Weight Loss Support - have many of you lost a lot of weight w/out doing the low carb thing?

mmkaa
09-19-2002, 08:29 PM
I just can't stick to the high protein low carb diets. I fail everytime. However, I get so discouraged that I won't be able to lose weight if I eat carbs. Have any of you that have reached success done it without giving up your carbs?

Thanks!!!

dollar
09-20-2002, 06:46 AM
Yes I have I lost 65.8 lbs with weight watchers since mid Feb this year. I did find at one point I wasn't eating enough things like bread because I was hungry after lunch. so I increased my bread at lunch and I was fine that happened for about two weeks. Other then that 2 week period I have never been hungry on this diet or felt denied. I have learned a whole new way of eating and I love how I feel and how I look. I still have about 40lbs to go. When I was young my mother put me on the low carb diet and I started getting pretty weird, crazy like and a friend of ours went the same way with the same diet, the doctor told us it was the imbalance of the diet. So I believe in a balanced diet of all the food groups. You can still lose wt and eat carbs. Good luck to you.

matt_H
09-20-2002, 04:10 PM
I don't want to offend anyone, but the I do think that the idea that "carbs make you fat" is a myth. Complex carbohydrates (especially whole grains) are essentual to a healthy diet. The Adkin's approach does horrible things to your body and may increase your risk for heart disease (although you lose weight).

There is a research database of successful "losers". People who lost significant weight and maintained it for several years. It turns out that successful losers were most likely to eat a low fat, high carbohydrate diet (with exercise, and other life changes). Please don't think that carbs are bad!

baby
09-21-2002, 02:22 PM
mmkaa,

I have lost 80 pounds including carbs in my diet. Of course I always made sure I did not go overboard eating the carbs. I cannot due without them because I love them and my body needs them anyway. What I do is, if I think I had a little too much I exercise a little more. It is all a matter of burning as much as you can of what you ate. :strong: because if you deprive youself too much of what you like you will eventually brake down and probably binge. But if you keep your body and your tastebuds happy it could be a lifetime commitment. ;)

Good Luck to you I hope we are of help to you.:lol:

welshbird
09-23-2002, 04:02 AM
hello mkaa

like monique, i just went for calorie counting and cut down on all fat! and that includes carbs! i couldnt go without them cos again like monique says, they keep you fuller for longer! by doing this i lost 34lbs. i dont know about your body but mine seems to get bored very easily on a diet and i stayed the same weight for two monthsbut bought a slimmers world club book and have gone and lost 3lb, which is better than none. at least im losing again. this diet also includes alot of carbs and is all about food optimising, which means the foods fight together in the body so that you lose weight. its a diet id recommend to ne 1 cos you honestly never go hungry!! keep goin and good luck to every1

welsh

JanetMae
09-23-2002, 03:45 PM
Dollar, monique, Rebel, and welsh, congrats on your losses!
Matt, I agree with you 100%. Complex carbs definitely have a place in a balanced diet.
mmkaa, I'm in that database that Matt mentioned, having lost 100 pounds and maintained the loss. (Size 24 to 8/10) Followed the Weight Watchers plan, which is more a lifestyle than a diet, and began exercising every day. I include protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats (salmon, nuts, olive oil) in moderation, and rarely have sugary or fried foods. (Don't miss 'em, either. But ... I won't give up wine just yet!)

Other than the WW plan, have found terrific info and inspiration in these 3 books:
Volumetrics, by Barbara Rolls (the food angle; eat more to lose)
Thin for Life, by Anne M. Fletcher, (psychological/lifestyle inspiration; it can be done!)
Fit or Fat? [/b]by Covert Bailey (will blow your mind ... no wonder I was so heavy!)

Wish I'd read these books years ago.
Hope that helps! Good luck to you! Believe in yourself, and you WILL make it!
Regards,
Jan

AnnieNYC
10-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Hey I am on Weight Watchers, as of October 1st, I have lost 84.6 pounds on the program since February 27. I did not cut out carbs, i didnt even pay attention to them...and I highly recommend weight watchers.

ciao bella!

Sojourner
10-03-2002, 12:37 PM
I have to admit I am a little suspicious of the low carb diets... it seems the only ones promoting these types of diets are those trying to sell their programs. I only hear bad things about it from nutirionists and doctors. I believe the low carb programs do work... but at what expense to your body and health? It certainly wouldn't hurt to cut back on the bread and refined sugars though... but it would seem that complex carbs play a critical role in a healthy lifestyle. Plus eating meat has been tied to countless health problems.

Bottom line is reduce the number of calories you eat and start exercising. That is what I've been doing for the last month and I'm thrilled to be down six pounds. :)

HappyHousewife
10-04-2002, 12:19 PM
I've lost about 30 pounds. Most of what I eat are carbs. Lots of fruit and t.v. dinners. I know that may not be the best way to eat.. but it's better than the fast food and candy that got me where I was!!! :( Your body needs carbs, I think. I feel great because I've lost a little weight..

Keep your chin up. Exercise is most important in my opinion. :)

tropicalfreeze
10-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Hey everyone:wave:
I think you should do what works best for you caus not every one is alike. I tried atkins i didn't lose a lb. got sick, the Dr. told me that I couldn' digest all the protein. I tried other diets with very little success. The Dr. put me on a low carb diet because I was having trouble with my glucose level running high. On this plan he told me to just remember don't eat anything white. He told me that I could either go on the diabetic diet or sugar busters, and I did and I lost 35lbs. You just need to stay away for refine sugars not complex carbs. My sister couldn't do this diet, she did better on WW. You just have to find what works best for you. Just wanted to express my opinion. Thanks for listening.
tropicalfreeze
(tf)

Earthy
10-06-2002, 07:19 PM
I have high cholesterol, so I can't eat low carb., and my husband is a diabetic type 2, both are doctor's don't want us on any Atkin or Suzanne Somers diet. They all said WW is better. I'm going by the ADA diabetic exchange. More like counting calories but balancing the food groups. :listen: Do what is best for you and with your doctor approval.
Healthy and Strong! :strong:

Suzanne 3FC
10-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Many of the experts insist that low-carb is only for people that have certain health conditions, such as insulin resistance. For the rest of us, we need our carbs.

I put a list of quotes from reputable sources on our "low carb rebuttal" page at http://www.3fatchicks.com/lowcarb/archives/cat_low_carb_rebuttal.php if anyone is interested in reading it.

I personally don't do well with low-carb. I can't stick to it, and the one time I did stick to a low-carb high protein diet, I gained 5 lbs in a week. So it's not for everyone.

Sister Jennifer, however, needs low carb.

New Body In Bama
10-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Lowering my carbs has been the only thing that has worked for me - but i wouldn't consider it "low-Carb" - i think of as "lowering my carbs and adding more protein". I get to have 150 Carb grams a day. I think if you lower your carbs too much - you will "crash and burn". I have lost 45 pounds since April doing this. THe protein was my problem - i never used to get enough Protein (Protein helps speed up the metabolism) - i am new to the message board tonight - you might want to read my first post about my success. -----

CreativeDame
10-08-2002, 07:16 PM
I like Weight Watchers. I'd never cut out carbs...I'd never cut out ANYTHING and that's what cool about WW and makes it something that one can do forever. One week I gained .6th of a pound and I looked back that week and saw that I ate a lot of sandwiches that week compared to the week before, so the next week I cut down on breads but still ate carbohydrates and I had a good loss the next week. It all depends on the person. After a while, you can tell what foods you should cut down on, etc.

CD

angieME
10-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Sadly, I have gained half of it back in the last year. But I ate rolls and spaghetti on a daily basis to lose the weight. I just exercised alot(I did 1 1/2 hours everyday 7 days a week)Luckily I found this websight with all of these nice people and I will lose it again.:dizzy:

Sweater Girl
10-13-2002, 10:23 AM
I think part of the reason carbs get a bad name is because people eat too much of them at once. A portion of pasta is fairly small and well, I used to have about 4-5 cups of pasta in one sitting (or people having two sandwiches instead of one kinda thing). I think there is a lot of validity in reducing refined carbs, but not much in reducing carbs in general.

Although I lost on weight watchers at times I don't think I ate enough protien, it does keep one full longer and helps with repairing muscle.

I think the key to any way of eating is to keep things in moderation. I am trying to keep a 50 carbs/25 Protien/25 Fat split and see how that goes.

To answer you question though, yes I did lose weight w/o using Low-carb and so did my mom (she lost 138lbs!)

Just my two cents!

Ali

margie1
10-13-2002, 08:27 PM
I am a weight watchers fan! The points system allows you to eat anything you want, in moderation, and it still encourages you to get in your veggies and fruits. I tried the protein diets and they just made me tired and have headaches. The ww points is something I can live with!

Wishing
11-10-2002, 07:47 PM
I'm seriously considering switching from lo carb to
ww again. I have been on locarb since March and have lostonly 7 pounds. Somehtng is wrong! For one thing i cheat all the time> I just miss my carbs!

RunDaveRun
11-11-2002, 04:04 PM
I have lost almost 50 lbs. by counting calories (and protein). My secret, I keep a Food Journal in a 3x5 spiral notebook. One page for every day, writing down EVERYTHING - good, bad or ugly! I looked up my calorie threshold and stay under it daily. I also exercise regularly, as in 5-6 days a week. I have hit several plateaus, but I just try to focus on the big (small!) picture and stay motivated. If I can do, ANY one can do it!!!

Rusty*Rusty
11-12-2002, 11:05 AM
The funny thing to me was when I was looking thru the web at diet plans I saw SugarBusters and thought - cool! It sounded like the perfect diet for me - being a pasta/bread/potato fan. I assumed it was all about getting reasonable amounts of starchy foods INTO your diet - so you don't feel deprived. Wrong. LOL

After all my research - I did what is best - limit my calories - limit my fats - limit refined sugar - and eat fiber to fill up. I eat lots of fruit and veggies, can have my bread - multi-grain, eat pasta (4 oz) with tons of veggies in the sauce - limit my meat portions - use egg whites instead of whole eggs - switched to oilive oil and no-cal sprays - drink lots of water.

Twenty pounds down and falling! :) As long as I keep a tally going (I use caloriefreak.com) of my calories - I can spend them any way I want and lose weight. I even save up a couple light days for a thin crust cheese pizza on Friday nights.

Lunula
12-17-2002, 04:31 PM
A few years ago, I lost 40 pounds doing WW... yes, I gained it all back - BUT, I tried the low-carb approach a few months back and I'll never do it again. I lost a few pounds, but within a month my period was very odd... lasting for weeks at a time (not fun) & was completely unpredictable. And then my hair started falling out (not just a little, either). On top of that, my stomach hurt a lot of the time... I think it was just too much protein for me to digest.

This time I'm doing it right... cutting out most refined carbs (all the white stuff!), closely monitoring what I eat (making sure to get all my nutrients) and exercising every day. So far, I'm down 10 pounds and I have no doubt I can keep it up - I feel great.

I no longer believe in diets that tell you to completely eliminate huge groups of food are healthy... cause I felt horrible & had the toughest time giving SO much up, lol. On top of that, I gained back even MORE weight after I quit doing low-carb - and fast. :(

CreativeDame
12-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Since September, I lost 20 pounds and going...I have hardly changed my eating style. I eat lots of "bad" stuff, but my portions are much more limited because I physically can't eat as much as I used to. But I eat Chinese once a week, etc...

I do 80 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week. That is what is doing it. Even weeks when I eat really crappy, I still lose around a pound or two a week. I guess my metabolism is going strong.

CD

Keltic_Gypsy
12-18-2002, 11:31 PM
I have lost about 50lbs on WW, and even though I have slipped from the plan, I'm rejoining tomorrow, so I'd have to say I'm a huge WW fan too.

Chelle77
12-19-2002, 09:09 PM
I lost 70lbs by counting calories and exercising. I've slipped and regained 30lbs, but I know that what I did works and I'm going to do it again.

SaraCrewe
12-19-2002, 10:18 PM
ABSOLUTELY you can lose weight by eating carbs. You NEED carbs; they are one of three essential macronutrients. That low-carb stuff is just another example of a calorie-reduction diet. You can eat anything and lose weight, as long as you keep calories low, as these high-protein diets force you to do.

Every athlete knows that carbs are vital to strength, energy, and success.

Maybe people are uncertain because 'carbs' begets the tainted idea of junk food and desserts, when the most healthiest of foods--veggies/fruits/grains/etc. are carbs. Listen to your body; that's the only way to truly succeed!

Blueskies
12-26-2002, 01:14 AM
It's great to know that many of you succeeded without cutting out carbs. I've been struggling with this weight loss thing for a while and recently I was very tempted to try the low-carb diet, although I've always seen it as unhealthy. So I'm gonna keep eating whole grains and concentrate on cutting the sugar instead.

willbethin
12-27-2002, 09:25 AM
i want to thank everyone who responded and who thought to ask this question, i am so happy to hear we can succeed and still eat healthy carbs, i love them and am not much of a meat eater. so i wont ever go on the lowcard plans again. besides i love cheese and on the low carb plans i thought it gave me a green light to eat all the cheese i wanted. that is not good. i am learning to limit my cheese and still have it as well as carbs. thanks again guys and congrats to all who lost.

Runs in Harmony
02-11-2003, 07:38 PM
I have lost 72 pounds just cutting back on the things I love to eat. And I LOVE CARBS. I try not to eat too many, but I can not eat low carb. I exercise everyday.:strong: :strong: :strong:

YOU CAN DO IT! I KNOW YOU CAN.

Autumn S
02-13-2003, 09:41 AM
I cannot live without my carbs:D I have pcos too but with my glucophage I am losing weight at a very good rate. I have lost 70lbs. I still have a ways to go but I can see it in the horizon now;)

I hardly ever eat meat so it would be next to impossible for me to stay on a low carb diet. I eat nuts, cheese, peanut butter and protein drinks for my daily protein needs.

VermontMom
03-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Sweater Girl
I think part of the reason carbs get a bad name is because people eat too much of them at once. A portion of pasta is fairly small and well, I used to have about 4-5 cups of pasta in one sitting (or people having two sandwiches instead of one kinda thing). I think there is a lot of validity in reducing refined carbs, but not much in reducing carbs in general... Ali

I agree with this absolutely, Ali.

I have lost 31 pounds by counting calories, and exercising. And, of course, with the counting calories comes portion control. We just have to learn to measure our foods; and come to grips with what a portion of cooked pasta looks like...

IMO, we need the "good" carbs that are in whole grains, fruits, and veggies.

Holly, from the "Doin' it the Old Fashioned Way" thread :)

Yaseta
03-25-2003, 10:27 AM
I lost 60 pounds on a program that was about 50% protein, 30% carb and 20% fat and NO sugar except what's in fruits. (Moderate carb diet). It was also very low calorie at about 900-1200 (and I'm 5'10"). I truly believe the protein helped conserve muscle mass, but I did weight lifting as well. I didn't have the energy to do much more than a daily 2-mile walk.

Now that I've reached my goal weight I've upped my carbs dramatically (added whole wheat bread, brown rice, Wasa crackers - sometimes I have sushi with white rice though) HOWEVER I also run 30 miles a week. I need those carbs to get me through those runs (did a 13-miler on Sunday). If you eat a bunch of carbs and don't exercise you will get fat, whether they are refined carbs or not. Carbs give you energy for movement. If you do not exercise at all, you only need maybe 3 servings of grains a day for your basal metabolism, not 6-11 like the stupid government says, and most Americans do not exercise.

I have kept the weight off for 2 years and registered with the national weight control registry. I am still losing weight very slowly (am trying to look like Cindy Crawford, who is also 5'10"!).

wcolleen
04-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Carbs are not the enemy. Most people simply eat way too many carbs, relative to protein. I lost about 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, but ate mostly carbs, and I *know* that I lost a lot of muslce in addition to fat. Since that time, I've lost another 35 pounds (and about 4 sizes) by following Body for Life Nutrition (well, following it at about 80% - I'm not perfect!) Basically, I eat equal portions of carbs and protein.

michelle95
05-06-2003, 09:17 PM
I have lost 35 pounds (gosh, has it been that much! :D ) simply by eating sensibly and exercising. I do try to count calories, though.

Lately, I haven't been eating too good. I keep it around 1500, but, man the choices I am making are atrocious...tonight a chili cheese dog and french fries (fried)! Uggh....

I love carbs too much to be able to do away with them. :s:

Peekaboo
06-02-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm in with the side that says that nothing should be "forbidden". If I want a piece of bread, then dammit, I'm going to have a piece of bread. Nothing about ketosis sounds appealing to me. I think that people DO need to cut excess sugar and processed crap out of their diets, but that means meats and cheese that are highly processed with sugar added, as well. I'm also not an advocate of very low fat diets. You need to eat fat for a variety of reasons, and it helps you feel fuller. Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are the best kind to have, however. Saturated fat comes primarily from animals, so that's why I can't fully recommend Atkins.

I think the best thing someone can do for his or her body is learn how to have a normal relationship with food (for example, eating when hungry and stopping when no longer hungry, and eating what they like as well as eating healthy), getting exercise every day, and not depriving him/herself of anything.

-Peekaboo

september141979
06-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Just want to add that I lost over 40 pounds on WW 5 years ago and have kept it off ever since - feel FANTASTIC!!! (139 pounds,
5 ft 10) and my diet includes lots of bread, cereal bars and potatoes etc. I don't even think about cutting out or restricting carbs and I have no probs maintaining my weight by sticking to my maintenance points. WW is awesome because you can easily do it for the rest of your life and you get a great balanced diet with elements of all the necessary food groups. These fad things are all right for a couple of weeks but how long can you really maintain them for without losing nutrients or getting bored silly?

MikiG
06-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Peekaboo...I'm with you. It all boils down to learning to listen to our bodies. They'll tell us when to eat and when to stop and also what we need once we get past all the bad habits we have learned for years. If we arent hungry, then even eating raw carrots or lettuce is overeating.

Miki

mocha74
06-05-2003, 04:14 PM
I lost over 50 pounds without cutting out carbs. I love carbs!!! Bagels, rice, bread, pasta, etc. Yummy!!! I couldn't imagine not eating those. As other have mentioned before you just need to cut back on the amounts that you eat. Sometimes cutting out a portion of carbs is okay but **** would have to freeze over if I was to get rid of them completely.

MikiG
06-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by mocha74
I Sometimes cutting out a portion of carbs is okay but **** would have to freeze over if I was to get rid of them completely.

LOL mocha...I'm with you. I'm sure my top 100 favorite foods are ALL carbs.:dizzy: And I've lost 42 lbs without cutting those out also. I do exercise too tho and have recently started doing more including some weights.

Miki

GreatBigMonsterMomma
06-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I've lost 30 pounds recently (60 total, but half was to pregnancy). I have cut out sugar as much as possible, but I have honey every now and then, 'cause I love it. Because I have PCOS, I try to eat mainly low on the glycemic index. But my diet is still mostly carbs.

A couple of points about Atkins & other low-carb diets:

I hear a lot of people say "I tried everything, and I couldn't lose weight till I tried Atkins". Most of them, though, don't try everything, far from it. Atkins does a very good thing by forcing you to give up sodas and junk food. And that will result in weight loss.

They're a recurring fad. Protein diets were first very popular in the 1960s, then there was a brief resurgence in the early '90s, and now they're popular again. Bottom line: what works is what stays around. Weight Watchers has been around the whole time Atkins has...But at a relatively constant level of popularity. If something works, and works well, it will remain popular.

There are no long-term studies showing the health of Atkins. There doesn't seem to be anyone who has been on this diet any length of time, with the exception of Dr Atkins himself. If this is such a good diet, then where are the people who have been on it and been healthy for 20, 30, 40 years? The closest thing to a long-term study we have is an ongoing study of women and their babies; they just released data from the first 5 years of the study, and it showed that the babies of women who followed a low-carb, high-fat diet had babies much less healthy than their peers.

There is a class of people commonly on a ketogenic diet. Epileptics. They are put on a high-protein diet to lessen brain activity that leads to seizures. Now, do the rest of us want or need to be on a diet that will lower our brain function?

200club
06-13-2003, 02:40 PM
low carb history :bomb: :censored: I have also tried the low carb diet as a last ditch effort when I was frustrated and heard about some people having a rapid weight loss with this diet. I also read that it is a known fact that when you consume fat/protein and no carbs you stop being hungry. the diet curbs your appetite and it's easy to over-eat carbs when you start back on a normal diet because a person did not learn to control portions. Later Sandylynn

Peekaboo
06-18-2003, 05:30 PM
200Club, I agree completely. I know people on Atkins who brag about how much they ate, but how they hardly had any carbs. I'm sorry, but I don't think sitting down and eating three hamburgers with cheese for lunch is a mentally healthy way to approach eating.

-Peekaboo

gma22
06-20-2003, 03:34 PM
I have always been a sensible eater believer and I don't believe starving yourself of carbs is sensible. I am on a carlorie counting fat counting program, have lost 90 lbs since January and am continuing on that road. I am also learning how to handle cravings, binging, eating triggers, etc all necessary to keep the weight off. I exercise 7 days a week with water aerobics for 45 minutes. I still have a long way to go, but believe I can do it.

(oh, PS: Low carb diets make you binge. You have a lot of cravings so I have been told)

Faye

nirvanagurly
07-07-2003, 01:42 PM
i have lost 30lbs and kept it off for a few months now, the old fashioned way..watching calories..nothing else, i dont watch fat grams, i dont pay attention to weither i am eatting carbs or not..and man have my friends given me **** about that too...
even though i am sitting there shrinking before their eyes ..they are like but you cant..you eat carbs..!! LOL
i am not saying my way is right, i have seen alot of sucess from ppl doing it watching fat grams, ppl doing it watching carbs..i just like the calorie way better..for my body. i tried a few of the other ways and for some reason it didnt seem to work much
so i simply eat 1400 a day or a lil under..between 1200-1400 calories..i have my own homemade version of weight watchers points basically..except i see it as money..i have 1300 bucks to spend a day on food..and the calories are how much that particular food costs..lol
sometimes i can borrow a 100 one day but i pay it back the next..lol
but i started on slimfast..did that money/cal thing with my extra dinner calories..lost alot quickly..but then got bored..really bored..lol so i started just doing it with regular food and still ended up at 1300 a day
i do try to exercise but i have never been a sporty type and i am a thinker and more emotional/mental instead of a physical person so exercise is a huge challenge to me..
always has been..i do try to get a lil walking in..i try to turn up the radio while i am cleaning and kinda bop around while i clean..lol
but yah i am happy with my loss, dont seem to gain it back easily..and for me that old fashioned cut calories..move around as much as you can stand..has worked well..

but thats just me:) good luck:)

nirvanagurly
07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
a shopping addict yet i am pretty poor so i dont have the money to feed my addiction..lmao

sooo instead i shop with calories..i kinda get a kick out of it..i stand aroudn when i am hungry and look for baragins..LMFAO

:P

but some of the greatest weight loss stories I have heard have been oddball things..not nessicarly what the media tells you to do

i heard one about a woman who was trying to loose weight one winter..she was going to california at the end of the winter..
so she couldnt walk outside..it was hella cold out, so she bought one of them pedometers i think they are called..that think you belt on and it counts the miles you walk in a day and she made a goal to walk the mileage from like wisconsin to california every 2 weeks i think..and started just walking around her house till she had walked to california many times..by the time she actually drove to california at the end of the winter she had lost alot of weight..

the mind is a powerful tool...
some of the most weight i have seen come off is in funny lil ways using your mind:)

Tallara
07-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Ive lost nearly 80 pounds and Im militant AGAINST lowcarb diets. I prefer to live with all foods and loose weight than deprive myself of anything. Obviously its worked.

I counted calories and worked out. that lost me most the weight. When I started to plateau, I joined WW and thats helped me. I eat all foods. I saw someone say once.. I can eat anything I just cant eat everything. Its that mentality thats kept me motivated.

