Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Default "Swingy" arms.

That might sound weird but I have also heard of what I'm referring to called "bat wings" or something like that. But it's pretty much that hanging kind of skin either before or after weight loss, if you get my drift?
Well because I'm a shorter person I've got it pretty bad. My arms are pretty unsightly due to that and the fact I'm starting to get little wrinkly patches of skin in that area (which I guess is good because that means there's some stuff happening, right? But it's not very appealing to me at the moment). I have like no short sleeved shirts. I got like one and I hate wearing it because even though it's not t-shirt styled, the sleeve is tight enough to see my "swingy" arms. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks to hide such arms, or some cool clothes or something? I mean I'll work on my confidence and all that to wear a t-shirt but until then.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's all about not buying clothes where the fabric ends with a snug fit and in the middle of a wide or jiggly part...that's where the eye is drawn, and you don't want a big "look at me" sign on a part you're not fond of.

I tend to gravitate one of three ways...either sleeves that go below the elbow (3/4 sleeve, 1/2 sleeve, anything that doesn't cut off mid upper-arm), fluttery sleeves (these allow a shorter sleeve with more arm exposed/cooler feel for summer, but don't cut off your arm in a straight line, and hide some of the size with their flutteriness...like this one: http://www.bluefly.com/Collective-Co...:referralID=NA), or, surprisingly, shirts that are cut to expose the entire front of my shoulder (t-back, racer-back, halter, etc styled tank tops). Because the fabric cuts off around my collarbones and neck (nice features that I like showing off), it doesn't highlight the larger arms I don't like as much.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #3  

That's a pretty shirt! Thanks for replying, I'm going shopping tonight so I can buy something that hides the arms, I'll keep everything you said in mind.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think if you start to use some weights/resistance bands and start to tone that also helps. I have and I have noticed a big difference, it takes time though. I walk with weights when I walk on my lunch breaks, and then I use resistance bands as well

Last edited by beerab; 05-13-2010 at 06:30 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #5  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

^^^What beerab mentioned. I've been doing the resistance bands and my arms that wave "bye bye" are slowly but surely shrinking. It should help you out, hope you try it!
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've got biceps, triceps and batwings, all together. They've gotten smaller after about two years working with dumbbells, but not much. Because mine is loose skin. If I hold my arms straight in front of me, sort of like a zombie walking, there's a definite hangdown. Same if I hold them out at my sides, like I'm flying. I don't think I can do anything about this simply through what's called "toning." I just have to accept it, as I'm not spending $$ for surgery.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #7  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

My mother loves to throw her arms out and give us the "four arm wave" because that's what it looked like to us kids, as if she had four arms jiggling. I can't believe I can do that myself.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Absolutely strength training will help long-term. But I'm like Saef - I have muscle AND jiggle. Thus the fashion suggestions.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #9  

Yes, I'll start strength training over the summer with a friend but I'm pretty much prepared for loose skin, I don't think I'll be able to avoid it, and the continuing bat wing so thanks for the clothes suggestions.
Edit:
Oh almost forgot! I did find a really pretty lilac-colored 3/4 sleeve shirt that does a pretty good job of covering the arms (not sure how I forgot, as I'm wearing it right now...) so anyways thank you again, everyone.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 05-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Gotta tell this story about batwings, because it's so funny.

A few weeks ago, I realized that I was developing the batwings. I was lying in bed and batting at the batwings. I was horrified, and yet fascinated. My arms had always been firm fat. Now my arms are squishy fat, and I can actually feel the muscle and bone underneath (there's still a lot of fat on top, but if I push down firmly, I can feel the muscle and bone, when before I could only feel firm fat).

I have to admit, I was transfixed by this transformation (thinking in my mind, that if I could get a Spanx-style under-shirt, maybe I'd look a lot smaller).

Hubby walked in as I was making and watching the bat-wing swing, and he burst out laughing. I turned bright red with embarassment, and then I started laughing too. Just when both of us would begin to stop laughing, the other would start it up again, and we laughed so hard we got face and rib cramps.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Gotta tell this story about batwings, because it's so funny.

A few weeks ago, I realized that I was developing the batwings. I was lying in bed and batting at the batwings. I was horrified, and yet fascinated. My arms had always been firm fat. Now my arms are squishy fat, and I can actually feel the muscle and bone underneath (there's still a lot of fat on top, but if I push down firmly, I can feel the muscle and bone, when before I could only feel firm fat).

I have to admit, I was transfixed by this transformation (thinking in my mind, that if I could get a Spanx-style under-shirt, maybe I'd look a lot smaller).

Hubby walked in as I was making and watching the bat-wing swing, and he burst out laughing. I turned bright red with embarassment, and then I started laughing too. Just when both of us would begin to stop laughing, the other would start it up again, and we laughed so hard we got face and rib cramps.

I have tears running down my face!!

Yes, I have the loose, jiggly squishy flab where I used to have solid fat. I hate the way it smooshes out from under my sleeves, especially if my arms are down at my sides. I don't personally play with it, but my daughter seems to be fixated on it and will poke, prod, and swing it every chance she gets. I'm glad it can be a source of amusement for her!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #12  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Bunny,

Get the last (June 2010) issue of Oxygen. There is a very nice articles on how to strengthen the triceps. You don't need to go to the gym. You can get a pair of DBs and do most of those exercises at home.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote