Weight Loss Support - my child motivated me

View Full Version : my child motivated me

b2babe123
05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
this is just something i want to share with my fellow weight loss buddies. my child is a major motivation. the other day he said mommy can i tell you something(he is 10) he said that he was embarrassed to be seen with me because of my weight. that sounds mean,,,but he was truthful and sincere.
i do everything for my son that i can,,,pay tuition to send him what i think is a great school. he is in football and dance that i am dedicated to 100%. i take him places all the time,,,like movies,,video arcade,,, park,,ymca,,,weekly!!! so it broke my heart when he told me that.

funny though---that following Saturday he had a birthday invite at the roller skate station and i did not take him. i told him that i didn't want to embarress him. i just wanted him to realize what i do for him.

roxmysox
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm going to be honest with you... It's not how I would have reacted, but I'm glad it provided you with motivation! Good luck!

goodforme
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I think I was a little older but I used to feel the same way about my mom. I loved her and when I heard people trashing her it made me feel inadequate. I never did learn to stand up for my mom, or myself, and I don't think I ever came to terms with having an older, fat mom. Until I was an adult, even then, she would embarrass me (sometimes on purpose) and I could laugh it off.

I'm sorry he said that to you.:hug: And I'm glad you made him sit out an activity, that's what I would have done!:p

AmyMW
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I think I would have cried the rest of the day. Good for you for seeing something positive in that... and good for you for being a good mom and letting your child be open and honest with you without fear of getting in trouble for saying something you didn't want to hear. You handled it with much maturity.

zephyr524
05-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree that your response shows your maturity. Good job on using this as a first step!

shortandfluffy
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I also think you had a great reaction. It would have been hard for me not to get upset, but since he is 10 he sees thinks a lot different.

Also I probably would have done the same thing about the skating. Shows how much you do for him and it will help him understand. :hug:

astrophe
05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I guess I'm the different opinion. He told you something painful, but truthfully and sincere.

How does denying him an activity reward his honesty with you? How does it help him practice coping skills when peers pick on him for whatever?

A.