Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default do you ever get tired of eating...?

Ok, I know this is a weird question...

But I am a former compulsive/binge eater. I am not the kind of person who gained weight by having tons of fabulous restaurant meals with my friends and gained weight that way.

I'm the kind of person who just ate and ate and ate. Either, I just snacked on whatever was around, but literally every 15 minutes or so all day, plus normal meals, or I stress ate large amounts of carby crap like Twizzlers and donuts. Often enough, I used to eat myself sick. Sometimes, I used to feel like I was "forcing" myself to finish something that I didn't even really "want" but I felt like I "had to have." If I had a bag of candy with me in the car, I would ALWAYS eat every single piece, even if I felt like puking by the end. I used to think that I "had no choice." It was a compulsion.

So, fast forward to now. I eat food that I really like, but most of the food I eat is pretty boring-- a lot of chicken breast, tilapia, and salmon, and a huge variety of veggies, which I think I cook creatively and really enjoy. Plus some fruit, some cheese, some dairy and usually a little bit of bread.

What I've noticed is that sometimes partway through a meal, I get kind of tired of eating. I "think" that's how normal people feel when they leave half the food on their plate (which of course normal people do all the time...) But I have a really hard time stopping at that point. I think I'm afraid that if I don't eat my whole meal I'll end up hungry later. It's irrational, because I could eat something else later.... I don't feel a compulsion to finish. I just keep eating because I've allotted those calories and gosh-darn-it, that's my food, and I GET to eat it, so I eat it. I'm rarely STUFFED from the meals I prepare now, unless there is a lot of really bulky food, like cauliflower.

Anyway, for me, staying away from fun-food has really helped me reorient myself toward food as something to eat and enjoy, but not something recreational... but the feeling of being bored and tired of eating is new to me.

Thoughts?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

For me, I get tired of food BEFORE I eat it. Pre-kids, skipping meals was not unusual, and I was slimmer too, though that's not recommended for weight loss. Once I had someone relying on me for food, the pendulum swung the other direction. Now when the kids are at their grandparents', there are times I just don't eat because I don't feel like it. I don't if it's because I don't feel like preparing the food or I just don't feel like eating it.

Once I get going though, no, I don't usually get tired of eating. My cue to stop is an empty plate which is why at restaurants I divide my plate before I start.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-17-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I'm the kind of person who just ate and ate and ate. Either, I just snacked on whatever was around, but literally every 15 minutes or so all day, plus normal meals, or I stress ate large amounts of carby crap like Twizzlers and donuts. Often enough, I used to eat myself sick. Sometimes, I used to feel like I was "forcing" myself to finish something that I didn't even really "want" but I felt like I "had to have." If I had a bag of candy with me in the car, I would ALWAYS eat every single piece, even if I felt like puking by the end. I used to think that I "had no choice." It was a compulsion.
I was like this too. If it was there, I had to eat it, even if I didn't want it. Weird! I guess you're right in calling it a compulsion. I couldn't just let it sit in the kitchen, it had to be comsumed.

Now, I have more the problem of not wanting to eat before I start--even if I'm starved. This doesn't happen regularily, but sometimes I just don't want to have to think about cooking a meal or figuring out what kind of meal I can make that's fast and easy and healthy. But if I've already cooked something and am eating, I don't get tired of it like you! That sounds great!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #4  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I feel the same way. It's kind of weird. it's not the food - i am a chef, and it's good, exciting meals, just what i want. i think i go through phases where I just think about food so much - at work, in my personal time, with dieting - that i just don't want to think about it any more. So I completely understand. And yes, most of the time, I finish my plate anyway, because it's written in my little meal plan and I don't want to throw away any of those few calories I get!
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #5  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

This is not quite what you're experiencing, but I often feel like I wish I never had to bother with eating. Sometimes it's just a bother, I would rather not have to worry about it and just focus on the tasks at hand. However, I also really enjoy cooking and putting together flavors, experimenting, etc, but I don't always feel that way. Sometimes eating is just a chore. I think part of that is just from being so frustrated with food and my body that I wish I could just automatically have all of the food and nutrition I need without having to think about it.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #6  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

When I hit my breaking point I started to not be satisfied by food anymore.. like I would go get a donut or something and it just didn't do anything for me.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

do you ever think maybe more frequent, smaller meals, might help?? meh what do i know LOL

for me, I get tired of (omg i'm going to get punched for this) PLANNING! I'm definitely not one who can plan out what i'm going to eat for 2 days, let alone for the week! I have a vague idea of what 'meat' i'll defrost type of thing, but i knew I had to learn very early on how to survive without a plan! so my plan was to live without a plan LOL I have a ton of nice homemade meals in ready to go servings in the freezer, but I also know every fast-food low-cal trick in the book! forget the croutons or their dressing, have your own! I think I can find a decent alternative for every meal in a drive thru that's OK calorie-wise! I don't do it very often, but it's a huge comfort knowing that i CAN do it when I have to! 100plus DOWN so i must be doing something right (for ME anyway!)

Last edited by Trazey34; 05-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
do you ever think maybe more frequent, smaller meals, might help?? meh what do i know LOL

for me, I get tired of (omg i'm going to get punched for this) PLANNING! I'm definitely not one who can plan out what i'm going to eat for 2 days, let alone for the week! I have a vague idea of what 'meat' i'll defrost type of thing, but i knew I had to learn very early on how to survive without a plan! so my plan was to live without a plan LOL I have a ton of nice homemade meals in ready to go servings in the freezer, but I also know every fast-food low-cal trick in the book! forget the croutons or their dressing, have your own! I think I can find a decent alternative for every meal in a drive thru that's OK calorie-wise! I don't do it very often, but it's a huge comfort knowing that i CAN do it when I have to! 100plus DOWN so i must be doing something right (for ME anyway!)
I kind of agree. I do what I call "free form planning." I know I won't plan out a menu. But I DO plan the stocking of my freezer, fridge, and pantry so that I can make healthy, tasty, on-plan meals at a moment's notice. We have flexibility, but it's within the parameters of healthy eating.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Trazey, I agree too. I'm not a planner and I know what I can get where if I need to. I've become quite the sodium snob, which makes eating out a lot tougher though!

I just have a couple go-to meals and generally keep supplies on hand for such a meal. For me those are stir fries, salads with chicken strips, taco salad, and plain old baked chicken with a veggie.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hey-- I think this is the "hate planning" club.

I really don't plan either. I just make sure that I always have the fridge stocked with my fairly limited set of choices.... If I had to plan all the time, I'd have stopped long ago. I need SIMPLE.

Regarding getting bored eating-- let's put it this way. I really don't think it's a problem. It's just weird.

It happened again today at lunch-- I waited kind of late and was extremely hungry, so I heated up left over salmon and broccoli, then I got a 1 oz chunk of bread, a cup of strawberries and a 4 oz container of cottage cheese. Now, those are all foods that I enjoy.

I ate the salmon but by the time I was half way through the broccoli, I was sick of it-- I left the bread, ate the strawberries, and was too full for the cottage cheese.

I think that after almost a year of eating this way, my body is starting to know when it's done, but my eyes still play tricks on me-- a 4 oz piece of salmon and two cups of broccoli still looks like "a little" to me, so I pile up my plate with other stuff, but actually, salmon and broccoli is plenty to fill me up-- since cottage cheese and a slightly stale piece of bread are really not binge-worthy, I get full, which I interpret as "bored" and I stop.

I guess.

Shrug.

As long as I'm losing...and am not having wild cravings it's all good.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Ah, now that I get!! Yes, perhaps you are mixing up "full" with bored!! What a revelation!! Yes, I get full and then I stop and often what I think I need in that hunger state does not always pan out to be what I actually need. I stop when my belly says I've had enough.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I do plan and I eat 6 times a day, meals that consist of low calorie, healthy foods that I can have in large volumes. But nope, I don't get tired of eating, lol
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I do get a little "bored" of my healthy food in that if I had chips or cookies, I'd probably manage to find room to eat them even when I feel like I'm completely done with my healthy meal and wouldn't want to eat another bite of that.

But I would agree that "bored" probably does equal "full" for the most part, the ability to eat junk food notwithstanding. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people who has completely lost my taste for junk although I do seem able to enjoy it in more moderate quantities so maybe that's a good enough change, at least for me.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #14  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Yes, I hate planning as well. I looked up meal nutrition for all the restraunts I frequent (frequent meaning maybe one a week) and I have scoped at least two meals at each place so I dont eat the same thing every time. If I dont know the facts I get either the salad with the least amount of toppings and cut it in half with dressing on the side or I go for a good old fashion kids meal I always buy healthy ingrediants and make a little game out of what I can create without this much salt or this much sugar. I have lost 40 so far so I feel like I am doing something good. I eat small and I dont snack often. I have gained a much bigger sense of control over my eating and just an overall better way of life I like what the rest of you ladies are saying, it's very helpful and motivational to me.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266/233/140

Height: 5-7

Ever since my baby has been on proper food funnily enough I do get a bit fed up with eating! I have to eat at proper meal times with her to encourage her (she eats better when she copies me plus I want her to grow up with a sense of you eat at meal times, not just whenever) and it seems more like a chore. I also seem to eat the same things pretty much everyday, so yes, strangely I do get fed up!
I used to eat 'whatever' 'whenever' for her first 6 months, now it's balanced and sensible,got to really put thought into it and at set times. While I know this is good it's a hard habit to get into and appreciate.
xxDazzlexx is offline   Reply With Quote