There are much healthier lifestyles.. ones that include all your hearts desires.. Just not all at once :)

clovesgsb
07-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I have just passed the 51 pound mark on a low fat lifestyle change. I don't like to use the word diet because that somehow implies that their will be an end to it. And, one of the greatest thing that anyone can realize is that it has to be a lifestyle change. Which is one of the main reasons that low fat is the choice for me. I don't have to stop eating anything, there are no "taboo" foods like breads or the like. I started with Richard Simmons food mover (revamp of the old deal a meal plan) it trains you to eat foods in moderation in the right portions for proper weight loss. You don't have to starve and you don't have to give up the foods that you love IF you eat them in proper balance. I have recently changed to Dr. Dean Ornish's plan "Eat More, Weigh Less" I made this switch, not because I was unhappy with the other, I was still losing. I just decided that I could get the necessary amount of protein in my diet with out eating beef and pork. I am still up in the air about the chicken and fish. (The fat content fits the diet, so it could be allowed. Ornish just suggests to switch to vegetarian...)
Anyway, I have rambled on long enough. Just wanted to let you know, there ARE still alternatives to the new found craze of low carb. :^:

MikiG
07-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Tallara, I agree! I refuse to forbid myself of any certain foods. The foods arent the problem...the portions or reasons for eating them are. I've only lost 42 lbs but like you, it has been thru controlling my foods rather than food controlling me and adding exercise to my lifestyle also. I may not eat all I want or everytime I want, but I do eat as much as I need and what I like, which is the only way I could ever stick to this way of life for good. A calorie is a calorie no matter what makes it up.

Miki :)

wistfuldreamer
08-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Last year I lost 30 lbs by watching what I ate & exercised. Problem is my hypoglycemia is back & I only eat healthy carbs now like whole grain bread, veggies, fruit, also low fat meats, poultry, etc. I don't think that carbs makes a person gain weight per se, but what it does for me is increase my cravings. If a person sticks to a plan (no matter what the diet plan is), they will lose, it's that simple. It takes dedication. :D

gma22
08-19-2003, 08:51 AM
I am on a fat and cal counting program and an hour of exercise everyday and have lost around 90 so far so you DON'T have to stay away from carbs to lose!

Fayecongrats to all you losers!

simulatorman
08-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Weight Watchers is it for me... I started May 9th of 2002 and I have lost 135 Lbs. I feel great and just love it when the people I know and havent seen lately dont recognize me. I do not feel deprived in any way.

Rowan Bailey
09-05-2003, 11:22 AM
I have lost weight on WW and gained it back and I have lost weight on Atkins...and gained it back. It really depends on the person.

When I was on WW I lost weight, but I was miserable, hungry all the time, lived for my next meal. My body cannot metaboilze sugar well, that is really nothing to do with weight loss, even when I weigh less I still experience the same issues with eating the evil whites for me. My weight is linked to my emotions and insulin/sugar issues.

I say finding what works for you and integrating it into your life to work for you is very healthy. Whether you cut calories, carbs, fat or whatever. It is all good. And I don't trust most doctors, I research on my own. To get your Medical degree, you take one semester of nutrition, and I worked in a hospital, most doctors there ate terribly, so before I take nutritional advice from a doctor, I grill him on what he knows....most times I know tons more then they do.

BTW, I was a vegetarian for 17 years, weighed the most in my life. When I began eating chicken, fish and dairy to begin low carbing, I experienced very little increase in my cholesterol...my doctor told me that I really didn't experience any increase, that the increase that I had was due to the fact that I hadn't been eating those things before, and my system normalized. I still at 40% BMI had perfect blood pressure, cholersterol of 146 and my hdl/ldl ratio is better than perfect (I don't do red meats, pork or lamb).

Anytime you eat less and burn more you will lose weight, no matter what diet your following, it is about what makes you feel good.....

You can debate this one forever, like what is better a MAC or PC....no one will ever win that one and frankly....who cares it is whatever is working for you!!!

Do Weight Watchers if you don't want to Lo-Carb and good job in whatever you choose!!!!!

Absinthe
09-20-2003, 10:40 PM
in 1996, I lost 91 pounds using simpy healthy eating habits that I learned at Weight Watchers. At the time there were no points. I did not attend meetings. I just ate healthy and exercised my butt off. I put a good deal of it back on, but knowingly (stupidly enough) by just returning to bad habits.

Heading back there though, and yes, it is indeed very possible to lose withough going low carb. Carbs are my friend ;)

TheGiant
09-21-2003, 03:56 AM
Well I have done the low carb thing and it worked. If you hate counting calories or fat grams or points, count carbs. It is easy and you are never hungry. 70 lbs later I feel great! I started in Feb. of this year. I am down 6 pant sizes and weight less now than in High school. Take it from a Giant who loves to eat. This is one Diet that works and works well.