Weight Loss Support - I don't know what's going on!

View Full Version : I don't know what's going on!

Raichu
05-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi guys, long time no see!

I returned from Europe to find out my scale was off by 6 pounds and I was actually 217... which is fine with me, because I still lost 24 pounds! Yippee!!

I've started working out every day - between 30 and 40 minutes on an elliptical trainer as well as sometimes walking in the evening. I follow a 14-1600 calorie diet. So I weighed myself when I got home - 217 with 48% body fat...

and I stepped on the scale today sure I'd see some great results after 2 weeks of this - and instead I see 219 with 47% body fat!

Does this mean I gained a couple of pounds of muscle? I don't know what happened here! All I know is I have less body fat and more pounds.

I'll be back here every day because I'm aiming for 199 by August, and I need that inspiration you guys provide :D Thanks for your help!

sweetnlow28
05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
That is great! In my experience, I don't find the body fat analyzer on a scale to be very accurate. I believe it has a lot to do with how hydrated you are at the time and how long ago you exercised. I would go with the lower body fat % number and stick with that. I bet you will be at your mini goal by August ;)

MissKelly
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
47% body fat for your h/w sounds obscenely inaccurate. So I had to check it out.

Via the regular BMI calculator on bmicalculator.com, your h/w shows as:

Your BMI is: 38.8
You are in the SEVERELY OBESE weight range.
Goal Setting Recommendation: To move to the next weight range you need to weigh 197 pounds to be in the MODERATELY OBESE weight range.

There. You just lost 10%, which sounds much more in the right range. :)

Keep up the great work! :carrot:

ncuneo
05-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Don't stress about the body fat calculator. My literally changes daily, up and down. The are very inaccurate. As for the gain, it's probably just a natural fluctuation assuming you've been honest about your intake and extra cals haven't been sneaking in.

Arctic Mama
05-24-2010, 01:30 AM
47% body fat for your h/w sounds obscenely inaccurate. So I had to check it out.

Via the regular BMI calculator on bmicalculator.com, your h/w shows as:

Your BMI is: 38.8
You are in the SEVERELY OBESE weight range.
Goal Setting Recommendation: To move to the next weight range you need to weigh 197 pounds to be in the MODERATELY OBESE weight range.

There. You just lost 10%, which sounds much more in the right range. :)

Keep up the great work! :carrot:

Um, you do realize that BMI versus body fat percentage are different measurements, right? It's apples to oranges.

MissKelly
05-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Um, you do realize that BMI versus body fat percentage are different measurements, right? It's apples to oranges.

No, I actually did not know that. Instead of responding to me like I am positively dense, perhaps you can be kind and understanding enough educate me on what that difference is. :smug:

TornadoSiren
05-24-2010, 09:06 AM
I can fully understand the misunderstanding, as a scale could easily give one their BMI, if you input height and weight, as this is a very standard calculation. I am VERY distrustful of scales that give body fat percentage though. This calculation is far from standard. I never fully understood the voodoo behind that. I have enough problems dealing with the weight on mine, I dont want it throwing other numbers at me.

I'm jumping on the google bandwagon on this one too though. Can find most any user manual on there!

tamifc
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't really worry about the body fat percentage, those scales are usually not accurate. The 219 could be that you gained muscle, a good way to check if you lost weight without relying on a scale is using a measure tape to see if you lost inches. Keep up the hard work though, and I'm sure you'll reach you August goal.

Have a great week!!