Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #1  
banned

Talking Got my HulA hOOP!

I've had it for three days. and have played with it twice. The first time I played with it was so hard. See, I got confused on the size and got one that is GIGANTIC! Well, it just felt seriously awkward and kind of hurt. I wasn't able to do anything. Second day my entire back is agony! So, today I played with it for an hour or so inside and think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Because I have a low ceiling, I took it outside for a bit and was trying to do halos (which I can actually do decently!) and then I put it on my waist and actually did it! Sadly, I'm still not good enough to waist hoop without it falling the majority of the time, but hey, pretty good so far and it's incredibly addicting! This just might work for me. Sadly, my tape is scuffed up pretty bad already.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #2  

Nice! Is it a weighted one? If so how heavy is yours? I've been thinking about getting a weighted hula hoop myself. My friend has one and I got to play with it a few times. The first time I got crazyyyy bruises around my waist... which took forever to fade. She said it keeps her off the couch when she's watching TV and stuff. However I wonder if it really helps with weight loss? My friend swears that it's making her waist smaller.. but honestly I couldn't tell hahaha. But yea.. I've been looking at them on amazon since its nowhere to be found in sporting stores near my house. The 4lb one cost around $30, not including shipping, that's kinda on the pricey side for me, also whats holding me back from purchasing one.
kiwicakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #3  
banned

I just got a regular adult hula hoop made out of 3/4 poly, I think. It's pretty heavy, but once you mess with it a lot it becomes lighter, if that makes sense.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #4  

Can I ask where you got it? And do you wish at this point that you had gotten a smaller one? I ripped out a bunch of articles from Shape magazines my DH wanted to recycle and one was of hula hooping...I know they had some sites on there but if you could recommend one I'd appreciate it!
nurse2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/220/175

Height: 5'10"

Oh I Love Hula Hooping! (Loved it as a kid) I'm just getting back into the habit of hooping myself.

At most the longest it'd last on my hips/or waist is about a few minutes just recent of today. Yesterday it wouldn't even stay up a few seconds!

A small success but a success none-the-less.

I find wiggling my hips, side-to-side is easier than the rocking back and forth motion.

I eagerly await the day, I can hoop for an hour straight! (The good ole days)

A small tip; Leave it out in the open, preferably in the lounge thus randomly you'll pick it up and start hooping while the Tv is on.

Love,
Anonymia
Anonymia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #6  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2be View Post
Can I ask where you got it? And do you wish at this point that you had gotten a smaller one? I ripped out a bunch of articles from Shape magazines my DH wanted to recycle and one was of hula hooping...I know they had some sites on there but if you could recommend one I'd appreciate it!
I actually bought it from a seller on ebay. It was around $35 I think and you could choose what size and color you wanted. I would suggest taking a tape-measure and seeing how many inches you are from the floor to your belly button or chest (something I did not do), and yes I do wish I would have gotten a smaller one because it is a bit hard for me to keep it up. But it's still fun, and you definitely feel a burn afterwards.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 AM   #7  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymia View Post
A small tip; Leave it out in the open, preferably in the lounge thus randomly you'll pick it up and start hooping while the Tv is on.

Love,
Anonymia
I've noticed this too. I will sometimes glance at it and have the urge to pick it up and play with it. lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #8  

Thx so much for all the info + inspiration
nurse2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #9  
banned

And what's great is that it doesn't feel like exercise. You just put on some good music and play!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I love my hoop! my kids all have one so it can be a fun family activity too
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/125/120

Height: 5'1

I would like to start hooping. I noticed there are hoops with waves (or bumps) and then just regular ones that are weighted. What is a good brand to get?
dailyoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #12  
banned

I have only tried regular adult hula hoops that sellers off ebay hand-make. Try doing a search on ebay, and you should find one. Make sure they're using 3/4 160 poly piping if you're a beginner. It will make it heavier, and make it easier to stay up.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #13  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I love hooping! I make hoops for myself and friends. For a beginner I suggest a hoop that is 160 PSI and about 44". It sounds really big and most beginners think I'm crazy when I hand it to them, but after they start trying the other hoops they all agree that it's the easiest to learn with. I often go back to this hoop when I'm learning new tricks or just want a nice slow hoop. You can also find hula hoops on Etsy.

I hoop almost everyday! Sometimes an hour or two at a time. Having people to hoop with gets me going on those days I feel like being lazy. Many cities have groups of hoopers that meet up and encourage each other. Everyone that I've seen is more than willing to help you if you're struggling or even if you've never touched a hoop before. Right now I'm really stoked about just learning to get it to roll around my shoulder while ducking my head out!
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #14  
banned

I wish I were that good. It still hits the floor with me. lol. I'm trying, though. I could never do it as a kid, either.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #15  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

You'll get there! I made my first hoop over a year ago. It mostly sat in the corner. Back in May I finally learned how to hoop on my chest and started getting a lot better at the waist. Memorial Day weekend I went to a big artist/camping event similar to Burning Man. I really wanted to try fire hooping so I made a fire hoop. It was WAY too heavy (I had a bruise the size of my entire hand!) and I still wasn't very good. I stuck to my few basic tricks but still had a ton of fun. That weekend I saw a guy that was amazing! I just watched him in awe. That was all the inspiration I needed. I decided that next year I was going to be that good, or as close as I could get! He taught me how to make a much better fire hoop. Learning the shoulder trick was a big step for me. It's almost to my favorite one that I saw him do.

I still drop my hoop plenty! All of us do it. I'm much better at saving it and making it look like I did on purpose.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote