Weight Loss Support - Drowning in egg yolks! HELP!

View Full Version : Drowning in egg yolks! HELP!

TornadoSiren
05-20-2010, 01:55 PM
This seems really silly, but honestly..I feel guilty throwing away egg yolks. Does anyone have any suggestions of something to do with these little yellow mounds? Or do I just ignore the voice of my mother repeating in my head "you know, there are starving children in Asia who would kill for that egg yolk", and toss it into the bin?

tea2
05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Can you buy just the egg whites in cartons and a smaller number of eggs? Use one yolk and a bunch of egg whites from the carton. Or just buy the carton of egg whites if you don't want the yolks at all.

TornadoSiren
05-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I had considered the egg white thing, but number one, they are a lot more expensive and I have a budget to be concerned about, and I am always dubious of the freshness of precracked eggs.

prepping
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
My first thought is why are you not eating them? Watching cholesterol? watching fat/calories?

I personally never toss the egg yolks. They're factored into my diet and there's a lot of good stuff in the whole egg. I'd rather eat one or two eggs vs. 5 egg whites and you get a lot more protein and nutrients that way. In fact, my nutritionist recommended that I bump up my current eating plan with at least 3-6 whole eggs per day.

PeanutsMom704
05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I like my egg whites hardboiled, and I toss a lot of cooked yolks (which look pretty weird! lol!)

The only thing I know to do with them is make devilled eggs, which I do whenever I have a brunch to go to. But that's usually just once or twice a month, so usually, out they go.

Better in the trash than the extra calories I don't need to eat, right?

TornadoSiren
05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
It is not as bad as all that..when I do eggs for breakfast, I have one whole egg, and one egg white, so its only one yolk per day. One egg is not quite enough to remove the peckish, and I prefer to not have the extra from that extra yolk. I just do wish there were something I could do with them. I mean, there are many things I can make with egg yolks..I could make a mean creme brulee and then give it to skinny neighbors? :D I just do hate being wasteful.

sotypical
05-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm. I dunno if egg whites are more expensive. I buy mine at Costco, I get a 3 cartons for less then $6 (can). I believe 1 carton is 16 egg whites (someone please correct me if I am wrong.) So that is 48 egg whites.

1 carton of 12 eggs on sale is $2 (usually $3). Assuming $2 price, for $6 I would get 36 whole eggs.

Seems about the same as me. I eat both, I love eggs - especially the yolk!

Also, egg white cartons last a while - I go through a 2-3 cartons of eggs before I eat all my egg whites (the 3 pack). When I need to use them up I made a crustless quiche! Also in most of my baking I use egg whites - or if it calls for multiple eggs, I use one egg and the rest egg whites (from the carton of course).

WarMaiden
05-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I eat whole eggs and just factor them into my plan for the day. Generally I eat two whole eggs each day. Yum. Problem solved.

PeanutsMom704
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Hmmmm. I dunno if egg whites are more expensive. I buy mine at Costco, I get a 3 cartons for less then $6 (can). I believe 1 carton is 16 egg whites (someone please correct me if I am wrong.) So that is 48 egg whites.

1 carton of 12 eggs on sale is $2 (usually $3). Assuming $2 price, for $6 I would get 36 whole eggs.

I paid $1.47 per carton of 18 eggs at Costco last weekend. Obviously, pricing varies by location but less processed food is almost always less expensive.

nitenurse
05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
why arent you eating them? If you choose not to you can mix them in to use as pet food if you have one

BluCypressLily
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I use mine for a masque. I know it sounds gross, but it does wonders for my skin.

ennay
05-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I toss mine (I use 3 whites + 1 whole egg per day). There is little point in saving them to use in something else unless you were making that something else anyway.

Buying eggwhites just means the factory is throwing them away instead of me. It isnt less wasteful.

I buy 5 dozen eggs at costco. I dont remember how much but it is WAY cheaper than eggwhites. Besides all of the "100% eggwhites" I have ever seen contain eggwhites plus a bunch of "stabilizers"

therex
05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I use mine for a masque. I know it sounds gross, but it does wonders for my skin.

i second this. make a paste with organic sugar, apply. wait 15 min and whala! gorgeous.

SouthLake
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Do you have pets? My dog and cats loooooove them some egg yolk. If you take an egg out of the fridge Lucy wags her tail and spins around the kitchen like it's Christmas. It keeps her coat very shiny.

sotypical
05-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Buying eggwhites just means the factory is throwing them away instead of me. It isnt less wasteful.

I would like to think that the factory makes something else with them. Like Hollandaise sauce or something.

bandit2
05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Can also be used for a hair treatment. Liquify yolk and add to wet hair & leave on for 15 minutes then wash & condition as usual. Everything in yolk is great for your hair.

Onederchic
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I eat whole eggs and just factor them into my plan for the day. Generally I eat two whole eggs each day. Yum. Problem solved.

LOL me too :D

ennay
05-20-2010, 04:31 PM

For you. Not for the original poster. If eating whole eggs is not in her plan then it is not in her plan. The question was not "should I eat whole eggs"

There are a lot of healthy foods out there that others may not eat that I do and vice versa. Something has to give.

Regardless, because this very specific question is really a much more generic issue that many of us have to deal with in one form or another. For some of us it is a major issue to weight loss. The question translates as:

I feel guilty wasting food.

To which the answer really becomes "what is waste?" Which is a bigger waste, throwing an egg yolk (or 3 bites of mac n cheese or the last slice of pizza or the cube of avocado that wont keep or the last 5 nuts in the package...) in the trash or eating something you dont particularly need or even want just to keep from throwing it in the trash.

Sure, if you can find an alternate use that doesnt involve taking an egg yolk and adding cream and sugar to make creme brulee, great! Hair masque, dog food. I've done the hair thing from time to time, but that is only a % of the eggs I toss.

I read it and watching my family I believe it.

The ability to throw away edible food may be the # 1 indicator of long term weight loss success.

I've watched my mom eat an extra 300 calories easily at dinner because there was one bite of creamed spinach and one little taste of chicken and nothing was "enough to save for another meal" I've done it too. I was raised to see throwing away food as a sin. (considering the hippie heathen nature of my upbringing, perhaps the ONLY sin :D) Overcoming that is freeing.

So take the egg yolks and with great joy and permission throw them away and free yourself.

ubergirl
05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
not that I'm recommending baking, but the Joy of Cooking Gold Medal cake takes 3 egg yolks.

I don't bake much, but that cake is an easy winner (to take places and give away-- of course!)

PeanutsMom704
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
The ability to throw away edible food may be the # 1 indicator of long term weight loss success.

ennay -

Thanks for that post. I've been trying to internalize the message that it's ok to throw out food when it can't be saved and I don't want/need to eat it. It's great to see it put in that perspective.

Shytowngal
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Just an FYI, this is what Egg Beaters does with their yolks from their FAQ:

ConAgra Foods purchases pasteurized egg whites only. The supplier of these egg whites sells the yolks to other food and manufacturing companies for a variety of uses.

Tomato
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Similar here. I hate to read that people throw the yolk away, so many good nutrients in it! If I was of that mindset (that for whatever strange reason I don't yolks) I would definitely buy liquid egg whites. The waste would bother me.
Can't you freeze the yolks and use them in soups/something else?

BluCypressLily
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
I second this one--great for the hair...the only trick is to not rinse in too hot of water (I did that once and the yolks "cooked" in my hair :) )

Can also be used for a hair treatment. Liquify yolk and add to wet hair & leave on for 15 minutes then wash & condition as usual. Everything in yolk is great for your hair.

srmb60
05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Find a friend or neighbour who is eating Primal Blueprint fashion. They'll eat'em!

ledom
05-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I have gone back and forth on this, but really, I would rather not eat them because of the added calories. My biggest problem is how to dispose of them without creating a stinky mess. I also eat a lot of lf cottage cheese so now I save those cartons to put the yolks in and throw them away in the trash.

fivestone
05-20-2010, 07:42 PM
As regards the waste issue, I just remind myself that everything eventually goes to waste anyway... either in the trashcan, or my body will take care of it. Only, why make extra work for my body?

As per the egg yolks, how about composting? Do you garden at all? Compost makes good fertiliyer.

ledom
05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey I do compost, but didn't think I should put protein (egg yolk) in the compost. I don't know why I thought that - perhaps because you don't put meat in compost? hmmmm - I guess I'm not convinced, but on the other hand - do you put yours in the compost?

ETA: Just googled it and yes, it should be okay.

fivestone
05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey I do compost, but didn't think I should put protein (egg yolk) in the compost. I don't know why I thought that - perhaps because you don't put meat in compost? hmmmm - I guess I'm not convinced, but on the other hand - do you put yours in the compost?

ETA: Just googled it and yes, it should be okay.

Yay! I eat my yolks (hard-boiled eggs are one of my staple foods these days), but if I didn't, I'd throw them into the compost bin.

I hope that works out for you as a solution! :)

ohlove
05-20-2010, 09:23 PM
I can respect being on a budget since I've been a poor college student for years, and eating healthier is definitely more expensive (not that I miss ramen noodles or party pizzas). I'm a big fan of egg beaters. I get the original which is 30 calories, 0g fat, 115mg sodium, and no cholesterol for the equivalent of one egg. I don't have to mess with getting rid of yolks, they're filling, and a 32oz carton has 16 servings. Even eating two (eggs) servings a day, the carton would still last me a week. For me, it's worth the investment. I've never bought just the egg whites version, so I don't know how much more expensive it would be.