100 lb. Club - How long have you been doing this?

Lyn2007
05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I know many of us have been trying to lose weight our whole adult lives, but how long have you been at it *this time*?

I've been working on losing this weight consistently for 2 years and 9 months now. I've had a string of a few days here and there that I felt out of control, but always got right back on and kept working at it. I am pretty proud of myself for doing this. I've been binge free for 12 weeks now.

therex
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
i've been actively trying to lose weight since april, so this would be my second month. i'm pretty disappointed i haven't been consistent, but i'm not giving up.

Meg
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Next Tuesday will make nine years for me. It took about a year to lose the weight and I'll spend the rest of my life working to keep it off. :)

WarMaiden
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Since May 1st, 2008, when I gave up sugar. So, just over 2 years total. However, I took a maintenance break of about 6 months from July through December last year, due to the stress of my mom's illness. I didn't really gain any weight during that time, though I do think I lost a little lean mass since I wasn't working out. Oh well.

cfmama
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Steadily since September 27 of 2008... so 20 months!

Gourmet Bean
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Meg, congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

February 13th of this year was when this big change hit. This is also the first time I've ever been successful. I NEVER thought I'd be back in a size 16 and still losing.

TJFitnessDiva
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
My two year anniversary was on the 8th of this month :D

ubercast
05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I started in march....

Michelle98272
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
This go round? December 26, 2009 was my start date. I didn't want my commitment to be a New Years Resolution thus likely to be broken, so I started 5 days early.

Terre
05-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I started Jan 18th this year

saef
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
This attempt started in January 2007. But it wasn't part of a New Year's resolution. It happened after I had a dark night of the soul (literally & figuratively) while at our company's annual offsite meeting in Las Vegas in the middle of January 2007.

I keep a diary, so I should look up the exact date & start commemorating it.

ETA: When I think of commemorating a date, I always think of Lori Bell's "March Forth" story. That one just won't leave me. I think because I felt as though I were reading about a conversion experience.

Nada
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Right at 4 years--with 3 long maintenance breaks, slight re-gains but no major relapse.

MiniChick
05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, I'm not a member of this group, but I hope you don't mind me sharing what I went through. It has taken me about 5 years altogether. It took me a couple years of trial and error to go from 185 to 120. I maintained goal for a year and then gained about 25 lbs. back. I've been trying to get back on top of my weight gain ever since then. I did stop gaining, but now I am finally losing again, and on my way back to 120. My slip up was hard for me and I felt like I had literally lost my control over food/myself again. It did teach me a very important lesson though...I will NEVER think that I can "relax" during the holidays/any special occasion ever again. I had done so good during my year of maintaining, and felt completely in control of myself, so I deduced that I would be able to control myself with a relaxed attitude towards my eating during the holidays. By relaxed, I mean having more junk food than I would normally eat, not that I'm not comfortable/at ease with my normal, day to day, eating. Big mistake! Before I knew it, my cravings went out of control. I lost control of my cravings; they had taken over. It took me months, and a 25 lb. gain before I could get things back under control. I never realized before, until I went through that, how intense cravings can really be, and how out of control it leaves you feeling. I felt so helpless, but my light of hope was knowing that I had done it before and I could do it again. I just had to get a foothold again, which I have. I don't ever want to go through that experience again, and now I know what not to do so that I don't ever go through that again.

hairchick40v
05-25-2010, 03:17 PM
8 days for me!! You guys inspire me soooo much!! Especially the ones who are keeping it off!!! You go!!! I have lost and gained 100's of lbs in my life!! I am ready to lose and maintain!!

time2lose
05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I have been on plan since the first of Sept, 2008 (can't say the exact day) so 20 months and some days. I have had an off day here and there but pretty much have been on plan. Some of your posts have made me feel better. Sometimes I get down on myself because I have not lost 100 pounds in a year. It is nice to know that I have some company in taking a little longer with weight loss.

GirlyGirlSebas
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
This time? Since yesterday. :o

JennieLovesKisses
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I've been on this weight loss journey since March of last year and have lost 106-107lbs.

Passionista
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I started (this time) in December. I'm wishing that it would be faster loss but I'm working on moderation...I get too obsessive if I force anything else than what I'm doing now!

catherinef
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
21 months for me. Not quite done yet, although I hit what I thought my goal weight would be a couple of months back, and decided to go for another 20, which I'm now closing in on.

PeanutsMom704
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
November 2, 2009 so almost 7 months. I'm not always perfectly on plan but there is definitely something very, very different about this time and I have confidence that I will keep going. 3fc is a huge part of that for me.

Trazey34
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
two plus years, and almost 130 down. Did it MY way, ignored a lot of things I knew wouldn't work for me, kept at it even when it seemed hopeless. Things change if you keep at it long enough.

OrganizedChaos
05-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Oct 26, 2009 - 7 Months tomorrow! I changed my life and haven't looked back. I feel better than I have felt in 13 years when I was under 200 for like a brief second, LOL! I have not figured out why it was successful this time vs the many other times I started but it really clicked for me. I am already so much farther along than I expected I would be at this point.

oneLess
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
This time? 2 months.
But I really started fresh this Jan 1st and lost 10 pounds and then gained them back during March and now lost them plus some and still going!

paris81
05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
This time, since July 22, 2009. It's slow, but I think more sustainable than anything I've tired before. I've never stuck with it this long either, so I feel pretty proud of that.

Although I've been trying to lose weight since I was 12 (I'm 28 now--so a looong time, and all I did for most of that was gain!)

Nikki6kidsmom
05-25-2010, 04:50 PM
November 1, 2008. The day after Halloween , I had a 3 month old little baby boy at the time (plus 5 other children) and was the biggest I had ever been. I have been taking it one day at a time since then putting one foot infront of the other. It hasn't been easy but it's been far easier than I thought it would be.

caryesings
05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
April 20, 2009 so just a little over 13 months.

Eliana
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
November 9th, 2009, so six and a half months. There has not been one day that I have not been on plan in all that time.

05-25-2010, 05:40 PM
I started counting calories on April 22 of this year. For around a month before that, I was practicing healthy eating but wasn't tracking or weighing myself.

lovemyboy
05-25-2010, 05:54 PM
October 25, 2009 - Sixth months today!! This is the longest I've gone without quitting. It is working this time because I'm
not dieting.

Shmead
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
July 2, 2009. 115 pounds down. If you'd told me this time last year I'd be able to zip and button (if not actually wear out of the house) a pair of size 12 Levi's, I'd have laughed in your face. What a difference a year can make!

yoyoma
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Hmm. Not really sure how to count, but I would claim over two years. There have been some sidetracks during that time, but I have not exceeded my original goal weight (150) since the time I reached it (but I have yet to find/reach my ultimate goal weight and I have weighed less than I do now).

Eliana
05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
What a difference a year can make!

The one thing that keeps me going! :carrot: That statement is pretty much my new motto.

renstwin
05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
This time since Jan 2010.

The two years before I lost 35 pounds in 4 or so months, then would spend the next 8 months gaining it back. Not this time. This is the most I have lost and stuck with in a long time. I think we just can't quit trying. If you keep trying, it only takes one time to stick.

mingle
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
This time - today is my 27th day. :D I started watching what I ate about 2 weeks before that, but 27 days ago was a time of real commitment from me!!

ShylahEQ
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I started to want to lose weight in December 09, I started calorie counting in February of 2010.

ubergirl
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Me, June 19th, 2009, so I'm closing in on a year. And I have never had a major screw up yet!!!

Glory87
05-25-2010, 09:44 PM
I started in July 2004. Nearly 6 years.

Still completely happy, still consistent, I have so many good habits that make this easy for me.

Gela
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Since November, 2007. I've had lots of losses and lots of gains. I have learned a lot over these years and am confident that this time my habits will permanently change.

SnowboundChick
05-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I originally started about 6 months before I found out i was pregnant with my 3rd son, so about Nov 2005. I got derailed for some time, with the overwhelming parenthood of 3 active boys and depression. I got back on track again in late 2008 but got derailed in Aug 09 with marital issues. I'm slowly making my way back to feeling good about myself again and plugging those little routines and changes back into daily life.

But my Mom told me today that my Dad might have cancer again and I'm pretty shook up but determined that this will be my motivator and not my derailer!

spaghetticat
05-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Since February, and still swimming!

Cglasscock1
05-26-2010, 02:21 AM
I started June 1 of 2010. I did maintenance for about 6 months during which I had two bunionectomies. I have restarted in April but have not really lost any weight. I think my body likes 152! I will overcome this plateau!

Loving Me
05-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I started on 27 July 2009, so 10 months tomorrow. I just wish I'd started so much sooner, but then again I don't think I was in the right place mentally and I had to reach that point before I finally knew what I needed to do.
I feel like a different person to the one from a year ago both physically and mentally.

CJZee
05-26-2010, 05:09 AM
March 10, 2009. On that day I started with a personal trainer. He wouldn't train me without my doctor's permission which was somewhat humiliating.

I wasn't sure I could lose weight, but I was sure I could get healthier with exercise and that was my plan. I also did not want the mental burden of trying to lose weight because I knew the gut-wrenching sadness and angst that came with the one large (sad chuckle here) failure in my life.

But fate intervenes, and I started calorie counting on software my trainer recommended so as to "eat better food" not to lose weight (I did not want to fail again.) Then I started counting carbs. Then I started losing weight and ... magic! ... cutting the sugar just eliminated the hunger. I'm so grateful.

findingfawn
05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
My final journey (this time is the last time I'm doing this, I now know what I have to do, and what I can never do) started 24 days ago on the 3rd.

GirlyGirlSebas
05-26-2010, 09:16 AM
But my Mom told me today that my Dad might have cancer again and I'm pretty shook up but determined that this will be my motivator and not my derailer!

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will hope that it is not so. Hang in there.

yoyo no more
05-26-2010, 09:41 AM
I started this new weight loss journey about 10 months ago, but due to the stress of student teaching, my last year of college, and my first year of living on my own I actually gained 15 more pounds.

I graduated on May 15 and I started my revolution about 8 days later when my mom gave me the pics from graduation. Needless to say, I should have been happy looking at them BUT the whole time I could not stop thinking about how in the world I could do to that to my body. It is time for no more excuses. I need to make a change. I think I am finally mature enough to realize there is no fast solution, and that I need to make a complete life change. I am more determined than ever. I never again want to look at a picture and be that miserable. For that reason, I am so glad I found this site!!!!!

mmiller2829
05-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Jan.13th is when I changed my own life. I just realized it will be 6months on my DD 18th birthday. I HOPE she has learned some of te things tha I have JUST learned in these last six months so she NEVER has to do the yo yo crap that hermom had to do for sooooo many years. Cuz see when I started this in Jan. I not only changed my eating habits and my activities I changed my WHOLE families. Which honestly is one of the reasons I am succeeding this time. AND DANGIT IT FEELS GREAT TO SUCCEED!

caryesings
05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I started this new weight loss journey about 10 months ago, but due to the stress of student teaching, my last year of college, and my first year of living on my own I actually gained 15 more pounds.

I graduated on May 15 and I started my revolution about 8 days later when my mom gave me the pics from graduation. Needless to say, I should have been happy looking at them BUT the whole time I could not stop thinking about how in the world I could do to that to my body. It is time for no more excuses. I need to make a change. I think I am finally mature enough to realize there is no fast solution, and that I need to make a complete life change. I am more determined than ever. I never again want to look at a picture and be that miserable. For that reason, I am so glad I found this site!!!!!

I know this is off topic but this goes back to a thread I wrote end of last year about perspective. I too have been looking at graduation pictures (from my niece's college graduation a few weeks ago) and I am thrilled to bits about seeing pictures of myself at the same size that this poster is unhappy about.

Yo yo - Go for it, but don't put yourself down for where you are now. When I was your age I was beating myself up for weighing 145.

calluna
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I've been working on it for about 5 months, and I'm sixty-something pounds down. I think I've hit my first major slowdown, though...naturally that would happen right before onederland...

AmyMW
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I started sometime in early Jan 2010 (not a new years res or anything, just got tired of feeling terrible). I am down 55 in under 5 months, so I am thrilled. I am not on a diet, I just changed the way I eat.

jigglefree
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
I started Jan 3, 2010. Not a New Years Resolution but a moment of clarity. The decision to go in a different direction with my body was made on 12/25/2009 when I realized I was the only fat person in my family and bigger than I have ever been. In the past four and a half months I have gone from a size 22/24...mostly 24 to a size 16.

oodlesofnoodles
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I guess I really started at the end of August of 2007. I slowly lost, maintained for a while, and slowly lost more. I had one big hiccup in my journey starting in about September of 09, and since 1/25/10 I've been back with a brand new attitude of sorts lol. I'm not stopping until I get to goal.

Arctic Mama
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Hmm... Good question! I think I can say it has been since November '08, on WW, and then I switched to calorie counting and food logging in May '09 and have been doing the same thing ever since. I have had a few stalls and higher calorie sections for maintenance, and am maintaining during pregnancy, as well as not choosing to lose aggressively when on plan (a pound a week is fine for me!) so that is why my losses have been slow ;)

I haven't regained though! Amen for that, right?

PaulaM
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Seriously dieting, probably about three months. This is only the third "diet" I've ever been on and I'm not calling this one a diet, just a lifestyle change with going back to being the gym rat I used to be. I was slim in my 20s, 30s, and then slowly starting gaining 5 lbs every single year without taking any off. Which led me to now. I've lost 15 lbs so far, of course would like it to be more but I'm not stressing over it cause I'm eating the right things now.

duckyyellowfeet
05-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Sept 2009, the same day I joined here. I was looking for WW friendly recipes and just stumbled upon this website. Best stroke of luck ever.

I've had a rough semester so my weight loss has been slower since the end of January. Its still going down, just slower than I'm completely happy with, although any loss is better than a gain. So I can already tell that summer is going to be a major recommitment for me, along with some serious thought into maintenance.