Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default TMI alert: bowel problems

I have mostly been able to stick to atkins and am successfully if slowly losing weight. HOWEVER, I am really constipated.
I am also on 500 mg (1 tablet) of metformin per day to help control my sugars, and have no problems with blood sugar on that, though I haven't been challenging myself with high carb meals, but have occasionally allowed myself more than my 30g allotment I use for weight loss. But still no grains in my diet.
What I have tried so far:
adding benefibre (inulin) to my smoothies and soups
taking a fibre tablet twice daily with a large glass of water (oat bran and inulin)
I eat lots of fibrous veggies
walking
lots of water
docusate sodium (colace) a stool softener, since when I do have a bm it is also quite solid
finally took a mild laxative and feel much better.
Any other suggestions? I overall feel better without the grains, I suspect I may have a mild intolerance, as I am less bloated, in spite of being constipated. But I am considering adding some fibre one to my diet.
I am sure this has been addressed before, but I feel like I have tried everything but adding grains back to my diet.
TIA
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hi Madelaine,

I had problems with BM and being constipated as well. So I did some research and I have been taking a product called "Natural Calm" with contains magnesium (helps with BM's). It's made by Peter Gillham. It's a powder and I add water to it and it keeps me regular and calmer too! Perhaps because of my perimenopause...

I bought it from Vitacost.com but you can read about it here:

http://www.calmnatural.com/

Hope this helps,
Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Is it safe to say your diabetic? Over here metfotmin is perscription only. Is your doc aware your on atkins? If so why aren't you talking to your doc about this?

Also I note that you seem to be trying to solve your fibre problems with pills. Perhaps u should give natural foods a go maybe alter the diet to include more leafy green veg. Cabbage, spinach work great for me as does brocili. Another thing is drinking unsweetened soya milk.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #4  

Have you tried ground flax seed? That helps a lot of people. I use suppositories when I need things to move along easier. Hope you find some relief, I know how painful it can be.
LisaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #5  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
Is it safe to say your diabetic? Over here metfotmin is perscription only. Is your doc aware your on atkins? If so why aren't you talking to your doc about this?

Also I note that you seem to be trying to solve your fibre problems with pills. Perhaps u should give natural foods a go maybe alter the diet to include more leafy green veg. Cabbage, spinach work great for me as does brocili. Another thing is drinking unsweetened soya milk.
My doc is aware I do atkins, the metformin was just added a month ago, since I could only keep my sugars under control at induction levels and I didn't think it was realistic otherwise. She suggested fibre supplements thru pills or metamucil. We also thought the metformin might help the constipation, as more frequesnt BMs are one of the frequent side effects.
I do eat a lot of leafy stuff, and that doesn't help enough.
The fibre is the most helpful, but I am still just going every 3-4 days (as opposed to once a week) and still a little too hard and bloated to be comfortable.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #6  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSue View Post
Have you tried ground flax seed? That helps a lot of people. I use suppositories when I need things to move along easier. Hope you find some relief, I know how painful it can be.
I like this idea, fibre with protein and fat. Maybe that will help, and won't hurt.
thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5

Ispaghula husk is the the solution for me.... i make sure i have it every night before going to bed because i was facing the same problem as well. it can be very annoying.. hope it works out for you soon.
Sameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Just to let you know that I had some constipation for the first several months on low carb (maybe 5 or 6 months) and then somehow my body got used to things & I havent had any trouble since.

I know that doesnt help NOW (when you need relief) but just to let you know if you can find solutions now maybe your body will adjust longer term.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #9  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I second the flax seed, ground up you can add it to a variety of foods. My mother cares for a patient with MS and gives her flax seed daily with her meals this has greatly reduced her incidence of constipation.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #10  
Madeleine

Thanks for the recommendations. The flax may have helped a bit.
I feel SOOO much better when I am finally able to go, and I am used to a daily bm. I feel I am finally getting the hang of this woe, and planning my food etc. I hope this will even out over time too.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #11  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

Ok, this might seem a bit gross but better out than in (excuse the bad bad pun)!

I'm having the opposite problem to fatmad at the moment. I did have a few vodkas (with 7up free) at the weekend and it started then. Naturally i put it down to the vodka and thanked heavens that i'm not drinking very often. But now it is tuesday and im still not back to normal. I'm on my second week of induction (slightly modified as i have allowed myself mushroom and tomato) and hadnt been having any noticable changes in that regard until now. I have read that the atkins bars can have a laxitive affect. I ate one of those today as I didn't have time for lunch. Also, I have read about "rabbit starvation". Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm getting that bad. I did read however that diets that are too low carb, low fat, low calorie can make people ill and start having this sort of effect on their bowels.

Basically what I have been eating is meat, eggs, cheese, lettuce and at most one tomato and a small portion of mushrooms each day. The atkins bar today was a rarity. I was just wondering has anyone else had a problem like this? In any of your experience is it just a lesson that i need not to drink and/or resort to atkins bars? I realise I'm not eating enough veg (and am aiming to ammend that starting at dinner time today) - could this be the problem?

I think from now i'll just stick solely to the foods listed on induction - i don't think my messing with it is doing my tummy any favours - although i will miss a nice grilled mushroom/tomato with melted cheese
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #12  
Carbs are evil

just an afterthought .... should we limit the amount of eggs eaten or is two a day ok?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #13  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

imstuffed:

First off, Atkins fake sugar products can have a strong laxative effect on some people. Could definitely be your issue. Vodka & diet sodas don't cause diarrhea, at least that I know of! Did you eat anything else not on the Atkins list with the drinks?

Rabbit starvation comes about from high protein and low fat. Are you eating a low fat diet? You're eating cheese so I would say no. Eggs are also not low fat.

You don't need to limit eggs. Read the Induction list and eat until you feel satisfied with the "free" foods listed.

Your eating less vegetables (as you are now) would make you constipated, the opposite of your current problem, heh! You should eat more vegetables, yes... I don't think lettuce and a tiny serving of mushrooms/tomatoes are making your stomach upset.

I recommend packing your lunches for the week in advance - salads, cheese, bits of deli meat. That way you won't have to resort to Atkins-Frankenfoods
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #14  
Carbs are evil

Thanks for your reply BerkshireGrl, I haven't eaten anything else that i'm not supposed to. Maybe somethings just not agreeing with me - hopefully it's those stupid bars that i WILL NOT be having any more of

I will take your advice and go with packed lunches (made the night before so being in a hurry won't be an excuse!)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #15  
Madeleine

And as Kim has reminded us many times, the bars are not induction foods. Mine usually have 20g carbs or more. I don't use them at all anymore. I have been doing great this week with planning for my meals and snacks, (a little nsv there, thats been a goal of mine) so haven't resorted to an atkins shake even. (I did use shakes when I was a conference recently, I had one in the am before breakfast, since I wasn't in control of the food, and it really helped me stick to plan. )
I agree stuffed needs lots more veggies, how bout green beans, asparagus, a salad with cucumbers ?