Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default Am I Mad?

I've had a fear of needles all my life, not really bad, but when I go to have blood tests I always have to look away as they insert the needle and seeing my own blood going into the tubes makes me a little queasy.
Well, I don't know why, but also for a long time I've wanted to donate blood. I've never done it before because my weight has always been my excuse not to do so many things. But lately I've been thinking more and more about donating. There is actually an opportunity for me to donate a week on Thursday, and I'm now seriously considering it.
This journey, losing the weight and getting fit have totally changed me, inside and out, and I now constantly want to challenge myself and do things I never thought I would, donating blood being one of them.
But taking into account my fear of needles etc, do you think this is something I'd be mad doing? I don't know how I will react when I actually get there, if I'll be calmer than I expect or freak out and not be able to go through with it, but it's something else I really want to tick off my list of things I would never have had the courage to do before.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would say, wait until you have reached maintenance and have been there awhile. The reason is that you may need all the blood you've got right now! Weight loss takes a lot out of people, and you may even be slightly anemic at this point. (They will test you at the blood bank etc.)

What's the hurry? You'll still have plenty of opportunities later.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

You could go and watch other people get drawn and see if you feel ok. You could ask for a test to see if you're anemic and then decide. I applaud you for doing this. Someone who donated blood saved my baby's life, because they would not allow my husband nor I to donate to her (wrong blood proteins in our blood). I am eternally grateful to whoever gave that blood for her.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I donated blood a couple weeks ago. It was something I've always wanted to do but just never got myself together to do. I'm really happy that I did it.

I did feel a little tired and weak the rest of that day (a Saturday--I had already done my regular strength training and a bunch of housework that morning before donating), but had no problems resuming my normal workout schedule on the Monday following. I didn't change my eating, either. (Instead of having the post-donation food the blood bank was offering, I just had my apple and some almonds.) They did test my blood for anemia and I was not anemic. I would have been extremely surprised if I was, because I eat a super-excellent diet.

I think if you want to challenge yourself to get past the fear of needles and do it, then you should go for it. Some people get so queasy with needles that they are in danger of actually fainting (my husband is like that), and for them I wouldn't recommend trying to donate. But you don't sound that extreme, so I say step up to the challenge!

As Lyn points out, you can literally save lives by donating blood.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

I also applaud you for wanting to do this. Maybe go with the idea that you're just going to check it out. Then, if you're up to it, go ahead and donate. No, you're not mad. I'll tell you what mad is. I have the same fear you do of needles. However, I have a couple of tattoos and piercings in private areas. That's mad!
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #6  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

IDK much about it but like you have a fear of needles. I applaud you for wanting to overcome this and help others!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #7  

I don'T think your mad at all. You should however check all their guidelines for donation. Nothing worse to stand in line for an hour and then discover you can't give blood because you are taking a particular medication (even some over the counter medications are contra-indicated if you are donating blood.)
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/208.6/165 (HW285)

Height: 6'

I think it is great. You can always leave if you get to upset. When I gave blood, they did a finger prick to get a blood sample to check for anemia, before they set up for the "big draw." I would let the person doing the draw know that you are a little nervous, let them know if you want to know what they are doing or don't want to know.
Make sure you eat breakfast!
Good Luck.
mkyice is offline   Reply With Quote