Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/229/150

Height: 5'2"

Default What do you think?

So I find when I walk if I got something to keep me occupied I don't feel so worn out and painful. Lacking an mp3 player or any friends in the area Ive been trying to figure out what to do. I got this idea but I'm really nervous about trying it. I am not a people person you could say I am very shy and if I could I would probably live in the woods as a hermit . Anyway, I am thinking about putting up a sign at the mailboxes in my trailer park saying I'm looking for other residents who would like to join me on my laps around the place. I am unsure though if its wise to leave a phone number, an address, or just tell them to keep an eye out for the short chubby girl making laps around the place in the late afternoon early evening. What do you guys think? It would be wonderful if we got a whole group together doing laps and I think it would force me to have more accountability about getting out there and walking.
Teeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #2  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

I think you could maybe put up a sign saying that anyone who would like to join a walking group should meet in front of the office (or some common building/place) at 5 p.m. on Tuesdays (some specific days and times). Then get there a few minutes early and wait 5 or 10 minutes before you take off. Might take awhile for people to join but that's probably the safest route I would end back there then separate to go back home. Good luck!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm with rainydays. I was going to suggest a common meeting point and give them your first name so they can identify you (if you like). This is a great way to meet like-minded people, as far as exercise goes, so good luck! Hope you get a great turnout!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #4  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Is that adorable puppy in your picture yours? If so, bring him along - for protection (if he's a little bigger than that now) and a pal in case no one else comes. My pup is my biggest walking motivator - i take him out every day after work, and now, if I get lazy or don't want to, he pulls his leash down and brings it to me.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #5  

Height: 6-1.5

Moving out of your comfort zone a few times a year is necessary-worthwhile. Seriously. Try to do uncomfortable things often.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/229/150

Height: 5'2"

It never even occurred to me to pick some place to meet at. Unfortunately, that pup isn't mine though I would just love to have a dog.. this is the longest Ive been without one. I am starting to get excited I knew you folks here would come up with a good idea. We could meet at the mailboxes which is right at the office ..there's even a lil picnic table.
Teeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #7  
Be happy.

Walking with others is a super idea, I'd be careful about how I worded a sign though. Ideally, only good, kind people who want to start walking would read it, but there's always the chance that someone who isn't good and kind would read the sign and start keeping an eye out for the "short chubby girl making laps around the place in the late afternoon early evening." Personally, I'd feel much safer leaving a sign with my first name and phone number than a sign that told when I was going to be walking alone.

Also, I would hunt down a friend, family member, neighbor, etc. to go along with me the first few times I walked with someone I met through a sign like that. Even if they don't want to commit to regular walks with you, you should be able to find someone who would be willing to join you for safety's sake on a walk or two.

I live in what I consider a safe, rural neighborhood - we're not afraid to leave the house unlocked or the keys in our vehicles - but I watch the evening news. I don't live in fear, but it just makes sense to be careful.

Good luck to you, I hope you're able to find some great new friends and walking partners.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote