South Beach Diet - Phase One - How goes it!?

View Full Version : Phase One - How goes it!?

05-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I started phase one last week and after the initial "omg I feel like death" subsided after two (maybe three :P) days (which, I blame on no caffeine NOT on the plan :P) I feel great.

I'll admit I'm still lemming the sweets when I'm near the check out area of the store (mostly because I avoid the "no no" areas like the plague, but you can't avoid the check out!). BUT, I've found that if I go RIGHT after supper or lunch and then reward myself with a cup of tea sweetened with splenda when I get home or back to work the whole "inner battle" is a whole lot easier.

Anyone else on phase one this week?

40plus
05-17-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm still trying to get a good, clean start -- I keep blowing it with sweets or beer. :( Does Phase 1 usually make people GROUCHY for awhile?

Christian
05-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I am on day 3 phase one here and I am doing really well other than being sleepy, I think I will add in a cup of beans with dinner and see it that helps and try to stay out of the turkey pepperoni too :lol:

8675309- way to go on finding that tea clams those cravings, I know for me just a simple glass of milk does it, way to go on fighting that candy isle :D

40+ - I am really grouchy...but it is also PMS time for me :rolleyes: I hope it gets better for both of us ;)

05-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Good job guys!

40plus - I have noticed I'm a bit irregularly sensitive in the past couple days.

Christian - Beans and dairy are my savors, I'm loving vegetarian chili.

SBSuz
05-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm on day 10 of phase 1... which sounds sooo close to the end.. until you think it's 5 more days, and work days at that!

I've turned to gum a lot since I've started phase one. Anytime I find myself thinking about sweets, I pop in a piece of sugar free gum. I've never been a big fan of gum, but I've suddenly come to realize that there are lots of flavors that can make it pretty interesting! (Mint Mojito? yum!). I also tend to chew gum at the store to keep me from sweets.

40plus, I am grouchy at first too. I tired starting phase one unsuccessfully a few times before this most recent attempt, and always blew it with sweets too. I think putting on shorts and looking like a sausage in them finally gave me my motivation. (btw, 9 days later those shorts are MUCH better!)

Maybe we should make this the phase one grumpy thread, and we can all take out our grouchiness here. :)

Suz

harrismm
05-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I am on day 13. Feel great. This is the only woe that works for me!

Christian
05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
harrismm- How much have you lost in the 13 days???

Suz- A grumpy thread huh?? Sounds good to me :lol:

and way to go on those shorts :woohoo: How much have you lost during the 10 days?

lookinforsz12
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm on day 8. Feeling food. Last week a few headache days but doing fine now. Did lots of cooking over the weekend so I would have everything ready and no excuses to grab the wrong thing in a hurry. Hope it is all this easy. Lost 9 lbs last week. Will be happy with 2 or 3 this week. May extend ph 1 for another week if necessary. Hope all get over the grouchies and achies.

ChelseaW
05-17-2010, 11:26 AM
You are all doing great! :carrot: Phase 1 is really hard but so worth it. Hang in there!

05-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Ironic = I blew it this morning at breakfast with family and when I found out my holiday plans for the long weekend (I leave Wednesday for the lake!) I've decided to focus on staying away from processed sugar while I'm gone and restart phase one when I get back because smores (okay...maybe a little processed sugar?), potato chips, and mom's potato salad are most definitely on the "eat or get harassed by family members who don't think you need to watch a damn thing"...:P...(yes, my family is that kind of family).

Until next week I'll be watching everyone's progress for tips and tricks that you use that might help me out when i get back into the swing :)

40plus - for the first few days I secluded myself this time around. the first time I did phase one my boyfriend was all "take. some. anti. pms. now." lol

CyndiM
05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Jenny - maybe http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/177265-making-work-real-life.html will help a little

SouthLake
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm on day 8 of a clean phase one (had a couple false starts- oops!) and so far it's going really, really well. I'm not really craving anything bad, I'm not grumpy this time around, and I lost 4.5 pounds last week. Which, considering it's TOM, I'm pretty dang happy with. I resisted amazing pizzeria piza (company meeting... free... sitting in front of me and all), lemon cake, twice baked potatoes, wine, fresh donuts, home made tortillas, cheesecake brownies.... just to name a few. (I even cooked a lot of those things for mom's bday and didn't have any!) And, for the first time in my weightloss journey... managed to lose weight on a weekend! I think the key for me this time is avoiding a lot of processed or salty foods (like salami and lunchmeat), getting really creative in the kitchen (I made some amazing "honey" mustard chicken the other night) and I'm having a cup of yogurt every afternoon at 2 with just a little splenda and vanillla. It's kept me from getting grumpy, and from craving sweets. Other than the first day of TOM last week, I didn't even want sweets. (if a fresh crumb donut had showed up on my desk that day, I couldn't have guaranteed its safety) I'm not relaly finding that I need a sweet treat this time either... though I did have some SF cheesecake the other night. So, so far so good. Just got to keep it up!

luckontherun
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
New to the Beach and just finished phase 1 yesterday, day 1 and 2 seemed so long and now the results are so motivating (down 7#s). Went to a conference today and downed my cheese stick and muts withouot a lot of undue notice and lots of luck for me they had chicken ceasar for lunch as an option:dizzy: My slavation had been small sweet peppers with hummus. Welcome to all newbies. I visit my sister's cabin a lot in the summer and she's on the beach too, so lucky for me!! Lisa

grneyedmustang
05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I haven't totally transitioned into a clean phase I yet, still trying to get rid of leftover fat smash fruit. And boy do I have plenty!

Christian
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
luck- way to go on finishing phase one!!! You go girl! And I am glad you wont be tempted at the cabin :D

mustang- I did fat smash too, it does work and the 2nd and 3rd phase are really close to this one, I loved it too :yes:

SBSuz
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Christie, I'm not sure how may I've lost exactly because I didn't weigh myself the first morning. Best guess is around 4. Which I'll happily take!

And while I'm thinking of it, what's phase "1.5"? I've seen in mentioned and I'm assuming it's adding some carb in but not all... fruit? whole grains?

Marinella
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
I am on the second day of Phase 1 and I have a huge headache. Also, I get very hungry around 4PM even if I have a snack an hour earlier. But I don't crave carbs or sweets just yet.

ChelseaW
05-18-2010, 05:01 PM
And while I'm thinking of it, what's phase "1.5"? I've seen in mentioned and I'm assuming it's adding some carb in but not all... fruit? whole grains?

Yes, when you start phase 2 you are supposed to gradually add grains and fruit back into your meals, one at a time. So phase 1.5 means you are still transitioning in between phase 1 and 2.

Christian
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Marinella- Eat if you are hungry sis, just have a veggie or a salad if you need too, and it does get better on the headache side, I havent had one in 2 days now and I am sure it was because of sugar detox, hang in there, I have more energy today that I have had in awhile now :yes: Oh I am on day 4 :D

40plus
05-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Whew! Clean 2 days so far, and feeling much better. I think celery and hummus, tofu pate, and the occasional glob of peanut butter are going to be my salvation. :) I'm not usually a big milk drinker, but I've been having a glass of 1% in the morning with my breakfast, and I think that's helping, too. I can tell I'm de-puffing already, and it feels great!

Christian
05-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Way to go 40+ :cheer: milk is my staple every day now too for sure and I look forward to it like it is a treat ;)

RiverGirl
05-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Just came back too the beach after about a year and a half of straying... I am only on week 1 of phase 1 and so far no grumpys or headaches... I am super tired, but I am always tired (from an unrelated iron deficiency), so Im use to that part.... otherwise so far so good.

Christian
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
RiverGirl- So far so good looks great to me :D

wowzers
05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I just finished my second day of ph1 :) I'm so proud I haven't cheated!! :) as I was making my breakfast/snacks/lunch for tomorrow I kept thinking of all the excuses I've made before to cheat...how did I get away with people believing them? :( I guess it was good to see that, acceptance it's a big step for me.
I got side tracked :P
but so far feeling great for a second day ! No headaches for me ;) knock on wood...

05-19-2010, 03:41 AM
wowzers - I still laugh at myself when I consider cheating, for a moment irrational thought takes over and then the rational side goes "Um, WHAT? How does that make sense?" :frypan:

Christian
05-19-2010, 08:52 AM
wowzers- way to go on day 2 :dance: And way to go on the no headaches too!

8675309- I feel the same way...why cheat now??? :D

dranaeli
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I am also doing phase one it has been a little challenging since i work 12 hours and have been working a lot lately but i am tryin to make the best of yesterday I caved and ate some chocolate so I will be extending my phase 1 by a week more I had lost about 4lbs but i gained one back

Marinella
05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Christian, the problem is that I am at work and I forget to bring a bigger snack such as vegetables or salad. I am already bringing breakfast, lunch and a snack to work so I guess I need a bigger cooler, LOL! On the positive side I saw a change on the scale this morning but that could be water weight. On the negative side I still have a headache but I am starting to think it may be due to PMS and I haven't taking anything yet because I am afraid it will upset my stomach.

Christian
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Marinella- I am sure PMS has a beig deal to do with the headaches, I am on my cycle now and the headaches have finally laid off, keep up the great work, cause it is SO worth the result we get from this :yes:

Marinella
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks, I will! How long did it take you to reach your current goal?

Christian
05-19-2010, 01:18 PM
It took me about a year the first time I lost my weight the and that is what my ticker shows, I went from 205 to 142 then, now that I going back up the wrong direction and I know this plan works so I am right back on it ;)

Marinella
05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Christian: Wow, 140 is my goal! I am at 207 now so we're pretty similar. I am learning to be in control of my food intake which is the biggest challenge. So far so good and I haven't cheated.

Christian
05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Marinella- It wont take year for you on SBD I cheated alot the year I did it, it will only take about 6 months if you stick to it like the book says...you will be at your goal before Christmas I am sure of it :D

wowzers
05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Marinella- It wont take year for you on SBD I cheated alot the year I did it, it will only take about 6 months if you stick to it like the book says...you will be at your goal before Christmas I am sure of it :D

This is so encouraging! :D

Christian
05-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I am glad I could help ;) It does work great!

Marinella
05-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Six months sounds awesome! I really hope so, it would make me sooo happy to be back at the weight I was when I was 25! Thanks for the encouragement!

Christian
05-19-2010, 06:04 PM
your welcome :D And it really is possible if you eat like this and exercise just a little, I dance around the house with a baby all day LOL

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I am new to the forums, but am not new to low carb. After getting married and falling off the bandwagon for a couple of years, I'm starting South Beach again. I have been working out for most of the time, but unfortunately my eating habits were so ppor, I still managed to gain all but 10 lbs of the weight back. I am ramping up my work outs, and I have recently started running again after a long hiatus. Hopefully between the increased intensity and frequency of workouts and cleaning up my diet, I can get this weight off (and keep it off)!

Today is day 1, and so far, it hasn't been too bad.
B: 2 egg whites with fresh spinach, mushrooms and low-fat feta.
L: 1 cup Oikos plain fat free yogurt and 1.5 cups of broccoli, cucumber, red pepper mix.

Your posts are so encouraging, and I know I need as much support and accountability as possible to stay committed and excited.

luckontherun
05-20-2010, 02:39 PM
THC
Congratulations, you are at the weight I started at, we can do it! I know the first several days seemed long to me, but before you know it Phase 1 will be done. Just think of not having cravings and feeling satisfied, that really worked for me! I lost about 7# on Phase one and I am a first timer. Now anxious about holding onto it on my move to Phase 2. I am on day 3 of Phase 2. Keep up the great work! Luck

dranaeli
05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I have totally fell off the wagon for sure I am trying but things are so crazy that i couldnt resist and ate some rice with stir fry broccolli. My biggest problem is the planning if i plan and have everything ready and accesible i do a lot better

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
THC
Congratulations, you are at the weight I started at, we can do it! I know the first several days seemed long to me, but before you know it Phase 1 will be done. Just think of not having cravings and feeling satisfied, that really worked for me! I lost about 7# on Phase one and I am a first timer. Now anxious about holding onto it on my move to Phase 2. I am on day 3 of Phase 2. Keep up the great work! Luck

Thanks. Congrats on your weight loss and completing Phase 1 :bravo::bravo: It must feel great. The first few days are most definitely the toughest. Once the scale starts moving in the right direction, my motivation soars.

luckontherun
05-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Dranaeli,
Just think 18#'s thinner, you are an inspiration to us starting out! :o

Are you on Phase 1? I used some broccoli slaw like rice when I went through Phase 1 (like three days ago!!) and it really satisfied me. I also made a decadent meal with a great peanut sauce and thought I was cheating for sure. Also to die for were those small peppers that are available right now with hummus, just think I wouldn't have found them if I hadn't headed to the beach! :carrot:

I double checked with the seniors and basmati rice is a phase 2 item, although I have yet to let that sink in, I am carb shy right now and know I need to take the leap.

You can do it:crossed:

dranaeli
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
luckontherun

thank you so much for the encouragement i think i am going to move on to phase 1.5 and i am going to add a carb and see if that helps me out

Christian
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
This is day 6 for me and I am having trouble tonight , my grandma bought us strawberries and bananas and grapes to help my family eat healthy :dizzy: I am on phase one and have been for 5 days now and I hate looking at all this fruit ...I will make it, I just had to vent ;)

tarheelchick
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
I have totally fell off the wagon for sure I am trying but things are so crazy that i couldnt resist and ate some rice with stir fry broccolli. My biggest problem is the planning if i plan and have everything ready and accesible i do a lot better

We all fall off every once in a while. Getting back on quickly is what makes the difference. Instead of feeling defeated, focus on your great accomplishments and hard work to date -- don't let one little slip-up turn into a few more. And, I totally feel you on this one. If I plan everything out, I am much more successful. I have to plan all of my meals out at the beginning of the week and shop to make sure I have all the necessary ingredients. Keep persevering...it's definitely worth all the hard work in the end :)

RiverGirl
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Doing great.
Day 5 and I've lost 4 pounds!!!
(technically its day 7 but my 2nd day had a few hiccups so I started recounting)

tarheelchick
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Congrats, RiverGirl! 4lbs is great. I'm on day 2 and hoping to see some scale movement soon.

Christian
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Go Rivergirl!!!! :woohoo:

MikePattonIsGod
05-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Starting phase one tomorrow. I gotta admit that I'm starting out a little discouraged even before I begin.
Two weeks ago I loosely started South Beach by giving up all potatoes, breads, grains, sugar, carrots and beets. There was one day that I ate a piece of cornbread and twice I cheated with basmati rice. And I've had one glass of wine and two cocktails.
Today I stepped on the scale and discovered that I've only lost 1.8 lbs.
I'm about 120 lbs. overweight...so I really expected to lose a lot more than that in 2 weeks time!
I'm thinking that I had too many nuts, too much salad dressing, too much lunch meat, and way too much cheese and half and half.
Plus there were times that I was eating chicken thighs instead of breasts and I was eating sugar free ice cream.

I plan on being a **** of a lot more strict for my "official" start of Phase 1!
Wish me luck.

Ruthxxx
05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Have you read the book? It's essential to understand this plan and follow it exactly. "Loosely" doesn't work. A clean Phase I is essential.

MikePattonIsGod
05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm reading it now. Which is how I figured out where I went terribly wrong! lol
I'm sure it will work better now that I know what in the heck I'm supposed to be doing.
Plus I wasn't exercising, so really I should probably consider myself lucky that I lost anything at all!

40plus
05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Day 5 and I can't believe how much better I feel than I did a week ago! Wow! I'm amazed at how much better I'm regulating my moods, and how much easier it is to resist the bad stuff already. And I'm down 4 lbs. -- whoo-hoo!

Marinella
05-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I am on day 7 and I am happy to report that I've lost six pounds!! I did a lot of walking and ate salads at Disneyworld and went swimming yesterday; drank regular and sparkling water, tomato juice and low fat milk only. For breakfast I had omelette with provolone cheese and vegetables. I feel better already and my cycle hasn't even started so I anticipate some more weight loss next week. I am going to a birthday party today. Do you think I am going to sway just because the alcohol and cake are there??? No way!!! I am going to keep this up until I reach my small goal of 20 pounds! Ciao.

