Exercise! - 4th -4 wk. challenge PLEASE JOIN!

View Full Version : 4th -4 wk. challenge PLEASE JOIN!

jacksonmom
09-17-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm starting another challenge. It started on 9/16-10/14. All you have to do is figure out how much exercise you plan to do in the next 4 wks. and post your weekly totals by Sun. I will tally up the totals on Mon. Happy exercising!

Jacksonmom...goal 60 mi

Kina...goal 100 mi.

4myself...goal 30 mi.

madtypist...goal 100 mi.

Daretobeu...goal 40 mi

Stef...goal 200 mi

Daretobeu
09-17-2002, 10:25 PM
Hi Gang---For this goal I will do 40 miles (10 each week). A quick question---do you count the miles you've walked normally thruout the day, or just those that you're exercising??? Good luck everyone!!!!

stef
09-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Oops I forgot to post my last total. I was still short (I made 202).

I'll aim for 200 this month. I think the weather closing in will prevent my extended lunchtime walks!

Stef

jacksonmom
09-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Welcome back stef and daretobeu! My computer is having problems so if you don't see me for a couple of days that is why. But I will keep updating weekly! So evryone please post and join in!

4myloves
09-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Jacksonmom,

I walked 5 miles this week. I'll try to do better next week!!

4myself
(9/16-9/20)

Kina
09-20-2002, 08:42 PM
4myself~~~~The week isn't over yet sweetie. Unless you know you won't be doing any mileage on Saturday or Sunday. And don't stress yourself over doing better. You did excellent. That is a great start. You know we are so busy in this world so 5 miles is a great accomplishment and is a whole lot better than 0 miles. Keep up the great work.

Kinarina

madtypist
09-21-2002, 09:46 PM
Hi to everyone!!!!!!!!!

How are ya all doing????????? I hope everyone had a good week.

I rode 37 miles this week so that was a good week, on Monday I got out twice so that was a bonus.

Next week I will probably have to get into the walking a mile tape,,:( I don't like that idea, oh well I will have to get used to it, I just don't know how to compare the walk a mile workout to my bike riding. It sure is more of a workout doing the tape, but not milage wise. Oh well I will figure something out.

Have a great week!!!!!!

;) Suzanne

Daretobeu
09-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Hi Gang---I did 15 miles this week. Gonna push myself to do the extra 5 miles a week. Had some family problems--daughter broke her pinky toe, son had his messenger bag stolen at school, and my dad is doing his %$#@^stuff at me again--so the extra miles relieved some stress!!! LOL I like to keep track of my miles from Sunday to Saturday--its easier for me. Hope everyone had a good week--Janel

happy2bme
09-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Eee gads, missed a week as I was out of town on business. Would still like to get in tho. Put me up for 30 again. Will have 0 for this first week - we're getting a new treadmill Tuesday and DH took apart the old one while I was gone :no: But, I will make up for lost time. Thanks again for keeping this going Jacksonmom - you're an :angel:

novachaos
09-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Sign me up for 40 miles (for the month)!! Now all I have to do is drag my butt out of bed in the morning to do it! ;) That and stay away from the chocolate! :nono:

Bev
09-22-2002, 09:41 PM
IS it too late to join. If not I will walk 35 miles for the month. I am so glad that I found this challenge. I have been looking all over for walking challenges.

Kina
09-23-2002, 01:53 AM
Turning in mileage really quickly before I head for the showers. I was trying to get as much in before the weekend was over. My total mileage for this week is 33 miles. I missed a day of exercise. I am shooting to exceed that this week.

Welcome all of the new challengers. It is not too late to join. It is a great motivator. The Angel in disguise Jacksonmom is the one to calculate our mileage at the end. But it is certainly not too late. We have 3 weeks left in the challenge but you can certainly get plenty of mileage in 3 weeks! Just put your best foot forward.

Talk with you all later. I am off to the shower and then to dreamland. Bye.
Kinarina

SEMO
09-23-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh my goodness, how did I let this slip by me.....

I'm going to do 500 minutes for the four weeks. Only did a mere 90 minutes (what I can actually remember) last week.

500 - 90 = 410 minutes to go

stef
09-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Woah! This thread is certainly getting popular! We should probably have badges or something I met Jackson Mom's Challenge

I did manage my 50 miles last week - a spot of house hunting on Sunday certainly helped! No luck though, and no-one seems to want our flat either:(

Ho Hum. The scales still haven't moved, I am going to have some stern words with them later! But I will have to admit defeat. Exercise alone really doesn't shift weight - you really do have to watch what you eat as well. I knew that really, all my disseratation info said so, my own research said so but I still had to prove it for myself - stubborn or what?!?!?!:o

I lost my pedometer but as they are so cheap I will be buying another. But that does mean I will be guesstimating for a couple of days!

Stef

lodyangel
09-23-2002, 03:06 PM
:) Hello everybody! Can i get in on this???

I will work towards 35 miles for the rest of the time left...

By the way I am currently walk/running...I am trying to work myself up to running a 5k...so I have been doing 2 miles a day, and today I am going to do 3 miles...it will be a challenge, but well worth it.

I have osteo arthritis in a my major joints...shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, hips, knees, ankles, toes...

Have a great week!

jacksonmom
09-23-2002, 09:54 PM
First weeks totals! Sorry there late but been having computer problems. Everyone is off to a good start. To all the newbies WELCOME!

Jacksonmom...goal 60 mi...12

Kina...goal 100 mi....33

4myself...goal 30 mi...5

madtypist...goal 100 mi...37

daretobeu...goal 40 mi...15

stef...goal 200 mi...50

happy2bme...goal 30 mi...0

novachaos...goal 40 mi..just joined

its_my_life...goal 35 mi...just joined

semo...goal 500 min....90

lodyangel...goal 35 mi...just joined

lodyangel
09-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Hello chickees! How is everyone this morning?

Day one total: 3.3 miles...

plan on doing 2 today.:D

lodyangel
09-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Tuesday I did 2 miles

Wednesday...0 miles...strength training day....

Total for week so far....5.3 miles

Thursday 3 miles (in the rain)

Total for week so far....8.3 miles Off to a good start....

Bev
09-27-2002, 11:17 PM
Iwalked 6 miles this week.

Daretobeu
09-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Hi Gang---I did 15 miles again this week. I figured I'd post today as I'm out of town Sat and Sun. Hope all is well with everyone-we're getting plenty of rain this week and I'm thankful that I got the WATP tapes!!!! See ya'll next week-Janel

jacksonmom
09-28-2002, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA but was out of town for a couple of days. I will post totals on Mon. I'm still having some computer problems so bear with me.

lodyangel- looks like your off to a GREAT start. That's real MOTIVATION when your exercising in the rain. Keep it up!

To all newbies the board is a little slow right now don't give up on this challenge this thread will get more action. I think alot of the ones who have been doing this challenge for awhile are trying to get back in the swing of things with school starting and everything. I will talk with everyone on Mon. Have a great weekend.

Kina
09-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Whoo! I got a little light headed the other day and all of a sudden I :faint: . Just like that! I don't understand what may have caused it. So needless to say I have slacked off on my exercises.

I went to see the DR and it was really stupid to tell you the truth...they took a look at me asked me when was my last cycle and said "So you're not pregnant." :chin: No blood work, no urine test and they know I am not pregnant. Yes I am taking the pill but the way I look at it...is you never know. I don't know maybe it is all in my head but every food makes me queezy. And I have been :cookie: :donut: :burger: :chockiss: snacking so badly.

Well the Dr said that my body may have just had its fill of Slim Fast and I should stop for a while. That perhaps the sugar that day just did a number on me. Who knows! He also figures that stress had a :devil: roll in the whole episode. Then he says you should find a different approach to losing weight.

Then I mentioned to him how my husband has dropped 20#s in just a matter of weeks by following the all protein diet and he was totally supportive of that diet. So he suggested that if I want to continue to lose weight that may be a wise path to take. :halffull: So I am seriously considering it.

Well I thought I would put in my two pennies of how life is treating me. I will tally my mileage this Sunday. I hope to hear from all of you soon.

:cb: Kina

shoshana
09-30-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi, I am brand-new on 3FC today, and I want to join the walking challenge for the 14 days that are left. There is a 2.5 mile loop nearby, so that makes 17.5 miles per week, a total of 35 miles by October 14. Sign me up!!

happy2bme
09-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Hello all,
Put me down for 8 miles for the week ending yesterday. Wanted to do 10 but homework and sleep got in the way!

Hope you're feeling better Kina. I think a change in diet would be good - give you a more well rounded (no pun intended :lol: ) nutritional plan than 2 Slim Fast meals. You need the protein to feed the muscles and the hi carbs for energy. Learning to mix the right amount of real foods also seems to help people keep the weight off since eventually you do have to learn how to eat that way anyway.

Have a good week everyone...

madtypist
09-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Hi everyone:

Welcome to all the new ladies. :)

I sounds like everyone is doing lots of walking and exercising, gald to hear you are back on track Kina, I'm sure you will be feeling alot better this week with the Doc's advice. With all your exercising you will notice a change I'm sure.

I did 20.5 miles last week. Thanks Jacksonmom for doing all the posting I know it takes time to do. :)

I am off today and the weather is great so I will go and do my ride for the day. I hope you all have a great week.

:) Suzanne

4myloves
09-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Kina, thanks for the words of inspiration! Lord knows I NEED THEM!! I tried to do better last week, and I did--I did 5 and one-half miles, instead of 5 miles. Small steps, right? I do plan on working up to more, as weather and work schedule permit.

I also ordered the WATP tapes off of e-bay. Just sent the $ in today, and can't wait to get them. When I do, I'm going to try to start getting up around 20-30 minutes earlier to do a mile in the morning, in addition to the 2 miles I TRY to do in the afternoons. It seems like an impossible goal, but I would like to eventually walk 5 miles/day. We'll see.....

Kina, I know this is the wrong forum, but I've now been back on Slim Fast for a little over three weeks. I do really well throughout the week, but the week-ends are tough. I have a mother and a fiance that love to EAT OUT!! And it's so hard to say "no" when other folks are paying (especially when I don't really have the desire to say no in the first place!!)!

Jacksonmom, sorry I didn't get my total in for the count by yesterday--I was hoping that I'd get some exercise in over the week-end. Didn't happen, unless I can count helping a friend unload furniture at her new apartment :)

5 1/2 miles for week #2

stef
09-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Ooops. I had a truly lazy week. So only got in 40 miles. I did no walking outside of classes. I didn't even do any ironing, went to a BBQ instead (no alcohol, designated driver, and I stuck to plain salad and stuff eeeeeeeeeuk).

I expect that I'll make some up over the next couple of weeks. I have started to exercise for me!!! I'll go swimming most mornings, I think.

lodyangel
10-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Hello all... I did 10.8 miles run/ walking for last week...

I did 2.5 Monday!:)...mostly walking...I was tired!

Glad to see everyone else is doing well! 14 days left...that's 1.6 miles a day average to make goal...I am about right on target I guess...

Tuesday....ran 1 mile (timed...read my journal to see how that went...) walked one mile....total mileage 2 miles

Wednesday...walked 2 miles

Total mileage for week so far: 6.5 miles:D

Thursday...day off

Friday...ran 1 ,ile...walked one mile...total 2miles...

Total milage for week so far: 8.5 miles

fatchickfour
10-01-2002, 07:24 PM
Shed a stone for Santa! I love it, Steph!
Just started a Christmas Wish List of my own, yesterday. I wish, I wish, I wish I could lose 20 lbs!!

So, okay, I'm late, but I'm in. Got two weeks. Put me down for 200 miles, walking and biking. I'll get it one way or the other. If my bike doesn't toss me in contempt. (It's been too long.)

Couple of hours of light yet, guess I might as well get started...

Thanks for the challenge. I really needed it.

Daretobeu
10-02-2002, 01:40 PM
Hi Gang!!! So far this week I've done 9 miles. Putting in an early post as we leave for disneyworld tomorrow. Planning on doing another 3mile tape on fri. When I found out the charge for a vcr ($70.00 for 5 days!!!) I recorded miles 2 and 3 on a cassette tape. So its going too and I WILL do it while there!!!! Have a great week everyone!!!! Janel

jacksonmom
10-02-2002, 03:13 PM
Week 2 totals! Sorry SO LATE!

Jacksonmom...goal 60...25

Kina...goal 100...33

4myself...goal 30...10.5

madtypist...goal 100...57.5

daretobeu...goal 40...24

stef...goal 200...90

happy2bme...goal 30...8

Semo...goal 500 min....90 min.

lodyangel...goal 35...10.8

shoshana...goal 35...just joined

fatchickfour...goal 200...just joined

jacksonmom
10-02-2002, 03:15 PM
kina- I didn't get your toals for the second week. Sorry about getting dizzy. Don't you love it when you go to the doctor and they do nothing and say call me if it doesn't get better.

I'm off to a great start this week with exercising. I've already done 15 mi. Talk with everyone later.

Daretobeu
10-02-2002, 09:31 PM
Just a little correction--- week of Sept 15 I did 15 miles; week of Sept 22 I did another 15 miles: and then week of Sept 29 9 miles so far--total of 39. Almost to my 4 week goal in 3 weeks. Maybe I need to up my goal next time LOL Catch ya'll next week--Janel

stef
10-03-2002, 07:32 PM
The Shed a Stone for Santa was sort of started over on UKFC almost as a joke. I didn't invent it, I jumped on the band wagon - I think it was Veggie that started it...

But hey! Santa does the US doesn't he? I'll start a thread here and then see how the 2 sides of the pond do!

RACE YOU.....:)

fatchickfour
10-06-2002, 02:24 PM
anyone ever hear of the twenty-four day flu? I'm only at eight so far, but I'm working on it. Nevertheless, the totals so far.... 15.6 walking/11.6 biking. Total to date... 27.2. Okay, so I'm a little behind... if you'll excuse me, I've got a date with a bed and a box of tissues.... Hope it's not catching! :faint:

Kina
10-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Working hard at it! I haven't gotten my mileage in for Sunday but I plan on it. So I will post later today. I hope that everyone is doing well. I didn't get as much mileage as I had the 1st week. But since my fainting spell, last week, I have had to take it easy...DRs orders. I am feeling better but I am a little shaky in most things that I do. I guess it just scared me that I just fainted just like that. So okay I will post my mileage this evening.

You shall hear from me again.
Kina

stef
10-06-2002, 06:29 PM
I did 54 miles, my car went into the garage and I had to walk home twice, not to mention all the pre Christmas window shopping.

Guess what I actually lost a pound in weight too! I don't believe it we're going down again (I only got stuck for 4 months...)!

lodyangel
10-06-2002, 11:35 PM
Hello Chickees...I hope everyone is doing well...Kina glad to hear you are feeling better...

I lapsed on Sat, and Sunday....no milage for the last 2 days...

Total for week....8.5 miles
Total for month so far...18.8 miles...

16.2 miles left to go... I will have to push a little bit to make goal!!! But that is why we call it a goal, right? Something to work for!

happy2bme
10-07-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi All,
Please mark me down for 8 miles for the week. Would have got in more but am wrestling with DH for use of the treadmill. :lol: Have a good week!

stef
10-07-2002, 09:22 AM
Wrestling with DH? How many miles and/or calories does that use then? I might try it out....

Stef:devil: :D :D

jacksonmom
10-07-2002, 03:00 PM
3rd week totals! I don't have everybody will add as I get them. Let me know of any errors!

Jacksonmom...goal 60...45

Kina...goal 100...63

4myself...goal 30...10.5

madtypist...goal 100...79

daretobeu...goal 40...39

stef...goal 200...144

happy2bme...goal 30...16

lodyangel...goal 35...18.8

fatchickfour...goal 200...38.8

We have one more week left for this challenge. THis will be the last challenge that I'll host. I'm starting back to work part-time. THe challenge can cont. with another host or we can each keep our tally on our own and post it weekly. Let me know what you think.

madtypist
10-07-2002, 05:26 PM
Hi to all:

Hope everyone is doing fine.

Well I am in for 21.5 miles for the week, thanks Jacksonmom.

It has been very windy here the past few days and the weather is fall like, closed the pool :( and getting ready outside for the first arrival of snow...:mad: hopefully it will be a long way off.

Have a great week ladies.

Kina
10-07-2002, 05:42 PM
I didn't get to get on the computer last night after my exercise. So I am posting my mileage for this past week. I did another 15!

Thank you Jacksonmom for all your help and motivation by starting this thread. I understand your life is about to get busier. If you need someone to volunteer to be a new host I wouldn't mind. Or if others would rather keep tabs of their own mileage that is good too. I do know that by making a commitment and having to see my successes or defeats has kept me plugging away with each of your challenges. So just let me know.

Okay back to the old drawing board of homework. Talk again
Kina:cb:

jacksonmom
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
I added your mileage madtypist and Kina.

Kina if you want to do it that's fine or we can report our own whatever the group wants. Have fun with your homework. TTYL

lodyangel
10-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Hello Chickees...

Please keep this thread going!!! I have really enjoyed these challenges!

Monday 2.5 miles...
Wednesday 2.0 miles...
Thursday 3.0 miles...7.5 miles half way to this week's goal...

Need to walk 3 miles a day to make goal...

fatchickfour
10-09-2002, 03:00 AM
put me down for another 11.6.

or just put me down.... :faint:

jacksonmom
10-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Man I had a killer workout today. I started doing this spinning class at the Y 2x week. and today she killed us! My legs still hurt and I took the class 3 hrs. ago. Better go pop some ibrubrufin for these muscle aches. THe sad but good thing is i have to go see my trainer tomorrow to go the program she devised. So tomorrow will be a double ouch! I know it's good for me. Hope everyone is doing well. I thought what we could do for the next challenge is everyone keep up their own totals and post them daily, weekly whatever. It could look something like this

goal 60 miles...55.

Let me know what you think? Also be thinking of your new goal. The next challenge is starting on Mon.

madtypist
10-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi to all:

Hey Jacksonmom you are sure doing mega workouts ouch..... and yes you are right it is good for you.
It sure will be worth it.

Great idea about keeping our own totals, no problem with that for me..

I hope everyone is having a great week.

fatchickfour
10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
+ 5.2

and I think I've finally defeated the demon of disease... or he's simply tired of me. so tomorrow we'll see what we can make of the rest of the week. my bike's actually beginning to look attractive. I must be on the mend!

happy2bme
10-10-2002, 12:42 AM
That's great Jacksonmom that you took up spin classes. Some people at the gym said that is one of the best classes when it comes to fat burning and cardio toning. Remember that water, stretches, water, gentle stretches and ibuprofin will help ease those aches and pains quicker.

I'm all for us keeping track of of our own progress on the next challenge. This time around I think I'd like to do minutes/hours of exercise activity which would let me include other exercises I do routinely that can't be measured in miles.

Keep rolling along ladies...

RaceWalker
10-10-2002, 09:32 PM
I'm getting back on my feet again (literally, as in off my backside! LOL!) after almost 9 years of not racewalking. ouch! But the way I got started the first time was to just walk every other day. Even if I only walked a couple of minutes or around the block, and there was never guilt, only pressing ahead. That was the deal, and before I knew it I was racewalking 4 or 5 times every week. Kept that up for just over a year and it was awesome! Everything regulated...sleep, appetite, energy, mood, cholesterol, etc...
So obviously my goal has to be the same as it was before...to just get off my backside every other day and get the habit established. Not very impressive, but I'm really going for effective. :)

Kina
10-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Hello everybody. I had a algebra test today. I think it went well. It only had 9 problems so you can imagine how many points each one is worth. So I hope I did okay.

I also put in a few miles this morning and I probably will get a few more in tonight and this weekend. Glad to see that everyone is doing so well.

I have been working really hard at drinking 3 liters of water which adds up to 12 glasses of water. So far I have drinken only 4 glasses and it is already 2 pm. That is not good.

I have to honestly say my body does not know if it wants to lose or gain. The scale goes up and down but never further down from where I started. So I am hoping to atleast maintain for the week.

So pardon my disappearing act now.:wizard: *POOF*
Kina

4myloves
10-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Hey all!!

I missed posting last week, but that's no biggie, since I only walked 2 1/2 miles. This week I did better, logged in 6.
Thanks to you, Jacksonmom, for keeping up with all this stuff for us. Kina, thank you, too, for being willing to help her!

Cheryl

Oh, Kina, what's the latest with the Slim-fast prob?

Kina
10-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Cheryl~~~nothing new other than I haven't been drinking slim fast for about 2 or 3 weeks now. Believe it or not I haven't gone over my 200 marker which is great news. But at the same time my scale keeps doing the yo yo act...one day a loss the next I gain the loss back. But I am still trying to do my best at watching what I eat and all that jazz. How is it going for you? I know it can be tough starting out but if you give it a good effort it will all work itself out. Lots of luck to you!

Thanks for asking. Yea, if Jacksonmom needs some help I think she has plenty of support from all of us. I just don't want to see this thread dissapate especially since it has been such a meaningful tool in my weight loss. Three cheers for Jacksonmom!!! Hip Hip HOORAY! Hip Hip HOORAY! Hip Hip HOORAY!! Big thumbs up go out to you girlie!

I'm outta here; it's way past my bed time!
Kina

madtypist
10-14-2002, 09:30 AM
:) Hey, how is everyone doing:

Hope everyone was able to get in some exercising this past week. I did 10 miles, not a lot but its better then nothing.

I have to set myself some kind of routine with walking and doing the walking tapes. I think my bike riding is history now that the weather is getting colder. :mad: not looking forward to that.

So my total for the month is 89. I will set my next goal at 50 and see how much walking I will be able to do.

Have a great week ladies :)

Suzanne

happy2bme
10-14-2002, 07:07 PM
I've finished out the challenge with a measly 5 for the week. Long long hours at work but I think I probably logged an extra 4 or 5 just going from my office to the printer over and over and over again, not to mention "pit stops" of course all the way at the other end of the building. I think that brings me to a grand total of 20 for this one.

I have decided that the next challenge, I'm doing minutes of exercise. Was going to do hours but minutes sounds like so much more!!

See yah in the next round!

Kina
10-14-2002, 07:34 PM
I think I counted up 13.5 for the week. Mission not accomplished but much effort was put into it. Talk again.

Kina

jacksonmom
10-16-2002, 10:48 AM
Grand totals:

Jacksonmom...goal 60...60 MADE GOAL!

Kina...goal 100...76.5

4myself...goal 30...19

madtypist...goal 100...89

daretobeu...goal 40...39

stef...goal 200...144

happy2bme...goal 30...20

lodyangel...goal 35...18.8

fatchickfour...goal 200...44

I will start the new thread so please check it out!