Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Getting into yoga...DVD's?

Hey all,

I'd like to start doing yoga. Not even really for exercise, but I think it'd be a nice addition to my morning and maybe evening routine to do a 15-min yoga session. I do not stretch my muscles nearly enough, and I think yoga would be good for that, good for balance, and good for meditation/stress relief.

I have taken a yoga class before, so I'm not a complete newbie. I'd have to refamiliarize myself with it all, but I know the concept of the Core, the breathing, and some of the poses, etc. I don't have the full membership at the gym to participate in the classes, so I can't take actual classes right now (although, it's not out of the question to sneak into a few, they don't ID check and I've gone to various classes before). I have the Wii Fit Plus, and I've done that yoga, but somehow the Wii Fit experience doesn't really offer the fluid yoga session that I'm wanting. Even when I string the activities together, I find that I'm having to deal with the Wii Fit too much to concentrate on relaxation/meditation.

Are there any good DVDs that you've tried for beginner yoga? Again, I'm not looking to become a master yogi or anything, I just want to have 10-20min of routine relaxing stretching.

ETA: I just looked at Amazon and noticed that there are several "Yoga for weight loss" and stuff. Even Jillian Michaels has yoga. That's awesome and all, but I'm really looking for the ambiance of the yoga experience. The flowery voice and nature sounds and meditation music and stuff, haha.

Last edited by mkendrick; 05-24-2010 at 07:59 AM.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yoga journal has a lot of free 20 minute podcasts. http://www.yogajournal.com/podcast/ The instruction is great and they have a variety of classes. i love the evening one to wind down with.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #3  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Check your tv lineup--if you have either FitTv or ExerciseTv you can find yoga programing. I have FitTv and they have several options for yoga with new routines playing daily in some cases. I particularly like Namaste Yoga and Shiva Rea Daily Energy. There's one other one that I DO NOT like...I don't remember the name of it, but it's one girl dressed all in white and the back ground is whited out.
Anyway, it's a pretty good resource. As for dvds, I'd go with anything Rodney Yee.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

Height: 5'4

I just worked out with FitTV's Namaste Yoga and it was enjoyable. I felt really great afterwards.

I just got a Yoga for beginner's DVD from Gaiam and it's a nice touch. The woman doing it is a bit strange but it is relaxing.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I really enjoy Rodney Yee's videos. .
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I really enjoy Rodney Yee's videos. .
Ditto, and he's great eye candy too
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #7  

I don't like exercise but i do like yoga and I can tell it tones up mybody If i stick with it.
jumphigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I really love Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti. I do the Basic flow workout most nights, and it has this really cool feature where you can create your own flow. Some of the sequences and poses are definitely more advanced, but the basic flow is really mellow and wonderful.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #9  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I second Yoga Journal's iTunes podcasts, these are great. Be sure to download the PDF files that correspond with the workouts, the workouts I have tried are audio only and sometimes I get confused about the names/poses, especially if Jason only uses the sanskrit name.

Also second Rodney Yee. AM Yoga for Your Week is very good with 5 20min workouts. Great scenery and he has some interesting discriptions to help with body alignment. If you are more of a beginner, this might be the better choice clip can be seen here http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...odney-yee-5567 There is also Yoga for Beginner's but I don't have that one. clip here http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...beginners-5677. I"ve seen these workouts at Target for less.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote