Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #1  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Default Dieting with food allergies

Ok so first off I'm not really on a 'diet' as such, I have noticed that since I've started losing weight I'm eating differently, which is good, and eating less.

The major problem I have with trying to eat healthy is that I have a wheat and gluten intolerance and am very allergic to all kinds of nuts. Nuts are usually waved around as a health food and I for one am fed up of it because yes, I could eat them but I'd end up dead or in hospital.

So I'm after some advice on, well, what to eat. I do buy gluten free alternatives to regular pasta etc but they're really high in salt and that makes me a little uneasy - what's the point of losing weight if I'm going to damage my heart with all the salt?

At the minute I'm eating very samey meals - usually salad and *insert non-specific meat here*. And I'm bored of it. So any allergy-friendly advice gratefully received!
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #2  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

I am allergic to nuts too, so i usually use sunflower seeds when I have that craving. they seem to hit the spot, and it takes a long time to eat them, so i generally feel full. Of course we are back to the salt issue. I just try and compensate by drinking plenty of water to flush it away. If your kidneys are in good shape, it shouldn't be any big deal.
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Here is a gluten free diet link:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

Might give you some ideas on things to add to your diet that are naturally gluten free

Here's a list of gluten free foods:

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/List...ten_Free_Foods

I googled "naturally gluten free foods" and those came up. The second link has recipes as well.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Try spaghetti squash for spaghetti. Its quite nice, I got it for me, and now I have to make it for everyone, they prefer it over pasta.
I just don't do the bread thing, either. I don't really like the substitutes, although I did find some nice rice flour shortbread cookies at Christmas that were very yummy.
Try making some soups and stuff for a change up. If you want a starch on the side, cheese and some of those "mary's crackers" made with quinoa and flaxseed are nice, (hmm, read the label, I am not sure they are nut free) or some rice crackers. A nice zucchini soup would be just right I think.
How bout grilled veggies with "insert meat or fish of choice here".
I am allergic to a lot of fruits, (banana, kiwi, all citrus) and it is amazing how hard that can be. My daughter had problems with corn, (especially corn starch) and I didn't eat any of it while breastfeeding for 3.5 years, and she reacted til she was 5, and wow, was it hard to avoid.
Allergies are never easy, and when your food world gets smaller you have to be creative.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #5  
Wreck'n'Rule

S/C/G: 168/138/133

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the tips guys - those links were really handy. I'm going to try a couple of the recipes when I have a moment but for lunches, I've realised that smoked fish is a good substitute for *insert meat here* and also that yes, I do need to eat more fruit, which I have been doing for the past few days.

I've decided not to eat any bread or pasta at all any more, not even the gluten free stuff so that should cut down the shopping bill. I agree, you have to get creative when your food world gets smaller!

Big thanks for the help
Wysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

I'm doing this wheat-free. It's challenging but doable. But I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is to do no gluten or nuts. I was going to offer some suggestions, but most of my favs have rye or nuts.

Good luck!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote