The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - TBL Season 9- Couples- Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS** CONTINUED

fatklr
05-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Since the other thread was closed, I figured I would start this one. I really don't like the fact that Daris was not able to fess up to why he gained his 2 pounds. I want Koli to go to the next round!

MindiV
05-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Daris admitted in his "plea" that he had eaten. I wonder if he wasn't ashamed of it, in front of everyone?

During Koli's plea, it was just cold and unfeeling. At least Daris showed some emotion about the whole thing. And as bad as he did at home, at least Daris WAS at home...Koli couldn't handle home and rather than sticking out the hard times like the others did, he basically ran off to a substitute ranch.

My votes are for Daris. I also don't think Koli has a chance...

PopcornGal
05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't think either Koli or Daris have their heads completely in the right place for now. That makes the playing field equal in the "deserves to be there" category.

Pluses for Daris - set a marathon goal and accomplished it, showed good sportsmanship these last few weeks, toughed it out at home.

Minuses for Koli - he has demonstrated terrible sportsmanship since Sam left the ranch (and even before then), totally blew off the challenge of being at home.

My vote is for Daris!!!!

For the first time I am not pulling for one particular person to win the Biggest Loser because I like Ashley, Michael and Daris. This will be fun.

Overall, with the exception of Melissa, Koli and Lance, this season's contestants seemed the most committed to being supportive of each other.

Tomato
05-19-2010, 09:54 AM
LabMonkeyGirl wrote (in the closed thread):
It was depressing seeing that nearly every former contestant they ran in to during the marathon had gained at least half their weight back (except for the woman-she looked incredible). I think all of them, except for the woman, looked a bit overweight.

Do you mean Ali Vincent (who won Season 5) - who was waiting for Ashley? I was SOOO happy to see her but I was bummed that she did not say anything (well, hardly anything - maybe it got all edited out). She looked pretty much the same as when she won Season 5 although I would say her upper arms had more of a muscle definition then (but that would be understandable). This is one of my favourite pics of Ali:

I have to say that I was INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED WITH ALL OF THEM for finishing up the marathon. Especially Daris's time - WOWSERS! The whole time, when they showed Daris running, I was petrified that his knee would give up or something and he will conk out at mile 25 or so unable to continue. That is absolutely amazing that in 5 months they progressed to such a state of fitness that they were able to complete a marathon.
On the other hand, I was actually unpleasantly surprised by the way Koli ran - he did not look much like a runner - the way he held his body etc. - he seemed to be flapping around (for lack of a better word) as opposed to running.

Somebody asked about their jobs - I was wondering was Nuclear Hair was doing prior to getting on TBL? He mentioned he was mostly spending his days by downloading songs etc. - was he on disability becaue of his weight?

Ashley is turning hot, hot, HOT!!! She will be one gorgeous woman. But please, somebody tell me, after almost 150 lbs lost, WHERE IS ALL HER LOOSE SKIN? She doesn't seem to have any - unless she is stuffed, under the pink tank top, into some body sausage spandex thingy. She used to have such a huge stomach - I don't get it?!?!

Nuclear Hair is also turning into an incredibly handsome guy. But, did anybody else think that it was a bit cheap of Bob to take a shot at Michael's overweight sister and question her about "how does it feel not to fit in"? PUHLEEZE - it's one thing to be on the show (aka Michael) but I thought they should have left his sis out of it.

Daris - what should I say? I wept crocodile tears when I saw him binging. Not that I didn't understand - having done it so many time myself :rollpin::rollpin::rollpin:) but Gawd, he must have eaten a LOT to actually gain 2 lbs. I wonder if he is prone to stress himself out too much needlessly - he was saying he worries if he will be able to find a girlfriend - it's not like going to a store to buy a pair of socks. Finding a girlfriend may take some time and I feel he is rushing into this too much - he needs to give himself time to find a routine, now that he is off the ranch, to adjust, and allow things to happen naturally.

Koli - I actually thought it was smart of him to get away and start the martial training - it may not have helped him to be one of the 3 finalists, but I thought it was a good move.

Eh - sorry this is so long, I always get carried away in my blabber.

Alena

MindiV
05-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I think Daris is putting too much pressure on himself in the girlfriend area too, Tomato...I mean, he'd been home about 20 minutes and was already saying he still hadn't found a girlfriend.

I fear he's been under the impression that being SMALLER will solve all his life problems, much like I was 80 or so pounds ago. I never really considered the mental after-effects of it - I was just focused on losing. Now that he IS smaller and the journey is nearly over, his life isn't magically better - the girls aren't flocking to him. Yet.

parkedout
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I fear he's been under the impression that being SMALLER will solve all his life problems, much like I was 80 or so pounds ago. I never really considered the mental after-effects of it - I was just focused on losing. Now that he IS smaller and the journey is nearly over, his life isn't magically better - the girls aren't flocking to him. Yet.

^^^^ Completely agree. And thats a lesson we all have to learn, huh? :)

I hope it didn't cost him his chance to win--although I think Ashley has this one in the bag. What an awesome job she did!:carrot:

ennay
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
OK...you want my "its a reality show so I have no clue but here is my marathon training" reason why Daris binged? Cause i've been there

They never expected anyone to actually train like a marathoner for a marathon. So he went home trying to stick to his 1500 calorie per day diet. Which you can not do if you are training to run a 4 hr marathon at nearly 200 lbs. His body rebelled. And he ate. Because he was freaking starving. But because the eating was unplanned that cycled him back into feeling BADLY about what he ate and eating more. Until you acknowledge that you NEED more food to do what he wants to do, you can not do it without guilt. What he needed was someone to sit him down and say "on these days your calorie needs are higher and you need to accomodate that to stop the binging"

trekkiegirl
05-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Daris has a girlfriend now. His facebook status says he's in a relationship with a girl named Heather. She's a little blonde thing, she looks smaller than Alison.

I think Koli is having some of the same issues as Daris and Bob has talked to him about it. When they offered the past winner Erik appearing on this finale as incentive to lose, I remember thinking, okay, and what happens afterwards when that incentive is gone, when the finale is over, just as it was for him before? I think Koli and Daris, maybe to a lesser extent, are the same way...focusing on a particular event (like winning the marathon or winning the show) as primary motivation.

I'm thinking, if we say that the winner will be the one to lose at least 50% of their weight (and probably more), that would bring Michael to 263 pounds. He's at 299 now and with 6 weeks between the penultimate and final shows, that is doable for him. I was worried about his frustration getting the better of him but I think he'll be fine. As the biggest contestant ever, I'm glad to see he made it this far. Daris would have to be at 173 to get to 50%--not impossible but he may struggle with it. Ashley would have to get to 187--again, not impossible but she'd have to pretty much duplicate what she just did. Koli, as I said in the other thread...I doubt he will be voted in but if he were, I think he'd probably win because he's obsessed with it and he'd pull a Helen. I think he'll either win the at home prize or be a serious contender for it--Ashley's mom looks so far to be a good candidate for that, too.

Hun.e.B
05-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Well I never ever vote on these shows and last night my votes went to Koli. I like Daris, I think he's going to be a great athlete...but not until he confronts his demons. I dont see him as a "the biggest loser" he's not there yet. Koli is playing the eric game its all bout winning at this point. At this point I'm hoping for Mike I believe.

I am training for a marathon so last nights epi was especially touching for me. I was so impressed with the times! But at the same time it scares the heck out of me!

lights76
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Sione lives in the same town as we do. His daughter was taking ballet with my daughter. He definitely put weight back on but i think he is pretty active...teaches boot camp classes and such here. I think his body just went a "happy" weight. He definitely did not go back to the orginal weight he was...

Ali Vincent definitely made a career out of Biggest Loser - she also lives in a neighboring city...she occastionally does some classes at 24 hour...its cool to see her and see how well she has done.

LisaElevated
05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
My vote went to Daris. Even though he did sabotage himself a littler, I definitely do not think he was aware. Sure, he was aware he was eating more, but give me a break, he NEEDED more fuel for what he was doing. A previous poster said something about BL not expecting people to train properly for a marathon and that is exactly what Daris did and it bit him in the bum! I agree that he didn't know how to deal with the hunger result of all that cardio ect and it breaks my heart that his training for that exceptional time may put him out of the final 3! I think he has more to do still mentally and THAT is why he needs to stay to the end. Koli is seeming competative for competition sake, whereas Daris is in it to grow as a person and experience things he never had the chance for. I dunno, Koli just rubbed me the wrong way and I think Daris deserves it. Although, I am straight up torn between wanting Daris and Mike to win. I love Ashley too, but I think those two men worked SOOOO hard!!
Team Daris!

eastcoastgirl
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I voted for Daris too -- I was torn but I just identified so strongly with Daris and I want him to have a reason and the motivation to overcome his issue. (I do also believe him that the weight gain was marathon-related, as I've gained weight when training for half-marathons.) And I hate to say it because it sounds superficial, but besides his bad attitude the reason I don't like Koli is his terrible posture! Just thinking about it makes me feel the need to sit up straighter now!

I want Ashley to win, but as trekkie girl pointed out, the math is in Mike's favor. Not to mention, he's done great at home for the most part. I was anti-Mike for a while because I think he is obnoxiously entitled in a way that is very "lazy 30 year old man who lives with his mom", but I am happy for him that he seems to be outgrowing that.

LisaElevated
05-19-2010, 03:40 PM
eastcoastgirl, I totally get what you are saying about Mike! I couldn't put my finger on it, but that pretty much sums it up. I feel like he has come such a long way maturity and responsibility wise and I love him more every episode! He seems to really be coming into his own and finding his personality. Sigh, I love this show! This is the first season that I got really involved with! I watched last season here and there, but I don't know if it is because my own weight loss hit rock bottom and something clicked for me or I wanted to see other people succeeding or what.. but this season has been so addicting for me! I even jog in place during commercial breaks because I just feel so... inspired!

ladyrider72472
05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
It looks like more and more of the past contestants are re gaining their weight. I wonder if this is associated to the increasing # of seasons and the whole "game play" attitude.

Maintaining is NOT easy, but it is doable.

thesame7lbs
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi all,

I usually just lurk around here but when I read Ennay's words about marathon training I had to jump in, especially this from the previous thread:

"They keep having the people run this marathon but I have seen nothing to indicate that TBL knows anything about giving them ANY guidelines on how to train for one. And definitely not how to train and lose at the same time."

I couldn't agree more! It seems to me that the bigger contestants could have benefitted from a Galloway-type training method (walk-run), and that Daris' problems, while likely linked to a history of bingeing, also might have had something to do with his training.

My husband also gained weight while marathon training -- and he never gains weight. He was ravenous. I was cooking lots of extra food just for him!

I do like Koli, and I think his aggressiveness was just him visualizing success and getting in a mindset to win. I always remind myself, too, that the producers edit the show to give us certain "personalities." They want good guys and bad guys, and they choose to show us moments and quotations that support that. However, my votes went to Daris -- I mean, 4:02!?!??!

Amarantha2
05-19-2010, 11:11 PM
The thread was close right after I posted so I wanted to reiterate:

I think it would be so unfair for Daris to win the vote, though I have empathy for him but he is too prone to make excuses for the night eating behavior and I think he needs to address that more fully and to unfairly win this contest at this point just puts him in the same place with all the other former winners who seem to be regaining and making a lot of excuses about it (except Ali, who does not seem to have gained much except some muscle). JMO.

PeanutsMom704
05-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I voted for Daris - I give him credit for what he achieved in that marathon vs. Koli who IMO broke or at least fudged the rules by not going home the way everyone else did. I gotta say that see Koli as the most likely to put back on everything he's lost - I mean, it was only a few episodes ago where he said that he wasn't even calorie counting. Sure, if you start off over 400 lbs and do crazy amounts of exercise, you can drop weight by being even moderately careful about food. But now that you are just over 200 lbs and going back to the real world where you have all the temptations plus you've got to earn a living and deal with day to day life and don't have time to exercise for hours and hours a day, you are back to the 80% food/20% exercise equation and I don't see that he's internalized the knowledge or tools to handle that.

I thought the past contestants looked ok - Mike M seemed fine to me, I think he's not quite as low as he was at the finale but that was a fake weight IMO (same thing with Helen). And I didn't think Sione had gained back all that much - he's kind of a bulky guy in general and I think he could drop a few lbs back down, but if he's comfortably maintaining, then good for him. I didn't watch when the other 2 were on though so no real basis for comparison.

I definitely want either Michael or Ashley to win. I was shocked by how different they both looked after the time at home, and I was also amazed at how well they did in the marathon, esp. Michael at ~300 lbs. I mean, think about them compared with Ron. Sure, he's a lot older with lots more physical ailments, but really, a man who was 526 lbs just a few months ago to be able to even just walk 26 miles? Let alone do some jogging intervals in there?? Color me impressed!

MindiV
05-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree with PeanutsMom on Koli....I don't think he's picked up anything regarding how to maintain after the show. He's not counting calories - he's counting on 8 hours of exercise a day to lose. That's not feasible in a real-life scenario, and I think real life is what made him run to a trainer rather than staying at home. I hope for his sake I'm wrong, but I don't see him mentally or physically capable of keeping the weight off after the show - unless he starts doing MMA training full time.

Tomato
05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I think it would be so unfair for Daris to win the vote, though I have empathy for him but he is too prone to make excuses for the night eating behavior and I think he needs to address that more fully and to unfairly win this contest at this point just puts him in the same place with all the other former winners who seem to be regaining and making a lot of excuses about it (except Ali, who does not seem to have gained much except some muscle). JMO.

Well, fair or not fair, it's a VOTE. There is no fairness in votes. People will vote for who they like better. Not everybody is looking at it the same way we do.
Besides, let me tell you what I have witnessed many times - I am on a greyhound mailing list and often people enter a picture of their dog into a contest, and then they ask publicly on the mailing list that everybody votes for their pooch. Sometimes you look at the pictures and the number of votes the individual "contestants" have and it's clear people are pulling all sorts of string to their dog to win. You can see pictures with more or less even % of votes and then there would be one where numbers are sky high, I mean ridiculously high. It's like posting on Facebook "please vote for my dog" etc. (and it's not that greyhound people are crazy, other breed people do the same thing - cat owners probably too).
There will be people who will vote till their hands fall off. It has nothing to do with fairness.

Eliana
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
OK...you want my "its a reality show so I have no clue but here is my marathon training" reason why Daris binged? Cause i've been there

They never expected anyone to actually train like a marathoner for a marathon. So he went home trying to stick to his 1500 calorie per day diet. Which you can not do if you are training to run a 4 hr marathon at nearly 200 lbs. His body rebelled. And he ate. Because he was freaking starving. But because the eating was unplanned that cycled him back into feeling BADLY about what he ate and eating more. Until you acknowledge that you NEED more food to do what he wants to do, you can not do it without guilt. What he needed was someone to sit him down and say "on these days your calorie needs are higher and you need to accomodate that to stop the binging"

I'm really glad you posted this because I was scratching my head at your other post. ;) I didn't understand. This makes ALOT of sense and I get it now. His words "It's hard to lose weight when training for a marathon" made NO sense to me, and I bet not to anyone else either. I think you need to have trained for a marathon to understand it. And like Ali said, they have all now joined an "elite" group of people. Not many of us have done it!!

So thanks! :D

Tomato
05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
His words "It's hard to lose weight when training for a marathon" made NO sense to me, and I bet not to anyone else either.

Yes, it makes sense to me now as well. However, wouldn't you think that Bob and Jillian should have known better? Bob threw a look at Jillian and said something that running is what people do to LOSE weight.

Eliana
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Yes, it makes sense to me now as well. However, wouldn't you think that Bob and Jillian should have known better? Bob threw a look at Jillian and said something that running is what people do to LOSE weight.

I thought that too, but I also thought they handled Melissa really poorly. NO, I'm not at all a Melissa fan, but I do not think she was playing the game with her crazy gains. I've been there myself and for no apparent reason. Maybe one week she was, but not every time and certainly not the last time that got her sent home.

happeningf
05-20-2010, 01:17 PM
I was so mad at Bob and Jillian saying that!

I trained for a half marathon and I could just tell I NEEDED more carbs for fuel.

It's simple, to run as much as he did, he needed to eat more than 1500 cals. And yes, he messed up by eating maybe crappy foods and late at night, but it's clear he was training pretty hard to be able to run the marathon in freaking 9 min miles!

I was discouraged to see that Mike gained a tiny bit and also that Sione gained, looks like he gained a gut. I met him in AZ and he was big but buff and tight, no belly whatsoever. And you could tell by the way Mike and Sione were pulling at their shirts they were trying to not let the wind hitting them show their gains (imo).

Koli seems out of shape, not a lot of muscle or tone. And he runs with bad form. He's also knock kneed so that's probably a big issue for him with running.

But they all did so great! Even just walking 26 miles is awful! ;)

I want Daris to win. He just did so amazing and he seems so sweet.

BTW does anyone think Michael is gay? Is he? Rude of me to assume..

Passionista
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM
BTW does anyone think Michael is gay? Is he? Rude of me to assume..

No more rude than assuming he is straight or bi!

happeningf
05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Whoa, great point!!!

ennay
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

In my experience personal trainers who do not specialize in endurance training do not understand the phenomenon at all. They SHOULD know better but they dont. And the phenomenon is more pronounced in people who were recently heavy. Skinny runnerly types have adapted.

The notion that 4 hours of high intensity exercise spread out in 4 sessions completely affects the body in a different way than 4 hours of moderate intensity exercise in one session and in ways almost reverse of what you would expect is a difficult one for many trainers who specialize in weight loss to grasp. (Just as it is equally hard for many running coaches to comprehend training for significant weight loss)

I'm doing a conditioning segment in my training right now. Training more like a biggest loser contestant and less like a marathoner. It's good for weight loss. I can eat less and burn the same # of calories a day. I can actually burn more. But if you threw me out there to run a marathon this weekend it would suck.

It is very hard for people to grasp that if I ran 7 miles in the morning at a 9 minute pace and 7 miles at lunch and 7 miles in the evening (21 total miles) I would be less hungry and less tired than if I ran 16 mile in one stretch at a 10 minute pace.

It is also hard to grasp that running 16 miles in one stretch will make me a better marathoner than running 21 miles in 3 runs. People have tried to divide the runs and it doesnt work. 2+2 = 2.5, maybe 3 at most.

PeanutsMom704
05-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I read another forum specifically about TV shows, and there is a lot of speculation that Michael is gay, but there is another school of thought that he is sort of asexual because he was so obese that he did not think of himself as a sexual person. I think that may be possible - a lot of the contestants talked quite a bit about how they'd never had a relationship and I don't recall seeing him saying anything. That could be because he considers his status private (whatever it is) or it could be that he felt so removed from even the concept of being in a relationship that it wasn't on his radar.

In any case, I liked him a lot right from the start, and I think he looks great now and will look even better when he's down a bit more in weight, so I wish him happiness with whoever his desired partner might be.

Total speculation below (highlight with your cursor to read)
Some people think he and Ashley could be an item. Too cute if it were the case!

ennay
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Seriously? I would guess his overall flamboyance is a contributing factor to the speculation, but I see his personality as more typical of the Chicago/Italian big loud family.

OrganizedChaos
05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I too was really disappointed at all the previous contestants last night that had obviously put on weight Ali looked good, Mike looked pretty good too, but Sione and Matt were definitely much heavier. More than disappointment is the depressing feeling that what they say is really true, and once I get to goal I won't be able to maintain it and will eventually re-gain it all. I have to believe I won't let that happen or I will go crazy over it.

Now, I was really happy to see Koli fall below the line. I don't care for the 'tude he has recently adopted or felt comfortable showing and I think it has now bit him in the backside. I also thought it was a bad idea to not really go home. The real challenge there was what happens to you when you are back home, not what happens when you are hiding in Las Vegas. I think that shows when you consider he did not finish that far ahead of Mike and Ashley who walked part of the marathon.

I feel bad for Daris because I am scared myself of having a binge eating moment. As long as he can learn from what happened I think he will be on the right track for the finale. I saw a picture of him recently running a race and he looked much thinner than this weeks show so I think he has got his rear back in gear.

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 04:05 PM

I, too, was very frustrated with Bob and Jillian. While BL is a weight loss competition, Daris is getting close to his healthy weight. And anyone with a bit of endurance training knowledge will tell you it is virtually impossible to lose weight while training for a marathon. People frequently gain weight during training as a result of increased muscle mass and consuming calories in the form energy gels and sports drinks. I, too, feel Daris' issues could have been better addressed had someone sat down with him and helped him devise an eating plan to match his activity levels. Regardless, I still love Daris and admire his work ethic...so I find myself fully on Team Daris. I'm in the camp who finds Koli's game play mentality too extreme, and I hope for his sake he doesn't end up gaining the weight back.

QuilterInVA
05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I voted for Koli. Daris will be gaining it all back in short order.

ennay
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I voted for Koli. Daris will be gaining it all back in short order.

If I had to bet on this I would completely take the opposite bet. Daris will get this under control. He loves running and once he gets a bit of balance he will figure it out. Koli will have no motivation once the confetti is gone.

Tomato
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
The thought of Nuclear Hair (I will affectionately call him NH forever ;)) being gay never crossed my mind ... but then again, I am a person who never assumes gay/straight/bi unless it is very obvious and screaming right in your face (what I have in mind is certain mannerisms of gay guys [although not all of them do that] like the "limp-wristing" (that what a gay son of a very good friend of mine calls that - and it's funny that he himself hates it).

I actually wondered, when I saw Michael and Ashley phoning each other and addressing each other as "shortcake" and "babe" if there is perhaps another romance budding ... they seem to be very good friends already so it could be a good spring-off board for a relationship. I would like the idea of the two of them together.

Hmm, gotta corner my BF and ask him how come he never calls ME a shortcake .... :club:

LitChick
05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Although Daris did turn to emotional eating, I do think his training impacted his weight loss.

I did a half marathon earlier this year and although I didn't alter my eating, my weight loss slowed considerably.

I had to smile when I heard Michael call Ashley 'shortcake' as that's my husband's (also named Mike) nickname for me. In fact, here's a pic of him holding the signs he made to cheer me on at the race.

LitChick
05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Oh, and if I have to hear Koli mention the confetti one more time, I think I will scream. If I was to place a bet, I'd say he will be one of those who regains the weight after the show - and motivation - is over.

saef
05-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I followed the show for about three seasons -- my first season watching was the season of Evil Vicky and Heba -- but somehow it lost me this year.

I tried to become fond of some contestant or another, but none of them inspired me the way Tara had in her season. And so I just gradually lost interest. The things about the show that had always grated on me really started bothering me. The embedded ads. My worries for the contestants' safety & health. The game-playing. I think I became less starry-eyed about Jillian, too, as she began hawking her supplements & other products on the side.

And I didn't crush on any of the guys. I liked Sam probably the best, but sometimes I did want him to just shut up for a moment. I do wish Daris well, but -- I never claimed to be really deep about TV show personalities -- something about his nose still bothers me, no matter how much weight he has lost. Michael's just a little too much of a doofus.

Ashley seems nice, but her personality never attracted me in the early part of the show.

The problem with this show is my usual issue with reality shows. The Nicest Person and the Person With the Most Interesting Character Arc aren't always the people who are left standing at the end as the most astute gameplayers or the ones who have lost the most weight. I want them to lose a lot of weight but I also want them to be likable, even heroic. In short, I want a fictional character, and reality shows just offer your everyday fallible people.

I can find heroines & heroes comparable to the Biggest Loser contestants all over 3FC, only they didn't lose their weight or become athletic on a ranch in a matter of just months & with celebrity trainers screaming at them while they puked over the side of the treadmill.

The main value of this show for me was watching fat people become athletic, and seeing them working out hard while still fat. It made the gym safe-looking for really fat people, when I had once imagined that the gym was reserved only for really fit people, and thus got me into one earlier than if I had put off joining till I was acceptably slender.

Amarantha2
05-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Exactly my point, life isn't fair and people will vote for who they like better and fairness doesn't come into the picture.

If Daris wins, IMO, that would not be fair IMO but since fairness has nothing to do with it, probably he will get the votes as he seems the more popular of the two men.

Well, fair or not fair, it's a VOTE. There is no fairness in votes. People will vote for who they like better. Not everybody is looking at it the same way we do.
Besides, let me tell you what I have witnessed many times - I am on a greyhound mailing list and often people enter a picture of their dog into a contest, and then they ask publicly on the mailing list that everybody votes for their pooch. Sometimes you look at the pictures and the number of votes the individual "contestants" have and it's clear people are pulling all sorts of string to their dog to win. You can see pictures with more or less even % of votes and then there would be one where numbers are sky high, I mean ridiculously high. It's like posting on Facebook "please vote for my dog" etc. (and it's not that greyhound people are crazy, other breed people do the same thing - cat owners probably too).
There will be people who will vote till their hands fall off. It has nothing to do with fairness.

Hun.e.B
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
The more I read this forum the more I hope its Koli. I started to not like his attitude at all...but then I remember 1. this is a game no matter how much we all want it to be about the journey its a game (its like people going on survivor and then being shocked when they get lied to and backstabbed(....and 2. you gotta believe you are champion before you can be champion. Koli is walkin the walk of the winner. I'm not really sure what the big deal is that he went off to focus on himself. Everyone else had the opportunity to do the same.

I really liked Daris till this last episode, and I still like him. I'm so impressed with his athleticism. But I dont think he's the biggest loser. Hes got mental issues that he hasnt conquered, and because of that I totally agree with the others who have said he's gonna gain it back. If he cant get his mental demons figured out, the running isnt gonna matter. He proved that with his 2 lb gain.

Im still rooting for Mike!

MindiV
05-21-2010, 07:51 AM
So if Mike wins the whole show...he'll most likely be a winner that's still overweight or obese. Has that happened before? I haven't seen all the seasons...

Tomato
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
I had to smile when I heard Michael call Ashley 'shortcake' as that's my husband's (also named Mike) nickname for me. In fact, here's a pic of him holding the signs he made to cheer me on at the race.

Hah! I LOVE your husband! Great cheering signs! Please give him a kiss for me. :D

happeningf
05-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Although Daris did turn to emotional eating, I do think his training impacted his weight loss.

I did a half marathon earlier this year and although I didn't alter my eating, my weight loss slowed considerably.

He's so adorable!!!

Hun.e.B
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
So if Mike wins the whole show...he'll most likely be a winner that's still overweight or obese. Has that happened before? I haven't seen all the seasons...

No, usually the winner looks sickly skinny. Alot of times the men winners are really muscular.

ennay
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I betcha mike will be both over weight AND look sickly skinny. The dehydration the contestants have been doing the last few seasons is insane. i mean you know they weigh back stage and the on stage weigh is for show and they still dont rehydrate enough to not look haggard. Or in Jerry's case (at home winner), retain brain function.

Heba came closest. If she hadnt been voted off she would have won that year and I think she was still borderline overweight although she lost a lot so maybe not. Maybe it was just the clear lack of bra that made me think so.

Wow. I am catty this morning. I should put that energy to good use and clean my house.

katkitten
05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I thought the same thing peanutsmom!!! it's because of that phone conversation they had. =0)

Also, the Daris gaining weight because he trained for a marathon thing made perfect sense to me and i was very frustrated that their trainers, with all their expertise, couldnt grasp what had happened. He probably did all the things a normal weight marathon training runner would do including carbo loading the day before. He didnt have the necessary knowledge to know how to train like that and still lose/avoid binging. I know from experience that working out really hard and long CAN instigate a binge. They should have been properly educated ahead of time because most info they are gonna find online about hardcore marathon training is NOT going to assume they have a goal of weight loss.

katkitten
05-21-2010, 06:46 PM
if Daris makes it he doesnt have a chance of winning the show. he is so skinny already. better for koli to make it so that Daris can vie for the at home prize.

loriehohlf
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know the current % of weight loss breakdown?

Mercy03
05-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know the current % of weight loss breakdown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Biggest_Loser:_Couples_3

All of the info for this season is there.

babygrant
05-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm still rooting for Ashley to win and Stephanie to win the at home prize. They are my favorite. I'm really hoping that Sam proposes to Stephanie at the finale. hehe. I love proposals. ;)

I think Koli needs to start calorie counting or something and not rely so much on the 8 hours of exercise a day. I think he'll gain a bunch of weight back.

LisaMarie71
05-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I haven't read the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned this, but I was surprised by Bob and Jillian's reaction when Daris blamed his weight gain on marathon training. Yes, you run to lose weight, but when you're focused on training for a race like that you have to eat more and it can mess things up a bit. He probably tried to keep his calories low even though he was running a kazillion miles a day, so he was crazy hungry and it led to binges. When I had lost 100 pounds, I trained for a half marathon, and I couldn't lose any weight while training because the running made me so hungry all the time that it all evened out. I had to wait until after the race to lose my last 10 pounds. So Daris went about it all wrong, yes, but he was really focused on the marathon and his focus paid off in one way -- he got an amazing time!

I was incredibly impressed that they all finished, especially Michael with the extra weight he's still carrying.

I don't really care who wins, but I'm kind of hoping it'll be Ashley. Or Michael. I don't know!

trekkiegirl
05-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Koli - 45.9%

Mike - 43.15%

Daris - 43.06%

Ashley - 43.04%

This is gonna be a close one! Mike and Ashley made up a lot of ground (no pun intended). I think they all have the potential to lose 50%, if not more, given the 6-week interval they had until the finale.

If Koli gets voted in, I think he may win because he's obsessed with winning. I can see another Helen in him.

If Daris is voted in, he can still eke out some more weight loss but it's going to be tough. But I'm not counting him out if he focuses on it (now that he doesn't have to think about a marathon).

Mike is in a great spot now. He's got 36 pounds to go to make it to 50%. He lost 23 in 4 weeks. He would basically have to duplicate plus half what he did in the month.

Ashley can't be counted out either. To get to 50%, she would have to be 187 (from 213), which is also to duplicate plus half her month.

Last season, we pretty much knew the horse race was between Danny & Rudy, neither Amanda nor Liz came close. But now...:ebike:

ennay
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Not that we ever get this follow up in a nugget form but my predictions for the future

Ashley maintains her weight loss. I think she has got the mind set and discovered joy. She'll have periods of struggle and may never be skinny, but she'll get it.

Koli regains a significant chunk without competition to motivate him.

Daris loves running. It will take him a while to figure out how to balance weight and running but those will be fluctuations in the 10-20 lb range at most and he will figure it out. Eventually he'll figure it out and go even lower in weight.

Mike will maintain most of his weight loss but not all. He will probably be overweight most of his life but will remain active and reasonably healthy. He will have periods of serious setbacks but will pick himself up and go again.

trekkiegirl
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I kind of agree with you, ennay.

I hope Mike gets some good opportunities out of this--speaking engagements, appearances, a job even. I think it would be good for both his self-esteem and to keep him on a steady track. For somebody his size to do what he did...yeah, he did it in record time in an ideal environment but he still had to make himself start and go on with it. There's a huge focus on food in Italian culture/families (I know) but, hopefully, his family will support rather than sabotage.

BTW...forgot to mention...loved his telling the girls on the marathon "your hot male escorts have arrived!" :D

LisaMarie71
05-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I'd say your predictions are right on the money, ennay. I can see that Daris is definitely all about the running now. That's what happened to me at some point (before I got pregnant and lost all my fitness!) I honestly didn't care as much about the number on the scale as I did about how many miles I could put in each week.

Tomato
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I realized this morning that I did not give Daris all 10 of my votes, but when I went to vote online, it gives me an error that I have my birth date has to be verified (no matter what I set it to). WTH?
But I guess it's too late anyway, did it close last week?
So he got only 4 of my votes - 3 online and I asked BF to send a text msg - I am on a pay-as-you-go cell so I can't do that.
Only one more day to finale.

PeanutsMom704
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't understand why the contestants go for that dehydrated thing for the finale - don't they weigh in ahead of time, just like for the WIs on the show? I can understand trying to cut weight for the WI itself (at least within the context of this being a contest with a lot of money at stake for what could be a minimal difference in weight). But surely they can drink something after that initial WI?? Or am I wrong, and when they get on the big scale on TV, that's the real WI?

ennay
05-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't understand why the contestants go for that dehydrated thing for the finale - don't they weigh in ahead of time, just like for the WIs on the show? I can understand trying to cut weight for the WI itself (at least within the context of this being a contest with a lot of money at stake for what could be a minimal difference in weight). But surely they can drink something after that initial WI?? Or am I wrong, and when they get on the big scale on TV, that's the real WI?

I'm sure they weigh in behind the scenes. I think it was Michelle who when she won was sporting some hefty looking earrings. I am guessing they go into a serious body builder type cut diet for a few days before the weigh in. Combo of VERY low cal/VERY high protein and then some dehydration to boot. It takes awhile to recover a healthy look from that. You can only absorb so much fluid so fast. A glass of water is not going to restore the face. I would think a minimum of 12 -24 hours of rehydrating SLOWLY to resaturate the less critical organs.

m3rma1d
05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Am I the only one who woke up today TOTALLY PSYCHED FOR TONITE??????
Ashley! :cheer: Daris! :cheer: Mike! :cheer:

Hope it's one of those 3 :)

Torister
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
No....you are NOT the only one! :carrot: I am *hoping* its Ashley...and I want to know about these romance rumors!! :cool:

Violin Jenn
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm also very excited! I think this is Mike's title to win or lose.

parkedout
05-25-2010, 12:33 PM
As far as episodes go, I usually DVR them and watch them commercial free the next day--but I have a date with Biggest Loser tonight!

:carrot:

I am REALLY hoping for Ashley to join the PINK ranks and bring in a win to join Alli, and Helen! (Although Helen looked awful in the finale in her year--this year on her guest appearance she is looking MUCH better!)

Oh, and I REALLY want to see how Shay did!

Tomato
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Am I the only one who woke up today TOTALLY PSYCHED FOR TONITE??????
Ashley! :cheer: Daris! :cheer: Mike! :cheer:

Hope it's one of those 3 :)

Nope, you are not the only one. TBL is all I think about every week on Tuesday. It's a double aged sword though - tonight, we will know who this season's winner is, but at 10:00 p.m. comes the agony of knowing the season is over and the wait for the next one. :(

m3rma1d
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
at 10:00 p.m. comes the agony of knowing the season is over and the wait for the next one. :(

Oh crap, I forgot about that :(:(:(:(:(

PeanutsMom704
05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm rooting for Mike but would also be very happy for Ashley. I am hoping Daris will be the other one in the final 3 - I think! I'm not sure if he would be eligible for the at home prize? So if he's eligible for that, he might actually do better not being F3.

interview with Danny http://www.realitywanted.com/newsitem/3301-the-biggest-loser-9-exclusive-follow-up-with-season-8-winner-danny-cahill

WardHog
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I am stupid excited for tonight!

MiniChick
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm extremely excited as well! I've been watching BL since the very first season. I also watched all the in-between shows, which I wish they would continue to do in between the regular series to help tide us over from one season to the next. :) Also, I don't understand why previous seasons are not being sold on dvd or for rent. Not that money matters to me, but I'm sure they care about how much money they make, and selling or renting previous seasons would make them so much money. Does anybody know why they have not done this? I would love to re-watch some of the previous seasons. I have caught some of the re-runs on tv, but I can't just sit and watch tv all day just to make sure I don't miss any of the re-runs.

Eliana
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Nope, you are not the only one. TBL is all I think about every week on Tuesday. It's a double aged sword though - tonight, we will know who this season's winner is, but at 10:00 p.m. comes the agony of knowing the season is over and the wait for the next one. :(

Yeah, but Jillian's new show starts next Tuesday. ;)

hhichick
05-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Go Sherry!!

MamaP
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Cheryl looks adorable. I was disappointed in Drea - I thought she would have done better.

hhichick
05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
OMG OMG OMG . . . Michael looks incredible. I think he's got it.

Cali Doll
05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
O'Neal looks freaking amazing!!!

Sunny does, too; however, I thought she'd have lost a bit more. I didn't like her dress either...it wasn't very flattering to her shape, IMO.

Ashley looks fantastic! So does Melissa!

Koli continues to bug me. He seems to have been in a weird mental place tonight. Clearly he was disappointed in not winning America's Vote, but he seemed to be acting oddly despite that. Oh, and I HATE what he's wearing!

Stephanie looks soooooo beautiful! So does Sherita (the Blue Mom)!!

Daris...Oh Daris....marry me! Dump Heather and pick me! :-)))) <333

Michael looks great, too! I hate that belt buckle, though. LOL!

Cali Doll
05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
YAY MICHAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) Way to go! *crying*

Awww, I'm so sad this season is over. This was probably my favorite season so far (of the 3 or 4 that I've seen).

findingfawn
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I missed the beginning.. so I guess I missed Shay from last season. How did she do on the Subway challenge? I'm dying to know!

gardend1va
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Somebody should have told Sam he looked like a cop stripper in that getup.

MamaP
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Koli would have won if he had been voted into the finals. I didn't catch what Darrell's percentage was ~ wonder if Daris would have beat him for the at home prize (Daris was 48.55%).

mizmizzy
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Watching the finale brought on the water works :P

Damn I am a sap but I am so extra motivated and inspired now! (:

trekkiegirl
05-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I knew Koli would have won had he been voted in, since that was apparently all that mattered to him. I'm glad that he wasn't, though--however he tried to explain it, his attitude was a turn-off. And I don't know what his problem was tonight--nervousness, bitter disappointment, whatever, but he showed no graciousness towards anyone at all--he can't even feign happiness for someone else. It made him come off as a sore loser. When he said he just wanted to go home, I was like, so go home! I don't know where this confidence or happiness he claims to have is--he always looks uncomfortable, shuffling around, his posture down, not looking at people (unless he tries to be loud and outrageous)...I think, unless he has somebody like Sam around to give him a kick, he's gonna backslide. Unfortunately, knowing he had lost over 45% just at the ranch made the at home competition kind of anti-climactic, since most of them weren't even close.

Contrast that to the 3 finalists...these guys were friends and they were genuinely happy for one another. They all looked fantastic. And Michael. Wow. He did it. He lost half his body weight, plus one! :carrot: And his mom looked great, too! Yay, Forza Italia!

Gotta tape Regis & Kelly tomorrow since Michael will be on!

hhichick
05-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I still can't believe Michael won! He looks amazing. It's hard to believe he weighed over 500 pounds 7 months ago.

And the pink team rocked it. I know they didn't win either prize, but they were serious contenders for both.

PeanutsMom704
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
So happy for Michael. All of the final 3 looked great, not even overly gaunt and dehydrated compared to Danny last year and Helen the year before.

I guess I'm glad Koli won the at home prize considering what he accomplished but man, something was very, very off about him.

Proof that BMI is pretty meaningless - Daris is still technically overweight. Not by a lot, but still. I know the men wear some sort of compression shirts underneath to help with loss skin, but even still, there was a lot of muscle on both of them and my guess is Daris's body fat is quite low now. Michael and Ash are both still obese per BMI, which is a little more realistic, they both still have a way to go, although that takes nothing away from their incredible transformation.

momof5k
05-26-2010, 12:52 AM
What was with Koli?!? The guy looked down right creepy. Downward eyes and hunched over shoulders...shuffling around....talking strangely. Was he so dehydrated he was delirious or what?!? WEIRD!!

I am SO happy for Michael! He looked amazing!

Daris...Oh my! He is SO cute! I hope he has found the happiness he deserves.

I am so sad the season is over. I am not sure why but I am not particularly psyched about Jillian's new show. Maybe it will surprise me though...we'll have to see :)

Cali Doll
05-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Yeah, Koli was acting like a nut...kinda like someone I would be concerned about being alone with.

Sam, at least, acts....well, human!

Oh, wasn't Ali adorable last night? You can tell the people she really has an affection for. I absolutely love her as host.

ladyrider72472
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I really think Koli has issues that WL will not help. I am not sure if he has some kind of serious depression or what..... he seems to want to isolate a lot. I cannot remember what week it was but he was wanting to "run" and they showed a bit of that last night, and there was another time that he wanted to isolate. I do feel badly for him. I hope if he has issues he can get them worked out.

Ashley did an awesome job, as did her mother.

I hope Mike can continue on. I was not a fan of his when he split the teams unevenly, but he seems to be a trooper. His mom did a great job at home as well. It seems that he and Ashley have a good bond.

I liked Melissa's hair...... but boy her face made her look older.

hhichick
05-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Mike's mom did look great. She was very pretty at the finale.

I'm still thrilled that he won - and at how wonderful he looked. I know he's not at what the docs would consider a goal weight (and it sounded like he intend to continue his loss) but he weighed 526 pounds 7 months ago - and now he's someone I'd describe as a "big" guy.

Eliana
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Koli strikes me as very introverted, something 6/7/8 months of weight loss is not going to correct. He's probably still stunned at himself. I know I would be. I think he just wasn't handling the lights and cameras as well as the others.

I was amazed by Sherry! It's really very unfair the way they choose the biggest loser. It SHOULD by all accounts be about final BF%. Sherry could not have won because she had less to lose. The show rewards those who were bigger to start with.

Tomato
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I will try to remember all those things I wanted to post as I watched the finale last night.

I loved Alison's dress. But I have to admit that sometimes she seems chubby to me and at other times slim. I don't get it. I would have loved her dress but it's not made for bigger boobs. So there I go.

Michael's mom looked awesome.
I was upset, for some unknown reason, seeing Ashley's mom (was it Sheri?) so close to winning the at home prize. I never liked her much and those feelings itensified as the season progressed. I was glad that she was ousted by Darrell (great job, Darrell, BTW!).
I expected Drea to do better as well.
Miggy looked great, too.
Cheryl - OMG - she was SO CUTE!

Stephanie looked gorgeous!!! I was a bit worried when they showed her briefly (when Sam went off the ranch) as it seemed to me she still had a lot to lose. Whoever was doing the makeup last night did a great job.

Melissa MORGAN looked stunning! Loved her dress as well. I actually wished for Melissa to win the at home prize (anybody but Sheri).

Koli - I was never that upset by his attitude but I could not get what was going on with him last night. But I am sure it must VERY tough to find out on a live finale, in front of so many people, that America gave her vote to somebody else. I hope, for his sake, that he will be able to work out whatever issues he has. I wish him well.

Sam - didn't care for his outfit either.

I was rooting for Daris, but only lightly. I think I knew that he would not be able to beat Michael or Ashley. But I have to say I would have been happy for any of those three to win. They all worked very hard and I am incredibly proud of them all.
Michael looked amazing. I am very happy for him.

But, I was disappointed that they did not show anything about the three finalists (I mean how they spent the time at home - I know it was partly covered last week) - but at least they should have showed a bit more Michael, after it was revealed he was TBL, instead of ending the show.

parkedout
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Somebody should have told Sam he looked like a cop stripper in that getup.

My husband said the EXACT same thing. And who picked out those pink pants for Koli. UGH.

For whoever asked about Shay: She lost an additional 52 pounds, but they left the check blank again for the new challenge. Which is her and Jarred (from Subway) will be training to run a marathon in a few months and they will double her check.

She accepted. And she looked AWESOME! Her face is really coming out and she is going to be stunning when she is done. She's already pretty.:)

findingfawn
05-26-2010, 10:43 AM
My husband said the EXACT same thing. And who picked out those pink pants for Koli. UGH.

For whoever asked about Shay: She lost an additional 52 pounds, but they left the check blank again for the new challenge. Which is her and Jarred (from Subway) will be training to run a marathon in a few months and they will double her check.

She accepted. And she looked AWESOME! Her face is really coming out and she is going to be stunning when she is done. She's already pretty.:)

Thank you!! I have searched all morning to try to find out, figured worst case I would have to catch the replay on Friday on FLN. 52 pounds is really great!!! If I'm home on Friday I will catch what I missed, but won't worry now if I don't!

Oh and yeah I was thinking cop stripper too :-P

PeanutsMom704
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
re: Shay. Yes, drop dead gorgeous. I mean, she was pretty before, but I wasn't expecting her to look that beautiful. And I think she's working and doing normal stuff, so a 52 lb loss in 5 months is great!! But nice that she'll have a chance to double it by training for a marathon. She's already a lot lighter than Michael was when he did the BL one, so I think she'll do great.

I did think all the moms looked great, although Patti still has a weird belly thing, which makes me nervous because I'm an apple shape and I feel like I'm never going to loose my belly either. But for a bunch of women in their 50s and 60s (I think?), woohoo for all of them!

Drea was definitely a disappointment - only 8 lbs from the time she left the show until the finale. In comparison, Melissa left the week before and lost 32 lbs. (and I did think she looked great). Only Melissa, Miggy, Sherry and Koli made it into BMI-normal range.

I was a bit surprised about John and James still being as big. I mean, in the real world, their losses for this time period are fantastic, but in the world of the show, it seems like such a small loss. Hopefully, they will both keep going.

I was surprised they didn't weigh that one guy - Ali said he had lost about 150 lbs and he definitely looked a lot better but they had been promoting that he'd have a WI. I would have been willing to trade off one less time seeing Ashley fall off the treadmill in exchange! lol!

Tomato
05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I would have been willing to trade off one less time seeing Ashley fall off the treadmill in exchange! lol!

Yeah, and also I would not mind if they stopped saying about Daris that he never had a relationship and never had been kissed. Enough already!!!!

m3rma1d
05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's my random thoughts... Hope I remember everything!
(Disclaimer: these are my opinions and some may not be sugar-coated. When I say I don't like someone, it's not them as a person, it's what they came across as on my TV that I don't like.)

I was VERY HAPPY to see Ali's boobs covered up. When she has them hanging out it makes me feel uncomfortable the whole time watching the show, knowing my BF is drooling over her massive cleavage. Last night I got to watch without thinking about that. (Yeah I'm very insecure, so what?)

I can't stand Koli. SO happy when Daris beat him for the votes, I screamed "YES!" and "WHOOHOO!" a lot at the TV.

I was really surprised Shay didn't lose more. Then again I don't like her either, so maybe I'm just being mean.

I predicted that the twins would still be huge, and I was right. They seem like nice guys and I don't dislike them, but I could never understand how they got through casting. They have the personality of cardboard. No passion.

Drea was another personality-of-cardboard type to me, so I wasn't shocked to see that she didn't go further. Same lack of passion as the twins, tho maybe not as severe as them.

Really :mad: when Koli won the "At-Home" prize. Was he ACTUALLY AT HOME this time? Boo to him. I yelled bad words at the TV.

I love Ashley, Daris and Mike--So I didn't care who won as long as it was one of them. And it was, so YAY!

I'm sure I have many more thoughts, but that's enough for now :p

MindiV
05-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Felt the same way about Koli, m3rma1d...don't you have to be AT home to win the AT HOME prize? Not training with professional or wanna-be professional fighters and hiding from life?

time2lose
05-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know how long the season lasted in real life? About 7 months? Fantastic amount of weight loss in a short time.

Am I imagining it or do you think there is something romantic between Ashley and Mike? It looks to me that there is something going on between the two of them. I first noticed it last week.

Tomato
05-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Felt the same way about Koli, m3rma1d...don't you have to be AT home to win the AT HOME prize? Not training with professional or wanna-be professional fighters and hiding from life?

Mindi, I don't know about that. I think AT HOME = OFF THE RANCH.
I think it's up to each contestant how they decide to proceed. But this is just my own assumption, completely unverified. I don't know if there are any rules that state what the contestants are/are not allowed to do when off the ranch.

The twins seem like nice guys and I don't dislike them, but I could never understand how they got through casting. They have the personality of cardboard. No passion.

LOL at the personality of cardboard. :D I actually started to watch the season when only one twin was on the show [John?] but I agree that the passion was not there.

Am I imagining it or do you think there is something romantic between Ashley and Mike? It looks to me that there is something going on between the two of them. I first noticed it last week.

You know, I kinda thought the same, when they were 'shortcake here' and 'babe there' in the last episode but then I watched how they were sent to change into their weigh in outfits and Michael was walking down the stairs (backstage) already ripping off his jacket while Daris was, very knight-ly, helping Ashley navigate the stairs. I would have thought if there was any budding romance between Nuclear Hair and Ash it would have been him helping her instead of Daris. Again, JMHO.

ennay
05-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I dont think there really is anything. And seriously that belt buckle, wayyy too tight jeans and leather jacket on Mike. ummm...I am not in the group speculating about anyone's orientation, but seriously, it DID look like something the village people would wear.

Passionista
05-26-2010, 12:36 PM
I dont think there really is anything. And seriously that belt buckle, wayyy too tight jeans and leather jacket on Mike. ummm...I am not in the group speculating about anyone's orientation, but seriously, it DID look like something the village people would wear.

Village people? Hello? SAM'S outfit was straight outta 1970's gay fantasy porno!

PeanutsMom704
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I'll admit that I do speculate and was definitely on the "oh, he's SO gay!" bench after last night. It wasn't even just the clothes, there was a lot in the way he acted that pinged my gaydar.

Well, either way, if he's not currently partnered, I'm sure he'll have no problem finding someone now!

time2lose
05-26-2010, 02:02 PM
LOL - "gaydar" Mine is non-functioning. :)

happeningf
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Michael looked handsome in the face, but OMG that outfit!!!!!!!!!!

he had camel toe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looked like girl jeans, and his vneck tucked in WAY tight, and that belt, and that size small leather jacket that you know he can't close. Him and Sam were LOL status! Sam's hair was awful and he didn't look at sexy as he used to.

I personally adored Koli's outfit! And to me, his personality and the way he acted after winning is just his Tongan Way! Go Koli!!!

Hun.e.B
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree...Go Koli! I'm so glad he got the at home price he was afterall the biggest loser. I dont get what the big deal is where he spent his at home time. At home means off the ranch. He had the option to take that time and spend it focusing on himself. Wouldnt it be nice if we all had that opportunity. Every other contestant had the same choice to make and didnt. I just think he needs a big hug...I hope he can find happiness and put a real smile on that face.

Amarantha2
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
I also wish they'd start putting out the previous seasons on DVD.

StraitLover
05-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Who in the world picked out Ashley's dress??? When you have a ton of skin hanging down halfway to your knees, you don't wear a fitted dress. She should ahve looked so much better in an A-line or something not so clingy from hips to knees.

OrganizedChaos
05-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I thought Koli looked squirrely last night. He just seemed off. Sam seemed like he always was, but I did have the same thoughts about his outfit and I hated his hair. It is always depressing to me to see all the saggy skin, makes me realize that I will be faced with the same issue WHEN I get close to goal.

As far as Koli and his not really going home. For me, I always thought the purpose of being sent home, was to go back to real life and see if you can continue or even maintain what you have done while on the ranch. Let's face it we all know how hard real life is and god knows I would love that opportunity, but if the challenge is can you go back to your daily routine and still lose weight, he didn't. He did however do what he had to do to win the 100 grand. Funny thing is that if he had been voted in to the final 3, Daris would have won the at home prize and he would have beat Mike.

trekkiegirl
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Found a great interview with Mike here:
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2010/05/biggest-loser-michael-talks-we.php

And this part ought to answer a few questions:

Is there anything going on romantically between you and Ashley? You two were very flirty during the finale.
Ventrella: No. We're flirty with each other, but that's our relationship. I had a friend who passed away last year -- her name was Janine, she was my high school sweetheart and just a beautiful girl -- and her and Ashley share so many characteristics. They look the same, they're both blonde, they're both vibrant young women. When I lost Janine, there was a void, and when I met Ashley, it was like she was reincarnate.

And we have such a strong friendship! We're loud, we flirt, we joke around, and we like getting a rise out of people when they ask if we're dating -- we look at each other and just giggle. But if it ever went past that, it would just ruin it. We've both talked about it, and we're obviously attracted to one another physically, characteristically, emotionally, mind, soul and spirit, but it's just one of those things that if it went past that, it just wouldn't work.

Cali Doll
05-26-2010, 07:06 PM

You aren't alone. I got an extremely gay vibe from Michael last night.

girlonfire
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/05/26/biggest-loser-winner-michael-ventrella-loves-ashley-johnston/

Awwwwwwwwww. I hope that is a legit report; they are super cute together!

Violet73
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
I hated what Michael was wearing...but like a lot of people...they lose tons of weight and their fashion sense goes downhill. I hope when I lose all the weight I want that I will know what looks good on me :P

Koli does seem shy. He and Sam just did not have the same Tongan appeal the Filipe and Sione had...I mean those guys were entertainment! It looked to me that Sam has actually gained some weight since the last time we saw him? Did it look that way to anyone else?

I really like Sheri and was rooting for her to win the at-home prize! She looks great! Darrell and Drea just always seemed kinda blah to me. I thought lots of them looked really good...but Melissa was way too dehydrated looking...blah...

I applaud them all for losing a lot of weight. I do wish the show would be more fair and have people with similar BMIs and such. I mean Michael was the largest and is still overweight but won. He worked hard..he did...but how is someone who is 200-something pounds supposed to compete with that? They need to alternate every year with different BMI categories or only 200 pounders or 300 pounders...etc... IDK...

Meenamom
05-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Watching him win My GAYDAR went bing bing bing....I didn't really see it until last night, him and Ashley just bonded as friends He is Flaming....I am Glad he won

LOL The Beltbuckle should have given it away

RayStar
05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I was not impressed with Shay's weight loss. Unless the time frame is different, I expected more from her.
Koli does seem like he may need counseling. ASAP I also don't think it was fair to the other contestants for him to win the at home prize. He was on the ranch until the end.

mizski
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Watching him win My GAYDAR went bing bing bing....I didn't really see it until last night, him and Ashley just bonded as friends He is Flaming....I am Glad he won

LOL The Beltbuckle should have given it away

The boots did it for me. I don't know though after that interview about Ashley reminding him of his past girlfriend. Could it be that after being so huge for so long and never having much of a choice in clothes that he just liked that outfit?

I will have to lose more than half my SW to get to goal and I've often thought of some clothes that I always wanted to wear but never could. Trouble is that now I'm much older so if I wear any of them I'll probably look like a doofus. A straight doofus though. :D

ennay
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
The boots did it for me. I don't know though after that interview about Ashley reminding him of his past girlfriend. Could it be that after being so huge for so long and never having much of a choice in clothes that he just liked that outfit?

I will have to lose more than half my SW to get to goal and I've often thought of some clothes that I always wanted to wear but never could. Trouble is that now I'm much older so if I wear any of them I'll probably look like a doofus. A straight doofus though. :D

This is true. I mean once after a weight loss I went back and put on the jeans I had been saving. Hello 80's flashback.

Maybe this what he wanted to wear in highschool.

trekkiegirl
05-28-2010, 11:59 AM
The Sunshine/Koli relationship is confirmed:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15175610?nclick_check=1

Geez, this season must set a record for hook-ups and attractions!

Reading Michael's interviews and seeing him on the morning shows and finale interview, I think he's gonna do great. He said his new regimen is second nature to him now and that his weight might fluctuate because he's going to try to build up muscle. I'm not concerned about him backsliding at all, not significantly at any rate. Aw....and he's going to buy his mother a nostalgic car, something similar to what she had when she was younger. :^:

MiniChick
05-28-2010, 12:17 PM
The Sunshine/Koli relationship is confirmed:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15175610?nclick_check=1

Well, that probably explains the real reason he didn't stay home after he left the ranch. The article said that they were training together in Las Vegas after leaving the ranch. Since they were trying to keep their relationship under wraps, Koli had to have some reason for not staying home, so I'm guessing that's why he gave the other reason for not staying home. I'm still sad that he didn't seem able to enjoy the rest of the evening after not making it to the finale. He was so excited and thrilled before they revealed who made it to the finale, and as soon as he didn't make it in his mood went downhill. I really hope he can let go, move on, and not let it continue to bug him, and potentially allow that let down to affect his ongoing progress.

trekkiegirl
05-28-2010, 03:14 PM
You know, it's been interesting and quite telling to read some of their interviews. Michael and Daris seem confident and committed to being healthy and maintaining weight loss, they talk about their plans. Koli, on the other hand, says that he has to figure it out for himself now that the show is over, like he's not really sure of a plan because he's been too focused on winning. I think I know what bugged me about his attitude on the finale. He was so into wanting to win and focused on himself that he acted as if the rest of the show was a waste of his time. He acted like he was waiting in a long line for everybody else to be over with so he could have his turn and then "go home."

PeanutsMom704
05-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I have to admit that I'm a bit sorry to hear about Koli and SunShine. She has a lot of growing up to do, and I think she'd be better served with some time to figure out who she is as an adult woman instead of daddy's little girl. Right now, it seems like she's going from being under O'Neal's control to being under Koli's control and I don't know when she's going to learn to be under SunShine's control.

And honestly, if they were training together, it makes me wonder why she only lost 15 lbs in the time she was off the ranch. Don't get me wrong, for a "normal" person, 15 lbs in that amount of time is fine. But if she and Koli were together doing hardcore training, I'd think she'd do better than 15 in the same amount of time that he lost 43. It makes me suspect that their relationship was about her supporting his efforts rather than it being a true mutual partnership. Think about it - back on the ranch, there was a scene between the two of them about how they would finish 1 and 2, but of course, he was going to be number 1.

Tomato
05-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Darn, I can't get to the site with the interview re Koli and Sunshine. It just opens a blank page.
I tried to google up something about their budding romance but I am coming up with zero hits. (i.e. zero useful hits).

Fairy Doll
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
^^^ Here ya go...

'Biggest Loser' wasn't all about losing: Richfield contestant SunShine Hampton found romance

When SunShine Hampton signed up to be on "The Biggest Loser" with her dad, O'Neal, her goal was to lose weight. What the Richfield woman didn't expect was that she would find someone special as the pounds were coming off.

Not only did SunShine, 24, drop the weight she went from 275 pounds to 161 pounds, and her dad O'Neal went from 389 to 230 pounds she also fell for fellow contestant Koli Palu. And while it was revealed on the show that Palu's teammate and cousin Sam Poueu was part of a "Biggest Loser" romance with contestant Stephanie Anderson, SunShine and Palu decided to kept their budding relationship under wraps until now.

On Thursday, in between local appearances that included a stop at General Mills and the Mall of America, SunShine with some good-natured prodding from her dad admitted she's been in a relationship with Palu since just after Christmas.

"He's a very good man," said SunShine, 24, who confessed at the beginning of the show that she had never had a boyfriend. "I knew the way he saw things was the same way I saw things. I could really relate to him on that level and we both had the same determination and goals. I just felt really good about it."

After losing 215 pounds, Palu snagged the "at home winner" $100,000 prize on Tuesday's "Biggest Loser" finale.

Currently, SunShine is in Minnesota, while Palu resides in California. But during the time between being eliminated from the show and this week's
finale, they were busy training together in Las Vegas.

"We haven't done the long-distance thing yet, but we're willing to support each other through it," said Sunshine. There'll be a lot of phone calls I guess."

Her dad's thoughts on his daughter's new boyfriend?

"I'm taking the protective role," says O'Neal, who lost enough weight on the show that he can now have a much needed knee surgery he wasn't able to undergo at nearly 400 pounds. "I just want to make sure it's exactly what it is. On the ranch is one thing, but they've been off the ranch for quite awhile. I think they have strong feelings for each other, we'll just have to see. It's just a dating thing."

Tomato
05-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks a millions, Fairy!

Fairy Doll
05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Sunshine is also featured in the latest US Weekly. I unfortunately do not have a scanner but here is a bit on her current eating habits and exercise plans:

Eating: Then vs Now

Then (8,000 calories):

Mid-Morning Snack
Scone and mocha latte

Lunch:
Burger, fries, shake; later: sandwich, chips.

Dinner
Chicken Alfredo, later; candy bar, frozen pizza, ice cream.

Now: (1,250 calories)

Breakfast
Egg white omelet with veggies, wheat toast

Lunch
Tuna salad with low-fat Caesar dressing.

Dinner
White fish (sea bass, tilapia) with veggies.

Exercise (excerpt)

To find Hampton these days you've got to hit the gym! She exercises six hours a day, including a 5-mile stroll in the morning, a group fitness or boxing class in the afternoon and a treadmill walk on an incline or a swim at night.

(Once she hits her goal of 150 pounds, she plans to scale back to two-hour workouts.) 'Now I'm like, Look at me! Look at what I've done!" says Hampton, who just invested in her first pair of skinny jeans. "I have a new self-confidence I take with me everywhere I go!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This season was the most I have watched of the show. I am happy for the 2 big winners, Michael & Koli and all of those who really worked hard to change their lives. :carrot:

Fairy Doll
05-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks a millions, Fairy!

No problem. :)

WSN
05-29-2010, 10:38 AM
This was the first season I watched this show and really just watched all the episodes in the last couple weeks before the finale on Hulu. I really fell in love with it, it was much different than I thought. I had never watched it because I figured it was just gimmicky and dumb like all other reality shows. And while I know there are some valid criticisms of the way they have people lose weight on the show, but in reality it is simply emphasizing on the most important things - exercise, nutrition, and emotional awareness. When most people think of fast weight loss as being a bad thing it is because in the real world fast weight loss is usually achieved through virtual starvation. However in this show, while they were eating very light, it wasn't dangerously low. I think it was Sam who mentioned the diet they had him on was 1,800 calories a day (not including his high-calorie day). His was one of the highest I believe, while some of the smallest girls are on 1,200 calories I think. The biggest emphasis on the ranch is on exercise, and I think that is where most overweight people fail the most. I've read over and over again that the biggest predictor of whether someone will both successfully lose weight and successfully keep it off is whether they regularly exercise.

Anyway, as far as this season goes since it was the first season I watched it is my favorite (I've started watching season 7 now as well since a friend had a copy of it). For most of the season I didn't think Michael would be the type of person who would keep his weight off, he never seemed to find a passion for exercise. However I now think I was wrong. He has put on so much muscle and seems to have fallen in love with lifting weights. It may not be as effective a calorie burner as running but if he sticks with lifting weights and can even eat moderately healthy he should be ok.

Daris was my favorite by far. He just seemed to develop more than anyone else, not just in weight loss but more importantly in finding a passion for exercising. I think he pushed himself more than any other contestant and I think he will continue to do so.

trekkiegirl
05-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I had never watched it because I figured it was just gimmicky and dumb like all other reality shows.

It has its moments, lol. ;) Particularly the frequent ad placements complete with bad acting.

The biggest emphasis on the ranch is on exercise, and I think that is where most overweight people fail the most.

I think the exercise is what people criticize the most, as opposed to the diet--specifically, that it's a case of too much, too soon to throw obese, inactive people into hardcore exercise regimens. Last season started off with the contestants walking/running a mile and 2 of them were hospitalized, one for an extended period of time.

Anyway, as far as this season goes since it was the first season I watched it is my favorite (I've started watching season 7 now as well since a friend had a copy of it).

Ah, season 7--Tara, Mike, the Ronfather.... :p That was the longest season of all, I think it was like 20 weeks. My first season was five (Ali Vincent's season). That was also the first season they had couples as opposed to individuals, and the first season they did America voting for the 3rd finalist.

For most of the season I didn't think Michael would be the type of person who would keep his weight off, he never seemed to find a passion for exercise. However I now think I was wrong. He has put on so much muscle and seems to have fallen in love with lifting weights. It may not be as effective a calorie burner as running but if he sticks with lifting weights and can even eat moderately healthy he should be ok.

ITA. I've enjoyed reading/seeing his interviews. He did mention on Regis there's an inherited degenerative knee disorder in his family, so that's probably why running is not a big thing for him.

I don't know about the whole question of his being gay. Doesn't sound like it from the things he's said. Plus, there are a lot of young Italian guys who dress like he did at the finale. I think it's some kind of Arthur Fonzarelli wish going on. :p

LisaMarie71
05-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Yep, my criticism of the show has always been the exercise, especially since they don't really show us that much of the diet, it seems, so I never really know what they're eating. Taking an extremely obese person and making them run on a treadmill at a ridiculously high speed is kind of crazy. I'm extremely surprised there aren't more injuries. That said, I'd love to have the chance to live on the ranch and work out all day and lose a kazillion pounds a week! Of course, then you go back to real life and you can't work out all day long.

ennay
05-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Yep, my criticism of the show has always been the exercise, especially since they don't really show us that much of the diet, it seems, so I never really know what they're eating. Taking an extremely obese person and making them run on a treadmill at a ridiculously high speed is kind of crazy. I'm extremely surprised there aren't more injuries. That said, I'd love to have the chance to live on the ranch and work out all day and lose a kazillion pounds a week! Of course, then you go back to real life and you can't work out all day long.

I would LOVE to go to the ranch and have Jillian beat the crap out of me for awhile.

Plus they only show only the most extreme parts of the workouts. OK, maybe they do these intense sprints (on treadmills that I HIGHLY question the calibration) but what you dont see is the hours spent at lower effort. And at least on the last couple season they have shown brief flashes of the therapy room. They are iced and taped and stretched out and etc.

If I had a Physical Therapist at my beck and call it would work wonders.

suzie76
05-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Does the article about Sunshine mean she is currently at home exercising six hours a day? How would someone keep that up? I don't think that is realistic at all. If you have a job and/or kids, that would be impossible.

I'd love to see a contestant maintain the weight in a realistic way, like an hour of exercise a day, five times a week, and also see what they are eating each day.

Sherry

MiniChick
05-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Does the article about Sunshine mean she is currently at home exercising six hours a day? How would someone keep that up? I don't think that is realistic at all. If you have a job and/or kids, that would be impossible.

I'd love to see a contestant maintain the weight in a realistic way, like an hour of exercise a day, five times a week, and also see what they are eating each day.

Sherry

My impression is that she's still exercising 6 hours a day to continue losing weight until she gets to her goal weight. She probably doesn't want to slow down the weight loss process if there's no reason to. I'm guessing that once she gets to maintenance she'll probably cut back on her exercise.

trekkiegirl
05-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Bwahahaha....Michael tweeted this to Jillian: :p

CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW DAMN BEAUTIFUL YOU WERE FINALE?!?!!? Wanna go on a date? I let ya check if my abs are showing yet? Ha

spygirl05
06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Yay for Michael and Koli! I do think Koli did get cocky near the end but he did work his butt off consistently I think. I was surprised most people voted for Daris considering he binged that one night and gained 2 pounds, I don't understand why everyone voted for behavior like that. He did do good with his marathon, which I think won over most people. Koli is very determined, both he and Sam which was really inspiring for me. Michael did great! He looks like a whole new person. He was rockin' the blinged-out skull belt. lol. I look foward to hearing if he keeps up with his routine and reaches a weight he wants to be at, or at least reaches a healthier lifestyle. Both my husband and I really got into this season, very inspiring all around.

MiniChick
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure that I like viewers getting to vote in the 3rd finalist. I'm feeling like the 3rd finalist should be there based on their own work and effort, not because of a popularity vote. I mean, really, we know they struggle with self-image and acceptance issue - they all talk about that on the show - and then they end up having to deal with a HUGE popularity vote. It makes me wonder now how much of Koli's reaction and attitude was him trying not to be hurt and upset that he was not "picked". I'm not sure that he's mentally at a place yet where he can accept not being chosen without taken it personally. I don't know, maybe I'm off, but their excitement at the finale doesn't take away any underlying sense of insecurity that still exists. What do you all think?

MamaP
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I was surprised most people voted for Daris considering he binged that one night and gained 2 pounds, I don't understand why everyone voted for behavior like that.

I think that people voted for Daris because of his overall success and attitude. I, for one, am glad that he was not penalized for making a mistake "one night" - a mistake that he admitted and worked very hard to correct. I didn't vote because I liked both Daris and Koli for different reasons and felt that they both deserved to be in the finals.

MamaP
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Bwahahaha....Michael tweeted this to Jillian: :p

CAN WE TALK ABOUT HOW DAMN BEAUTIFUL YOU WERE FINALE?!?!!? Wanna go on a date? I let ya check if my abs are showing yet? Ha

I think Michael has some serious issues . . .

trekkiegirl
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure that I like viewers getting to vote in the 3rd finalist. I'm feeling like the 3rd finalist should be there based on their own work and effort, not because of a popularity vote. I mean, really, we know they struggle with self-image and acceptance issue - they all talk about that on the show - and then they end up having to deal with a HUGE popularity vote. It makes me wonder now how much of Koli's reaction and attitude was him trying not to be hurt and upset that he was not "picked". I'm not sure that he's mentally at a place yet where he can accept not being chosen without taken it personally. I don't know, maybe I'm off, but their excitement at the finale doesn't take away any underlying sense of insecurity that still exists. What do you all think?

We don't know that it wouldn't have been a popularity vote anyway. Had it been done the usual way (without a red line), it would have been left up to Michael and Ashley to vote someone out and they would have voted Koli out anyway. I remember the first year they did the viewer vote--season 5--Ali Vincent and Kelly were looking forward to voting out Roger and keeping Mark. They were totally shocked and dismayed it went to the viewers--who ended up doing the opposite.

I think Michael, Ashley and Daris are going to be just fine. I like Michael's sense of humor. Considering Jillian offscreen was calling him peanut and poking him, I don't think his Twitter humor was off at all--Jillian seems pretty touchy-feely with contestants she gets along with. Koli is the one I think can't seem to get a handle on himself. He seems to need a lot of external validation or motivation, an incentive outside of himself. Maybe he should have watched the show before and taken note of "the Heba effect"--it was his own mouth that did him in (although I do wonder even without that if he would have won against any of the other 3 in a popular vote--they were all pretty likeable).

On the other hand, I think Daris knew or suspected all along, he would have a hard time beating both M & A, or even just one of them. But I think it meant more to him to finish and be one of the final 3 rather than to be the winner. Not that he wouldn't have liked it but he'd already gotten what he really wanted.

PeanutsMom704
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
and it's not just the final top 3 contestant - the entire season relies on a popularity contest between the members of the lowest loss team or the two people who lost the least.

I personally would be happy if there was always a red line every week, and the lowest person went. But that isn't the way the show is structured, so it is what it is.

nicolejoy
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I think Micheal is so cute!! And his bling'd out belt buckle was straight from Jersey Shore- it was hysterical for the finale but I would love to take him on a shopping trip and be his stylist for "real life"!!!

MiniChick
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
We don't know that it wouldn't have been a popularity vote anyway. Had it been done the usual way (without a red line), it would have been left up to Michael and Ashley to vote someone out and they would have voted Koli out anyway.

Well, yes, but that's part of the game for them. I would think it's another ball of wax completely to have a whole country voting you out.

trekkiegirl
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
BTW, Jillian tweeted that today was the first day of taping BL 10. It's another couples season. I think the producers like doing couples for the same reason Jillian seems to hate them--more drama! :p

Hun.e.B
06-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, yes, but that's part of the game for them. I would think it's another ball of wax completely to have a whole country voting you out.

I agree...a couple of people is one thing...a whole country is another. And especially for someone who already has such low self esteem. I wish Koli the best! I hope he finds his self worth. And hopefully he's not reading message boards, it shocks me how cruel people can be to someone they dont know beyond the tv screen. I'm guilty of it myself, just makes me sad to see someone so broken get bashed. I think he needs a hug LOL

Passionista
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd give Koli all the hugs he needs!!! Michael too. :)

PeanutsMom704
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
good interview with Michael. There is a section where he talks about his sister and also, a conversation he had with Mike Morelli about Max. Very interesting.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2010/05/biggest-loser-michael-talks-we.php

trekkiegirl
06-20-2010, 11:12 PM
So I'm reading Michael's Facebook page and someone jokes to him that he should be the next "Bachelor" and he responds:

"Well... I'm waiting to see what happens with a certain "Pink Ninja" if you catch my drift. lol but so far I AM single.
I'm all about HOPE... so keep your fingers crossed. ~M~"
:p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Too cute.

He also posted about the triathlon next month that a bunch of former BL contestants will be doing:

http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/blog/2010/06/17/biggest-loser-former-contestants-reunite-for-triathlon/

And Danny Cahill posted that he had his surgery (to remove his excess skin) and that he's going to appear on next season's first episode.

trekkiegirl
08-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Okay...file this one under the weird heading....

Ashley and Koli are a couple!

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/08/biggest-losers-ashley-and-koli-on-love-weight-and-the-biggest-loser-resort/

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Wonder what Sunshine and O'Neal think now!

Michael's postings on FB def show he was hoping but I had the feeling he was more into her than she was into him. But I think Michael doesn't seem to have much to worry about. The ladies seem to want to line up for him, lol.

JMfan
08-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Ash and Koli?! Really?! Well, that one just blindsided me!

Violet73
09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
does anyone know when the new season starts?

OrganizedChaos
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
does anyone know when the new season starts?

Season 10 begins Tuesday Sept 21st. Can't wait!

Violet73
09-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Season 10 begins Tuesday Sept 21st. Can't wait!
Thanks SOOO much! I can't wait! :)

dewdrop1970
09-08-2010, 10:43 AM
You can check out the TBL10 contestants pix & bios at www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants

*~Can't wait for the season premiere either~*

I've read all the bios and have picked a few of my faves so far. The fact that a lot of these contestants have had previous weight loss surgeries is interesting to me. And some of the bios are tugging at my heart strings already. I guess I am going to have to keep the kleenex handy this season again!