Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default I did NOT give up!

This is probably my most important victory so far - even more than losing a specific amount of weight.

On 4/10, I got to a low of 221.8. And then I got sick and started to lose control and bounced up and down and mostly up, eventually all the way back to 228.4. In the past, I've always had a very all or nothing approach to weight loss - I could stick with it for a while but once I slipped, that was it, I would just give up and put back on whatever I had lost, and then, over time, add to it.

But not this time! When I saw those numbers getting perilously close to 230 again, something snapped and I said NO! I am not going back there this time. So after a couple of false starts, I settled back in and really refocused and recommitted at the beginning of May. The first week was great, and I saw a lot of progress. The last week has been tough, just going up and down in the same 1 lb range but never getting back to my low. And I did NOT give up - I had to believe that if I kept staying on plan, at some point, the scale would reflect that. And today, it finally did.

I'm very happy to be at a new 3fc low, and working my way forward again. But I'm just absolutely thrilled that I stayed here - I kept posting every day, even on the daily weigh in thread, watching my weight going up and up. I didn't just give up and disappear and no longer hold myself accountable for my weight loss. I have NEVER done this before and it feels fantastic! I know that this time, I can succeed because even if I mess up, that doesn't have to stop me.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Awesome job girl!! Keep going!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #3  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

That is so great! I am similar. I lose 40 pounds, then spend six months gaining it back. I have done this three times the past three years.

Good for you for nipping it in the bud before gaining a larger amount of weight.

Best wishes for you to continue reaching your goals!
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Wow, I'm so proud of you! I love your "stick to it" attitude. That's what we've got to do in order to make this a lifetime commitment, and it sounds like you are on the right track!

MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #5  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Yay!!! I'm proud of you for sticking with it.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Good for you...that's what it's all about.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm so proud of you too!! I know you've been struggling, but I just love your attitude. You seem very level headed about this and your patience astounds me. You understand that this is a race, not a journey and you live it.

I'm amazed at anyone who continues to post even when the motivation is not there and the pounds are creeping up.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

amazinggggggggg!!!! That's exactly what happened to me and made THIS time successful ~ ditching the all or nothing mentality is JUST as important as ditching the weight

you go girlie!!!!!!!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

You know, it takes a lot of courage to post weight gains on a weight loss board, and I commend you for it. I was up a couple of pounds recently and I just quit posting when -- in reality -- when we need the support the most is when we should post. Thanks for the lesson and the leadership. CJ
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post

And I did NOT give up - I had to believe that if I kept staying on plan, at some point, the scale would reflect that. And today, it finally did.
This is SO AWESOME! I remember having the same realization myself, a few months ago, when I felt like no matter what I did the scale didn't budge and I could tell I was really in danger of losing focus....

Then, suddenly, I had this realization. I started thinking of myself as a train chugging down the track, and I imagined that the different weight goals were like different stations. All I had to do was stay on the train, and eventually, I'd pull into a new weight loss station. I didn't have to control the train, or push the accelerator, or really do anything. All I had to do was stay on the train.

Ok, so I'm metaphorically minded... but that's me. Chugging along.

TOOT TOOT!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #11  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

You Rock!!
That reminded me of a quote that I really like "Victory belongs to the most persevering."
Kudos to you!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutsMom704 View Post
...But I'm just absolutely thrilled that I stayed here - I kept posting every day, even on the daily weigh in thread, watching my weight going up and up. I didn't just give up and disappear and no longer hold myself accountable for my weight loss. I have NEVER done this before and it feels fantastic! I know that this time, I can succeed because even if I mess up, that doesn't have to stop me.

ATTA GIRL!!!!

That is exactly the attitude you need to succeed! I know I would have never been able to reach my goal and now maintain it if I called "failure" at the first slip. That's what makes this time totally different than all the rest. It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 05-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #13  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Thank you for posting! It really helps me hear about rebounding after having a setback because I've given up before. I took any misstep to be a reason why I could never succeed. My path doesn't have to be perfect to be a success.

The Perfect is the enemy of the good (thanks, Voltaire).
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

thank you so much everyone. I was guessing I wasn't the only one who had the pattern of giving up too easily, so I'm glad that I'm not alone, and hopefully, the more of us that can work through our struggles with this, we'll help to keep each other on track!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Congrats! That's a major accomplishment!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote