Weight Loss Support - My jaw dropped

View Full Version : My jaw dropped

Tomato
05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't know where to post this so I will just leave it here.

I was up very late night as I was sick and to distract myself from the pain I watched TV. I ended up watching a show about America's 10 best diners ( either on TLC or on the food network).

I have to say that my jaw dropped and I was unable to get it back up. The culinary 'creations' that they serve at those places .... no wonder America is so out of shape and overweight (and it's not any better here in Canada). I have to say that some of the meals looked very delicious and mouth watering but seeing what went into into those meals and the portions (suitable for Arnold in his days of heavy body building, or Michael Phelps when training for the Olympics, but not for the ordinary person) I doubt I would order any of them. The pancakes the size of the entire plate, SWIMMING in butter and syrup .... the French toast soaked in a concoction of whipped eggs, heavy cream, and syrup, and stuffed with sauteed banana and mango, with a huge blob of whipped cream ....

But, one of the meals trumped all the rest - I think it's served in Philly but I could be wrong. They serve - drum rolls please - a TWELVE egg omelet stuffed with bacon, several slices of cheese, sour cream and I forgot what else. They way it's made - they have to pour a very generous amount of oil on the enormous griddle and then when they pour the whipped eggs, all dozen of them, on top of the oil. When the omelet is almost done, they put the various stuffings in layers in the middle and then fold the omelet into a neat - although huge - package that is being served - another drum rolls please - on top of THREE generous servings of hash browns and the resulting meal is so huge that it is served on a tin pizza tray.
They did show one of the diner's loyal customers who polished the entire thing by himself and then said he may order some extra hash browns (well, he looked accordingly, as you can imagine). I was thinking ..... that's a coronary waiting to happen.

Also, on a new episode of Bulging Brides (also last night) they showed what the bride-to-be ate in one day - it was all piled together so it is hard to say what exactly was in it, but I could see some nachos with cheese etc., fries, and at least two coffees with whipped cream - they said it was around 10,700 calories!!! That would feed EIGHT average 3FC chicks for a day.

And, as you can imagine, all of these diners are extremely successful, often with customers waiting in long lineups around the block on weekends ......
I think we have a serious problem.

Jacquie668
05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
You should watch Man Versus Food lol...some big icky food on that show, still fun to watch especially when he does the SPICY challenges hahahaha. Not to mention Diners Drive-Ins and Dives (which I love to watch) and never miss an episode if I can help it.

However, I think the giant pancakes and twelve egg omelets are more for food eating challengers (why you would want to do that is beyond me). Like the giant burritos or blah blah. I mean I think to myself, why would you want to eat gigantic pancakes, but lol they do. There is a place in Texas that serves giant cinnamon rolls and another place in NJ I think that serves GIANT deli sandwiches and GIANT slices of cake! I did notice a lot of people though eat those meals in groups.

I think the problems aren't the twelve egg omelets, but the "smaller" sized meals. Like super sized fries or over the top portions like the Grand Slams of Dennys or just regular ol' Diner food which is always heavy on the portions. While someone gawks at someone eating something bigger than life, but they don't so much with a large helping of carb cakes, two eggs, bacon, sausage...whatever.

Still...*shudders* I can't even imagine eating all those pancakes..when I have had pancakes, and I did three times this year, I couldn't even finish them and they were on the small side lol. I suck! lol So many carbs...and I don't even like much syrup either. I can't understand the drenching with syrup and butter....ew.

ThicknPretty
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Ugh.

I honestly believe if everyone watched shows like this, it would prove a kick in the pants for a lot of people who have fooled themselves into thinking that food in restaraunts is really "not that bad". The thing about most restaraunt food that gets me is all these extra, sometimes hidden and often unecessary ingredients that just make the calories sky high. And it's ridiculous because there are a lot of little corners that could be cut to save the arteries of their diners without sacraficing much flavor at all.

That omelet thing sounds horrific, but I can imagine several of my family members (mostly male) polishing that off as well. I might have given it a shot a year ago, but the good thing about this lifestyle change is that it makes stuff like that seem way more disgusting than it could ever be yummy!

Good post, thanks!

saef
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
The Guinness Book of World Records attests to the popularity of being the biggest & creating something that is the most gargantuan, just for the sake of doing so. So I sort of understand where the creators of these dishes are coming from, in trying to do something extreme, just for the sake of seeing how far they can push it.

The people who choose to partake ... well ... I sort of expected this kind of backlash to happen, didn't you? As soon as the idea of eating healthily makes some inroads, and discourse about putting calories on menus & taxing sugar-sweetened sodas gets into the air, there will be people who resist & rebel & eat like this as an act of defiance.

I don't know who they think they're defying, or whether it actually helps. To them, it doesn't seem like spitting into the wind.

There are always going to be sybarites in this world & their wallets are just as tempting as anyone else's.

Breannaj1215
05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Thats crazy!!!! I was watching diners, drive ins, and dives on food network and they way they were making the food was actually nauseating. I was completely disgusted.

saef
05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
ThicknPretty's post reminded me of the sport of Male Competitive Eating. It's mostly practiced by guys in their teens & 20s, but you know in some cases you can't take the boy out of the man. Can't you imagine a high school football team or a frat party showing up at these diners & ordering this as a test of their manhood & chortling over it for days afterward?

And heck, I've witnessed Female Competitive Undereating, the reverse phenomenon, and it makes me just as uneasy & disgusted.

Extreme gluttony & extreme self-denial can both be spectator sports. I don't want to see either, but people with an audience sometimes can be urged into doing things they wouldn't do alone.

Jacquie668
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I guess to sum up, I'm a vegetarian/vegan (on the line) and I love watching those shows. I agree, it is extreme, but I find it entertaining as well. It isn't a real kick in the pants as I don't eat 99% of what these shows offer, yet I have to admit I find it interesting to watch. I mean most of it is cheese and meat...which I find gross anyhow, yet I can't look away hahahaha. It is like a train wreck lol.

The truth is a lot of people love these shows and watch them and then they go out and find these places and enjoy the food. I mean just go to Youtube and see all the videos of people visiting the places they see on TV and basking in their food glory. They do Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives tours and etc etc. Some people seek out the Man Versus Food challenges and then some. I don't think it is getting them to eat healthier to see all that stuff. I mean the facts are as soon as one of these places are on TV they get hit with popularity. People coming from all over to eat their food, then record it, or write about it, and etc.

Besides some of the shows actually showcase healthy food, though rare, it still is in there a mix the endless vats of fat and grease.

jigglefree
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
All I could think reading your post is OMG. That's a lot of food and 10,000+ calories is wild. I bet before January I probably could have taken the omelet or pancakes out with no problem. No wonder I had gotten so big.

sweetnlow28
05-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I watch diners, drive in, and dives too. It sounds similar to the show you watched. I used to watch it for the good food :o but now I make an effort to watch it as an eye opener! My husband and I were just taking about the role that fast food restaurants play in the obesity epidemic. It is so unfortunate that taste and convenience usually comes before our health. I used to be one of those people who would order some of the items on these shows, without guilt because "everybody's doing it too" I find some of the foods nauseating now which I consider a good thing ;)

Shannon in ATL
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
From someone who works in food service, it is totally doable to make even fast food better for you. We use all fresh ingredients, don't use a lot of oils, use lean meats, smaller portions than most places. That being said, I often see people ordering 3,4,5 even 6 burgers or hotdogs here or two order of a side item, and often get complaints about the product being too small. I don't believe it is too small at all. We have been in business for 80 years now and the sizes are the same today as they were then. No complaints about the burger being too small in 1928. Interesting how our expectation as a consumer has changed. We believe everything we get should be huge, from cars to food portions.

I watch Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, too, and sometimes Man v. Food. MvF featured a pizza place near my house one time - their extra large pizza is 30", the smallest available is a 16" medium.

Their claim to fame:
Carnivore Challenge
Two People, 11 lbs Carnivore Pizza, One hour to eat it all.

$50 to try…$250 cash if you win.
If you would like to schedule a challenge call. Typically they are scheduled at 3:30 and 8:30 Monday – Thursday

The Rules of the Challenge.

You must eat the entire pizza in under one hour.
You cannot throw up, and if you do, you are responsible for the cleanup! If you are going to throw up, do it outside, in the trash can, or make it to the bathroom.
You cannot leave the table once you start the time, you can stand up walk around and let your food settle, but you cannot leave the general vicinity.
If we catch you violating the rules you will be immediately disqualified. The rules are very firm and we do enforce them!

At least they split the pizza between two people for this one... The Carnivore is pepperoni, ground beef, italian sausage, ham and bacon. They proudly post the winners on the website and with pics on the walls of the restaurant. Most are college boys.

Danielle2842
05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I completely agree! I sometimes watch Man v Food for shock value, but I don't think people should consider those massive meals as more than a once per year event.

Eating out is actually how I gained the majority of my weight. Yes- it was completely MY fault that I chose to order some of the most calorie laden items on the menu, but I really don't think 3,400 calorie meals should even be an option for people. What's wrong with offering 1/2 the amount? Or changing ingredients for a healthier dish? It's almost like restaurants have joined in forces to purposefully make us gigantic! Having meals that average two and three times the calories that a person should have per day is just unacceptable.

I still eat out once a week, on average, but I always educate myself on the nutritional info. BEFORE I go, and I order the lowest calorie option. It's always delicious and it's always satisfying. I don't feel like I'm missing out because I know exactly where all those other high cal. meals got me - obese and unhappy.

ennay
05-25-2010, 11:31 AM
For some reason Man vs. Food is almost always showing at the gym.

annie175
05-25-2010, 11:34 AM
It is too bad that most of life's celebrations or excitement is always built around food. Why not around a volleyball game or something?

Firecracker777
05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Yea its almost a disgrace what they will serve. My bf and his coworkers usually get lunch from the lunch trucks over at drexel where i went to college since they are really close to it and theres not much near by to get a quick lunch. Well he came home the other day and was like "guess what I had for lunch today?" I figured maybe a crepe(since another school has a crepe truck and he always talks about it lol) or something at a new truck and he says "a sandwhich called fat jimmys sister" Ok let me explain whats on this "sandwhich" its a cheese steak with cheese fries, chicken fingers and mozzarellas sticks. Gross? YES! he insisted it tasted good but I told him his heart is gonna stop if that becomes a habit!!

Read about it at truck #7...
http://media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2005/10/07/Entertainment/2005-Lunch.Truck.Review.Get.Your.Between.Class.Eats-1013861.shtml

TornadoSiren
05-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the whole thing is "not a habit".

My hat is off to you ladies who now think that these fat laden, heart attacks on a plate are "gross". I am in full agreement that they are not even remotely healthy, but this does not stop me from also knowing that a good majority of them taste damn good. If once every few months I feel the need to go have a big plate of nachos with drippy monterey jack cheese, a side order of mozarella sticks, and a few beers, I am not likely to keel over from it. Oh sure..I can (and do) make a healthy version of nachos for regular old eating. I can use low fat and low cal substitutes for most things I might enjoy, but no matter how I might try to convince myself, or how others might try to convince me it is not "exactly the same and just as tasty". Oh, it is tasty, but it is not the same.

What someone else puts into their body, or what some restaurant serves, is not my business, nor my concern. If a restaurant's menu consists of almost all heart attack inducing entrees that is their call. Do we really want to live in a society where our personal choices no longer matter, and what can and cannot be served is legislated? I say, live your healthy livestyle, enjoy what you enjoy, make your own choices, and keep your eyes on your own plate.

Serbrider
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
I've always thought they were gross... ;)

I dunno... I'm weird. I love broccoli, peas, and salads.

I never liked those huge greasy fatty plates of food. They always gave me stomach aches. :p

I never liked nachos that much either. When I make my own it consists of: tortilla chips and queso con salsa... and that's it. :p Because everything else ruins the taste for me. ;)

I dunno... when I watch those shows... on a diet or not... I'm just floored.

Maybe it's because I grew up in Europe... and in europe... a large soda from a fast food chain is the size of the smalls here in the US. Yes... the meat portions and bread portions are larger... but I don't like meat that much. :p So I'll eat about half... if that.

Now... the candy stuff... my weakness. Urgh. :p

ETA: Have any of you guys seen on the food channel something about the heart attack restaurant? Like... their point is that yes... their food can cause a heart attack. The food is like... UBER fried... and extremely unhealthy. And people stuff their face. However... I think that the main reason people eat there is for the women. They have a bunch of skinny, big-boobed ladies that look after you, take your blood pressure, etc. All dressed up in skimpy nurse outfits. Probably the only time those fat ugly old men will ever meet a girl like that.

Jacquie668
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Ha what about the Heart Attack Grill, as that place is not only a heart attack waiting to happen they celebrate it! They even have waitresses dress up as nurses to give you your "medicine" which consists of giant burgers dripping with fat and grease and more fries than anyone could eat! I believe one of their burgers is called Double Bypass or something. That pretty much sums up Man Versus Food or all those other food shows and what they feature.

Or when Anthony Bourdain when to the meat bar in some country, I forget where, and he hate two huge helpings of MEATS lol. EW! So gross, but I couldn't stop watching the show...

Hey those shows are better than the Semi Homemade Kwanzaa Cake...I mean that is not only incredibly disgusting, but it is basically just gritty icing with pie filling in the middle. Or her chocolate icing "truffles", which are just piles of icing. I mean to me that is more of a problem because there are people right now eating piles of icing because of that woman and they are saying they are "truffles." Just an excuse to eat processed foods.

WarMaiden
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I say, live your healthy livestyle, enjoy what you enjoy, make your own choices, and keep your eyes on your own plate.

This thread is not about critiquing the plates or habits of individual diners, it's about critiquing our North American food culture, which is undeniably killing us. Restaurant food is part of that food culture, as is the apparent expectation of the public that food should come in ever-larger portions, and our shared obsession with processed-to-death frankenfoods.

It's all well and good to endorse people eating this junk, in giant portions, every once in a while...but that's not the honest truth about how the average American or Canadian lives.

EZMONEY
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
LOL....My dream date would be to go to Heart Attack Grill with my wife :)...No way she is eating all of any plate...leaving more for me....

ahh...to die for....

We both really enjoy Diners and Dives...we even joked about doing a road trip visiting some of them along the way...probably never happen...:(

Angie even started watching a Diners and Dives show on the flight home from NY on Sunday ...one diner close to where she grew up...may visit that one someday :)

Actually Guy Fieri is on my new Guideposts cover...haven't read it yet...

Reminds me once I made a lasagna recipe of his...with pepperoni...yum-o as RR says...my nephew and I shared it...then I made it when we worked out of town for my brother and bil....they love it....the dish gets brought up at family gatherings sometimes...it's awesome...have had it 3 times in 3 years...

to die for.....

moderation folks....

Eliana
05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Here's my old favorite, really very normal meal:

Long John's Silver fish and chips basket:

1 fish @ 260 calories X2 = 520
fries @ 310
1 hushpuppy @ 60 calories X2 = 120
Large Mountain Dew, 40 ounces @ 550

TOTAL: 1500 calories

Tomato
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
What someone else puts into their body, or what some restaurant serves, is not my business, nor my concern. If a restaurant's menu consists of almost all heart attack inducing entrees that is their call. Do we really want to live in a society where our personal choices no longer matter, and what can and cannot be served is legislated? I say, live your healthy livestyle, enjoy what you enjoy, make your own choices, and keep your eyes on your own plate.

I would like to clarify that I, for one, am not of the persuasion that "McDonald's made me fat" (wasn't there some kind of a law suited where somebody sued McD's for making him[or her?] fat)?
I understand that the diners (geez, since so many of you mentioned "Diners and dives" I have to start watching it but I know darn well that watching food network makes me want to eat, and often the less than healthy choices) are a BUSINESS and they are in the business to make money. And they will prosper as long as they have customers.
I am the one who is responsible for my own weight, for my BF%, and for the number on the scale. Not the diners, not McD's, not the Dairy Queen (by the way, I think I have been to DQ only once during my entire life in Canada (19 years - fortunately, I find their stuff disgusting) and not any other restaurant. I have a choice. I do not have to eat there, I can cook at home my own healthy meals. And if I do go every once in a while, it won't kill me if I overindulge (even though I try to stick to some of their less dangerous options).

But becoming a 3FC chick (says Tomato proudly :D) taught me so much. Not that I would have ever needed to look it up somewherewhether a 12 egg omelet is healthy. But before I embarked on this journey, I preferred not to know what is in food and how healthy (or, most cases, NOT healthy) it is. Now I want to know and I choose accordingly. And invariably, my choices changed by 180 degrees.

PaulaM
05-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Husband and I regularly talk about the difference in restaurant meals today compared to back in the 70s for example. The most obvious difference is the size of the plates. Everything now is on a platter, back in "our day" it was an 8 inch dish. Today they are always pushing appetizers on you first. I don't know about you all, but I never need something to give me an appetite, cause I always have one! The desserts are three times as big, the muffins are four times the size they used to be. In some chain type restaurants, 85% of the entrees have bacon on/in them. It really isn't any wonder so many people are huge now. We never had the Food Network back then, watch some of those shows, i.e. Paula Deen, who can't cook anything without a stick of butter and three cups of sugar. Shudder.

As for me, I had a desk job, sat virtually for 13 hours, and quit going to the gym due to lack of time. Now that I'm retired I'm trying to undo all those years and I must say I feel a thousand percent better.

EZMONEY
05-25-2010, 07:09 PM
....Now I want to know and I choose accordingly. And invariably, my choices changed by 180 degrees.

The very wise FRIEDGREEN speaks again....

all about choices kids....

make good ones :)

MissKoo
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
This doesn't have to do with weight . . .

I have watched Man v Food and I love watching him try to eat super spicy foods. I do have to say that it actually makes me sad to see people order gigantic servings and stuff themselves sick or leave tons of food on the plate because I'm thinking "how many people are going to bed hungry tonight?"

stella1609
05-26-2010, 09:32 AM
The guilt over "wasting" food has always bothered me--if I buy a meal and eat half of it, then I've contributed to the economy in EXACTLY the same way as someone who bought the meal and ate the whole thing. I'm not making people go hungry any more or less by eating or not eating food that I've purchased. I really believe the "clean your plate--there are starving kids in Africa" attitude has contributed to obesity in this country.

EZMONEY
05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I used to eat all of the food on my plate at restaurants AND anything the kids or Angie left...didn't have a weight problem back then....

once the weight came on and I started this journey of better choices I realized I could...

bring left-overs home....even if they weren't all that healthy at least I wasn't downing it all in one sitting

and I realized that Angie and I could split meals very easily...she doesn't eat that much so very easy for us to split 1 salad and 1 pizza/entree...we do that many times

Renwomin
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
People definitely have the right to eat what they want as as much as they want. They also have the right to drink to excess or smoke cigarettes.

I do think it is negligent for a restaurant to promote unhealthy overeating with their portions, themes, or contests. Do I believe they should be sued for it? Heck, no. We are responsible for what we put in our bodies. But promoting food and portions that contributes heavily to weight gain and poor health is contrary to human decency. I can understand the novelty of creating the "largest" food item, but instead of having contests to see if someone can stuff themselves sick why don't they market it as a family sized item that can feed four people?

I also would like to see calorie count placed on all menus. Again, people should be able to eat what they want, but the information should readily there to help them make better choices. I also would hope that restaurants would start being more conscious about offering healthier choices to people or making modifications to the calories in their food. I personally was living in denial about the amount of calories I would consume at restaurants. I would like to think armed with this information I would have made better choices. It is staggering the amount of additional calories that end up in restaurant items that even could/should be healthy. (Are they injecting everything with butter?)

synger
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM
From someone who works in food service, it is totally doable to make even fast food better for you. We use all fresh ingredients, don't use a lot of oils, use lean meats, smaller portions than most places. That being said, I often see people ordering 3,4,5 even 6 burgers or hotdogs here or two order of a side item, and often get complaints about the product being too small. I don't believe it is too small at all. We have been in business for 80 years now and the sizes are the same today as they were then. No complaints about the burger being too small in 1928. Interesting how our expectation as a consumer has changed. We believe everything we get should be huge, from cars to food portions.

I think this really hits the nail on the head.

The reason portions are so big nowadays? Customers demand it.

The reason restaurants have 'all you can eat' specials? Customers demand it.

But it's not all one way, either.

The reason you can almost always find a grilled chicken or fish option? Customers demand it.

The reason you can find a side veg that's not peas or coleslaw in most restaurants? Customers demand it.

The reason even fast food like McDonald's offers salad and grilled options? Customers demand it.

I think there is MORE option out there in restaurant-land, even among fast food dives, than there was 20 years ago. Some of it is huge, super-sized, fat-laden/carb-heavy JUNK. But much of it is healthier choices, because what we eat has become big business.

Serbrider
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't think I'll ever fully get used to portion sizes here in the US. I bought a diet soda on my way home from my horseback riding lesson last night. I bought a large... thinking it'd be around half a liter... because that's what the large drinks are in Serbia... nope... more like... add a liter to that amount. Around a liter and a half of soda. Good grief! I mean... no wonder people are becoming so obese... when portions are just HUGE. Even the SMALL drinks at Whataburger, McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, etc are at least half a liter. That's huge.

*sigh*

I miss Europe. :p

MissKoo
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
The guilt over "wasting" food has always bothered me--if I buy a meal and eat half of it, then I've contributed to the economy in EXACTLY the same way as someone who bought the meal and ate the whole thing. I'm not making people go hungry any more or less by eating or not eating food that I've purchased. I really believe the "clean your plate--there are starving kids in Africa" attitude has contributed to obesity in this country.

Hi! I didn't actually mean that everyone "clean your plate" rather the sense of "take what you need and leave the rest." It is a personal choice. My parents didn't make us stay at the table to finish our plates but insisted we take one serving at a time instead of piling it up so all family members got a "go" at each dish. Second servings were okay after finishing the first.

It's the concept of sharing that my folks wanted to instill and that I wanted to share with my boys. Whether or not you finish all or half of what you ordered for lunch isn't my concern. AND I'm not saying that these shows are causing anything. However, watching the shows just reminds me that some have so much - more than they could ever want or need - and others have so little. Not a linear "this guy ate only half of his ten pound cheeseburger so this kid is hungry."

Anyway, I'm not trying to be "right" just explain what I meant! Just my opinion.

stella1609
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Anyway, I'm not trying to be "right" just explain what I meant! Just my opinion.

Wasn't targeting you directly at all--your post just made me think of that :) I understand where you're coming from!

Petite Powerhouse
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
You should watch Man Versus Food lol

This ^. I saw that show for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was horrified.

I personally don't even find the foods he likes appealing in moderation. I have always preferred the leaner cuts of meat, for example—the ones he mocks on his show as he cuts into meat with huge ripples of fat throughout. We just have very different palates.

But the show does draw me in, that's certain. My BF and I watched three episodes back to back on On Demand because we were so amazed.

candlechick
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I just wanted a report this week by Katie Couric on our overweight society. Bob Evans serves at stuffed pancake breakfast, with carmelt, whipped cream registering in at 1860 calories... and that's just breakfast.

Another top noted chain of high calorie foods,,, 5 guys hamburgers... One of their burgers amounts to 2-Big Mac's at Mcdonalds....

Definately some "food" for thought as to what you're ordering. I'm so glad Restaurants need to supply calorie intake on their menu's.. that's been a long time coming.

Tomato
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
The very wise FRIEDGREEN speaks again....

all about choices kids....

make good ones :)

LOL, Gary.
We are, after all, Homo sapiens. Even though some people do their best to defy it. :D

Jacquie668
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
This ^. I saw that show for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was horrified.

I personally don't even find the foods he likes appealing in moderation. I have always preferred the leaner cuts of meat, for example—the ones he mocks on his show as he cuts into meat with huge ripples of fat throughout. We just have very different palates.

But the show does draw me in, that's certain. My BF and I watched three episodes back to back on On Demand because we were so amazed.

haha yeah see I love it, yet I'm grossed out most of the time because I do not eat meat or cheese and most of it is meat and cheese lol. The things that people eat...it does amaze me. There was this one episode with this weird fried chicken, mac and cheese, gravy...sandwich thing and I thought "ewwwwww"

I do love the spicy challenges like the Four Hourseman Challenge, now THAT was hilarious! Little burger BIG SPICE! lol

As for portion sizes out there in the normal food world...they do shock me. Order pasta you get enough to feed a family of four, yet I know people who can eat it all. I personally get bored when there is THAT much food.

I do love fries though, that seems to be a big comfort item for me and onion rings...and chocolate, but not together.