The Maintenance Library - Has Anyone Else Read Skinny Witch (Ahem) (Link for maybe vegetarians)

ThicknPretty
05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I picked up this book last weekend and was really excited to read it. I'm always looking for little suggestions to tweak and adjust my diet and lifestyle...think I might have grabbed the wrong book for that!

I found this book to be completely condescending, over the top, catty and just annoying. It's like a book of one liners aimed at people who eat anything that isn't organic...that's quite a few of us! To me, the book has no flow...seems like they just came up with phrases they thought were funny and straight shootin' and stuck them all together with no thought: "Come on girl, let's be honest, how much are you putting in your mouth and how much is coming out of your _ _ _?" "No wonder you're a fat _ _ _, you're eating rotting corpses!"

Um. I'm all for honesty. I'm all for telling it like it is, but come on. I don't need to read a book that calls me a fat _ _ _ every three lines. I just wasn't expecting it! And it seems so impractical. They refer to people who eat donuts and smoke cigarettes and drink coffee...and honestly suggest overhauling their lives to eating vegan and organic. Seriously? Sure, in an ideal world, we'd all eat like that...but alas the world is not ideal and most of us are going to eat some things now and then that didn't come straight out the ground.

I will say one good thing about this book is that it inspired me to go back to vegetarianism. They suggested that the reader check out www.humanekosher.com and...it has turned me off to meat. And I was a meat lover. I am a Southern girl...a ribs and roast and fried chicken eatin' Southern Girl. After watching the videos of how these animals are treated...the thought of meat turns my stomach and makes me angry. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm definitely vegetarian now.

So, did anyone else read it? What did ya'll think?

azmom
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I too was so excited when I bought this book since I rarely spend the money on books. I agree with you completely...I thought the book was inappropriate and somewhat foul. Come on, there is a huge difference between eating clean and what they suggest!

There are so many othere encouraging books out there ladies...don't spend your money on this one!

constance21
05-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I personally really liked the book! I know some people who didn't like it and found it offensive. I changed multiple things about my lifestyle and diet after reading it. So it was VERY helpful for me. I think its what I needed to hear, even if it is harsh lol. I think you have to understand their sense of humor :)

MeganTheMushroom
05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Being a veggie organic-lover, I probably wouldn't be bothered at all by it, and actually might keep my eye out for it :P
It's probably just an activist trying to get more people to go veg and buy organic

bama girl
05-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I read it. I struggled with an eating disorder for 7 years, so maybe it's added sensitivity, but I'm going to have to agree that it was entirely too condescending. To be honest, it sounded exactly like the "eating disorder voice" that was in my head when I was very sick. I can't imagine that it would be healthy for ANYONE to encourage negative self-talk to the extent of what was in this book, but I think it could be especially harmful to a woman who already feels bad about herself, which is why a lot of us are dieting in the first place.

As I said before, maybe that is just me, and that style of writing motivates you, by all means go for it, but I was really upset by it. I agree with the message of eating clean and whole foods, but there is definitely a better way to convey it.

That said, I got the box set with "Skinny B* in the Kitch" which is a cookbook, and the cookbook has some pretty decent recipes in it.

Hopeful8
05-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I bought the book about a month ago, and at first I was a little put off by the way the book was worded. I couldn't put it down and finished it the same night. I'm proud to say that it's now been over 2 weeks since I've eaten any meat or fish and I couldn't be happier. I feel much lighter on my feet and my body feels healthier, and I owe it to that book.

ParadiseFalls
05-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I actually liked the tone. I don't want to be babied--I need my butt kicked. I don't take offense to it because it's not personal--it's just her method of giving advice, and I think it's good for a lot of people. I also started reading it just as I decided to go vegetarian, and it cemented my decision.

freeqeegrl
06-22-2010, 04:37 AM
I loved it, I learned a lot from it. and it came with the swift kick to the @$$ i needed! ive read it 5 times and everytime i read it i go through it with a highlighter and always find new things i want to incorporate into my life. It made me even laugh out loud once when it said something about "...its so good itll make your nipples hard" lmao. I loved it.

StephanieM
06-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I haven't read it personally because of the reviews I've read about it. They also have a version for expecting mothers.

Many of the reviews I read were of people who felt insulted and looked down upon, and almost verbablly abused by the book. One pregnant woman was very upset with the fact that they were pretty much saying she was ruining her child's chance at a good life by not eating organic.

I want to look at eating healthy and excercising with a positive outlook, so this doesn't seem the type of book for me. As well as I do eat meat here and there, (mostly fish and sometimes chicken, rarely steak) and do not have an interest in giving that up completely.

Serval87
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I read the first few pages on amazon, and found it amusing. It definitely makes me want to change my eating habits, but organic is just too darn expensive.

GoldenLeaf
07-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Oh haha. I really, really like that book. And if you are on the fence about becoming a vegetarian or vegan it definitely might help sway your decision. Doubt it would convince a die-hard meateater though.

fallendaydreams
07-06-2010, 03:45 AM
I actually liked the tone. I don't want to be babied--I need my butt kicked. I don't take offense to it because it's not personal--it's just her method of giving advice, and I think it's good for a lot of people. I also started reading it just as I decided to go vegetarian, and it cemented my decision.Same here. I agree completely.

astrophe
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I didn't care for the tone on that one. I prefer "The Vegetarian Way" by Virginia Messina and Mark Messina. I also have their dietitian version, but the "lay version" is really all that is needed.

I swing back and forth on the veg eating style. I've found it very helpful for health management for myself but in a mixed eating family I sometimes just go with non-veg to make it easier cooking all around.

A.

CurvyKC
07-07-2010, 09:44 PM
I had been a vegetarian for several years before reading this book, gotta tell ya, I absolutely loved it. It is a little harsh and *****y, but for me that's effective. My sister was a meat lover before reading it, she's now a pescatarian who eats mostly organic.

Natasha1534
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I just read the first few pages on Google book search and I found it to be too crass. And lemme just say that I am NOT a girl that is easily put off. That big C word that most women will slap you for saying??? Doesn't bother me. But yeah, calling people who need their morning coffee to function *ahem* kitty cats is pretty bad. You can be harsh and truthful w/o being vulgar.

ThicknPretty
07-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't need or want to be babied at all. I would not want to sit down with any book that was diet, weight loss or exercise related and feel like I was reading a nursery rhyme. I'm a realistic girl and I appreciate realistic writing.

The book bothered me more because it was so contrived. It was as if the whole POINT of the book was to tick you off and put you off. "Let's see how many times we can use the words _ _ tch, _ss and _hit and pass it off as a tough love." The quality of writing was very poor, in my opinion. There was no flow, it was not cohesive.

Glad that some found it helpful though!

K3lly
07-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I really liked the book. But I need that aggressive type of oh my god, look what you are putting in your body type thing.

racrane
03-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I didn't mind it at all, and it gave me the push to go vegetarian completely (as opposed to cheating a little). So, I say different strokes for different folks. There's lots of books out there, if you don't like this one, there are others out there for you. And the recipes are great, too!

Munchy
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I just read the first few pages on Google book search and I found it to be too crass. And lemme just say that I am NOT a girl that is easily put off. That big C word that most women will slap you for saying??? Doesn't bother me. But yeah, calling people who need their morning coffee to function *ahem* kitty cats is pretty bad. You can be harsh and truthful w/o being vulgar.

Exactly what I thought. It reminded me of teens who swear because "it's cool." Completely ridiculous.

k8yk
04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
I like being skinny (or thin or fit or whatever word you prefer.)
But I don't want to be a b*tch. The title alone told me the book would be of no interest to me. I'm one of those people who believes in taking care of my body out of love and respect for myself. I do not need anyone to "kick my ***." I'm an adult and am perfectly capable of making decisions for myself without being brow-beaten. This is also the reason I can't stand Jillian from TBL.
I'm a veganish/vegetarian who prefers organic produce if I can get it. But I find it really obnoxious how judgmental and high-and-mighty some people can get about it.

Thanks for the reviews. I will be sure to stay away from this one :)

bleujean
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
It annoyed me too. The writing was gimicky and I felt pandered too.

bleujean
05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
and by too, I mean 'to'. :)

VegDay
05-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I haven't read the book and probably won't. I'm already vegan 5 1/2 years. News flash to the authors. Fat vegans exist! I went vegan for the animals after visiting Farm Sanctuary's California Shelter. I had been vegetarian for many years. It is the best thing I ever did.

Certainly not everything I eat is organic. I do try to buy from and support smaller natural companies. Avoid those trans fats that are in so many of the supermarket foods. Since I only feed myself, it does make it easier. And I think where I spend my dollars makes a difference.

Anyone interested in how animals are treated by the meat and (yes) dairy industry can watch videos available online.

Chubbykins
05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm all for variety and freedom of speech when it doesn't hurt. So it's ok the book exists, but I don't have to like it for myself. I found it cocky, ignorant and money-making oriented.
It has a rude tone to draw in from bad publicity and activists. It is all marketing.

What people think is "organic" and "wholesome" is most times a new label on the same stuff and there is no food or crafted item that hasn't killed lives to exist. What is important is to find ballance and self-control not to become media organic-healthstyle suckers.

I have worked with many farms who make organic food. I agree it is tasty and nice, but it is not what people think it is :) It is a lifestyle of the choosy not the humble.

I am a vegetarian myself, but I do it for ballance. Not because I think the food I eat not is somehow blessed in health heaven.

YoYoKimmy
05-12-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm reading it now, but taking a lot of it with a grain of salt. The cursing doesn't bother me at all, but I get a "shallow" vibe from the writers. They don't seem overly educated about real health/weight. The vegan part of it, I very much appreciate, but to me it's a lot of rambling and doesn't hold my attention.

I've decided to go in a more spiritual direction with my journey. It works better for me. To anyone that gets something from that book, I'm happy for you! :)

jillnicole03
05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
This is a love it or hate it book...

I absoloutely LOVED it.... it had a major impact on my life! I personally needed the sailor talk so I felt like it was a sassy friend talking to me, and found the book funny yet very informative. I recommend this book to almost all my friends unless I know they take those type of words harshly.

There is milions of these books like this that are boring and just facts, no entertainment so FOR ME it was something different and easy to read.

Josie83
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
If you're referring to the same book I'm thinking of - I remember my sister reading a bit of it to me (she got it to help motivate her to lose weight) and I didn't find it especially captivating. I respond better to positive reinforcement.

Mickeypnd
05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
my sister bought the bok and was going to let me read it once she was done, but she didn't even finish it, and i knew i wouldn't either.

I understand people want to eat certain things, and don't want, but i felt from what i did read of the book (which was very little) it was just a blast on not eating meat, and that if you didn't eat the way they said you should then your just going to be a fat --- the rest of your life.

foodmasochist
05-19-2011, 06:13 PM
i love this book. Yes, it's in-your-face, but there are plenty of coddling books out there. For me it opened the door to go on and read other books, like the china study. It was a quick fast-moving read. And yes, i did turn vegan after i read it. While that hasn't turned me skinny overnight, i have learned so much about meat and dairy. It's hard, but it's doable.

i understand not everyone will like the tone, but i don't understand why people don't just put it down and move on-instead they are "offended" and bothered. Yes they use "big girl" words-but i also think you can pick up on that just by reading the back cover & table of contents.

To anyone interested in the book, don't go by what others think. Just give it a read. i got mine on ebay with the cookbook along with it for a bargain. -fm

toastedsmoke
05-22-2011, 05:31 AM
I have read this book and I enjoyed it as entertainment for the snark but it certainly didn't inspire me in any way. I just felt that the book didn't apply to me at all and I didn't feel I particularly got any insight out of reading it. I have no interest in being vegan/vegetarian (if my freshman year militant vegan roommate didn't convince me, then not this book), I choose organic if i find it at a reasonable price compared to non-organic, I'm not a coffee drinker (for taste reasons) or a smoker, however I do know it is possible to be all the things the book preaches against and still be a skinny "beech"or non-"beech." There is nothing wrong with the main ideas prescribed by the book (veganism, organic eating, no caffeine and no smoking); however, I think being skinny should not be the main reason any one should follow any of these and the book sort of makes it seem like if you do these things the pounds will melt off. To be fair they do also mention portion size but not as much emphasis is placed on this as on their main agenda.

I didn't really take offense at the writing style as I really think most of it was a little contrived for effect. I typically dont like negativity in my diet books, i do enough negative self-talk on my own. I certainly wouldnt recommend this book to someone who struggles or has struggled with disordered eating or crippling body image/self-esteem issues.

AshleyLaurent
05-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I checked this book out from my library and was thoroughly uninspired. The condescending elitist attitude projected from the book really made me want to gag.

This attitude doesn't come from being vegetarian, this is a book on projecting the author's own personal agenda.

and WOW. is the writing crude.

lackadaisy
05-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I love eating vegetarian and organic and I hate that book. It's one of the few I'm straight-up throwing away when I move out of college, because I can't rightly "donate" something I consider to be poison...

It's not just the negative self-talk or the elitism I resent, it's the scientific inaccuracy of the claims, the mixing of vegetarian loathing with diet loathing, all kinds of problematic statements regarding nutrients that are simply not borne out by nutritional research. Sassy is fine. I'm sassy. But I've never read a book that made me want to be vegetarian less.

liliesinmycereal
05-30-2011, 09:58 PM
I didn't care for this book but the workout video I had borrowed from the library was good. The women seemed a little fake but the workout choreographer made a great workout lol.

jillnicole03
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I seriously can't say how much I loved this book! I love reading, and I've read a lot of diet books, this was definitely VERY different, and I liked that. There is a million diet/vegan/vegetarian/do this or do that books and this was a fun, sailor mouthed read for me lol.... I don't ever even cuss but I wasn't offended. It definitely had a huge impact on me.

dancinginpaint
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I read this book awhile ago, and I can't even tell you if I finished it. What I remember is exactly that, the "B****y" attitude. I remember a few bits of it, however nothing that I would apply to my life because of the way it was written. I have completely given up caffine, but not because of anything in this book but because of the affect it had on my anxiety. So no real impact on me, and as a grown up, I don't think using cuss words, makes it any more legit as an adult book.

totalconfusion87
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I actually really loved this book. When you read it you kinda have to understand what the authors are trying to do- they're not trying to tiptoe around dieting or veganism or whatever cutely and nicely like everyone else does. They're using their "witchiness," as it were, as a selling point for something different. There are a sea of diet books out there but this is the first one that promoted itself that way, and you know what? It was genius. It got people to buy it, and hopefully, read it. You can't really take every single book out there literally- and I don't think this was meant to be taken that way either. Putting aside the cuss words (which I enjoyed) and the *****y attitude (which I also found hilarious for a diet/cookbook), there's still a valid message underneath which we all can understand.