Marinella
05-22-2010, 12:03 PM
This is day 6 for me and I am having trouble tonight , my grandma bought us strawberries and bananas and grapes to help my family eat healthy :dizzy: I am on phase one and have been for 5 days now and I hate looking at all this fruit ...I will make it, I just had to vent ;)

Christian, how did you do? I had a peach at home (last of the fruits I was eating before I started the diet) and I ended up giving it to my dog who loves all kinds of fruit. You just have to tell yourself that you will eat those again once you reach and maintain your goal. You can also put the fruit in the freezer for when the time comes. :smug:

Christian
05-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Way to go 40#s plus...your loss is great!!! :carrot:

Marinella- I did great, I am just ignoring the fruit today :lol: I havent cheated so I am thrilled about that , the scale is stuck but I am still 5.5 pounds down from day one so I am not complaining...You rock for being able to stick to phase one at Disney girl, :encore: I am so proud of you, and the 6 pounds...well that is just awesome! :yes:

tarheelchick
05-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Congrats, Marinella. You are doing fabulous and have amazing willpower. All your hard work will pay off.

Way to go, Christian. Fruit is definitely my weakness this time of year. I will be so glad when I complete Ph 1 and can add some in.

Christian
05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
me too tarheelchick...I LOVE FRUIT!!! :dizzy:

luckontherun
05-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Good job on a good phase one all , I know that when I went through it I was loath to have a social event and have to be tempted, can't believe how well you did in disney marinella!! I know the benefits of phase 1 completion, wow so weird to be at the point of feeling full on the food choices that I would never have chosen in the past! Had some left over sauted fennel from last nights chichen chicks gathering, and whipped it into a omlette with feta, is this really the way we get to eat??? Yeah! Maybe it has been protein I have been craving all this time and trying to get that feeling from carbs!

Good , good , good to phase 1, inches be gone. Luck

phxsunflower
05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow I remembered my password!! It has been a school year since I have been here and I really need to be back for the support. :^: I started phase 1last monday so I guess I have been clean for 6 days now! I had the 3 day headache and very tired but beans have been my salvation this time around. School is over next week and I have all summer to soak in the support sooo hopefully this time it sticks.

Christian
05-22-2010, 11:08 PM
phxsunflower- Glad to have you back online with us, and I am sure you will do great here this summer...:yes:

Marinella
05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, it is possible to stay on Phase 1 even when eating out. I did well at the birthday party too. I was surrounded with carbs and alcohol all day long I had sparkling water and when that was all gone I had diet coke caffeine free. To eat there were some roasted veggies and ate burgers with no bun or ketchup. When I was tempted I've always asked myself: how bad do I want to lose weight?" and the answer was always: "reaaaally baaadd!"

40plus
05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm soooooo proud of myself! Day 7 on P1, and I went to a wine tasting fundraiser event for my daughter's preschool today, and not only did I not taste a drop of wine, I didn't touch any of the gorgeous desserts, either! And the crazy part is it wasn't even that hard to resist, and I have always had the world's BIGGEST sweet tooth. :) There were some nice protein and veggie choices on the buffet, and I stuck with that and sparkling water, and I didn't even feel deprived. My weight has been the same all week since I dropped 4 lbs. right off the bat, but I'm so proud of myself for today, and so relieved that I could do it without much struggle at all!

Christian
05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I dont see an on plan thread today so I will post here ;)

I am down another 1/2 pound and am on day 10...so I am loving this!

B- 2 eggs and 1 turkey sausage and skim milk
L- roast beef and squash and a low sodium v8
S- at the mother in laws so I will post later
snacks- sf fudgebar, sf yogurt, 6 oz skim milk, another v8

Christian
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Down another 1/2 pound :woohoo:

I still dont see a thread for menus and I have to post or I feel weird :lol:

B- 2 eggs and skim milk
snack- sf yogurt
lunch- roast beef, low sodium v8, and some squash
snack- 1 tbls peanut butter and celery
S- turkey breast, squash,and navy beans and another v8
snack- 1 tbls peanut butter and celery and skim milk
I am babysitting today so I will be getting my exercise for sure ;)

HopefulAgain
05-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello there!

I'm just starting my second week of Phase 1. The first week I had a few hiccups. Well, not really hiccups.....I stayed on plan, but I felt like I was overeating nuts and undereating veggies, milk, etc. So, basically, sort of unhealthy. =[

But this week, I've been doing 100% better. So, I'm excited. I'm having a bit of a war with my scale fluctuating widely, but I feel good, I guess.

Quick question....this weightloss in Phase 1...it is water weight? Or is it going to be visible weight loss? I know it sounds like a weird question, but I have something I have to look my best for on June 5th. I'm debating over whether I should extend my Phase 1 for an additional week to get the maximum # of pounds lost or if that's not really visible weight loss,(visible weight loss--as in will I look smaller, lol) should I go into Phase 2?

DipaB
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I am on day 10 of phase 1. I have lost almost 5 pounds. It has not been an easy time for me. Not because of hunger. I am never hungary I eat all the time. The problem for me is evenings when the kids go to bed and I relax. These times are so difficult. But I am loving my scale. I have one that shows 10ths of pounds and it is awesome to see even a 10th off of my weight. Hanging tough

05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Hello Everyone!
Back from holidays, technically, finals tomorrow and then I'm working all weekend so planned restart of phase one is going to be on Sunday (was going to be saturday but we are having a pizza party at work for meeting goal this month lol).

tarheelchick
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Congrats to everyone already in week 2. Your weight loss is encouraging. Today is day 7 for me, and I'm down 2lbs...a little less than I had hoped, but with TOM just ending, I'm hoping to see better numbers in week 2. Regardless, I feel successful in conquering my crazy cravings and incorporating healthier food into my diet (and lots of water)!

Christian
05-27-2010, 12:54 PM
tarheelchick- Your doing great! And take it from me TOM has alot to do with your weightloss, you should do great your second week :yes:

05-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Anyone still phase one-ing it?

I start/restart tomorrow. I can't wait to get going! Grocery shopping before coming home (needed some vegetables!) was actually kind of fun!

Also got some diet pop (dr pepper, to replace the coke i normally drink). :D

SwimGirl
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Started phase 1 today! I am excited, and feeling energetic, hope this feeling lasts! :lol: My bf was looking in the mirror yesterday and decided he's going to join me, hopefully that'll help - I did South Beach a few years ago and phase 1 was SO hard for me.

Look forward to getting to you all in the next couple of weeks :)

-Aimee

RiverGirl
05-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Good for you swimgirl!
Im on wk 2 of phase 1 (I too had done it before and found it really hard.) But this time around it was a breeze.... Mostly, I figure, due to the fact that I searched for, printed out and tried a TON of new recipes that I'd never tried... and I kept them on hand so no matter what I was craving (pizza, tacos, etc.) I had a recipe right there to quell that craving and never even considered the fast food alternative.

So my main point, is to look around at all the recipes available here at 3FC, and try them if they sound good... you'll be pleasantly surprized!!!!

Good luck to ya,
~River

SwimGirl
05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Day one, DONE! Today went well, lots of good foods, lots of planning for different foods in the week, and the bf and I went for a walk tonight as well. Tomorrow should be interesting, I have everything planned out, and packed up for work, I'll be curious to see my energy level. Might take some Vitamin B for a little boost though!

RiverGirl - Recipes are definitely important! My bf was trained as a chef, and so he's got a TON of ideas for foods, I am good with cooking veggies so we make a good team! The mock pancakes are my fav thing from all those years ago.. yummy! How much weight have you lost so far?

-Aimee

RiverGirl
05-31-2010, 04:31 PM
10 pounds lost so far, and I still have a handful of days left on phase 1.... I am eager to get to ph 2 tho... I really miss my fruit. (Tho I am a little nervous about adding back in the grains.... don't want my weightloss to stall.)

SwimGirl
05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
RiverGirl - Yay! Love to hear that.. I am *hoping* for 10-12 pounds :)

Made it through work today, I was worried since my work is pretty tough at times. Just cooking dinner - chicken breast and roasted veggies, leftovers from last night. The bf was down 3.4 this morning, ugh, men! I was down 1.1. I am a daily weigher, it keeps me sane. Happy with that though.

Anyone get bloated or gassy? My stomach got all bloated tonight after work, no idea why..

-Aimee

RiverGirl
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Good luck to you.... and way to go with the success so far.

Gah, men have it easy... my bf can live on greasy hamburgers and fries with gravy and some how loose weight..... somehow, it doesn't seem fair!

tarheelchick
06-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome to phase 1, swimgirl and congrats on already losing. I am in week 2, and it's getting easier with the exception of the Memorial Day cookout. I just took things I could eat, and I was able to say no to everything else. I'm down 6lbs, so that's motivating as well.

wowzers
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm officially done with my first two weeks of SBD :)
9 lbs lighter and not hungry keeps me motivated!! :carrot:

Is it normal not to feel hungry? I still eat, but it's hard to do the snacks because I forget :( I'm constantly looking at the clock to make sure I eat -- who would've thought that I could "forget" to eat!? :D

However, for the last couple days TOM has me craving chocolate cake...I tried with fudgesicles and chocolate milk and it won't go away!! :( I just looked at the desserts section here and I'm giving a couple a try. I'm excited because I actually love to bake!! :halffull:

But so far so good!! I'm getting into biking and looking forward to do the crosstrainer! :woops:

SwimGirl
06-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Survived day 2 :) Did well, still feeling good, normally when I stop having sugar I get SUCH a bad headache! The bf is down 5.3 pounds, I'd hate him, but I am down 3.5!

I look forward to hearing how you all do on phase 2!

wowzers - 9 pounds is amazing!! Congrats!

tarheel - 6 pounds also sounds amazing, congrats to you too :)

-Aimee

francine06
06-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Hey everyone! Is it too late to join in?

Decided to come out of the lurking phase and join in. So far I have lost almost 90 pounds. I lost about 40 of those pounds with South Beach July 2008 and the remainder has been with portion control and exercise. I decided to come back to the beach because I know that this is a healthy lifestyle and gives me the energy for my workouts (love working out). I have about 40 more pounds to lose and I just want to get it done already.

I just completed Day 4 of Phase I. So far so good. I even passed up the mini red velvet cupcakes at work today. :carrot:

Congrats to everyone's weight loss so far.

SwimGirl
06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Made it thru day 3 with a few minor problems... not enough water, and ate WAY too late. Got home from work at 10:30pm, and it was so busy at work that I missed my snack and needed to eat. Food was good though! I'm a daily weigher, so it showed in my scale this morning too, down .2. The bf? down 7.7, ugh men! :lol:

francine - congrats on your loss so far, amazing!! :)

-Aimee

Natalia
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi girls!
You guys are doin' fabulous!! Keep up the good work.

Wowsers, if you havent tried this recipe, you should for
One minute Chocolate Cake

1/4 cup ground almonds or flax meal
1 T cocoa powder
1/4 c splenda granular
1/4 tsp baking powder
Mix all together in 2cup pyrex cup. Then add 1 egg, 1T water or sf syrup, and a T of trans fat free margarine. Mix well, put in microwave for 1 min, (1.10 works better for me) until middle is just set. It will still look moist but it dries off after a minute. Invert onto plate if desired and serve with a dollop of cool whip if desired. Also rocks as is!
Serves one but takes your daily nut serving :) (soo worth it!!)

SwimGirl
06-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Natalia - if only I could do splenda! I tell yah, this diet with no artificial sweeteners can be torture! I'm allergic and my throat swells up if I have it :(

Day 4 was good. Woke up with a headache and can't seem to shake it, but stayed on plan 100%, and LOTS of water :)

-Aimee

francine06
06-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Made it thru day 3 with a few minor problems... not enough water, and ate WAY too late. Got home from work at 10:30pm, and it was so busy at work that I missed my snack and needed to eat. Food was good though! I'm a daily weigher, so it showed in my scale this morning too, down .2. The bf? down 7.7, ugh men! :lol:

francine - congrats on your loss so far, amazing!! :)

-Aimee

Thanks Aimee.

Yeah it's frustrating with the guys. I think all they have to do is read the book and they lose weight. :lol:

Natalia
06-03-2010, 01:00 AM
yikes!
Well, maybe agave on p2?
I can't imagine doing this with no artificial sweeteners, that's like giving up latte (not going to happen) You are a stronger woman than I!

SwimGirl
06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
francine - I am happy the bf is doing it with me, so his weight loss is keeping him motivated, which helps ME. :)

Natalia - I couldn't give up my latte's either! I think it would be easier to do it with artificial sweeteners, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? I'm just focusing on the fact that I don't have to give up coffee - I'd cry like a baby :lol:

-Aimee

francine06
06-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Aimee - That's great you have someone doing South Beach with you.

SwimGirl
06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
francine - How was day 5? I'm trying to be positive about his weight loss, how's it working? :lol:

-Aimee

mom2mollie
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I haven't posted on here in two years, but I started SBD Monday. Had some hiccups, so might have to start over, but I'm loving conquering my sugar and bread addiction!!

Lytricia
06-03-2010, 11:23 PM
hi everyone

It's been a few years since I have been on this site but I need help big time and I know that this is where I will find support!!!!!

Okay...on June 16 I turn 50 and I have been trying to lose the same 35 pounds for the last 15 years. Now I know that I won't lose it by my birthday (if only I could) but I swear I can't get to the end of my 50th year and still be hanging onto this weight! I will go insane.

Here's my motivation...I want to be healthy, sexy and strong (that's why we're all here right) ...but on a more vain note ... I have this size 2 sister-in-law who can't wait for me to sit down at a meal and go ON AND ON the whole time about how fat she is. She knows she's not fat! Even her husband has said something to her about how nobody cares to hear about it...especially while we are all eating..but if she can't work it into the conversation at the table she will corner me while we are cleaning up!!! UGHHHH! I can't stand being the fat chick anymore!

I think SBD is the way. I want a few quick pounds gone for motivation...but then slow and steady.

Can anyone help? I bought the book years ago but can't find it. Tell me where to start. Tomorrow is day 1 phase 1 for me.

tarheelchick
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
wowzers, I generally don't get hungry very often on SBD. I eat because I know I need to which is usually counterintuitive on a diet. I know if I don't eat enough -- if I fall below about 1100-1200 calories, I won't lose weight. So, I try to incorporate snacks throughout the day even when I'm not hungry to stabilize my blood sugar and keep my metabolism up. Great job on finishing up the first 2 weeks! 9lbs is fabulous!

francine06
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
francine - How was day 5? I'm trying to be positive about his weight loss, how's it working? :lol:

-Aimee

Day 5 went well. Yesterday (day 6) I was craving a piece a bread really bad but I didn't give in thanks to one of my friends at work.

Yeah I'm sure it's tough to see your boyfriend lose all that weight especially when you're doing the same plan and started around the same time but just hang in there. :)

SwimGirl
06-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Lytricia - I am constantly losing my book too - but always somewhere in my house and I eventually find it! For now it stays on the coffee table! Not too sure how I could help you, this is my first successful attempt - which I credit to reading the book. But let me know if I can try and answer any questions you might have!

francine - good job staying away from the bread! And it's great that your friends are supporting you on this, it's just so hard to make it thru those first few days without! Darn cravings! I woke up with my first craving the other day, Juicy Fruit gum :lol: Can't explain that one!

The bf got on the scale and saw a 1.3 pound gain, so I avoided the scale as well. Going to weigh on Sunday to get the 7 day total, was hoping for 7 pounds, but that might be a *tad* unrealistic... :lol:

-Aimee

francine06
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Aimee - Thanks! I also had a craving for a jelly doughnut the other day and the funny part is I rarely ate doughnuts even prior to re-starting SB so I don't know where that came from. Yeah what's with these cravings huh? Maybe because yesterday was national doughnut day and I felt the need to participate? :lol:

Good luck on the weigh in tomorrow. Bummer about your BF gaining. I hope he still keeps going.

SwimGirl
06-06-2010, 08:31 PM
francine - I don't think I've heard of national doughnut day, I'm in Canada so obviously not here, but my brother lives in California and normally loves to tell me those things.

Today was the 1 week weigh in, can't believe it's already been a week, truly this week has gone by quickly, and I'm feeling a little TOO good, like I could eat like this forever.. makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong, :lol: After one week? Down 3.8. I have also been.. "stopped up" for about 3 days, so bloated and sore it hurts! The bf is down 9.3, so a successful week I think!

-Aimee

tarheelchick
06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Congrats on finishing the first week and the loss, Aimee! I'm almost at 2 weeks, but have been hit with a lot of cravings lately. Hopefully, they will go away soon. I'm hoping to be down 10 total by the 2 week mark -- 2 more pounds to go.

Lytricia - Check out the food lists on here to see exactly what is allowed on each phase. That will be helpful in determining what you can eat. The recipe section also has recipes broken down by phase. SBD is definitely a great choice -- it's just important to make sure you get a clean phase 1. If you have any specific questions, someone here will be able to answer them. Good luck!

Lytricia
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
tarheelchick - thanks for the advice, I will definitely find the food lists. I am going to go to Vegas for my 50th birthday and I want to shake off at least 10 pounds by the time I leave on July 2nd.

Aimee - nice loss! Good work for your BF as well! I don't know if it's allowed on phase 1 but if you are feeling bloated you could use a herbal laxative tea - there's one you can get at the health food store called Smooth Move (no joke). It works quite well and doesn't cause any cramping.

SwimGirl
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
tarheel - WOW, 8 pounds! Thats amazing! I was dreaming of losing that much in week 1.. I am a dreamer.. :lol: My cravings are gone now :D I am hoping to hit at least 8 pounds lost by the end of Phase 1, might post my meals in the forum to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong, because I would have thought I'd lose more since I have so much more to lose.. weight loss is such a tricky thing!

Lytricia - I finally went to the bathroom, I feel so much better, my stomach doesn't hurt.. I was almost giddy earlier after "IT" happened.. :lol: Who knew I'd ever talk this way! Have you started Phase 1 yet?

-Aimee

RiverGirl
06-06-2010, 11:51 PM
ok, so I had a bad weekend....
On saturday, I was at a memorial for a friend who recently died, and after the actual service we were led to a room full of food and treats.... I indulged in a few pieces of square pizza, a brownie & a lemon tart.

And if thats not bad enough, that night we went out as a group to have a few drinks to our friend who passed on.

Because of this, I have decided to stay on phase 1 for a couple extra day (instead of moving on tomorrow) just to make sure I've kicked any additional cravings that this weekend's faux pas may lead to.

Bensmom2004
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Hi there, I just started South Beach two weeks ago and made it through Phase 1. However, I am so bummed that at the end of it I only lost 6 pounds! I was so hoping for more. Am I being unrealistic? I weigh 177 now and I am 5' 6" tall. It's not like there isn't much weight to come off!!! I am so discouraged! I kept to the diet without any cheats and was very strict!! I can't explain it!! Oh and I exercised too!!!!

Natalie'sMom
06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone! I am not new but it has been a while since I have been here. I started SBD again today! :) I have had success in the past, but it has been a while and I have a looooong way to go. I am looking forward to seeing all of you around here!

I habe a RANDOM question -- I can't for the life of me figure out if we can have cream of mushroom soup on phase one? I made a cassarole with chicken, brocoli, cauliflower, shredded cheese, and the soup...and now I am not sure about the soup! :)

Anyone? Thanks!

RiverGirl
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Is it cream of mushroom soup from a can?
If so, I think the answer is no... I believe it contains both flour and heavy cream (tho I don't have a can in front of me so Im not positive).

francine06
06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Aimee - Congrats on the weight loss and that's great too that your cravings are gone. That for me is a big bonus.

Rivergirl - Yeah I'm staying on Phase I for a couple of extra days as well. I would be starting Phase 2 this Saturday but I think I will postpone it until next Monday. I did some no no snacking yesterday. Best part was I felt pretty awful afterwards so I guess my body was used to eating real wholesome food just from the past week so I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Bensmom - Don't be bummed, 6 pounds is great.

SwimGirl
06-08-2010, 01:54 AM
RiverGirl - thats a tough weekend, sorry to hear about your friend :( Lemon tart sounds delish though!

Natalie's Mom - I have to agree, the canned soup would be a no. But in terms of off plan foods? It could be worse, I'd just adjust and move forward!

francine - how are you doing? Any more weird cravings for you? Funny thing, I had to empty a garbage at work today and there was about 20 packs of Juicy Fruit, I laughed, and did NOT take any - they were in a garbage alone, and were only thrown out because of the Vancouver 2010 logo.

I was down 1.1 this morning taking my total weight loss to 4.9, I am happy with that after 8 days!

-Aimee

hil
06-08-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi everyone! I am new to 3 Fat Chicks and have loved reading all the great advice flying about. This is my second go with SB. The first time I did it was after my twins were born and I had great success with it. Then two more babies...now those babies are BIG and I have to get REAL! So I am on day 3 of Phase 1 and just survived my first chocolate craving tonight. I bought SF fudgcicles and mixed one with a tiny bit of SF peanut butter. Softened the fudgecicle in the microwave just enough to slide it off the stick then stirred the PB in...tasted just like a Reeces PB cup. Oh, if anyone us looking for a good SB recipe sourse, Kalyn's kitchen blogspot is awesome! I've been using her recipes for about 3 years now.

murphmitch
06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I habe a RANDOM question -- I can't for the life of me figure out if we can have cream of mushroom soup on phase one? I made a cassarole with chicken, brocoli, cauliflower, shredded cheese, and the soup...and now I am not sure about the soup! :)

Anyone? Thanks!

Most commercially prepared soups contain some non-Beachy ingredients. Cream of chicken in my cupboard lists: Wheat flour as the second ingredient, cream, cornstarch, modified cornstarch, etc. Not OK on SB diet. I have a real hard time with canned soup. Read the labels and look for ingredients like these. They're a no-no. That's why most of us find a substitute or make up our own soups. Even the ones in the health food section have questionable ingredients. :(

tarheelchick
06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Welcome, new beachers!

Bensmom- I'd have to say everyone loses at a different rate. 6lbs in 2 weeks is fabulous. It's just important in phase 1 to conquer those evil cravings and begin to adapt a better way of eating and that's what you've accomplished. The weight will come off in time as long as you're on plan. Unfortunately, it never seems to come off as fast as it came on...or at least that's my experience. For me, the scale doesn't always indicate what's actually happening, so I enjoy the lower number, but celebrate how I feel and how my clothes are fitting. Keep perservering -- it will all pay off :)

Natalie'sMom
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks, ladies. I will eliminate moving forward, it was just my quick solution! I knew I never had that in the past. :)

I did make it through the rest of the day unscathed!

And I had a fun lunch today: cucumber slices like little crackers with cheese and turkey on top for lunch. Yummmmmy! I love cukes!

RiverGirl
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Hil - Welcome to 3FC and good luck in your journey (I love those fugdsicles mixed with PB.... got me through some big cravings!)

Swim girl - thanks & the lemon tarts were quite good (just gotta find away to make them SB friendly)

Francine - Glad to hear Im not alone with my slip up... but hey, its just a few days, we can do it!

Natalie'sMom - I LOVE cucumbers too. They just taste so refreshing.... your lunch sounds delish!

~River

Lytricia
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Hi all - I hope you are all well!

Aimee - I have been sticking to what I think are the right things...I wish I could find the book! I probably loaned it out... oh well!

I sorta loosely followed the SBD plan over the past weekend and then really focused in on eliminating those nasty carbs yesterday and today. I have to say that I'm feeling a little tired and yucky but that may be because I'm limiting the amount of tea I have. (Usually 5-6 cups...trying to only do 1-2) Tea is my meal replacement. I honestly think a lot of my weight issues are that I eat very few calories during the week and completely binge on the weekends. I am working on balance!

I am gearing up for a HUGE birthday party for my 50th (also my dd who turns 21 and my ds who turns 19!) which will be in 2 weeks at the end of phase 1. I am trying to plan the menu according to the rules of SBD. All of my guests will be having fun and dieting while they're at it! hahah!

Have a great day.

SwimGirl
06-08-2010, 08:46 PM
RiverGirl - I love anything lemon! It's probably pretty easy to make something lemony SB friendly with ricotta and sweetener. I wish my body didn't hate artificial sweeteners.. I'd be eating something like that right now! :lol:

Lytricia - this website gives such a great list of things to have and to avoid, I actually refer to it rather than my book, since my book is a little older I guess. Congrats on cutting back on the tea, amazing - I could not give up my coffee!

Doing really well still, it's feeling easy still, but I am feeling confident with what I'm eating. I am down another .7 this morning, I know.. daily weigher, but it works for me. Also, I was able to zip up some size 16 pants today! Not that I should dare go OUT in them.. but they are zipping! Yay! I will be doing some measurements in the morning I think!

-Aimee

francine06
06-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Aimee - I'm doing good. No more crazy cravings thank goodness. I decided to go without the dairy for a couple of days. It seemed to help because whenever I drank milk it would trigger a craving for something sweet. I think I'm ready to add it back in though. Congrats on the size 16 pants. That's fantastic. I'm so close to getting in a 14. I'm hoping that they will fit great by the end of Phase I. That's pretty funny about the juicy fruit gum.

RiverGirl - Yes we can do it. How are doing with getting back on track?

Lytricia - That sounds like an awesome party. Socialize and lose weight? Sounds like my kind of party.

Natalie'sMom - That sounds like a really good lunch. I'll have to try that.

RiverGirl
06-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Francine- so far so good, been eating on plan... tho I gotta admit the chocolate mint ripple icecream that my roomate keeps in the freezer has been calling my name. Im not going to give in, but still, just hard knowing its there.

jenn33082
06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi all! I started Phase 1 back in March, but decided to go back to Phase 1 last Monday as I will be leaving for vacation next week. Hoping to get off an extra pound or 2 before vacay time.

Its going good so far. My only weakness is Sugar Free Russell Stover candy that is all over my workplace.

francine06
06-10-2010, 02:32 AM
RiverGirl - Yeah I would be hearing that ice cream call my name too. I admire you for staying away from it. Good job on getting back on plan.

Jenn - Welcome. At least it's the sugar free candy and not the real good stuff hanging around the office.

Diva
06-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Good afternoon everyone. Day 6 of Phase 1.5 (as y'all call it) and so far so good. Three pounds down which is awesome!!! We are monitoring my Blood sugars and I have to say it's a VAST improvement from a week ago. I am going to watch it closely for another week while allowing a few "good" crabs back in and I may be able to go off 1 of my Diabetes meds already. How awesome is that?! YAY!:carrot:

tarheelchick
06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Congrats, Diva! That's exciting to here. I'm glad you got everything worked out.

For me, I officially completed Phase 1, but haven't moved on just yet. I only really have Phase 1 food, and since we're moving this weekend, we've been focusing on eating the food we have on hand rather than buying anything new. So, I'm super excited to get to the grocery store before next week and add in some fruit! Officially, I lost 10 lbs on Phase 1 and I've lost another 3 since my 2 weeks was up on Tuesday. It seems to be coming off faster now than ever before...kind of strange, but no complaints.

SwimGirl
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I am crazy stressed right now, have to do something at work that I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable doing, but have been told I have no choice in the matter. Anyways, it's making me feel sick, but I'm staying on plan. Not feeling like eating, but the bf is making me eat, he's a good boy because when I don't eat I gain like crazy. I am hoping this won't impact my weight loss, or I'll be more unhappy than I already am... Sorry for the vent..

Rivergirl - stay away from the ice cream, so not worth it!

francine - glad you don't have any more cravings, what day are you on now?

diva - great news on the diabetes meds! 3 pounds is great!

tarheelchick - congrats on the 13 pounds!! I can't wait to eat carrots and corn, :lol: those were my go to snacks!

-Aimee

mustangheidi
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm on day two and I don't feel hungry like I thought I was going to. I don't crave sweets, but I think being on WW for so long kinda of kicked that habit. I am loving drinking v8 juice with a splash of tabasco in the AM, it feels kind of like I'm having a cocktail :)

SwimGirl
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
After 12 days I am down 6 pounds! Happy to see that, just 2 more days and then I'll start phase 2! Excited and scared..

Happy Friday!

-Aimee

francine06
06-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Aimee - Congrats on the 6 pounds. Technically this is day 14 but I want to stay on Phase I for a couple more days. So two more days for me too until I begin Phase 2.

Good luck on Phase 2.

dizzylille
06-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi all,
You all sound like you are doing so well! I am on day 6 of Phase one and have lost 6 pounds. Yeehaw. Feeling pretty darn good. I was up late last night and had a snack of celery and PB--which I don't like to do. I like to go to bed hungry for some reason:) I am ITCHING for a cocktail this weekend.That has been my issue. Last nigh was my first Friday night without one in well, forever. But like someone said before me, having and trying all these new recipes really keeps the cravings away. On to day 7!! Good luck!!

glitterlicious
06-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey everyone :)
I'm currently on day 6 of phase 1...I've already lost a considerable amount (8 lbs!) The first day or two wasnt bad bc I totally carb loaded for my last "normal meal"....but once that wore off I really struggled the past couple of days...the past couple have been much better though, and I'm hoping it will stay that way until the 14 days is up.

I was a total carb addict, but this phase has forced my body to utililize other forms of nutrition. I feel like my body is working so much better than when 85% of my total intake was carbs, and mostly white enriched ones at that. I have eaten more veggies in this week then I probably have in the past year. I think I'm finally on the right track.

As for my mood, sometimes I may get a bit more cranky or lethargic than usual but it usually passes...nothing that disturbs my life.

There are times I've been super close to jumping off the wagon, but ever day in gives me that much more reason to stick arond. I'll be like come on, I've been good for 4 days, do I really need to eat that? Every day I get closer to phase 2 i get more and more motivated to stick with it, cuz i am super excited for phase 2

SwimGirl
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
francine - I think a couple extra day's for phase 1 can be a great idea - I read somewhere that you can stay on phase 1 for 3 weeks. I am moving in tomorrow, going to add in some carrots for my first couple of days. I sure missed them :lol:

dizzy - congrats on your 6 pounds! I can SO relate to the alcohol thing, we went out for dinner last night and I really wanted a cocktail. I will be having one next Saturday!

glitter - that's an amazing loss! I used to be a carb addict too, soon you won't miss them as much.. it's like a breakup :lol: hurts pretty bad at first, but then gets easier each day! I have to admit in the first 5 days I was on the scale every single morning, reminded me of WHY I'd be willing to give up all the bad foods.

-Aimee

SwimGirl
06-13-2010, 01:01 AM
OMG, I cheated :( Last day of phase 1 too! My uncle came into town, and wanted to go out for dinner, and the best option in the ENTIRE place was wonton soup. And omg, I am paying, I am SO sick! Sore tummy, bloated, and I feel like throwing up! I guess I know what I am going to have to avoid for a long long long time. Tomorrow is supposed to be my final weigh in for phase 1, I don't think it's going to go well. I am pretty annoyed with myself right now! Grr!

-Aimee

Natalia
06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Aimee,

First off, congratulations for losing an impressive , insane, incrdible 12 LBS
in phase 1!!!!!!!

Second, one serving of wonton soup does not translate into gaining FAT. What you will see is fluid retention from the sodium, and more fluid retention from adding carbs back in.

Third, what a victory! True, perhaps you could have planned ahead, feigned illness etc, BUT what would you have ordered in the past? Deep fried greasy chicken balls with sugar sauce and enough red dye #7 to kill a horse?
Or maybe some chicken soo gai with the breaded tempura chicken, again deep fried, and smothered with a fatty gravy that is chock full of MSG?

If this was an authentic chinese place, you could maybe get steamed veggies, or a meat veg dish. I love moo goo gai pan, and at my restaurant (in hickville) I can order it with no sugar, and or no corn starch (it already supposedly has no MSG). I am staying away for now as I don't particularly trust the chefs to do the NSA thing at this crucial stage, but in a couple months- you betcha! I did protein power a couple yrs ago and ordered my moo goo NSA and it was so good and I wasn't craving anything or on a binge 1 hour later like I am with the infamous Combo #3 ..LOL

Sorry for the derail.....
In short, dust yrself off and move on. You've already accomplished something MAJOR (do you notice how many people seem to disappear after a few days of P1??)and no-one is 100% perfect, in compliance 100% off the time. I'm sure you wouldn't expect perfection from your loved ones. Doctors kill people all the time. It happens. Even absolute zero in physics is impossible.

don't be mad, upset, judgemental. No big deal. Negative self talk encourages self sabotage weight wise (well, it does for me)... Have a nice, clean, protein-rich tomorrow!!!!

SwimGirl
06-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Natalia - Thank you SO much for this post :) I tend to be pretty hard on myself - thank you perfectionist mother! I guess four wontons won't kill me, but I definitely learned a good lesson, flour = :devil: This was a family run place, but with all that really fatty, sugary foods, this was definitely the best option. Thanks again, I really do appreciate the post, it was exactly what I needed this morning!

I AM going to continue on to Phase 2 today, the bf and I had today's foods planned before I went out last night. Today we add some steamed carrots for dinner!

-Aimee

francine06
06-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Aimee - Great job on the 12 pounds. I tend to be a little hard on myself too so I understand where you're coming from but don't focus on it and instead just celebrate the great loss. Reading that just motivated me to stay on Phase I for an extra week. I only lost 5.5 pounds so far but I really think I could lose a few more during Phase I.

It's funny when we start looking forward to foods off the Phase 2 list like carrots. Mine is fruit and oatmeal. Two things I never would think about looking forward to having.

SwimGirl
06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
francine - I was thinking about oatmeal this morning too! And I don't have it in my house because I never eat it. Funny! I actually didn't lose 12 pounds, I had lost 5 pounds before I started South Beach. I am down a total of 6.9 pounds for phase 1, I also expected more since I have so much to lose. But 5.5 and 6.9 pounds is REALLY great for 2 weeks! I am going to ease myself into phase 2 very slowly considering what happened last night, so hopefully the pace that I'm losing won't slow down tooo much! Good luck with your extra week, can't wait to hear how much more you lose :)

I got on the scale this morning for my final weigh in for phase 1, down 6.9! Not what I expected from phase 1, but still happy because down is down :) And I am feeling SO much better - little reminder of how I was feeling before! On to phase 2!

-Aimee

mustangheidi
06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Well I'm trying not to get bummed, but I don't appear to have lost any weight yet (day four). I don't expect for a huge loss, this isn't a drastic change in my diet from weight watchers simply filling, but I really hope that at the end I do lose at least some :(

GradPhase
06-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Day 1 of SBD and struggling already. All I want is donuts and coffee!

Natalia
06-14-2010, 06:14 PM

YOU. CAN. DO. IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first 3 days are toughest. Tell yourself you're going to try it out for a week. Hey , you can eat anything for 7 days right? On day 8 you will be clear and not craving and it will be smooth sailing!

Tip- have lots of protein, fiber and sf drinks. You should not be hungry. You should only eat foods you enjoy and make you satisfied. Get some exciting, OP foods that you look forward to eating. Don't make ghetto salad. Make a nice, exciting salad with extras you like ( red pepper, olives, feta or other specialty cheese, no carb deli meat, a few nuts if you like, avocado if you like, etc )
You deserve delicious food! (way more delicious than a nasty ol' donut that's gonna make you even hungrier in 1/2 hour)

CyndiM
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Make sure you get your dairy and add a serving or two of beans. That will really help with the transition.

francine06
06-14-2010, 11:22 PM

I know what you mean. My first couple of days I had a bad craving for a jelly donut. Fight the craving, it will go away. ;) SF jello helped me with the sugar cravings.

faithwalker
06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm starting Phase 1 tomorrow. I'm all geared up and ready to go.

I am so sick and tired of being fat.

dizzylille
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Day ten and 9 pounds gone. Whew. Didn't eat as much as I should have yesterday. Remedied that this morning with scrambled eggs with cheese and 2slices of turkey and cherry tomatoes. Lunch will be leftover broccoli and a big tuna salad. Dinner--hmmm? I hope you all are feeling encouraged. I am definitely going a bit up and down--impatient. I don't know why I feel like all this weight should just fall off after 10 days:) Good luck!

Cindymarie
06-16-2010, 03:28 PM
40+ and Mustang, I haven't transitioned in to a clean phase 1 either. I blew it this weekend by having two wine coolers. I'm hoping this week goes better. :)

GradPhase
06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I gave in and had a tuna sammich. I've got midterms this week, and the sugar crash made me really nervous about my exams. Bad planning, but I just got so tired of feeling so blegh all the time. I wanted to just dive in and do it. (Possibly with a side of masochism and wanting to punish myself for being so blegh and letting myself get so unhealthy?) I plan to restart this coming Sunday, after my last midterm on Saturday and the Summer Solstice festival :) I'm planning all of my meals this weekend, and sticking to it. See you chicks then!

kpannell
06-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I am new...day 3 of phase 1. Doing okay so far.....albeit a little tired and still fighting cravings pretty hard!

I actually came across this site when I was looking for Phase 1 recipes and boy did it save me! I found some GREAT recipes so I finally feel like I can do this.

I am looking forward to the support on this site too!

Thanks for all of the advice and sharing. It helps!

juju814
06-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, I made it through day 1 just fine. Probably thanks to the fact that I'm having a horrible allergic reaction to something and felt like I was on deaths doorstep yesterday, so didn't eat much.

Here's what I ate:
wake: muscle milk whey protein shake (2g sugar)
11am scrambled eggs w/ veggies, cheese, and 1 slice ham
1pm post workout muscle milk shake
3:30pm broccoli and hummus
6pm baked haddock, brussel sprouts and salad

and that's it..then I went to bed. I can't believe it. I only went to bed because I was on 50 mg of Benadryl.

So here I am..hives all over me going to the doctor in a bit. I'm assuming the allergy is to the tetanus shot I had earlier this week. The ONLY other thing that's new or different in the last 7 days is this muscle milk stuff. But I've had whey protein a zillion times before in my life. I really think it's the tetanus shot.

I've only had coffee so far today. Going to make some bacon and eggs and after I see the doctor today, get my butt to the grocery store to make some of the yummy recipes I see here and elsewhere on the net!!!

Julie

dizzylille
06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi all,
Phase 1 is over...lost 10 pounds. Think it could be more but AF is at my doorstep:) Hubby is a couple of days behind me. So I may hang out with P1 for a couple more days. Feeling pretty good except for the INTENSE chocolate cravings of this time of the month. Good luck!

Natalia
06-21-2010, 03:29 PM
wow, 10lbs is a fantastic loss for phase one, especially at your low start weight. Congratulations!

GradPhase
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Starting phase 1 again today. Had eggs, cheese and turkey bacon with a glass of milk for breakfast. Spending my morning making lunch, dinner and snacks to bring to work tonight. Today is going to be a good day!

mustangheidi
06-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Well I have two more days left on phase 1 and so far I have lost 6 pounds, which I'm very happy with !! I think I might stick it out another week at least for phase one before phase two. I really want to make sure I gravite towards veggies/cheese slices for snacks and a lot less fruit !

mescelestus
06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Today is my second day of Ph 1, and I am disgusted by food. (I guess that's good?)...except my Greek yogurt, that has always been one of my faves. I am trying to imagine what I will lose on ph 1 just to motivate me (but I know it's not good to assume I will lose a lot...but jeez is 10lbs too much to ask?) (probably...we'll see) (I will not falter on this...just making it through these two days (with a poorly stocked kitchen) shows me I have all the tools I need! Good luck to all.

juju814
06-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Started phase 1 on Friday and just finished day 4. When I went to the gym midday today, I hopped on the scale and was down 5 lbs already!!!:carrot:

I am finding this incredibly easy! I am enjoying kalyns kitchen website for some great recipes, as well as the recipes in the forum here!! Great ideas!

I'm finding as long as I do a little planning, the cravings are staying away and I'm not having any hunger.

It's almost too good to be true that I'm not suffering. Hope I'm doing this right.. LOL

mescelestus
06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Today is day 3 for me, and I am feeling a lot better than I was yesterday. I can honestly say I didn't expect to feel this good. I am not full of energy, or over the moon, but no headache and not particularly tired. Cravings have not subsided, but are way less. I still can't wait to see the results at the end of the two weeks...I'll be patient! For me this is mentally easier than calorie counting or a lot of other plans because I know exsactly what I should and should not eat. It's great.

GradPhase
06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I felt pretty bad yesterday too. This morning I woke up feeling fantastic though. Hitting the kitchen to cook my stuff for today again. My saving grace last night was the s/f fudgcicles and peanut butter dessert. Yum-mo!

But I already really hate eggs. Boooooo.

mescelestus
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Eskinomad- I kind of don't like eggs unless I am really in the mood for them...there are ways to "hide" eggs or egg whites in things if you want the nutrition or full feeling from them. If you haven't already you should check out the phase 1 breakfast and dessert ideas...lots of them include eggs in non-traditional ways.

sarahsk
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I am on day 3 of phase 1...today is much easier than the past two days when I was in a bad mood. I am already noticing a difference in the way I feel, and I am not as hungry as usual.

I am traveling for work for the next few days--so I went to the store to stock up on snacks and other food to travel with me. Trying to stay motivated--and reading the posts on this thread helps tremendously!

Good luck everyone!

GradPhase
06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Day 3 for me, and still no appetite, despite beans and milk. Booo. Starting tomorrow my day, out of the house, will run from 8 am until 11 pm (that's work and school, for you I guess) - I'm struggling to find things to take with me so I can eat when I'm away. I can keep pistachios on me while I'm at work, and I'm currently searching crock pot recipes so I don't have to slave in the kitchen for too long (I'm short enough on time as it is). I've got hummus and cucumbers. And if I see another cheese stick I might die. Are there any other great ideas I'm missing that you chickies can think of to help get me through Phase 1?

sckakame
06-23-2010, 06:59 PM
I am on day 3, phase 1 and I did a major boo boo at lunch. I dont even want to recap it, but I know why. I didn' eat breakfast, and I havent' been making time for snacks. I am going to go to set times to eat again, just to get my body to behave like it is supposed to. I am not really going to "start over" at day one tomorrow though, I am just picking up and moving foward at dinner tonight. ( I have been an avid LOW LOW carber for a long time now, and am ready to get rid of the yo yo I put myself on.)

kirby28oconnell
07-02-2010, 02:03 AM
woowee. i'm on day four of phase one and yesterday and today have been the toughest sleepy wise. but i, too, found that dairy really helps up my energy. i had a medium skim latte with sweetnlow and felt right as rain again. i'm pumped about sbd and am taking the fatigue as a sign that my body is readjusting and changing in the way it's supposed to. can't wait!

CaliforniaMelanie
07-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Day 7 of Phase I (on July 2 -- actually, as I post this, it's still July 1 in California) -- I had to go back and look at my journal to find out what day I'm on. I'm not really holding on for Phase II for dear life because I know I won't be making huge changes at that time. I know, for example, that I will probably never incorporate bread, even whole-grain bread, into my diet again. I have lots of experience with attempting it...in fact, I have about 60 pounds of experience with just this sort of thing. :o

I also know I'll be going verrrrrrrrry slowly on my fruits. Oranges may never pass my lips again without my paying for it in I-will-kill-you-for-that-Twinkie-you're-holding cravings. I mean I just know this stuff. So I'll be starting PII with the lowest glycemic index fruit I can find, and only a bit of it, and only with a protein...and only in the afternoon or evening. Whew! Anyway, I guess that's why I'm losing track of the days; I'm not really counting down to anything huge. And I'm so fine and so happy with that.

I feel good. I feel like I'm eating too often, but I have lost weight. I was peeing insanely all last night so I realize much of it is water. That's fine with me and makes perfect sense.

I had a headache yesterday but today it's gone. I was also low-energy yesterday, but way better today. :)

I've been exercising daily, but nothing crazy. I do 20 minutes a night of Liz Gilles Pilates.

snackiejackie
07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello friends,

soo glad to see so many newbies succeding! I am just about done day 3 phase 1. my first time trying south beach. i was a ww girl for years! but it just stopped working and it was soo easy to cheat. i am LOVING the strictness of this plan. it makes it easy to stick to. i have lost 4 lbs so far!!!!

i do have a few questions however hopeflly this is the right arena for them:

~ can you eat the south beach meal bars in phase 1..i dont think so but you never know.

~ are headaches normal? i had one the first 2 days but have found on day 3 i am headache free!!!! and my appetite is already changing!

thanks in advance for the help!!!

woodgal1
07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Day 6 for me on PH1. I started losing a little over a month ago. Doctor has me on meds for obesity. But I was losing slow and the scale was going up and down so much. I could not eat all of the 1700 calories he wanted me to eat.
So I cut my meds in half, and decided I needed to get rid of the bread and potatoes and rice. I read about SB a few years ago but never tried it. I tried Atkins for about 4 days awhile back but felt weird and greasy hahaa.
So I read up on SB again and lurked the boards and started. I lost 3 pounds this past week and did not go up and down just down.

I just finished dinner a little bit ago. Made Jenns shrimp dish with the basil over in the phase one entrees here. And the spinach and Made Glenns baked mashed cauliflower with cheese. DH got mashed taters with his but he loved the shrimp.

I also had some frozen carbmaster yogurt today. Put 2 cups of the vanilla along with a little cocoa powder in the ice cream maker. When it was done churning I added some natural peanut butter. Ate 1/2 cup.

I'm feeling really good. Not sleepy in the afternoons at all. (that could be part diet med though)

jackie- I have noticed some on here have headaches when they first start. If you were a caffiene user or sugar eater giving those items up can cause headaches for a bit, but they will go away. Don't know about the SB bars cause I don't use them.

murphmitch
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
~ can you eat the south beach meal bars in phase 1..i dont think so but you never know.

~ are headaches normal? i had one the first 2 days but have found on day 3 i am headache free!!!! and my appetite is already changing!

thanks in advance for the help!!!

Just as you suspected, meal bars are not OK for Phase I. They contain grains, but also brown rice syrup is the second ingredient (sugar) and they contain more sugars, lots of additives and some questionable bad fats. Most of us avoid them when in Phase II and try to eat less processed food. I know they set off cravings for me.

A lot of us have headaches in Phase I, especially in the first week, but it sounds like you're feeling better already. I know on Day 3 for me I was also nauseous most of the day. Eating beans and having milk or yogurt sometimes helps, as they contain a little more carbs.

MrsKJr
07-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's see, I'm on day 6 and so far I'm doing OK! No major cravings, just having a little trouble with lunches, because I can't have a lot of spinach (medication) and I'm used to having spinach salads... Romaine and iceberg will work fine, they're just not the nutritional powerhouse that spinach is.

Anyway, I'm down 8.2 pounds, which I'm thrilled with! I think I owe a little of that to the lousy (HOT and HUMID) weather here in Mass. I've been far more interested in drinking than eating. I've been eating much lighter meals than usual. If the weather cools down, I'm thinking there might be an "adjustment" in my weight as I eat more regular meals. Anyone else finding that???

Julie

snackiejackie
07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
ann, thanks so much for your answers!!

i am on day 7 of ph 1 and feeling good. had to skip b-fast today...wasnt feeling soo hot. but got in a snack and a great salad for lunch. starting to really crave fruit again!!! but luckily having no bread or pasta cravings yet..:carrot:

i just want to congratulate everyone on sticking withit! coming out of a weekend and still going strong speaks alot to your will to loose the weight!

Fat Melanie
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
@ Glitterlicious, you are 6'3? You could be a supermodel!!!

Hey Phase 1 chicks, I was on my last day of a clean Phase 1 today. It's something I've done many times before. In the early stages (over 2 years ago), I'd cheat, freak out, get back on plan, then cheat again, freak out some more, and eventually eat my way into oblivion. After awhile I mastered a clean Phase 1, but then I would not have enough in the budget to continue eating healthily and would have to go for cheaper, carby options, and that totally destroyed my efforts at making a lifestyle change. I took some time off to gather all my information and truly sit down and plan out everything, budget, food lists, and all. This time around I did MUCH planning, and I'm extremely confident I'll be able to continue having OP foods in the house. I have no excuse stopping me this time. I REFUSE to allow any excuses to stop me this time.

Also wanted to say that because of the yo-yo 'dieting' I have done over the past couple of years, going on SBD and never fully making it a lifestyle change, and then going back to regular eating and binge eating, I've gained more weight (a cycle of losing, then gaining, then losing, then gaining more, and losing, then gaining even more, and so on. It's ****. So try to stick with it and make those lifestyle changes ! Trust me. ) I wanted to say this not to scare or alarm you, but to hopefully show you a bad example of what not to do (like I have done in the past) and tell you that this is no fad diet, and you can't treat it as such, as I have. It is truly a lifestyle change! You must stick with it to see results and be able to maintain results.

I'm trying new recipes, always excited about dinner at the end of the day, and it's been really fun this time around. I've been doing 10 minute hypnosis relaxation tapes as well to aid me in the process. It's not a magical cure, but it's a good way to fill your mind with positive affirmations. It's not something that would work for everyone, but it does help me.

So I'm supposed to be going on phase 1.5 but I don't know if I can do it. I am so comfortable on Phase 1, and I may even go for another week if possible. Then will start phase 1.5 by adding in a simple fruit a day, such as an apple (pectin in apples is good for you!) or strawberries. I'm learning new ways of cooking things without having to have grains, and I've never been able to stick to portion sizes when it comes to rices and pastas so I would have to ease into that SUPER SUPER SLOWLY.

So I'll be joining you guys for the next week because I can't bring myself to start Phase 1.5 quite yet. Have not weighed myself since I started Phase 1 this time, so I'm not sure how much I lost.

And I must say, I read all of your posts and you guys are doing GREAT!!!!

Jlyne327
07-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone! I'm on day two of phase one. I had a melt down this afternoon. I think part of it is that I'm close to that time of the month. I was craving fruit because before starting South Beach, my mom and I were eating a ton of fruit from Costco (cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries). I'm still struggling with the idea that I can't have these foods for awhile. I understand the whole idea of GI and everything, but I just don't want to believe it so I can eat more carbs. Ugh! It's hard, but I still haven't had anything on the no-no list.

To everyone else, awesome work!! :)

BellaLucia
07-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I've got 10 days left!