Carb Counters - Low Carb Spinach?

View Full Version : Low Carb Spinach?

Blackberry Fields
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I have a dumb question.

I really needed the fiber and some other nutrients plus I try to eat greens at least twice a week so I bought canned spinach. I read and read and read all the labels before settling for one from a local producer that only lists spinach, water and salt as ingredients. The spinach is presumably boiled, it tastes like it too. The label says "0 g." for Carbs. I'm thinking that can't be right. Maybe they mean sugar? The other varieties had 3, 5 and 7 g. listed and nutritiondata has similar carb counts for several spinach varieties.

It's not a big deal if it puts me above my carb limit for today, I tend to not stress about what I eat, I'm just curious how many carbs ARE there in spinach. I'm confused now with conflicting sources of information.

Thanks!

koceank29
05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Try this link, it has different listings for how you cooked it or bought it. Spinach is extremely low!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/spinach.htm

Blackberry Fields
05-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Thank you! :hug: Extremely low is extremely convenient for how packed with nutrients it is. I have very low carb soft cheese I mix in the canned variety and I spritz some olive oil in the spinach/cheese mixture. Yum. Good to know it really is low carb.

My two favorite "green" things to eat as a kid were spinach and cucumbers. I'm happy to revisit them in large amounts now that I watch my carb intake.

Ilene
05-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Blackberry, I've had spinach in a can just to try it, I found it was awful :barf: but I love fresh spinach steamed :hun: it's so much tastier. Have you tried fresh spinach?

Blackberry Fields
05-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Of course, I've bought tons of it from the farmers market and I always do whenever I see it, but apparently it's back to being off season for them. I'll try to look for it in the supermarket, but I'm not that wild about spinach brought from far, far away.

I didn't mind the taste of canned spinach because the one I chose was simply boiled spinach with a bit of salt, the only other ingredients listed were water and spinach.

BerkshireGrl
05-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I liked canned spinach myself :)

According to FitDay, 1 cup of cooked spinach is 7.2 Carbs/4.5 Fiber, so 2.7 Net Carbs (amazingly this is about 7 cups raw!)