Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default Beginner, is this enough?

I have been doing cardio since November along with minimal strength training. My workout videos (Leslie Sansone) incorporate tension bands and belts along with 2-3 pound hand weights. I feel like I am ready to become more serious about toning up now. I have a goal to start looking better around my mid section and arms by July 20 when I will be wearing my bathing suit in public. I am realistic about my goals. I know I won't be ready for a bikini or anything LOL

I only have tension bands (one light and one heavier) two pound ball weights and three pound dumbbell weights as well as a yoga mat. I am honestly not sure where to start and what to work up to. I have been doing a 20 minute Leslie Sansone toning video (fast firming) where she does lunges, some sit ups and various arm and leg toning exercises with a tension band. I did it last night and I am very sore so it must be working. My legs still kind of feel weak, like spaghetti today. If I do this video three times per week, is this enough? Can I get good results only using tension bands or do I need more equipment? We are on a tight budget so a gym is out of the question right now. I am also wondering if I will see any changes at all to my stomach in two months because I still have a good sized muffin top. My stomach has always been my problem area and I am very self conscious about it. This is the reason I decided to start the strength training so eventually the muffin top with diminish, hopefully when I lose more fat.

Thanks for any help for a beginner.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, look here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...d-workout.html

You have to begin where you are! If you like it and it's causing muscle fatigue ... go for it. When it gets easy ... we'll think of somethng else.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I had a gym membership when I was at school, but I'm back at home now and I do all my workouts with 5lb or 8lb dumbbells using dvds. I also run a fair amount.

Personally, I think bodyweight training is where it's at. Push ups, squats, lunges, plank, you can't go wrong. You might wanna invest in a couple more sets of dumbbells (maybe a 5lb and an 8lb) and then you can increase the weights when you feel ready. And maybe look into some new weight training dvds that'll give you some ways to spice up your routine a little. You can look on amazon (or even around this) for reviews on different ones and that way you'll get some instruction when you're just starting out. Books are also a good option.

Variety is also important so don't be afraid to push yourself in areas or try a different variation on an exercise. The only time you'll run into trouble is if you keep doing the same thing over and over again and not challenging yourself. Because you're not at a gym you can't increase the weights the same way. Resistance bands are also a great tool. You can probably google exercises for those.

There are so many benefits to weight training that will help you reduce your overall body fat and that's the only way to shrink your tummy. You can't spot reduce. Unfortunately.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

If u don't fancy buying dumbells there is a home made solution. Get two 8 pint milk cartons. And fill with mud/sand/gravel etc until they reach the desired weight. Use until they get to light then add more weight when they get full then ts time to buy some.

Just a little money saving tip
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote