then binge eating all weekend. Stress is a big part of it, as I have major stress with my work right now (way overworked, nothing I can do about it at the moment because I need the money) so I think I'm trying to "reward" myself at the end of the week with all the junk food and I'm exhausted from the stress of the week. One thing I love about CC'ing is that it's not based on limiting foods. So if having an ounce of vegan dark chocolate every night helps me stay away from the binging then that's what I gotta do .

I'm just curious if there are any vegetarian/vegan CC'ers out there. I've been lurking enough to know that this group is highly supportive and wonderful so I'm looking forward to being part of the challenges that you all post here.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I have been a vegetarian for 10 years! Good luck on achieving your goal
VeggieGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Hi Tammay,

I'm "semi-vegetarian": I ocassionally eat chicken or seafood, but mostly keep with vegetarian meals. I was a strict vegetarian for 12 years though, so I definitely know what it's like!

Being a vegetarian, you can't completely cut out any certain foods (carbs, raw, cooked, etc.) and keep a healthful diet. Counting calories, you eat what you want, just less of it. This way, there aren't any "off limit" foods, and you enjoy what you're eating while learning about portion control. Good luck with calorie counting! Just like with any other plan - as long as you stick to it, it'll work! :-)
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle2842 View Post

I'm "semi-vegetarian": I ocassionally eat chicken or seafood, but mostly keep with vegetarian meals. I was a strict vegetarian for 12 years though, so I definitely know what it's like!
I'm doing the semi-vegetarian, quasi-vegan thing too. Im not in it for moral convictions -per say, but for how it makes me feel. I choose vegan/organic when I shop if its available....and it normally is.

I do count calories and was following fat smash, but adapted it to follow my likes/dislikes. Its not that difficult IMO.....I dont feel as hungry eating 1500 calories of whole foods/vegan/vegetarian foods as I have in the past just calorie counting and opting for processed or fast foods (within the calorie range I'm trying to hit). Matter of fact, I usually feel STUFFED afer I eat this way and have minimal cravings.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'm a vegetarian (since January) and I'm slowly making the transition to veganism. I just started counting calories again a few weeks ago. I lost 110 pounds a few years back by counting calories (Weight Watchers points, but it amounts to practically the same thing), and I'm firmly convinced it's the only thing that will work for me. I gained much of the weight back because I believed I should eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted while I was pregnant!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #6  
Next mini-goal 184

S/C/G: 204/189/155

Height: 5' 7"

I just joined today, I eat a pescatarian diet and have been for a few years. I am counting calories & reducing amount of calories consumed each day by a small amount to lose weight gained by an unforseen health issue.

Last edited by Im On A Boat; 05-27-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Im On A Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

I was a vegetarian for 8 years when I was, from about 8-16 for moral reasons. Then I let go of that, and started eating meat again. Over the past 6 months or so I've started feeling sick whenever I eat meat, so I'm giving it up again. No big loss, however, since I really only ate meat maybe once a week. Now that once a week will be fish, which does not make me feel sick. I guess that makes me a pescatarian too!

As far as counting calories goes when it comes to not eating meat, I find it really easy to get solid protein packed meals with lots of nutrients because I practically LIVE for eggs, love nuts, could eat chick peas with every meal, and keep so many veggies on hand that even if I feel the need to binge I would probably have that stuff over anything else (I hate fruit). My Achilles heel was iced cream and flavoured lattes, both of which I've basically eliminated from my life. Calorie counting is a godsend because one of the things I never realised was that what I thought were "good" days were days on which I was VASTLY undereating, and my "bad" days were actually good calorie days that I went and topped with a binge. Thank goodness for calorie counting!!! Lol.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote