Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163.5/138.5/130

Height: 5'2

Question Caloric intake too low?

I posted this in WW but didn't get any responses so I will try here. I am doing WW. Points system. About 10 days in - have lost 4lbs (since my weigh in last week - won't weigh again until Friday).

I am sticking to my allotted points (21 now - 22 when I started - not counting the flex points which I don't use ALL of but I do use some *about 15 spread throughout the week*)

In tracking my points I am also tracking my calories and fat, daily. I am taking in consistently under 1,000 calories per day and no more than 20g of fat per day.

This seems off - but I am not hungry - and staying within my point range.

Keep in mind - I do not track the calories of my zero point foods - which tend to be a snack of green veggies (sliced cucumbers for example) or my dinner side (usually steamed broccoli - one serving) - So my calories might rise slightly above the 1k mark, but not by much.

How can I get a few more calories without breaking the points bank? I don't want my body in starvation mode - that won't get me results.

Suggestions?
ThatGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Eat your flex points, all of them, over the course of the week. I'm not a WWer, but my understanding is that your flex points are there to be used, not remain unused. Also make sure that you are eating your activity points, if you have any.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

I just stopped doing weight watchers and I was under the impression that you need to eat ALL of your points, even when you aren't hungry. I was at 26 points per day which was about 1500 calories (maybe less?). It's the same principle as calorie counting, if you want to keep losing weight you may need to go lower in your calories, if you are already at 1000, you can't go any lower. 1000 calories is not sustainable for the rest of your life. Does that make sense? And as for the 35 flex points, I just ate mine on a splurge day. Usually a saturday. I lost 17 pounds in 3 months, but have grown tired of the points system and have switched to calorie counting.
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Eat your flex points, all of them, over the course of the week. I'm not a WWer, but my understanding is that your flex points are there to be used, not remain unused. Also make sure that you are eating your activity points, if you have any.
I've done WW in the past and know lots of women doing it now. I would agree with the first part of this, but not the second. Yes, eat your flex points over the course of the week. You can divide them up to have a little extra each day, or save them for the weekend to be able to have some alcohol and/or other treats - in moderation.

However, most of the women I know who are successful with WW do not eat activity points unless they are very hungry and have no points left (including flex points). I think most people calorie counting do the same, meaning they don't increase calories for what they've burned in activity.

But honestly, I would not force myself to eat if I was not hungry, esp. if you've eaten all of your non-flex points.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

The reason why they tell you to eat all of your points is because, similar to calorie counting, you will reach a point where you have to drop your points for the day and if you are already under 1000 there will be no where for you to go. 1000 calories is not sustainable for the long run. I agree, you don't need to eat your activity points unless you are really hungry that day and know you need to eat a little more just to get by.
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #6  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I'm also doing WW and I get 22 points a day. When I tracked calories for a few days just out of curiosity, I calculated around 1600. Are you eating filling foods, like fruits, vegetables, high fiber cereals, etc.? They will get you more calories for your points than foods high in fat and low in fiber.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote