100 lb. Club - Do you "hold your stomach in?"

View Full Version : Do you "hold your stomach in?"

TXMary2
05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Does anyone hold their stomach in? As I sit here I am tightening that lower stomach muscle. I try to sit like that for as long as possible. I do it while I am driving, laying on the couch and sometimes while walking. It's becoming a habit. I know because I have a stomach apron and all this fat that hasn't melted yet that realistically I am not sucking my stomach in, I am just focusing on that muscle for some reason. Just curious if anyone else does that.

BTW, back when I was in shape and exercising regularly - I had a FLAT stomach and I did this all the time. I don't know how close I can get to that because it was 14-15 years ago, but I am doing my best!

MyChoice2bfit
05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't..but I think I will start...it couldn't hurt...it will engage the core, and when you hold your stomach in you stand and sit straighter which is good posture and makes you look thinner...so I think it's a win-win all the way around!

Thanks for the idea!

JustBeckyV
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I do lol but that's cuz I still have too much extra there and I hate the way it looks!

ALEKS
05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
I've done this my WHOLE life at every weight..and I have no clue why! It's almost like my stomach is engaged at ALL times... it's so second nature now, that I don't realize I'm doing it...if I just let it all hang loose..it feels SOOO weird and wrong! lol

ubergirl
05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Ha! That would be a full-time job for me. So, no.

rakel
05-20-2010, 12:55 PM
No, but I probably should.

InControl2Day
05-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I've done this my WHOLE life at every weight..and I have no clue why! It's almost like my stomach is engaged at ALL times... it's so second nature now, that I don't realize I'm doing it...if I just let it all hang loose..it feels SOOO weird and wrong! lol

Sounds exactly like me. My aunt and mother actually told me to do this starting at the age of 13-14... telling me I would look slimmer so now it's normal and involuntary. Letting my stomach out feels super weird.
:D

TaraLee
05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I used to. I dont anymore. In fact I tried it a few times after reading your post and I find it uncomfortable and I can't hold it for long... so maybe I'll start trying again.

happyveggie
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
i do it all the time! especially when i'm walking, i find that it helps in my posture, which by default good posture means looking slimmer :) i have found out from years of playing tennis (i was the captain of my varsity high school team back when i was in shape), that sucking in my stomach actually works out my abs, like it feels like when i have it sucked in while playing or jogging/running, it feels like the equivalent of some crunches. it really does work out my abs!

Jokan
05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Yep, my daddy told me when I was way younger to "Suck that gut in". Oh, it hurt my feelings sooo bad but at this age I could thank him for it because it is one good habit I have!!

birdtostone
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
I used to do it all the time. It became habit because I was self conscious and all that jazz. I stopped doing it eventually, but every now and then I'll do it again and I can still hold it and almost forget about it.

findingfawn
05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I think I heard one time that holding in your stomach muscles as tight as you can for 10 seconds, and then releasing them for 3 and repeating was the same as doing a crunch.

I do hold my stomach in a lot, I sure don't think anyone else notices because I still have my lovely apron and jelly rolls, but hey maybe someday they will all pay off ;)

mmiller2829
05-20-2010, 09:29 PM
Yep ALWAYS when I am walking. When I sit I seem to relax and plooop ploooop plooop out it comes. LOL

TXMary2
05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
LOL- glad to hear I am not the only one! I too feel like it works my abs.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
YES, I do this all the time while on my PC and I am getting better at it; when I was slimmer I could do mega situps ... maybe again some day. I do chair crunches while waiting for things to come up too; I think every bit helps ... :D

TamiL
05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
I hold my stomach in all the time, and with a little help from some friends.....spanx and flexees the job is so much easier, LOL

LitChick
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm one of those who's done it so long that it's become ingrained. :) I don't even think about it but sometimes when I hear someone say (usually at the gym) to hold in your stomach, I try doing the opposite and let it just hang out. It feels uncomfortable and I feel slouchy - not a good feeling so I suck it back in! :D

saef
05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I do during Pilates class, when the instructor starts talking about it. And sometimes when I'm standing around someplace, bored, I'll try it.

Of course I always end up doing it at least briefly while looking at myself in profile in a mirror. You know: Before, After. Before, After. Before, After.

TJFitnessDiva
05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't do it like I should...if I hold it for a while my scar tissue from my c-sections start feeling weird.

wendyland
05-21-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm always sucking it in. I loved being pregnant. It's the only time I ever felt relaxed about how I look. I always joke that I must have rock hard abs under this fat because I'm always tightening.

Nikki6kidsmom
05-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Yes I do this all the time. I notice it most when walking around not so much sitting.

Michelle98272
05-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I have lots of windows in my office that are like mirrors so I am constantly reminded to stand up straight, and suck it in. I have really lazy abs as I pretty much gave up years ago on being able to truly "suck it in" but when I am standing up, going from the file cabinet to the copier or down the hall into the HR office, I am standing tall and try to internally touch my belly button to my backbone.

When I do remember, it makes such a difference!! I can look 10 lbs lighter by doing this. I remember my old granny (verrry glamorous gal, model gorgeous in the 1940's, re-invented herself from a grubby poor girl from the projects in LA to Jane Mansfield-esque) telling me at 14 to stand up straight, suck in my belly and then tie a ribbon around my middle under my shirt. She told me any time I felt it too tight to remind myself to suck it in. LOL I never did that. I was naturally thin at 14 and never thought I'd be fat and out of shape.

Trazey34
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM
yes i do / did!! it made a difference i think, same with always standing up straight - i swear you can lose 10 lbs in looks just with good posture!

something i read once, and i've been doing it for a few years -- i think it really helped in the double-chin/jowls area, is at red lights, i press my tongue up against the roof of my mouth, it pulls up the fatty double chin area -- call me crazy but since i lost most of the weight my face looks awesome LOL

mready
05-21-2010, 03:33 PM
No, but I think it's time to start!

toastedsmoke
05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I do! My mom used to poke me in the back for good posture, and she always said holding in your stomach made you sit up straighter and it's true.

It's second nature and sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it till I run up the stairs and feel breathless and then consciously release my stomach and take a deep breath and then feel fine almost immediately.