WW At Home - When work/coworkers are against you

ThatGyrl
05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Sounds almost conspiracy-theory-esque, doesn't it? :D

I have recently realized (aka ADMITTED) that my lack of inactivity/eating habits at work has contributed to my weight gain.

I started my current job in July 2008 - My first day I wore size 5 dress pants and weighed around 127. Fast forward to today - I am wearing a tight :o size 12 and have weighed in at 163.5.

I have gained 36 pounds in the last 2 years at this place. And my coworkers? They are my partners in crime! :D I carpool with one girl, we are really good friends. I mean a normal week for us were were rotating breakfast at 7-11, McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, and Burger King. Eating out lunch almost everyday.

Now that I am getting yogurts instead of biscuits - and doing the Lean Cuisine thing instead of going out......it's not that anyone is against it - but they think it's funny to wave pieces of pizza in my face. Or over-exaggerate the "mmmmmm's" and "ooohhhhhhhh's" as they bite into their cheesy, gooey lunches.

I know it is all in jest - but it makes it hard. Really hard.

Suggestions for dealing with situations like this?

bargoo
05-07-2010, 09:48 PM
As hard as it is you must ignore it. When they see they can't get a reaction from you they will give up and stop.

ThatGyrl
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I imagine that with time - they will stop. But a part of me is thinking "Geez. You guys should be supporting me!" **Throw in a bit of a temper tantrum**

When my boss (A guy about the same age as me) saw me heating up a LC yesterday he said "Oh, are you on a diet?" and I said " I have to start paying attention to what I eat! Ive gained so much weight since I started working here"

He honestly said "Look at everyone here, you don't have to eat that. Everyone here is fa.......bigger".

I thought that was so sad that he said that.

Jelma
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
I work in an office as well and most of my co-workers are bigger. I am constantly being told how healthy my lunch is or how I am being good for not eating a doughnut/cookie/whatever that is always being brought in by companies we do business with. Luckily, besides a few annoying comments most of them are supportive and always ask me how far I made it that day on my lunch walk.

It is hard to deal with that type of negativity from people you deal with daily and I am with bargoo, ignore them. Their pettiness will turn to awe when they see you making progress, maybe you wil inspire them.

astrophe
05-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Ignore til they give it up for lack of reaction.

Or make up socially acceptable reasons (whatever work in your particular situation) if you think that will shut them up faster.

Maybe something like "I'm trying to improve my cholesterol" or "I'm trying to eat out less to save up some money" -- whatever.

A.

sarahyu
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
People want others to share in their bad habits so they don't feel bad about themselves. If you are different, you force others to look at themselves in a different light.

I'd go with a medical excuse to lose weight. It really makes people less likely to mess with you about what you eat.

Good luck
Sarah

Priscatip
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
I know exactly how you feel, it was hard in my office too. If anyone is late, the 'office rule' is to bring doughnuts, and so they are here at least every other morning. If the office is busy, my boss orders lunch in. The break room is stocked with unhealthy snacks. All of which is nice - that we're taken care of - but not nice because whenever i say no, they all snicker about it. Or say 'don't show priscatip the doughnuts, she thinks she's fat', etc. I just ignore them now. But I definitely get that it can be frustrating.

lovinww
05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I on the other hand would NOT ignore them I would put them right in their place! I think they are being rude and not being supportive and that is not nice and I sure would let them know. hope it gets better for you

MissKoo
05-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I wonder if it is an age thing? I'm in my "late" forties and my female work buddies would have made comments if I was eating pizza or cake (although that wasn't their business - they meant well . . .) I had a close friend at work who felt bad that she couldn't afford to go out to lunch as often as the others - we bonded over walking to the mini-mart everyday & getting a diet soda refill!

I would ignore it, tho'. The results of your healthy eating will begin to show and who can argue with success!!

ShanAlise777
05-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Most people who are against others losing weight usually need to lose weight themselves and are jealous because they aren't doing anything. When people I work with try to push food on me sometimes I take it and tell them I will have it later and just throw it away later or give it to someone in my family. I always make sure I compliment them later on how good it was. Most of the time people just want a compliment.

kaylamparker
08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I started at my office job at the end of 07 weighing around 150, wearing sizes 8-10. I am now 189 and wearing a 14, sometimes 16.

I would ignore it. If they weren't your coworkers, I would say put them in their place, but since you don't want to start unnecessary drama at work, I would ignore it. Once they see how good you look, they will quit taunting you and start complimenting you :)

bmma
08-13-2010, 08:09 AM
I know exactly how you feel...since I've been on WW I sometimes dread lunchtime because people ALWAYS comment on my food and how healthy it is, etc. As if its a bad thing!!

My office deals with food companies, so people are ALWAYS bringing in samples to pass around. When I decline, no matter how nicely, or with a sense of humor, or anything, people get totally offended, and it drives me crazy!

I think an earlier poster was right - when people see that someone is eating healthier and taking care of themselves, they are deflecting because they feel like they should be doing the same, or they automatically feel judged for not eating healthy.

I try to ignore them too, but its not easy...a little support would be nice!

SeaWave
08-15-2010, 05:28 PM
It's always difficult to be the 'odd man out', but you can't control what your co-workers do or say. All you can control is how you react. Keep in mind your goals, and how much better you feel when you eat healthily, and the slippery slope they are leading you to. Depending on the people involved, perhaps a frank discussion with them about what you're doing and how negative their comments are? I've had some success with that approach. If that's not feasible, just ignore them.

sarahyu
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I always bring my lunch. It's generally healthy and on plan and when my co-workers all get together for lunch to decide where they are going-nobody asks me to go with them.

It got to me after a while and I asked one that generally goes with them "hey, why don't you guys ask me?" She laughed and said "because we go to the bad food places and don't want to tempt you off your diet, besides you always bring your lunch." Well, both comments are true so they aren't ignoring me to be mean.

So it can go both ways.

ktexas
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm dealing with the same issue at my work-with the food. We have insane amounts of unhealthy things constantly everywhere. I just bring my own snacks and ignore the non-supporters.

SeaWave
08-25-2010, 09:54 PM
With regard to the 'going out for lunch' situation: :idea: I just remembered a co-worker who always responded "No thanks. I'm saving for a trip." She had the same answer for 10 years. Last year, we spent a pot luck lunch looking at all the pictures she took when she finally climbed Mount Kilimanjaro! You could do something similar - saving for a trip, a down-payment, a car, whatever. They don't have to know it's about the food. :smug:

AuntBea
08-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I can really empathize! I started a new job 2 years ago at 155 (and I'd just lost 10 pounds). I'm now at 170. I'm 5'1 and 57. Among other things, I just hate that I've outgrown clothes & had to buy more. At my job, we have all sizes, but the majority are not terribly overweight. We have our share of goodies, especially at Christmas, but compared to other places where I've worked, most people don't really overeat. The message I often get is, "YOU shouldn't be eating that."

There's a lot of good advice here. I guess it's different for everyone. What I might do is say, sarcastically, "Thanks for your support." But on the other hand, I know how miserable I have felt when I just couldn't get myself geared up to lose, so I guess I have empathy for those who have tried to sabotage me in the past. I've had my share of that, too.

I would just say hang in there, try not to let them bother you, and maybe try to keep in mind they don't really want you to not succeed. They just wish they could be on a weight-loss journey too.

P.S. I'm new here & still can't figure out how to get my "tracker" to post automatically. Though I've only been here since Sun. and haven't lost anything yet that I know of. I'm only gong to weigh myself once a week, I think. Too scared of getting discouraged.

Natasha1534
08-26-2010, 12:44 AM
I on the other hand would NOT ignore them I would put them right in their place! I think they are being rude and not being supportive and that is not nice and I sure would let them know. hope it gets better for you

I have to agree w/ this. I wouldn't be MEAN or RUDE about it, but I'd just make it known that I really don't appreciate it and that I'll remember it when it comes time for THEM to diet. I also think it's absolutely DISGUSTING when people are eating and "mmmmm"ing and "ahhhh"ing...it makes me want to vomit. Say "this is SO good" or whatever...but don't mmmmmm and ahhhhh, it's gross!!!

P.S. I'm new here & still can't figure out how to get my "tracker" to post automatically. Though I've only been here since Sun. and haven't lost anything yet that I know of. I'm only gong to weigh myself once a week, I think. Too scared of getting discouraged.

You have to be here 20 days and have 20 posts before you get a ticker.

ready4skinny
08-26-2010, 01:40 PM

I believe that you need 25 posts before you can have a tracker/signature, I am new too and can't wait to post a tracker and some mini-goals :)

ready4skinny
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Is " Skinny feels better than that tastes :) "

Say it nice with a smile, they will quit taunting you ;)

Glindathegoodwitch47
08-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Keep reminding yourself that you are making healthy choices and you are making an effort to look and feel better. :bubbles:

Meikmeika
11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I know my post is coming months later but this topic struck a chord with me.

The majority of the people in my office are considered obese. I am overweight... When they see me eating healthy they ask my why and say I'm skinny. I had 10lbs to lose when I started the position in Jan, now I have 22lbs to lose..AAAARRRR!!!!

<<I must ignore>> <<I must ignore>>

RoseRodent
11-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Whilst I don't for one moment condone the way they are behaving, I can see where they are coming from. For whatever reason we have our social lives and our food very tied up together, and there is a sense that you are only having a 'treat' or 'celebration' if you pig out on junk food. If you go to the pizza place and order a salad then no matter how much you enjoy the salad you are failing to join in the celebration, which is crazy!

I think your co-workers are mixing up the change in your food plan with changes in personality. Maybe they are scared their eating practices will be judged, that you will become a diet bore, that you won't be prepared to go out on birthday celebrations and things any more, that they are losing you. They need to understand that you can still be tonnes of fun, but that the whole eating thing is not open to negotiation, you are eating this way now, but if they want to invite you to the "bad" places for a special occasion you will still go along. Avoid words that sound like you are denying yourself when you order ("just" the salad) and hype up how delicious it is ooooh, that salad looks fantastic, I think I'll choose the salad, yes the pizza sounds great but the salad looks better. Maybe find a place where you are happy with the nutrition status of a particular dish and invite them all out there and have a load of fun.

If they are intent on waving their lunch at you then you can always do the same in fun with yours - mmmmmm, broccoli try some, go on, try it, it's luuuuuurverly. Oh well, your loss, slurp, slurp chomp. Maybe even say something that confirms you are totally put off by their food but which doesn't judge them for eating it - no thanks, never realised how much cheese gave me indigestion till I stopped having pizza, now I don't touch it.

I think it will settle when they start to see you are really serious. They will be used to having people who come and go who have tried a diet for a few weeks or who have gone on and off diets until it's totally boring, or are "on a diet" but still eat all the food of the day, and those people are top brass annoying. A woman in an office I worked at used to be "on a diet" for a couple of weeks at a time, then eat chocolates, then harp on about Weight Watchers for hours a day like we cared about the ins and outs of it, and if you offered her a chocolate she'd spend about 10 minutes prevaricating "ooh, I mustn't, ooh, how naughty, oooh I'll weigh a tonne next meeting, maybe I won't go, oh, maybe I can exercise it off, what do you think... no, no I won't, oh go on then show me the box, do you think a hazelnut one will be the lowest in calories? Yes, yes, I'll have the nut one, aren't I naughty". I'm nasty I know, but I used to pull the box away from her as soon as she said "Oooh, I mustn't" and say "OK then, John, you want one?" cos I couldn't stick it! Now she was a total pain because she was only "on a diet" when it suited her. The people who were really serious about what they ate we left alone, we had a guy who was doing weight training and he ate super-carefully out of boxed lunches and downed egg after egg at his desk, but he was committed every single day and had a strength of purpose, so we'd ask him about his training and plan our meals out around what he could join in with, but the woman with the "diet" we could never realistically include.

ducktape54
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I can understand. At work we often have celebrations/stressed days that seem to lead to eating out or going for the stash of food that is in the office. I recently changed offices and my office mate has selections of candy that she encourages others to eat. it is nice..but I have a really big sweet tooth/am a totally stress/bored eater. So I have to make a conscious effort to say not to candy....sugar free gum can be a sweet alternative. A few of the people I work with have all began to bring our lunches in and we eat in one of our offices.

MiZTaCCen
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I'd be like you enjoy that grease ball while it clogs up your arteries, I’ll enjoy my healthy food thanks and I’d add a smile and then change the topic. haha I've like that though there are times my foot should be put in my mouth and I don't. I have a co-worker who jokes around (and of course he's a super skinny guy) will mention when he sees me eat salad. "That stuff will kill you, you know" and I go, not as fast as eatting junk and plopping back on that 15 pounds I just lost haha, he usually shuts up after that.

It doesn't matter where you go in life you're always going to come across people who want to taint a situation or make it harder for you, because in reality they aren't strong willed and think they couldn't do it. People like that hate strong people because they know they will succeed and all they wish is for their failure.

me4life
12-08-2010, 04:38 AM
time will change things. once they see you start losing weight they'll start asking how you did it and the roles will be reversed