Weight Loss Support - I hate you TOM - managing cravings?

ncuneo
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
It's PMS week and I've been seriously struggling with cravings and that bottomless pit called my tummy. Every other week during the month it's completely managable and most of the time I don't give cravings a second thought and I'm completely satisfied with my food plan. But the week before TOM I have ridiculous cravings, I'm extra stressed out and I can't eat enough. Usually I just grin and bear it, but occassionally I slip. Is there anything we can do during this time to help with these issues? I'm at the point I'm ready to start meditating or something.

SCraver
05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
You can try to make healthier versions of what you are craving. ex. Make your own pizza with a pita and fresh veggies. Try to snack on veggies to help that bottomless pit feeling. If you crave chocolate - I find a small piece of realy dark chocolate (like 80% cacao from Lindt) is AWSOME. B/c the flavor is so strong, just a little piece helps satisfy my craving. Or maybe it would be easier to plan an extra snack for each day of PMS. Exercise helps me, too.

mkendrick
05-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I've never been a coffee or soda drinker, but I've discovered that caffeine really lowers my appetite for a few hours. I drink froo froo coffee when I do drink it, so it's more appealing to my sweet tooth. If you're a regular black coffee drinker, this might not be as satisfying. But I use Foldgers Gourmet Chocolate Truffle coffee and add either caramel sugarfree Coffeemate powder or a Splenda mocha packet. And add milk. With the milk, it's around 25-50cal depending on if I use Splenda or Coffeemate.

For some reason that caffeine, the coffee drinking ritual, and the sweet taste really helps me through TOM cravings.

abreezies
05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I agree with SCraver........I have learned to make healthier versons of the things I crave and to find alternatives for my chocolate cravings. I have this exact same thing happen to me during right before and during the first part of TOM. I tend to crave all the things I should eat in moderation (mostly, chocolate, sugar and carbs).....lol.

Suzyszoo
05-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I too am having insane PMS craving. And seemingly little self control this month. I wonder, since on Sunday I took my daughter to the movies, and we had a girls night of pizza and ice cream (albeit skinny cow ice cream and only two small pieces of pizza) if this somehow kick started this craving fest.

I feel huge, bloated, crampy, crabby...just lovely...;)

sweetnlow28
05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
No advice here but I can sooo relate!! I never even used to notice the cravings until I started listening to my body more. I am going to try the splenda flavors in my tea mkendrick ;) It may be just enough to get me through the sugar cravings. I find my main enemy is fat and salt during that time. Every pizza or burger commercial makes me feel like smashing the TV LOL