South Beach Diet - Cool Dinners for Hot Summer Nights

CyndiM
05-26-2010, 06:56 AM
According to the calendar it's too early but a look at the Daily Thread and I know a lot of us are thinking about cool and easy summer dinners. What's on your menu?

I'm looking for new bean salads, of course :) Last night we tried Pinto Bean Salsa Salad (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/pinto-bean-salsa-salad-recipe/index.html) because I have lots of pinto beans and need recipes for them. I served it on a bed of chopped salad with some sauteed asparagus on the side and it was a perfect warm weather dinner. The recipe includes corn but you can leave that out or substitute another ingredient, small white beans or some chopped veggies?, for it.

Next up I'm trying this lentil salad (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/recipe-for-lentil-salad-with-green.html) from Kalyn.

ChelseaW
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Those sound delicious!

One of my favorite meals since before I even started South Beach is Ina Garten's Guacamole Salad (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/guacamole-salad-recipe/index.html). SO delicious, filling, and extras save really well in the fridge (minus the avocado of course.)

luckontherun
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Had the most delicious simple meal last night, I am craving again today:

WW English Muffin half, with ricotta mixed with parmesan and fresh thyme,
2 poached eggs

Side baby greens salad with kalamata olives, cottage cheese, tomatoes, and pine nuts with balsamic/OOil dressing

Cooks up in minutes! Also thought some lemon zest on the ricotta might add something:hat:

EmmaD
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Yay, bean salads!!

Today I'm having Kalyn's White Bean Salad with Tuna & Parsley (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/04/white-bean-salad-with-tuna-and-parsley.html), made with fresh parsley from the garden and water-packed tuna, not oil-packed. I have made versions of this salad for years, with and without tuna.

So good and so ridiculously easy.

This Bulgur and Chickpea Salad with Mint and Parsley (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/health/nutrition/26recipehealth.html) looks pretty good too - but based on other recipes, I would add chopped tomatoes or red pepper. And maybe skip the cinnamon? I know it's healthy, but to me sounds weird here. But maybe I should try it first...

CyndiM
05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
It's a cooler day here so I'm making baked chickpea burgers, some asparagus and a big salad with the CSA baby lettuce and mesclun mix.

RiverGirl
05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Cyndi - Chickpea burgers sound interesting... is there a recipe somewhere on the forums for them??

CyndiM
05-28-2010, 06:26 PM
We ended up with the Mock Tuna Salad (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/salads-phase-1/150043-mock-tuna-salad-chickpeas.html) (silly name, it tastes nothing like tuna salad but is really yummy all on its own) over huge mixed salads.

This is a good garbanzo burger recipe (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-2/116243-vegetarian-garbanzo-burgers.html).

CyndiM
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
Pinto bean burgers and a huge amount of grilled asparagus :)

sbweezy
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
yum those burgers sound awesome...need to add those to the rotation!

CyndiM
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Tonight I'm squeezing dinner between a vet visit and a walk so it's a quickie. We're having veggie scramble - basically spinach and peppers scrambled with eggs and served with salsa and beans. There's usually more veggie than egg ;)

TwynnB
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I am absolutely lovin' my supper....fajita salad!! This one has romaine, fresh tomatoes, sauteed onion and colored pepper, salsa, and a bit o' guac and sour cream. Delish! (oh, and taco seasoned chicken breast)

femmecreole
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
One of my summer favorites is cracked wheat (bulgar) salad. Easy to do:

Put some cracked wheat in a bowl and barely cover it with boiling water and cover it. Just leave it out on the counter till it has absorbed all the water. If any water is left, squeeze it out real good in a tea towel. If you just barely cover it, you shouldn't have to squeeze. I usually leave it out an hour or two.

Then load it up with goodies..tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta (I like the tomato basil feta for this), black beans, finely chopped red onion, chopped up fresh spinach or whatever else you want to add like raw squash etc. I make a balsamic vinegarette out of olive oil, vinegar, garlic, creole seasoning, and herbs out of the garden (tarragon, parsley, basil). You can also add "meaty" stuff like chicken or my favorite, grilled shrimp. Even better the next day. I really load it up so that the bulk of the salad is veggies.

Lexxiss
07-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Tonight we had veggie burgers with all the trimmin's and a dollop of hummus. It may be a night for a small serving of FF NSA Ice cream! Yay for Friday!

Natasha1534
07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Those sound delicious!

One of my favorite meals since before I even started South Beach is Ina Garten's Guacamole Salad (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/guacamole-salad-recipe/index.html). SO delicious, filling, and extras save really well in the fridge (minus the avocado of course.)

That sounds LOVELY and refreshing. Can't wait to try it!!!

Fat Melanie
07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
3 bean salad: green beans, dark kidney beans, and chickpeas marinated in the fridge for at least a day in olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and other seasonings ( a homemade italian dressing, basically). Yum-o!

Natasha1534
07-10-2010, 01:44 AM
3 bean salad: green beans, dark kidney beans, and chickpeas marinated in the fridge for at least a day in olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and other seasonings ( a homemade italian dressing, basically). Yum-o!
I buy something similar to this at Sam's but it's also got wax beans and 1 other type of bean that I can't remember...plus onions and pimentos and it's in a vinegar based type sauce. I use them on top of my regular salad and it's yummy!!!

Xan
07-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm glad this thread is back!

I went out for dinner last night and had a delicious mushroom dish. It was billed as a stew, but tasted as though it was simply several kinds of mushrooms cooked in butter, onion and garlic and served with the sauce made naturally in the cooking, along with 3 of the thinnest imaginable slices of potato, a few equally thin slices of a hard cheese (like Romano) that I couldn't identify, and a side dish of baby asparagus. It was really lovely, and I'm going to try to duplicate it, minus the potatoes.

CyndiM
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
avocado gazpacho and a veggie burger. We ate alot of that this weekend on our camping trip :)

cottagebythesea
07-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I made a huge ww pasta salad with cubes of lowfat sharp cheddar, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion, hb eggs, 1/2 a small green pepper 1/2 a small yellow pepper, and 1/2 a red bell pepper, with a red wine vinegar and oil vinaigrette. Besides being supper tonight, it will be my lunch for the next few days, too.

Schmoodle
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
What a great idea for a thread! I can't wait to read through and get some new ideas. I have no AC in my old house and my goal is to not turn on my oven once during the summer and use my stovetop sparingly. I manage this by grilling alot, eating salads or no-cook meals, or using my crock pot or steamer back in the summer kitchen where the heat won't spread to the house. Our summer faves are:

sandwiches
salade Niçoise
insalata Caprese
Gazpacho
3 bean salad (or any kind of bean salad)
crock pot pulled pork
grilled anything - last week my mom brought us two ridiculously huge zucchinis, which I halved, hollowed, stuffed with crumbled leftover hamburgers, spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, and grilled. I wasn't sure how they would turn out, but they were delicous, and even the cheese browned a little. Tonight I'm trying cedar plank salmon. We do chipotle chicken a lot and sausage kabobs.

The avocado salad looks super.

Xan
08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
My favorite thread, and I had to dig back to page 7 to find it! Actually, I've spent the evening reading old threads again, and back in the summer of 2008, you all had some great what's for dinner threads. Anything cooking, or chilled, this summer?

My dinner was disappointing. I bought salmon patties at Whole Foods (yes, I know I should be making them myself; all in good time) and they were very dry, and so spicy I couldn't taste the salmon. The asparagus was lovely, though.

rdw1
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
After reading this I have decided to start soaking some more beans and tomorrow is pressure cooker day! I will cook all my beans for the next couple weeks or so! *sigh* that is an all day job though, even using the pressure cooker! But I love having beans frozen to just reheat without all the sodium of canned beans!

EmmaD
08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I've been on a downward slide of NO planning, so I haven't been posting in the planning thread. BUT I found a great recipe for dinner, so simple and it sounds delicious. So I am posting it in this thread :)

Grilled Zucchini Greek Salad (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2005/10/grilled-zucchini-greek-salad.html)

Natasha1534
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I've been on a downward slide of NO planning, so I haven't been posting in the planning thread. BUT I found a great recipe for dinner, so simple and it sounds delicious. So I am posting it in this thread :)

Grilled Zucchini Greek Salad (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2005/10/grilled-zucchini-greek-salad.html)
I'm gonna have to try this one soon. I love zucchini and am always looking for new ways to put it to use. ;)

EmmaD
08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm gonna have to try this one soon. I love zucchini and am always looking for new ways to put it to use. ;)

Ha! Yes, I remember growing zucchini and getting quite creative about how to use it up, or give it away.

Check out Kalyn's 20 zucchini recipes (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/08/twenty-zucchini-recipes-for-sneak-some.html)! I want to make the stuffed caps...

Xan
08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Inspired by this thread, and by Whole Foods' pre-sliced zukes and yellow squash, I sauteed them and an onion in oil, sprinkledcsome reduced fat shredded mozzarella on top and put the lid on until the cheese melted.

CyndiM
08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I can't get enough zucchini. I use baby zukes in smoothies, bigger ones with just about everything and huge ones get shredded and dehydrated for winter crockpot stews.

Tonight's dinner was sauteed patty pan squash, 1 ear of fresh off the stalk corn, and Italian tomato salad over Greek yogurt (it was the easiest way to sneak protein in that I could come up with).

Tomorrow will be a frittata with squash, Italian parsley & feta

Fat in Hong Kong
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Yesterday, I made zucchini 'tagliatelle' with eggplant sauce (made from chopped eggplant, garlic, sliced olives, chopped tomato, dried oregano, fresh basil), and topped with a little low fat grated cheese. It was delicious and very filling.

Natasha1534
08-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Ha! Yes, I remember growing zucchini and getting quite creative about how to use it up, or give it away.

Check out Kalyn's 20 zucchini recipes (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/08/twenty-zucchini-recipes-for-sneak-some.html)! I want to make the stuffed caps...

Oooh, I hadn't seen that. Thanks!!!

rdw1
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Cyndi- I am with you I can't get enough zucchini! I have always been this way and my dh is tired of it. He doesn't eat it anymore, well, maybe once a month and I eat it almost every day. Darned squash bugs killed all but one of my plants and the last one is on its way out I am afraid :( I don't use any pesticides in my garden and soap water didn't do the trick. oh well, just another excuse to go to the farmers market!

Tonight I made pinto beans, wild rice with broccoli, sauteed kale with vinegar, and corn fritters. Good Southern comfort food! I was a little high on the carb side tonight but I saw the recipe for the corn fritters in my new subscription to rachel ray and I couldn't wait to try it... :) I did throw out the leftovers though so I wouldn't be tempted by them later or tomorrow! Lucky for me I am not a huge corn fan, I eat it about once a month in the summer and even less than that in the winter... but dh sure likes it!

Lexxiss
08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Friday night:

Inspired by Matilda (Mmc) I'm making Panzanella Salad.
tomatoes,
cucumber,
red onion,
fresh basil
mozzerella bites
and bread cubes

tossed in a homemade vinegarette..sprinkled with fresh parmesan...I think that's it...lite and cool tonight!

rdw1
08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Black beans on salad=taco salad :) added black olives fresh green onions, cilantro, and avocado with a bit of daiya cheese. Yum!

Not very imaginitive but the quick easy and the house didn't get hot from all the cooking. Its 8:00 and its still 97 degrees out... with the heat index 103. unbelievable!!!

EmmaD
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Reviving this thread from oblivion. The last days of summer!! Maybe we need a new thread for inspiration on how to use all the abundant produce?

Tonight for dinner: gorgeous stuffed red bell peppers (mine with veggie crumbles and spinach - Phase 1- hubby's with meat and rice), grilled pattypan squash with herbed chickpeas (http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/08/roasted_patty_pan_squash_and_herbed_chickpeas.php) , and the ubiquitous broccoli and cauliflower on the side. I had heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella earlier - yum!

I love this time of year...