Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/272/221

Height: 5'3

Default Thinking about starting Atkins...

Hi everyone... I am thinking about starting Atkins. First I will give you some background about me.

I am 30 and have been calorie counter for 3 months now, I've lost 23lbs in 2 months (basically since I joined the gym). I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrom) and have been tryin to conceive for 2 years. I have been eating 1100-1300 calories a day and anywhere from 80-160g of Carbs a day. Due to the PCOS I can't help but feel that I need to do something else to get better results. Since PCOS is based around Insulin Resistance, and Atkins controls carbs which causes this, I thought Atkins or the GI diet would work better for me than obesessing about calories.

I am very dedicated to losing weight. I want to have children, and basically I need this for myself!! I work out 6 days a week. Mon & Fri 1/2 hour with my trainer weight training, 1/2 hour on my own weight training, and 1 hour of cardio. Tues, Thurs, Sat 1 hour of cardio, Wed 1/2 of conditioning and 1 hour of cardio.

My goal is to be 220lbs by my anniversary! Right now I am at 271.2lbs.. so I still have a long way to go. I have a knee problem from a motorcycle accident last year. So my trainer thinks I need to do whatever it takes to get some weight off.. and then worry about maintaining and adding in carbs down the road.

So Here I am! ... I guess I am looking for tips and ideas on how to go about this the right way. The biggest thing I am worried about is that I've heard Atkins is not realistic and that one you add carbs the weight comes back. I am looking to start during the next week or so... Appreciate any thoughts comments and more!
sedivygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #2  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

Hi sedivygal,

I've just started atkins 5 days ago and i too have PCOS. The one thing I have found so far is i need to stop weighing myself every day. I've become obsessed with checking to see how i'm doing, and seeing a measely 0-1 lb gone a day is a bit demotivating! I know in the best case this translates to 7lbs a week which is fantastic but sometimes its hard to see the bigger picture!

I have to say I have tried so many other diets and some of those "18lbs in 4 days" type things. For that one i lost 5lbs in 4 days but it was heartbreaking for me because my friend who is more than 2 stone lighter than me managed to lose nearly the full 18 ... an we ate the *exact* same stuff and neither of us exercised.

Exercise for me is the biggest problem at this point. I have such a busy life being a single mum and doing research for a phd.. i barely get to the housework often enough never mind finding time to hit the gym - which isnt actually possible since i only get to work while my son is in school and don't have anyone who can mind him regularly for me to go another time.

Ok I think I have started ranting now... in short... i'm new too, hopefully we can both see some great results in the coming weeks
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!
The most important thing if you're considering doing Atkins, is to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 or prior versions) BEFORE beginning the plan. This is of the utmost importance for a complete understanding of how & why this plan works and to insure you do it correctly.As for gaining the weight back once you start adding carbs back, the key is to slowly add foods back to your diet via the carb ladder in the book. You will be able to monitor how certain foods affect your weightloss or maintainance (whichever the case may be) and find your personal carb threshold.
I've been doing Atkins for 6 years now and can tell you, when its done correctly, it is realistic
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-11-2010 at 06:26 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/272/221

Height: 5'3

Stuffed - I am a daily weigher myself, but only count my weight on Sunday's and it drives me crazy, but makes me accountable for the day too. Last week I was frustrated, Friday I was down to 268.6 and then by Sunday 271.2!!! I was so mad cuz I wanted to be in the 60's so bad!!

Jersey: I did buy the book today! I have been looking for it for a couple of days and no one seemed to have it. In all places I found it at Dominicks!!! So I plan on getting started to read it today!
sedivygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #5  
Carbs are evil

Sedivygal, i know what you mean it can be so frustrating, that's why im going to try just weighing once a week. It's also important to weigh yourself at the same time of the day. Personally, my weight changes by 1-3lbs through the course of the day. I just weigh myself in the mornings - this is when i'm lightest so it feels better too

Jersey, thanks for the welcome and well done you for sticking to the plan for so long! I have read the book a while ago but I must dig it out again.

I just got my delivery of atkins bars... so far so good! I found that a small bit of a bar was enough for me and i gave the rest to me son, he thought it was great
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #6  
Carbs are evil

Also guys, I can't figure out how to change my signature to add my weight loss tracker.. any ideas?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #7  
Who Burst MyBubble? Oh Me

S/C/G: 318/305/?

Height: 5 Foot 2, Eyes of Blue

Wink

Switching From Calorie Counters to Carb Counters

Hello My Friends!

I have been a devoted calorie counter for all of the past 9 weeks! I use the Calorie Counter on everydayhealth.com and have been accomplishing the following each day:
  • 1200 Calories
  • 20 Grams of Fat
  • 65 Grams of Protein
  • 180 Grams of Carb
I lost about 20 pounds after 6 weeks, gained 3 pounds and have been sitting at the same weight for the past 3 weeks.

It's hard when you feel like you have made such an accomplishment to not see results!

BUT...Best of all... I am back in control of my food!!! Yeah, that's the hard part, and the part that helps the most with my self-esteem.

As you can tell I think I am experiencing a classic lack of results due to a low fat/ high carb diet.

So, I have switched from the Calorie Counters Forum and am making the daring move over to the Carb Counters Forum.

I tried Atkins about 15 years ago with no success. At the time I felt that Atkins in its purest form was suited more for men than for women. The "eat all the meat and fat you want and don't worry about the fat and calories" concept wasn't right for my metabolism.

Now that I am in control of my food I will be able to drastically lower my carbs, but keep the calories and fat under control. I am HOPING that will be the key for me.

I realize that I am only on my second day of Atkins Induction, but I am extremely optimistic and wanted to shout it from the treetops (decided to shout it here instead for anyone willing to listen).

So far I am accomplishing:
  • 1200 Calories
  • 50 Grams of Fat
  • 140 Grams of Protein
  • 30 Grams of Carb (hoping to gradually get down to 20 Grams)
I need all the help, wisdom, and encouragement I can get!

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post.

Hugs to you all,
L.
Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #8  
Who Burst MyBubble? Oh Me

S/C/G: 318/305/?

Height: 5 Foot 2, Eyes of Blue

Talking

ImStuffed - Did your question get answered about how to add a Ticker to your signature?

I came across this in another thread:

Weight Trackers: If you would like to add a ticker to your signature, here's how to do it. Go to User CP in the purple tool bar above. On the left side choose Edit Signature. At the top of that page is where you follow the directions to make a ticker. It will walk you through the process. When you're finished making it, the code will appear. There are actually several codes visible, choose the one that says for use on 3FCs. Highlight it and then hit CTRL and the C key. Then go back to the original Edit Signature page. You can do this by hitting the BACK button several times. Then on that page, scroll down and you'll see a text box. Click your cursor into that box and then hit CTRL and the V key. The code that you copied should now be there. You can add a name or message in that box too if you want and that will become your "signature". When you're finished you'll need to scroll down just a bit further and hit Save Signature. Then you should be good to go.

Hope it works for you!
L.
Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #9  
Carbs are evil

Thanks a mill Godiva, It seems i haven't been a member long enough yet to be allowed one, but as soon as i am i know what to do

Also, well done on beginning your weight loss journey! I can understand how very very hard it is to take control over what you eat so you're doing great While I am far from an expert, I would say based on others advice to me on this forum, that you are not getting enough calories at all... I'll let someone with more knowledge and experience chime in here as im only a newbie myself ...