Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

Default 3 Questions

1. Is it practical to do the Atkins plan of eating when I just want to lose 5-7 pounds? I have been calorie counting but I just end up eating nothing but junk food and no real food, so I am trying to kick my sugar habit and lose these last pounds.

2. Can you drink the Big Train Low Carb Espresso drinks?

3. I read the book several years ago, but not recently (I plan to reread it ASAP, but want to get started today, before I've re-purchased the book).
Do I need to watch my # of calories or limit them or do I just monitor the # of carbs.?
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #2  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

As best know it is practical to do atkins so long as you are willing to keep it up... if you were to go back to you old way of eating as soon as the weight is off you'll just put the weight straight back on.

I can't answer your second question but in answer to your third you need to count carbs and not calories. If you go to the veronicaatkinsfoundation(dot)org website there's lots of useful information there
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #3  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

Atkins really needs to be embraced as a way of life you intend to continue, rather than a quick one time shot to shed a few stubborn pounds fast. It isn't a crash diet. In my case, I did pretty well with Atkins in March, but was not losing weight rapidly like some people do. When I got stuck at one weight for (I think it was) 18 or 19 days, I got discouraged and went back to calorie counting. I did break the hurdle that way, but I wasn't eating low carb and I was hungry and didn't feel as balanced or healthy. I'm hoping the little break might make it so that I can jump start Atkins again and actually lose weight this time, so I can stay on this for life, because I like not starving all the time.

But I also want to lose weight!

I think it is very much harder to lose 7 pounds for someone on the lighter side than for a heavier person to lose 20 or 30 lbs.
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfishgirl View Post
1. Is it practical to do the Atkins plan of eating when I just want to lose 5-7 pounds? I have been calorie counting but I just end up eating nothing but junk food and no real food, so I am trying to kick my sugar habit and lose these last pounds.
Whether it be Atkins, Calorie Counting, SB, WW etc., successful & permanant weight loss requires you change your eating habits for the rest of your life. "Diets" do not work, Lifestyle changes work. Learning to eat real food in every situation works. Yes, you will hit rough patches along the way but...persistance & consistency are the key. Remember, this isn't some quick fix....this is a new lifestyle!

2. Can you drink the Big Train Low Carb Espresso drinks?
Can you drink these drinks?....Yes, you can but....seriously consider their ingredients, nonfat dry milk, corn syrup solids, sugar alcohols, artificial colors & flavors its enough to make your head spin.

3. I read the book several years ago, but not recently (I plan to reread it ASAP, but want to get started today, before I've re-purchased the book).
Do I need to watch my # of calories or limit them or do I just monitor the # of carbs.?
While there is no substitute for Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 & prior versions), if you must, http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/ is an excellent source of Atkins info As far as calories are concerned, Dr. Atkins said they do matter. That being said, you may find you have to monitor them. Its pretty much a YMMV issue.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-17-2010 at 08:23 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #5  

Good point about the Big Train. Every time I have tried one, I've gotten a major headache! Diet Sodas do the same thing to me.

I do realize healthy eating is a way of life - so I am kind of hoping that "having" to eat real food instead of counting my ice cream and chocolate and mocha calories might help get me back on the right track. My real goal is to learn how to eat in moderation and stop the binging! And stop NEEDING junk food.

So I think I will try this, not as a crash diet, but as a way to refocuss my self, get off the sugar kick, and work my way toward maintaining a healthy and consistent weight. I am tired of the Yo Yo!

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #6  
Carbs are evil

Good for you greenfishgirl! You sound like you have a very positive attitude about where you want to go with this, no better way to start
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #7  

Thanks imstuffed!

I have almost made it through day two of this and so far so good. The only time I have struggled was when I was wrapping up muffins in saran wrap - I sooo wanted to eat the crumbs that were falling off. But I survived I am sure many more struggles will come my way, but I can do this! I hope!

I feel good so far and am anxious to continue! I loved my egg and cheese omelet this morning, a cobb salad tonight and look forward to shrimp scampi tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 AM   #8  
Carbs are evil

Your menu sounds lovely greenfishgirl! I was the same with crumbs from my sons treats/sandwiches etc. You're doing well not to pick keep it up From my experience after about 5/6 days of good behaviour on my part the urges completely dissapeared. That's the effects of induction i guess. I really dont crave sugary/startchy foods like i did before, what a great feeling Once you persevere i have no doubt you will get to that stage too!