100 lb. Club - Do you look in other people's grocery carts?

TXMary2
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I find myself looking in other people's carts all the time now. If they are thin I look to see what they have....if they are big I look to see what they have. With few exceptions there are striking differences. Sometimes I see large people who like me, must be on a weight loss path because you know they aren't fat from what it in their cart. I sometimes see thin people with a lot of crap in their carts, but I figure they are buying for other family members too or they are the type that don't overeat.

So, do you look at what people have in their grocery carts?

GirlyGirlSebas
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I do look. Sometimes, I am surprised by the amount of sugar and processed foods and the lack of vegetables. Honestly, my grocery basket may always have had a few of those in it, but I also had healthy food in there too.

TJFitnessDiva
05-26-2010, 09:18 AM
I admit I do look at other people's carts but I've caught other people looking into mine too :lol:

Meg
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Nope, I've never been interested in what other people are buying. But it does tickle me to think about how confusing MY cart must be to nebby people! I have my healthy foods; DH's Coke, chips, ice cream, and pasta; and the candy that DS (who is diabetic) keeps for hypoglycemic episodes. It's fun not to be able to be stereotyped. :lol:

Terre
05-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I look... and people look in mine. They probably think how can someone eat that healthy and still be fat. Makes want to carry a before picture with me lol :)

But I have gotten ideas from other peoples carts

TXMary2
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Nope, I've never been interested in what other people are buying. But it does tickle me to think about how confusing MY cart must be to nebby people! I have my healthy foods; DH's Coke, chips, ice cream, and pasta; and the candy that DS (who is diabetic) keeps for hypoglycemic episodes. It's fun not to be able to be stereotyped. :lol:

LOL- so now when I see a mixed cart I will think of you Meg!

kittycat40
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I look at my own cart (and around as well ;)). When I am in a smooth on plan state, I have cart pride. Fresh foods, few processed goods... Recently I looked at my cart and realized I could no longer claim cart pride. Candies, chips, prepared foods... Now I use my own cart evaluation as a tool to keep track of my and my family's intake...

InControl2Day
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
YES! It's one of my hobbies at the supermarket :) It's so fun to see what people purchase.

I saw a man in scrubs buying cups and cups of pre-made soup. I can imagine he must be a busy busy bachelor :)

It's interesting but I don't pass judgement. It's more of a curiousity.

Eliana
05-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I NEVER looked until I visited this site! :rofl: There are so many horror stories around here about shopping cart incidents. It made me compelled to look!

Mostly though, I am not interested in what other people are buying at all, unless it's beer. I have a hang up about beer and I chastise myself every time I have negative thoughts toward someone buying it. My brother is a severe, severe alcoholic so I'm afraid of the stuff.

FitGirlyGirl
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I look. I know people look into mine too. I am surprised at what I see sometimes and sometimes when I see people with overweight and obese children and the cart is full of a bunch of junk for them I just want to shake them, slap them, maybe both. When I see people who are my size or larger and I see all or mostly healthy food I want to chear for them. I do see thin people with a bunch of junk sometimes too, and I just figure they have high metabolisms or something and I hope for their sake it never catches up to them. I am sad for them because I know they aren't as healthy as they could be and I kinda wish the junk would make them fat because at least the fat is a sign we can see to let us know to do something about our health, they have no sign.

I have had interesting conversations with total strangers about what was in our carts before. I discovered a new veggie, daikon (I think that's the proper spelling) - it looks like a giant parsnip, but tastes like a radish/turnip/potato and I love them, because I saw one in a guy's cart and just asked him, "hey, what's that thing and where are they?" I had a great conversation with a young mom whose child was begging (seriously begging) for grapefruit. I've also had people ask me about the things in my cart - is that good, does that work, etc.

Eliana
05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I had a great conversation with a young mom whose child was begging (seriously begging) for grapefruit.

Must have been my son. :rolleyes: I swear I am the only mom who has ever uttered the words, "No, I am not buying frog legs" and also the only mom who has ever said at a buffet, "You must choose something besides fruit."

yoyo no more
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm a cashier & I admit.. I do it all the time!!!!

Now, I am so subconscious whenever I go to the store. In a strange way, I think it has actually helped me improve my shopping and eating habits. Especially when I shop where I work.

FitGirlyGirl
05-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Eliana - my niece LOVES frog legs - she's 3.

RedRock
05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Guilty I look to, and people do look into mine even gotten some strange looks. Certain stores I only buy certain things.

05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Mostly though, I am not interested in what other people are buying at all, unless it's beer. I have a hang up about beer and I chastise myself every time I have negative thoughts toward someone buying it. My brother is a severe, severe alcoholic so I'm afraid of the stuff.

YES! This is me too. I'm not a big cart looker (though I used to have insecurities about the stuff in my own cart) but I always notice if someone in line with me has a bunch of alcohol. I hate it, but because of family history, I do judge them. :(

Glory87
05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm a cart looker :)

I actually told my husband as we unloaded our cart onto the belt on Sunday "this is a nice bunch of healthy food!"

I think the check out people hate it when they see us coming, because they always have to look up produce PLUs for us. Organic red cabbage? Leeks? Sh*taki mushrooms? We make em work for it! ;) I also amuse myself by telling the cashier that loose brussel sprouts are 4550 (I buy them a LOT).

PeanutsMom704
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I look at my own cart (and around as well ;)). When I am in a smooth on plan state, I have cart pride. Fresh foods, few processed goods... Recently I looked at my cart and realized I could no longer claim cart pride. Candies, chips, prepared foods... Now I use my own cart evaluation as a tool to keep track of my and my family's intake...

Yes, this! I love being able to look at my cart and smile at all the healthy food in there. I sometimes have a couple of treats in there for my son, but not a whole cart full of junk.

on the kid thing, my son has never begged for grapefruit but when he was little, he loved those grape tomatoes so much that I would have to let him eat them as we shopped. I got lots of looks for that! lol! Now he refuses to eat them although he is on a broccoli kick and was super excited this morning when I told him I would make some tonight. (I make it all the time but he's never wanted to eat it before now)

Nada
05-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Cart pride, I like that term--I confess to sidelong glances (and judgemental thoughts). I assume others are judging my cart as well.

SouthLake
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I too am a cart spy. For the most part, I'm not judgemental, just curious. The exception is when people have small children and carts full of junk. It just irritates the snot out of me. Especially when the children are obese (I saw a 4 year old who was so obese he could hardly walk... and mom's cart was full of candy, coke, cookies, and a bunch of lunchables. Not a single fruit or veggie. Or anything that wasn't processed for that matter. It made me sad, and angry)

I also feel a bit of comraderie whenever I see another overweight or obese person with a healthy cart- rock on sister friend, Continue to fight the good fight! :)

Michelle98272
05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Oh My Gosh, YES! But not in a nice way! This goes back to the post about looking down on other fat people. I check out carts of overweight people and then feel superior if my cart looks healthier than theirs. Especially when I see an extremely overweight person wearing her housecoat and slippers in the go-go carts in the store, too fat to walk comfortably. I'm not nice at all. I think, "No wonder you are too big to walk. The pound of bacon, sheet cake, 2 liters of soda, and Sour Cream Onion chips aren't helping you!"

I honestly don't look in thin looking people's carts to see what they are buying! I think it really goes back to disliking in others the flaws I dislike most in myself.

Like I said in the other post about looking down on other people. I do feel badly about it and reframe the negative thoughts to positive ones. It isn't nice and just further perpetuates my dislike of my weight. I am aware of this oddity of my character and stop myself when I realize I am doing it. It is a work in progress.

FitGirlyGirl
05-26-2010, 11:09 AM
SouthLake - there was a child waddling (she was too big to walk properly) around wal-mart yesterday with a ring pop in her mouth and her mom had a cart full of nothing but junk - more candy, chips, little debbies, frozen pizza, hot pockets, she didn't even have white milk - only chocolate and strawberry. The child was probably 6 years old and about as big around as my husband or me - maybe a bit bigger. I wanted to hurt that woman. Quite frankly, I think that allowing a child that young to be that obese is a serious form of child abuse and should be treated as such by law.

Michelle98272
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I sometimes see thin people with a lot of crap in their carts, but I figure they are buying for other family members too or they are the type that don't overeat.

This also could be like my brother in law who at 50 still has the metabolism of a teenager.:devil: He is 6 ft 1 and 175 lbs. He eats large meals, breakfast lunch and dinner. He snacks on cookies all the time and ends each day with a huge bowl of ice cream. He has an office job so his daily routine can't account for the crazy burning of calories. He even has a clean bill of health from his doctor as having perfect labs every year. He doesn't exercise either.

His wife on the other hand has a weight problem, diabetes and high cholesterol. She has to watch what she eats to keep her weight even remotely within the realm of normal.

I think there should be medical studies done on people like my BIL and when they find the dna mutation that allows people to eat like that and remain thin and healthy, they could isolate it, replicate it and then make a million on the cure for obesity. I only mean that jokingly, I wouldn't want someone tinkering with my dna just so I could lose weight.

paris81
05-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I remember being soooo ashamed of my cart in the past. I knew what I was buying was bad for me, I knew that my cart fit into the stereotype of how I looked, and I just hated it. I would go to different grocery stores for fear that the cashiers would judge me for buying so much junk so frequently.

Now I do have cart pride (actually basket pride, I live alone so only buy a bit at a time--because it's mostly fresh!!! :) )

I only look at other carts if sometime sticks out, and usually that happens when it's a really overweight person with a bunch of junk food. Then I feel guilty for being so judgemental, because I was once that person. I wonder if they feel cart shame the way I once did.

cfmama
05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Even when I was almost 400 pounds my cart looked better than 99% of them out there because I NEVER subjected my kids to my way of eating... I was a nighttime eater and I'd go buy specific junk and fast food to quell the monster within.

So I'm sure people were confused as all **** when they looked into my cart ;)

I do cart watch. I admit it.

WarMaiden
05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't regularly go grocery shopping, because my husband is responsible for doing that. He goes to two stores each week and he purchases just a ton of produce and other healthy stuff for our family of five. Recently when we were shopping together he remarked that on a number of occasions either a manager or a cashier at the big chain grocery have asked him whether he's a chef, due to all the produce--remarking that "only the chefs" shop like that!

Generally I don't look into people's carts, but that's mostly because I don't remember to. I'd snoop if I wasn't so focused on just getting through the list :) When I do peek in a basket, it is a marvel how much crap is in the majority of them.

spaghetticat
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Not really often. I have heard tons of people do, but I guess I just don't pay attention to a lot of things lol.

milliondollarbbw
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
I find myself looking in other people's carts all the time now. If they are thin I look to see what they have....if they are big I look to see what they have. With few exceptions there are striking differences. Sometimes I see large people who like me, must be on a weight loss path because you know they aren't fat from what it in their cart. I sometimes see thin people with a lot of crap in their carts, but I figure they are buying for other family members too or they are the type that don't overeat.

So, do you look at what people have in their grocery carts?

I do look more at the person on the conveyor belt next to me. I will notice if maybe they are buying the not best brand of something, etc. I do feel bad when I see people with a shopping cart full of processed food. Even though it may appear like they don't have a lot of money, I feel like they could buy better food for the total amount they spent on the junk stuff. Don't get me started on blue "juice" in the gallon jug.

On the flip side I do feel upset at times that I cannot buy what I want to, food wise, and that I cannot always eat as healthy as I want to due to money and cooking limitations. I feel a bit irritated when there is the super perky soccer mom who is buying everything organic, wearing designer gym clothes, and talking down to her nanny that is behind her. Of course she is able to stay thin because she just spent like 400 bucks on food that may only last 2 weeks, if that.

I do sometimes focus more on feeling good or feeling bad about the food I have on the conveyor belt. When I have healthy food, then I feel ok and like the person behind or in front of me can't think negatively. But when I am having a bad time with food, like recently, then I do feel self-concious and worry that they will think negatively about my donuts and chip purchases.

duckyyellowfeet
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm a cart-watcher too. Its just so interesting...why is someone buying 10lbs of potatoes and cat litter? What could the person in front of me possibly need with 10 jars of peanut-butter, but no bread or jelly?!

I'm sure I'm a weird mixture too, however. I shop at both a grocery store and costco, so things don't always match. Plus, my cart is often so different from the average 21 year-olds that I must get strange looks.

I'm judgmental sometimes, as well. And like a lot of people, its mainly in regards to parents with children. It just drives me crazy to see parents ignore all the healthy foods to shove yet another tv dinner in front of their children.

ANewCreation
05-26-2010, 01:46 PM
I find this fascinating. I didn't know people watched other people's carts!

Having said that, I watch my own cart! I"m proud when I have more veggies, fruits, and other 'pure' foods in my cart and less so when I have more processed foods in my cart. I must be aware deep down that the cashier could be judging me so I always put the 'good stuff' on the conveyor belt first so they get the 'best' impression of me.

I crack myself up sometimes....... ;)

andee
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes i'm looking to other people carts... heh :)

goodforme
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't cart spy, unless I'm looking for a line to stand in for hours, then I'm looking for the carts that have the least amount of things in them!:cool:

I don't care what other people are eating, I don't care what other people who might be spying on my cart think about what we're eating. You might find 25 cans of corn in my cart, and I don't eat corn at all. (We frequently donate canned food both at work and at dd's school.) You might find frozen yogurt right next to flavored popsicles, you might see my SO's white bread on top of my purse, you might see some pretty scary looking seafood lurking in there too.

Judging and being judged is a topic close to my heart, I don't appreciate it being done to me, I try my VERY hardest not to do it to others because I know how hurtful it can be.

MiniChick
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Normally, no, but sometimes I do if something catches my eye that is in their cart. If I see a family with overweight children I sometimes look to see what's in the cart, but it's better for me if I don't because it really upsets me to see overweight children (adults, too, for that matter) and a shopping cart full of junk. It's one thing for adults to be buying junk for themselves, but children rely on their parents to buy their food for them, and when the parent is not living up to their responsibility to take care of their own child/children, it makes me feel so helpless and sad for the child/children.

Petite Powerhouse
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't look at what other people are buying, and if I did, I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of figuring out why they were buying it. Is it for them, for some other family member, for the office morning meeting, for their kid's bake sale? Who knows?

I do sometimes look at what I am buying, though, to see what it says about me. It's a way of keeping myself on track. I'm tempted sometimes, for example, to buy certain yogurts with more sugar in them than I want to consume. And I sometimes throw in the jello with aspartame or some other sugar substitute, even though I try to stay away from such synthetics. So, I'll spot check myself, and go and return these things when I realize that what is in my cart does not say about me what I want it to.

milliondollarbbw
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Normally, no, but sometimes I do if something catches my eye that is in their cart. If I see a family with overweight children I sometimes look to see what's in the cart, but it's better for me if I don't because it really upsets me to see overweight children (adults, too, for that matter) and a shopping cart full of junk. It's one thing for adults to be buying junk for themselves, but children rely on their parents to buy their food for them, and when the parent is not living up to their responsibility to take care of their own child/children, it makes me feel so helpless and sad for the child/children.

I sometimes feel that way, but it depends on the family. I know that some families simply do not have access or the wherewithall to buy better food. There is part of me that also gets kind of irritated when I speak with moms who are....well....er....more affluent, and shop totally at one type of grocery store---sometimes, their comments about what to feed another person's child seem a little inappropriate given all of the factors. I have heard them making comments about seeing a child at a restaurant eating a dessert, and they get upset. But we don't know the family---maybe it is the kids birthday? Maybe the kid is on a diet, but gets a one time random treat for sticking with it. Who knows?

My heart goes out the family where they are just trying to make ends meet, and they feel that there only options are very, very cheap processed foods. I feel sad for them, but not angry, cause I understand where they are coming from. In some areas of our country, I can understand people buying processed, when there are little to no fresh options, and/or those options are extremely overpriced, or of extremely poor quality.

saef
05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't look in carts. You have to imagine me at a grocery store. My usual state of mind is irritated & harried. I've got other things to do, damn it, but first I have to visit the grocery store. I've got the cart with the wobbly wheel that I can't drive straight and I've got this crumpled envelope in my hand with my list on it & it's stuffed with coupons for tampons & the latest new brand of Greek yogurt, half of them expired, and I'm worried the broccoli crowns are going to be picked over by the time I get to them. And whether Braeburns are cheaper here than at the other store, which I plan to visit next. Also I'm concerned whether the fish counter may be closing in a few minutes. And I'm mentally tallying whether I've bought $25 worth yet, which will qualify me for an additional 30 cents per pound discount on the family pack of chicken leg quarters.

So I am kind of startled from my preoccupied frowning trance when I start putting stuff on the conveyor belt & the nice lady behind me says, "Oh, that all looks so healthy" or "How do you cook that?"

One did say to me a few weeks ago, after placing a plastic divider on the belt for me, "I knew that stuff wasn't yours ---" nodding ahead at whatever the person in front of me was buying. Why was that? "All your stuff looks so healthy. Hers didn't." I felt like a teacher put a little gold star on my paper.

junebug41
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
YES! It's one of my hobbies at the supermarket :) It's so fun to see what people purchase.

I saw a man in scrubs buying cups and cups of pre-made soup. I can imagine he must be a busy busy bachelor :)

It's interesting but I don't pass judgement. It's more of a curiousity.

:lol:

You really can spot the bachelors from a mile away. Hello, chicken pot pies and frozen pizzas!

I do peer into other's carts out of sheer curiousity.

TJFitnessDiva
05-26-2010, 04:27 PM
If I'm bored at...let's say a walmart supercenter...I will put the weirdest combination of stuff in the small part of the buggy (like duct tape & whipped cream or a shower curtain, baby oil and cucumber) to see the weird looks ;)

PeanutsMom704
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I sometimes feel that way, but it depends on the family. I know that some families simply do not have access or the wherewithall to buy better food. There is part of me that also gets kind of irritated when I speak with moms who are....well....er....more affluent, and shop totally at one type of grocery store---sometimes, their comments about what to feed another person's child seem a little inappropriate given all of the factors. I have heard them making comments about seeing a child at a restaurant eating a dessert, and they get upset. But we don't know the family---maybe it is the kids birthday? Maybe the kid is on a diet, but gets a one time random treat for sticking with it. Who knows?

My heart goes out the family where they are just trying to make ends meet, and they feel that there only options are very, very cheap processed foods. I feel sad for them, but not angry, cause I understand where they are coming from. In some areas of our country, I can understand people buying processed, when there are little to no fresh options, and/or those options are extremely overpriced, or of extremely poor quality.

I completely agree with your point that many people live in communities where they don't have reasonable access to full line groceries stores and cannot easily buy fresh foods.

But when I am comparing grocery shopping carts, it's in the store I am personally shopping in. A store where I can fill my cart with fresh foods by shopping around the perimeter of the store - produce, meats, dairy (and for me, breads for whole grain stuff). It's a choice to buy what I buy vs. the bags of processed crap. Sure, maybe there is a lack of education and understanding, a fear of the unknown, worries about how to cook things, etc. But this is not a lack of availability. And that's probably the saddest part of all - so many people have better choices than they take advantage of.

Thighs Be Gone
05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
I never paid attention to others carts until I started coming to 3FC and now I do! LOL--this has been discussed before.

I am a little bit of a privacy freak. I wish the cart had solid covers on it where you could drop everything into a big dark hole so no one could see. Mostly though, I am proud of what I buy.

As far as looking at what is in larger's peoples carts I can somewhat identify. Recently I was at a fast food place getting my kids some ice cream. I was really contemplating if I wanted to get something. I noticed the people around us were all really unhealthy weights. LOL, I got a banana and black coffee!

lovemyboy
05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't look in other carts unless I'm in line waiting. In which case I look at what is on the conveyor belt in front of me.

I track sale prices at three different stores (all within a few miles of each other) to save $$$. So my cart at a particular store may appear unbalanced because it really doesn't represent my full grocery purchase. I grow a lot of my veggies and only buy that which I don't have in stock so someone could easily assume I'm not a big veggie eater by looking in my cart too. I also pay a local farmer to raise a lot of my meat (organic, no injections or weird feed) and I freeze it so maybe one could assume I was someone who didn't like veggies and ate only fish because that is the only "meat" I buy at the store. Being frugal, if something non-perishable is on sale that I use frequently I buy in bulk so you could also see me with a ton of canned goods too.

luciddepths
05-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I definitely look!!! i try and be very aware of what im putting in my cart because i KNOW people are looking in my cart, i look in everyones :P i definitely FOCUS on people who have obese children though... more than anyone else and if there is fruits and veggies i think "ok well they are doing a balanced thing, something else is up" but if its full of junk.. WOW..

ParadiseFalls
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I definitely look!!! i try and be very aware of what im putting in my cart because i KNOW people are looking in my cart

If I may say so, at your weight, I don't think anyone is looking in your cart anymore :)

luciddepths
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
aww!! well thank you! but yes.. i still think people are! and thats a good deterrent for me :D

ParadiseFalls
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, if it keeps you watching your groceries, it can't be a bad thing! :)

PaulaM
05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't look in anybody else's cart cause it's boring to me BUT can I admit that I buy the trash rags and always try and hide them in my cart, turn them over etc. LOL

Beverlyjoy
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
This is so fun to read....I guess I never really thought about if and do or don't...so, basically I don't look that often while I am shopping. Once in a while. I do look at the checkout counter while I am waiting in line to pay. I'll look at the what the people ahead of me are buying - as they put it on the place by the register.

I sometimes think that the check out person might be thinking....oh, I must be back on my 'diet'. LOL

milliondollarbbw
05-27-2010, 12:40 AM
If I may say so, at your weight, I don't think anyone is looking in your cart anymore :)

Ha! I so agree! i would probably be looking in her cart for inspiration. :)

MiniChick
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I sometimes feel that way, but it depends on the family. I know that some families simply do not have access or the wherewithall to buy better food.

I understand stretching a dollar as I grew up in a large family. Also, during the first part of my marriage money was tight, and creative nutrition was the order of the day. What I have a hard time with is that instead of spending money on cheaper, unhealthy foods, they can take that same amount of money and buy a smaller amount of healthier food. It may not be as filling initially, until the body adjusts to the smaller amount, but it would be healthier. I mean, what's the point of eating filling foods that leave you malnourished? It would be better to eat less food that provides the body with real nourishment, and then have junk food only on occasion. Oh well, I guess I have a hard time with this issue because I look at it from a nutritional stand point whereas others may look at it more from an "emotional/social deprivation" issue.

I do agree with you on the restaurant issue though. That's a different setting altogether, and as you said, they could be there for a special occasion.

ariana419
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I always look at peoples carts. It used to be b/c I am nosey, but now I do pay attention to "healthy" looking people especially. Ill take a leg up anyway I can get it.

synger
05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I try to do my shopping at a Giant where I use a hand-held scanner as I go, put my stuff in bags in my cart, and then check out with the scanner at the end. No need to put my items on the belt or have a checker deal with them.

That being said, when I do the traditional "put the food on the belt" checkout, I do find myself looking at the stuff of the person ahead of me or behind me. And I have to think they must be confused by my options:

No fresh meat, but frozen chicken breasts, sausages, chicken nuggets and fishsticks (chicken breasts for me and DH, the rest for picky DD) -- my husband goes to a butcher each week for our fresh meat and cheese
Lots of produce
Full fat cheese, cottage cheese, and butter
Nuts and popcorn
Fiber cereal
No milk (we have ours delivered)
Very little snacky stuff or sweets

In some ways it seems healthy (veggies) and in others not (butter and cheese). That's the moderate-carb way. :flow2:

Bazz Major
05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I love this thread! It's sooo true: I always look at other people's trolleys or baskets ;D

Students and young families: Really cheap & processed food like pasta and ready meals. Usually very little or no fruits and vegetables because they are quite pricey here! (I live in Wales in the United Kingdom, wooh!)

Overweight, thin people & families on benefits: Loads of junk food! Usually the baby sitting in the trolley seat is eating chocolate or drinking Coke. Makes me mad!

People with good jobs (of any body shape!): Plenty of healthy food, expensive brands and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Very little treats but it's usually something expensive and organic like Ben & Jerry's!

Old people: A lot of bread and fish! Maybe jam spread and paste? Wholemeal bread and healthy cereals. Fun sized sweets for the grandkids. Gotta love the oldies! :]

NOW .. my trolley or basket ;]
Well, I don't do the food shopping because I live with my parents but if I do go to a food supermarket, it's usually because I want junk food! I don't buy a lot, though. It usually happens when I fancy watching a movie so I go and pick up Ben & Jerry's, trash magazines, Coke & things like that! :]

Beth :]

Bazz Major
05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh, by the way .. I always go to the self check-out service because I'm too paranoid to let the cashier look at my food, hehe.

milliondollarbbw
05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I understand stretching a dollar as I grew up in a large family. Also, during the first part of my marriage money was tight, and creative nutrition was the order of the day. What I have a hard time with is that instead of spending money on cheaper, unhealthy foods, they can take that same amount of money and buy a smaller amount of healthier food. It may not be as filling initially, until the body adjusts to the smaller amount, but it would be healthier. I mean, what's the point of eating filling foods that leave you malnourished? It would be better to eat less food that provides the body with real nourishment, and then have junk food only on occasion. Oh well, I guess I have a hard time with this issue because I look at it from a nutritional stand point whereas others may look at it more from an "emotional/social deprivation" issue.

I do agree with you on the restaurant issue though. That's a different setting altogether, and as you said, they could be there for a special occasion.

I think you misunderstood my post. Nutrition and care and emotion all go hand in hand. I feel that having been in the situation of having to eat very poorly, well, because of poorness, I both understand why families do shop in a specific way, and I wish I knew how to help them. That is what I wish. I wish we could get back to basics, and farmer's markets were everyday, and corner stores had fresh fruits and veggies, rather than 40s and cheetos. :(

Of course I do feel sad when I see families not buying the most nutritional food. My suggestion is that we have to be careful how we view things, afterall, people who have always watched their weight may judge us just as harshly, wondering how we got to be the size we are, or why we don't know about nutrition? See how easy it is to get into that way of thinking?

In multiple areas there is an abundance of cheap, and high processed foods. There are not always the more nutritious food options. My statement for those that may be quick to judge negatively the family with poor shopping habits is to first think---Would any parent want to willingly harm their child? No. Of course not. So, it may be a combination of a lack of information and knowledge about healthier eating, coupled with perhaps lack of awareness of how to cook. And, trying to manage all of that will very little money.

Also, if you take a person that does not eat consistently---some days they have at least 1 meal, some times they go a couple of days without anything, on a rare day they may eat multiple times. If you take that person, who is in such a bad situation, is it right to tell them to take that dollar and buy $1 dollar worth of fruits and veggies, which are nutritious yes, but low in calories, or to buy the $1 double cheeseburger, that while high in fat and sodium and super processed, also has a good amount of protein and a high amount of calories? What would be the best thing to say in that situation?

I do feel strongly about this topic because I see this growing devide between the availability of healthy food and better healthy, and poorer quality food and poorer health.

milliondollarbbw
05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I try to do my shopping at a Giant where I use a hand-held scanner as I go, put my stuff in bags in my cart, and then check out with the scanner at the end. No need to put my items on the belt or have a checker deal with them.

That being said, when I do the traditional "put the food on the belt" checkout, I do find myself looking at the stuff of the person ahead of me or behind me. And I have to think they must be confused by my options:

No fresh meat, but frozen chicken breasts, sausages, chicken nuggets and fishsticks (chicken breasts for me and DH, the rest for picky DD) -- my husband goes to a butcher each week for our fresh meat and cheese
Lots of produce
Full fat cheese, cottage cheese, and butter
Nuts and popcorn
Fiber cereal
No milk (we have ours delivered)
Very little snacky stuff or sweets

In some ways it seems healthy (veggies) and in others not (butter and cheese). That's the moderate-carb way. :flow2:

Sounds like my cart---when I am being good, of course! :) We don't have a milk delivery option though. :( It probably tastes way different from the stuff in the cartons.

GirlyGirlSebas
05-27-2010, 12:27 PM
I try to do my shopping at a Giant where I use a hand-held scanner as I go, put my stuff in bags in my cart, and then check out with the scanner at the end.

I had no idea there was such a thing! I'd love that. Does it keep a running tally for you of how much you've spent? When we're budgeting, it's always tricky to make sure I don't go over my grocery allowance.

grrrkgrrrl
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
i take glimpes of other people's carts but not in order to judge them.. more like comparing them to mine. and i am happy i usually win in my head in comparison.

doesn't say anything about the person, and i do not make any assumptions, it's just self-awareness mostly for me.

on the checkout though, i really look at what the person in front of me is buying, just out of curiosity and because there's nothing better to do!

synger
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I had no idea there was such a thing! I'd love that. Does it keep a running tally for you of how much you've spent? When we're budgeting, it's always tricky to make sure I don't go over my grocery allowance.

Yep, you get a running total, and can easily subtract things that you have already added. You also get a total of how much you've saved, if you're in their Saver program.

It's nice to not have to wait in checkout, but it takes a little longer for the actual shopping because you're scanning and bagging as you go.

http://www.giantfood.com/our_stores/tools.htm

mandalinn82
05-27-2010, 01:17 PM
I often wonder what the folks at my grocery store think of me.

See, I shop at 4-5 different places. I get all produce and eggs at the Farmer's Market, my meats from a specialty butcher, dried beans and grains from a produce market that has really good prices, and some other staples (greek yogurt, coffee) at Costco. So by the time I get to the grocery store, I am inevitably buying a strange combination of things, but those things don't reflect my diet as a whole!

A typical grocery store cart for me includes turkey deli meat (the deli of my store roasts whole turkey breasts in a rotisserie in store, then slices them...heaven, and without any of the preservatives and junk!), bread of some kind, tea, almond milk, peanut butter (I can my own jam, so no need to purchase any if I want a sandwich), no sugar added ice cream, coffee creamer, cream cheese, and if I have busy, out of the house days planned, a few protein bars.

If people judged me by my cart, they'd have to assume I ate nothing but turkey and peanut butter (no jelly!) sandwiches, ice cream, tea, and coffee. Oh, and protein bars.

MiniChick
05-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I think you misunderstood my post. Nutrition and care and emotion all go hand in hand. I feel that having been in the situation of having to eat very poorly, well, because of poorness, I both understand why families do shop in a specific way, and I wish I knew how to help them. That is what I wish. I wish we could get back to basics, and farmer's markets were everyday, and corner stores had fresh fruits and veggies, rather than 40s and cheetos. :(

Oh, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree with what you're saying though. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had a dollar to spend for food I probably wouldn't pick either the fast food burger or just veggies/fruit. I would most likely buy a bag of beans, which you can get for under a dollar, and then with what money was left I would then buy the cheapest vegetable or fruit. Beans expand considerably when cooked, so can go further, are very nutritious, and have a good amount of fiber. And, as crazy as it may sound, in order to include fat in my diet, I would go to the meat counter and ask if there are any fat scraps that I could have for free. As long as scraps are not saleable, they don't mind handing them off. I remember when we used to get bones from them for free, which makes a very good and nutritious broth. Maybe for some it's just a matter of needing to think outside the box. All I know is that for myself, nutrition is VERY important so my mind would automatically start thinking outside the box and figuring out ways that I could aquire (legally, of course) more nutritious options.

ParadiseFalls
05-27-2010, 09:09 PM
I swear I am the only mom who has ever uttered the words, "No, I am not buying frog legs" and also the only mom who has ever said at a buffet, "You must choose something besides fruit."

:rofl:

Reminds me of how I would get in trouble when I was in grade school for reading—I'd hide books on my lap or on my music stand and the teachers would have to take them away.

Asherdoodles87
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I sometimes look into other people's carts. I am always shocked at the amount of junk food. Although, sometimes I am surprised when I see other shoppers buying healthy or organic food.

I'm a bit self conscious when it comes to my shopping cart. I saw a picture of an obese person buying a LOT of healthy stuff. The picture was posted on a site that teases walmart customers. Anyway, there were some awful comments about how obese the person was compared to their choice of groceries. So now I am self conscious because I am over weight and buying healthy foods. People are probably thinking, "Why even bother? It doesn't seem to be helping."

Magrat
05-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't look in other carts unless I'm in line waiting. In which case I look at what is on the conveyor belt in front of me.

I do this too. But I don't look in other people's carts because I shop so fast I don't have time to. I stick to my list and I don't impulse buy.

My record for speedy shopping is 57 minutes car to car. (I bought four items and used the self-serve register.)

milliondollarbbw
05-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree with what you're saying though. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had a dollar to spend for food I probably wouldn't pick either the fast food burger or just veggies/fruit. I would most likely buy a bag of beans, which you can get for under a dollar, and then with what money was left I would then buy the cheapest vegetable or fruit. Beans expand considerably when cooked, so can go further, are very nutritious, and have a good amount of fiber. And, as crazy as it may sound, in order to include fat in my diet, I would go to the meat counter and ask if there are any fat scraps that I could have for free. As long as scraps are not saleable, they don't mind handing them off. I remember when we used to get bones from them for free, which makes a very good and nutritious broth. Maybe for some it's just a matter of needing to think outside the box. All I know is that for myself, nutrition is VERY important so my mind would automatically start thinking outside the box and figuring out ways that I could aquire (legally, of course) more nutritious options.

And I think the beans and meat would be a great option. That is learned information that a lot of people could really use. :) Unfortunately, many of us are very far removed from cooking. And, as a good friend pointed out to me, some people live in housing situations where they do not have a standard kitchen. That is also a major issue in some areas---some may only have a microwave or a hot plate. :(

Lori Bell
05-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree with what you're saying though. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had a dollar to spend for food I probably wouldn't pick either the fast food burger or just veggies/fruit. I would most likely buy a bag of beans, which you can get for under a dollar, and then with what money was left I would then buy the cheapest vegetable or fruit. ...
BINGO! This is so right on. Some people just don't want to get the good for you stuff, and so they use the excuse that they can't afford it...but that is just another excuse. (I was the QUEEN of excuses when I was morbidly obese!) If I were on a very tight budget, and fresh foods were not available, I could find a bag of beans or a dozen eggs on sale for a dollar at any given time here. But some people look at the 3 boxes of mac & cheese for a buck and think it will go further for the same price...(BUT with the mac & cheese you also need milk and butter, so there is extra cash.) All you need to cook an egg or beans is water and some heat. Heck, 1 whole egg has 100% RDA of about 10 vitamins and minerals. IMO the main reason people (rich or poor) pick the unhealtheir options are because they are junkfood addicts and want to blame something...anything for their bad eating habits. I say this only because I have BEEN there, done that.

ubercast
05-30-2010, 11:05 PM
I never looked in other peoples grocery carts before I saw this thread XD. I do worry about what people think when they look into my grocery cart though. I stopped at the store with my mom to pick up some fresh vegetables, and I was so proud of how healthy healthy my basket looked. Unfortunately my mom decided that she wanted to pick up two cartons of cookie dough ice cream, and two bags of chips, and decided to put them in my basket. That hurt my shopping cart pride XD.

JulieJ08
05-31-2010, 12:41 AM
All you need to cook an egg or beans is water and some heat. Heck, 1 whole egg has 100% RDA of about 10 vitamins and minerals.

I'm confused. I know FitDay, for example, doesn't list all vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't show an egg having any more than 23% of the RDA for *anything.*

MiniChick
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
And I think the beans and meat would be a great option. That is learned information that a lot of people could really use. :) Unfortunately, many of us are very far removed from cooking.

I guess that's the time to learn a new skill. :chef: :p

And, as a good friend pointed out to me, some people live in housing situations where they do not have a standard kitchen. That is also a major issue in some areas---some may only have a microwave or a hot plate. :(

There are always exceptions, but I am talking about the "typical" low income family who has to stretch a dollar. I would assume that the extreme example you are giving is what tax dollar supported soup kitchens and WIC, etc. are for.

This conversation makes me think of a quote that I recently read (I think from 3FC) that I saved because it is so true. Within this quote, the answer to freeing ourselves from our own limitations and excuses that we put on ourselves is revealed, barring the exceptions, of course.

"If you want it, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse."

joannie
06-01-2010, 01:26 AM

I have never looked in others carts. But used to feel very self-conscious in a grocery store for the way I thought I was judged. However, funny story from this evening... Was at the grocery store, had my stuff on the conveyor belt, as did the couple behind me. There was a delay with the woman ahead of me, I was just deep in thought, not really paying attention to much, although noticed the couple behind me pointing to my stuff. When I looked at them, the guy said, "Sorry, not to be nosey :) but my wife and I are trying to figure out what you're making. I think it's some kind of veggie lasagna, but my wife said there's no pasta!" I had different veggies- spinach, kale, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and canned tomatoes, light parmesan, cottage cheese, etc. He said, "It must be something healthy and something Italian for sure!" :?: I did not know what to say... just thinking about if people are looking at my stuff now and wondering what I may be making, I can only imagine what they would have been thinking with the junk food, processed foods, etc that would have been there before, especially with my size before.

GoldenLeaf
06-01-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm a bit self conscious when it comes to my shopping cart. I saw a picture of an obese person buying a LOT of healthy stuff. The picture was posted on a site that teases walmart customers. Anyway, there were some awful comments about how obese the person was compared to their choice of groceries. So now I am self conscious because I am over weight and buying healthy foods. People are probably thinking, "Why even bother? It doesn't seem to be helping."

If someone looked into my supermarket trolley and thought "what's that fat chick buying veges for, it's not working" I'd think they were pretty silly :carrot: For one thing even if you're "overweight" or "obese", healthy food is still healthy, even if you don't factor weight loss in! And secondly I'm reminded of a comment I once read which was written about exercising in public when fat. And that was, "anyone that criticizes a fat person for actively trying to lose weight is a moron". It was just a random comment from someone online - I think it was a news article about government subsidies for weight loss programs or something - but it really made me feel much better about doing something about weight loss. It's such common sense - if you're going to tease a fat person for being fat, why on earth would you then tease them for doing something about it?!?!

I'd rather be fat now but doing something about it, than one of those "naturally skinny" people who has a trolley loaded with processed and junk foods. There is a pretty good chance they'll either end up fat themselves one day or unhealthy despite their size. At least I'm doing something proactive right now! - and that is all anyone can do...

milliondollarbbw
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I guess that's the time to learn a new skill. :chef: :p

There are always exceptions, but I am talking about the "typical" low income family who has to stretch a dollar. I would assume that the extreme example you are giving is what tax dollar supported soup kitchens and WIC, etc. are for.

This conversation makes me think of a quote that I recently read (I think from 3FC) that I saved because it is so true. Within this quote, the answer to freeing ourselves from our own limitations and excuses that we put on ourselves is revealed, barring the exceptions, of course.

"If you want it, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse."

I just think that there is a fine line---we often view our worlds only in terms of our own experiences---if we are food addicts, we normally assume others with food issues are the same. If we know how to cook a certain way, we assume others can do the same. I just feel, that having "been there, done that", I am sure people could have looked at my dinner made from a dollar (seriously), and exclaimed that I could have bought an apple or beans. But, I bought a sausage or meat and a bread roll instead. I just don't want to jump on that bandwagon of blaming people for what we think they should know or how we think they should eat, etc. I would rather have compassion and information, rather than apathy and disdain.

I feel this way probably because I have been in the situation where I am sure some other person looked at what was in my cart, as a kid, and made a whole bunch of assumptions.

Pity may not be good, but I do feel sad for those families that are stuck in the cycle of junk food and processed food and haven't taken the time or initiative to try and cook food....maybe even the food they grew up on. I am learning so much more about food now than I ever knew, and I am very grateful that I live in a place that allows me to be more adventurous food wise.

To be honest, it would probably be best for me to scrutinize my own shopping cart rather than anyone else's, considering my current weightloss.

evoo
06-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm a cart spy too. But then I'm one of those that probably confuses people. I've always shopped healthfully. I am the only over-weight person in my family, but I didn't get this way with our usual groceries. It was the reeses peanut butter cups I'd pick up here and there, the bag of chips I'd grab at work and snack on at my desk, the fast food I'd have for lunch with co-workers. My cart has always, for the most part, been filled to the brim with fruits, veggies, whole wheat and very little processed stuff.

I will admit families with fat kids are my biggest pet peeve inside the grocery store and otherwise. And if their carts are filled with junk I just want to pull them aside, take the parents by the shoulders and shake them. It's one thing to make yourself fat -- I've been there, am there, I know! -- but it's an entirely different thing to subject your children to such atrocities. They're innocent kids at the mercy of their parents and this is what the parents give them? Grrr!

Of course this weekend, I'm sure I would have been a sight for the 3FC cart spies to see. On Sunday we got caught unprepared for the first of summer's impromptu get togethers at a friend's house and so on Monday I went to the grocery store and "stocked up" on the special occasion summer stuff. Two cases of beer, some soda, a few bags of chips, some pretzels, crackers, s'more ingredients, and a couple cases of juice boxes later... I'm sure people were not impressed with my shopping ability. What they couldn't see, of course, is that all of the above got packed up as soon as we got home and will only be taken out at the next special occasion. Or than along with the junk food I also pack lunch meats, string cheeses, apples, grapes, veggie sticks, water, a healthier version of potato salad, etc. Or that all that beer is not just for us, we share with friends, too. And it'll still last quite some time. I just have deeply rooted issues with showing up at parties without my fair share, no matter how close the friends are so when summer rolls around and those parties are relatively frequent I have a habit of stocking up.

Fae10
06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Not really, I don't look... but I've caught people looking at mine. Which is a bit annoying because at times I'll be carrying my feminine necessities and well, it's embarassing when people look and see that as the first thing.

Which is why I go very early in the morning or late at night.

kuhljeanie
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
i can't even imagine what people must think of mine...i've got a side business baking, so my cart might have a crapload of organic veggies and fruit, egg whites, salmon, brown rice, beans etc., 8 pounds of butter, a big carton (or two) of heavy whipping cream, big bags of sugar, a couple of bags of chocolate chips. it's probably less weird when i get baking ingredients at sams...:)

MissNibs
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
This thread is interesting, funny and illuminating!

I must say, as a senior citizen on a fixed income, and one who qualifies for food stamps, that I judge MYSELF on what I buy.

90% of the time, when I have bought junk food, I will use my own cash instead of food stamps, reasoning that the food stamps are meant for healthy food, not junk food and they come out of taxpayers contributions.

I do notice what others purchase and feel sad when a cart is loaded with mostly junk food.

MissNibs

Lori Bell
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm confused. I know FitDay, for example, doesn't list all vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't show an egg having any more than 23% of the RDA for *anything.*

Oh, Thank you Julie for taking the time to research my post, you really do deserve a lot of credit for your dedication. My bad. The YOLK has anywhere from 90 to 100% of around 15 vitamin and minerals compared to the whole egg. Not RDA, but as percentage of nutrients in the yolk vs. the white. I'm so sorry to mislead any person with a dollar to spend on groceries. I unfortunately was remembering YOLK information from the great egg debate awhile back.

I really hope no one ran out and bought a carton of eggs instead of a McDonalds cheeseburger with their last dollar. Sorry. :(

caryesings
06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't check out carts but do end up looking at the conveyor ahead of me. The other day I commented to an older man ahead of me that his meal looked like more fun than mine. He had steak, potato, greens, and ice cream. I had yogurt. He smiled and said "Yeah, but your healthy eating shows". Made my day.

MiniChick
06-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I just think that there is a fine line---we often view our worlds only in terms of our own experiences---if we are food addicts, we normally assume others with food issues are the same. If we know how to cook a certain way, we assume others can do the same. I just feel, that having "been there, done that", I am sure people could have looked at my dinner made from a dollar (seriously), and exclaimed that I could have bought an apple or beans. But, I bought a sausage or meat and a bread roll instead. I just don't want to jump on that bandwagon of blaming people for what we think they should know or how we think they should eat, etc. I would rather have compassion and information, rather than apathy and disdain.

No, you're right. Like I said, there are always exceptions. I'm just playing devil's advocate, so to speak. There are people who will make excuses, and want others to excuse them, but that's not good.

Ciao
06-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I didn't really do it to be snoopy, but
I just happened to notice this one
VERY thin lady had nothing but
Fit and Active stuff in her cart.
Healthy bread, fruits, health bars, etc.

Then in our cart we had stuff
like instant pizza, loads of meat,
and chips (junk food).

It was very striking to me seeing as
how the only healthy stuff was the
salads and fruits I wanted.

nelie
06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't normally although I generally notice what is on the conveyer belt. I also generally don't shop at 'normal' grocery stores so my experience may vary slightly. Anyway, I was shopping for my dogs at a regular grocery store (20 cans of green beans), I'm guessing whoever saw me thought I really loved green beans.

The man in front of me was pretty heavy and he had a couple loaves of french bread, some deli meat and ice cream. I looked at it and thought "hey that is what I used to eat for dinner". Although substitute the deli meat for brie cheese or other cheese.

milliondollarbbw
06-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't check out carts but do end up looking at the conveyor ahead of me. The other day I commented to an older man ahead of me that his meal looked like more fun than mine. He had steak, potato, greens, and ice cream. I had yogurt. He smiled and said "Yeah, but your healthy eating shows". Made my day.

He sounds like a cool guy. :)

Today my cart was odd, I am sure----I had some hostess items, but also fresh fruit and my favorite snack--croutons! Yeah, kind of odd, but what I was craving at the moment. :)

I do feel uncomfortable when I am in a binge mode and have tons of junk food, and I feel better when I have super healthy food. :)

AdeleA
06-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't get all my groceries in any one place, and I guess neither do the other people shopping there - I mean farmers market type places, or specialty stores.
But we do get some dry goods and paper stuff, frozens etc from a regular supermarket every couple of weeks and I AM guilty of passing judgement (quietly to myself) on parents with carts full of crap....not talking a few "treats" but junk heavy/fresh produce devoid kind of carts.
The fact is many parents are too busy/tired/stressed to prepare food from scratch and I get more peed off at society and the dumbing down advertising we tolerate than I do at the actual people pushing the cart.
:(

kendra
06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
The only time i really pay any attention to what people have in their carts is if it is really full, then I think wow do you only shop every so often or does that only last a few days.
Although it was sad the other day. I was at our grocery store getting a salad, and i was being good-nothing fattening at all, it was a normal sized salad. This older guy who is pretty good sized saw it and said that is going to make you fat. I just felt sorry for him. I wanted to go well you shouldn't be buying that fried chicken but i just went we'll see and walked on.
But now that you've brought this topic up, I know i will catch myself looking in people's carts. lol

TXMary2
06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I am grocery shopping this morning and plan on doing some cart watching. :)

goodforme
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
For the record, you will NEVER see produce in my shopping cart. I get some frozen vegetables at the grocery store, but I buy all my fresh produce from the farmer's market. It's MUCH cheaper, there is a kind of camaraderie with all the people who work and shop there, and if they don't have it in stock, I'm not going to buy it from the grocery store where it's been grown under lights and ripened with chemicals and shipped across the country.

I'm one of those fat moms with a fat kid, and if you looked in my cart you would think we never ate a veggie or a piece of fruit, but you would be wrong.

S.A.S.H
06-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm usually too busy making sure my cart is organized. :lol: I used to be a cashier and I disliked when people set things up on the conveyor randomly and left me to organize their bags, while still getting them through the line quickly and efficiently. Now I make sure everything stays together in the cart, and goes up on the belt, in the order I want it bagged in. Frozen w/ frozen, meat alone, dairy together, produce together and on top, etc... It also makes it easier to put things away when I get home. I can look in a bag and know usually the whole bag goes in one place.

I tend to buy a large amount once a month and only return for produce/milk/bread bi-weekly, so my cart is pretty full on big days. I can only imagine what people think. I must have a family of 10! :lol:

tiggergirl9
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I remembered this thread today when I went to the grocery store near my bf's house in a poor neighborhood and saw a heavier lady purchasing six sodas and 8 (yes eight family size) bags of cheetos. I was overwhelmed by 8 bags of cheetos. I used to eat cheetos as a occasional snack when my parents bought it maybe once a month when I was 10-13 years old, and I thought a whole bowl was bad. I felt horrible thinking maybe it was a binge problem since I can sympathize with those feelings and behaviors. Then I thought maybe it was for a party. Then I felt bad about myself and made a rude comment to my bf about an overweight woman buying eight bags of chips. Wow this weight loss journey is changing me in ways I don't like sometimes. I feel myself being more cranky and more prone to just plain rudeness. I'm noticing it and trying to monitor my mouth however. I don't want to be a hurtful kind of person fat or thin.

squishysquirrel
06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm guilty of passing judgement on people who have a cart or two pilled up with junk food such as pop, chips, cookies, frozen pizzas, hotdogs, etc. who end up paying for said groceries at Walmart with food stamps.

AZgal8
06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
The grocery cart lurkers keep me in check. I figure if I would be embarassed to have it in my cart, then I don't need to be eating it.

My husband and I are both tryning to lose weight, so there is NO NEED for either of us to buy junk.

Cglasscock1
06-05-2010, 12:40 AM
No, I am not at all interested in what is in someone else's shopping cart.
I have imagined, however, that if they look into mine, they would see a whole lot of Lean Cusines, veggies, and fruit. They would probably decide that I don't like to cook, and they would be right!