Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Default Need advice

So I've been thinking that I am going to give the calorie counting a shot. I'm someone who doesn't do change, but I think I need it! My normal method of just cutting out junk and eating better worked, but isn't working any longer. So I've decided to go about this rationally and start calorie counting. I took the first step and canceled my university meals for next week and am looking to start Sunday counting calories. I wanted to give an example plan and see what opinion anyone might have.

I plan to eat between 1700-1800 calories per day. I've checked online and it was recommended between 1800-2000.

I exercise daily. I usually run for one hour every night between 9-10 pm and alternate strength training every other day.

Meal plan
B- oatmeal w/ honey, cinnamon and apple. between 8-9 am
L- grilled cheese sandwich, veggies 11-12 am
S-yogurt, fruit, greek salad, hardboiled egg 1-6
D- Chicken breast, tortilla (mini) and veggies 6-7

I steam all my frozen vegetables. I work from 1:30-7:30 and find that this is when I am the most apt to eat. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day, but my other meals I wasn't sure what to eat. I lack in carbs that are recommended.

Any and all opinions will be welcome and much needed. Thanks for any help!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

Looks to me like you will be lacking protein. I would oust that grilled cheese sandwich (very high calorie and not much nutritional value) and replace it with a healthier option that includes protein.

The rest looks really good to me. AND awesome job on the wieght-loss so far!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I like your plan but agree that the protein's something to watch, too. I'd add that calcium is something to keep in your plan so maybe a skim milk with your oatmeal?

I have been on a weight loss strategy for years starting off with giving up meat. I totally overate meat just because I loved the sauces. So, I stopped eating meat about four years ago. I dropped 10-15 pounds with that. Not owning a car but have very active boys, I then started commuting everywhere with my little kids and lost another 10 pounds. But at that point, nothing moved the scale.

I'm in my early 40's and nursed both kids. That means calcium is really important for me but I'd suggest it to become a regular practice to eat 3-4 portions of high calcium (25-35% DV).

I'm so into this that I drink Unsweetened Almond Milk (40 calories/serving by Almond Breeze). I get my calcium that way (but I think it's lacking in protein).

Oh, you could eat Greek yogurt (watch versions so you get one with high calcium) because that generally is packed with loads of protein with little cost in calories. I think one cup of Greek yogurt is 120 calories while my regular low fat Stonefield is 100 calories per cup.

Good luck. You've already had great success.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote