Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Weigh in at Home 9/16 - 9/22

Hi all

angel-eyes - Congrats on a terrific loss on Friday. Way to go!

Judy - Thinking of you this Yom Kippur.

I had a so-so weekend foodwise. I'm having a hard time finding motivation. I suspect my doctor will find it for me when I go for my appointment on Wednesday. We did do a fun thing yesterday though - watched ski jumping. The town next to ours has a ski jump hill and club and they held their summer tournament yesterday. (They put down a woven plastic runner, which they keep wet.) Their competitions drawn Olympians and national champs, so they're fun to watch.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Carla
Old 09-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #2  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone;

Quiet here this week.

AE - congratulations on your terrific loss last week!!

Judy - hope you've had a pleasant Yom Kippur.

Carla - nothing like a lecture from the doctor to get you in the frame of mind to do some losing. The ski jumping sounds like a blast; I would have loved to have seen it.

Still plugging away, although I don't have much motivation at the moment. I think I'll take the dogs down to the beach to play; I wish I had their energy!

Have a good day.

Karen
Old 09-17-2002, 02:22 PM   #3  

Hi all,

Carla - sorry to hear about your so-so weekend. I know how doctor's visits can give you that motivation! Thanks for the thoughts. The ski jumping sounds like a blast.

Karen - I think this motivation dip is contagious! Thanks for the thoughts. Did you take the dogs down to the beach?

Angel-eyes - congratulations on such a great loss!

I had a decent weigh-in. I lost one pound of the 1.4 I gained 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to have lost more but I'll take it! I can't say my motivation was great this weekend. My exercise was good on Sat but non-existant since then. I defintely slipped off the wagon a bit at my mom's on Sunday night and last night at the break fast. Yesterday was a sort of tough day - very emotional. I went to synagogue in the morning but didn't go back for the late afternoon session (the memorial service part). I'm back OP foodwise today. Exercise wise is a little tougher. I'm in the office today and I have an offsite (non-voluntary) class to attend tomorrow and Wed that is downtown near my old office. I hope to get some exercise sessions in today, tomorrow or Thurs but I know from experience that when I'm in the city my exercise suffers. I'll be very glad if I can squeak out with a maintain come weigh-in on Saturday.

Judy
163.6/155.8/135
Old 09-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #4  

Hi all.

Karen - If you can keep plugging away, even without the motivation, then you're ahead of the gain. Good for you. I'm so not looking forward to the lecture from my doctor, who is very nice and whom I really like, which probably just makes it worse. Oh well, if I can make it through the pap smear and the rectal exam, I'll make it through the lecture.

Judy - Congrats on chasing that pound away. The other .4 will soon follow. Bummer about the off-site meeting throwing your exercise schedule off. Could you get some walking in while you're in the city?

My weigh-in today was ok. I got rid of all that water and am back to my starting point. I guess that's a good place to be since with the visit to the doctor and all, it's like a fresh start. I pulled out the measuring spoons and cups today and am back to business. I've held off activating my one-month membership to the gym because I really want my doctor to give me the go-ahead on what I can do. I think I'm going to ask about a stress test. I'm now a couple of years older than my dad was when he had his first heart attack and it's freaking me out a bit.

I'll talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 09-19-2002, 01:55 PM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Hi all...

Looks like everyone is in the doldrums this week!

Carla - hope you made out okay with your Dr. I was on three month recalls for pap smears for two years...luckily now I'm back to annually. The indignities we have to suffer! Luckily women are protected a little more against cardiac disease than men until menopause. Good for you for pulling out the measuring stuff. I have to get back to basics too.

Judy - congrats on your loss, hopefully the rest will follow in short order. Hope you manage to sneak in some exercise.

We went to visit little Jasper last night, he's grown enormously and is even cuter than last week. Less than 3 weeks till puppy pickup now.

I've been NOP for the last couple of weeks, but eating relatively sanely. Had a maintain yesterday, but I still have those four pounds to deal with. The trainer at the gym want me to start incorporating some low carb days, Judy are you still doing that??

That's it for now...hope you're all doing well.

Karen
Old 09-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #6  

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on the maintain. Even though you aren't OP, you obviously are doing more right than wrong. I would hate to do three-month pap smears, although I must say that going through infertility treatments has kind of made me ho hum about pelvic exams. After you check your dignity and pride at the door a couple of times, you tend to forget to pick it up again. I bet you can't wait to get Jasper home. He will be a delight, I bet.

Well, the doctor didn't lecture me. He knows that I know what I need to do and what my risks are. He negotiated with me. My blood pressure was borderline high and he was really on the fence about perscribing meds. He said if he thought I'd turn over a new leaf and eat right and exercise he'd be less disposed to percribe them. So I suggested that I follow WW and exercise (he wants 30 minutes of walking, stationary biking or swimming every day, if I can manage it) and report back to him in three months. He agreed and said he'd like me to take off 1/2 pound a week. I can certainly do that, so we have a deal. As much as being told I have to do something makes me not want to do it, I do not want to face the music in three months when I see him again, so I'll be a good girl. He also gave me some exercises for my ankles, so we'll see how that helps. He thinks the fatigue I'm feeling is probably caused by sleep apnea, but he ordered several blood tests. So we'll see. All in all it was a good visit and I'm glad I didn't put it off. I ate within points yesterday and have a good day planned today. I've even planned out menus for the next couple of weeks. **** is most likely freezing over now. And hopefully it will stop raining so I can get in a walk rather than face the stationary bike.

I hope you are all doing well. Angie and Michele - if you're out there please stop by to say "hi". Holly, you too.

Carla
Old 09-19-2002, 06:43 PM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - I'm not sure that **** is actually freezing over, but there's a definite chill in the air!! You're a master negotiator! Controlling hypertension with diet and exercise is infinitely better for you than medication. 30 lbs ago I had the same discussion with my doc. My bp is great now, although he's still after me to lose more weight. How about we start up a little exercise challenge to encourage us to get our collective butts in gear?! Can you watch tv where your bike is? Helps the time along immensely. Excellent idea in planning way ahead. You could even pre-chop your veggies in advance to make meal prep quick and easy. I try to do that...although while I've been on vacation, I've put off major grocery shopping and only picked up what I've had to make for dinner...the party's over on Monday, back to work.

Hope you're having a good day...

Karen
Old 09-19-2002, 10:45 PM   #8  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Talking hey ladies......

Hi Ladies......gosh, where has the week gone? Today was a great day....busy with little time hanging around the fridge!!! lol

Today was a whirlwind day...helping a friend do some shopping for a trip she is taking. Boy did I have fun ....spending her money!!! All the stores are now getting the new season stock in and it was nice to see some of the new styles and colours. I have my weighin tommorow and will be looking forward to (fingers crossed) a loss!

An excellent idea Merrylegs......I've started to go for a daily walk. I bought one of those pedometers and am ready to start with it in the morning. It measures # of steps,calories, and #of miles walked. I can't wait. I try for 1.5-2.5 miles. ....so we'll see.Good for you on the 'maintain'....I'd take that any day instead of a gain. And to think...you haven't even gone crazy with the pts. Good for you!!

Cece.....I'm glad to hear you had a good dr.s appt.It certainly sounds like a good course of action and .5lb per week is definitely do-able!! I used to be so intimidated by my dr. and then I thought how silly.....and as you say...lost my inhibitions. I thought...imagine his day...seeing "that" all day!!! He used to joke about losing his watch while doing my pap. Now....I ask you?.....how can you be nervous with a dr. like that?

Old 09-20-2002, 11:27 AM   #9  

Hi all.

Karen - Ok, maybe it didn't completely freeze - just a deep layer of frost. I'm all for an exercise challenge. Unfortunately, there's no room to put my bike where the T.V. is, but perhaps I can get a small T.V. to bring by the bike. At any rate, T.V. or no, I just have to do it. So, let's get going together. Good idea to pre-chop veggies. I hate chopping veggies, I really do. But I could get out the old cutting board while Oprah is on and chop away.

angel-eyes - Sounds like you have a good doctor too. I find I'm able to carry on a normal conversation with him while he's going about the exam. Sounds like you had a fun shopping trip. I'll be interested to hear how you like your pedometer as I'm thinking of getting one as well. Let us know how your weigh-in went.

Judy - I hope all is well with you.

I'm going to be investigating adding more soy to my diet. I think I may have had a hot flash in my doctor's office. (And isn't it just a joy to be sweating like a pig in one of those paper gowns.) Maybe it was nerves, I don't know. But I do know that the last couple of months my temperature has slightly elevated during PMS, so I'm thinking it's best to prepare now. Since HRT is now out of the question, soy seems like the next best thing.

Have a great day and a terrific weekend.

Carla
Old 09-20-2002, 01:50 PM   #10  

Carla - Good for you for getting back to your starting point AND taking out the measuring cups and spoons. I think it's very wise of you to ask for the stress test. Exercise is supposed to make you feel better and reduce stress (well, at least after you do it) - no sense in getting stressed about doing it! No, I didn't get any walking done - there was barely time to eat lunch and check my messages, emails, etc. I just read about your visit to the doctor - he sounds like a great physician. I'll tell you what, Carla - I have to go back to mine for a cholesterol test (I should do it by the end of Oct - I'm already a little overdo) - so I'm going to be with you on being consistently OP foodwise and exercise wise and we'll see how please we can make our doctors! Way to go on planning out the meals - yup, it's feeling a little chilly here (LOL)! I really like Silk Vanilla Soy milk - I use it in my cereal instead of regular milk, and the chocolate is yummy too. I find that I flash after coffee and alcohol (which doesn't mean I've cut them out of my diet- ha!) I also take vitamin E which I think helps too.

Karen - Fantastic news about maintaining when you haven't been OP (at least as far as you said). Seems like evidence to me that you have incorporated some of this in your lifestyle. No, I haven't kept up on the low carb days. I've avoided going back to them because I really don't like eating that way. I can't really say if they helped or not. My weight has fluctuated around the same total loss - between 6-9 pounds lost. I may start them up again - I'll see. What I did realize was that when I was in the high 140's I was consistent with my strength training as well as my cardio, so I'm trying to get that back into my workouts in a consistent way. I may pick up on the low carb days again - maybe I'll try one a week and see how that works. What I do know I have to do is to be consistently OP FOODWISE - that's always my downfall. I'll bet you can't wait for puppy pickup day! I know what you mean about the 3 month pap smears. I'm still on 6 month colposcopies - I think I have one more to go (assuming they still come back negative). Blech!

Angel-eyes - way to go on getting the pedometer. Getting out shopping is certainly a good way to get away from the fridge especially if you are not spending money! I'll keep my fingers crossed for your weigh-in.

I'm all for an exercise challenge - yes, I know I usually do it but I missed Mon-Thur this week (holiday and class) and it looks like I have to be in the city Tues-Thur next week - so I'm with you all. The class was so-so but it made for a couple of stressful days since there were emails and phone calls (and some work do) to return during the day when I could and in the evening when I didn't manage to before going home! I did try to get up early on Wed to do a 1/2 hour before leaving for the course but I just re-set my alarm! I did manage to avoid the bagels and danish they set out in the morning (I brought a ff yogurt) and the cookies and brownies after lunch so that's a sizeable victory. I did the best I could at lunch. I was under my minimum on Tuesday (by 1 pt) so I had some in the bank when I went over my max on Wed. I got to 2 below my max last night and decided to brush my teeth and ignore all the snack thoughts. It actually worked! This morning, I did a combined cardio/strength workout. I hope I have a good weigh in tomorrow. I did poorly over the weekend and have had a good bit of salt in my diet this week too (I had popcorn last night) so my sneak peek this morning was 2 pounds up. I'm trying to guzzle water though and hope to eat at the low end of my points today.

Have a great one today and a great weekend.
Judy
Old 09-20-2002, 04:27 PM   #11  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Talking TA DA!!!

I was a big loser this week (who knew?) with another 2 lbs lost. I actually surprized myself as I initially weighed in with a .5 lb loss and then went for a great walk (with my new pedometer) came home and used the restroom...(sorry ladies....) and then weighed again and TA DA!!!...the scale read -2 lbs!!! I tried myself 3x's just to make sure. I'm sooooo happy!!!

Judy........It sure sounds like you had a very tempting week....bagels,danish,brownies and cookies. That would have been the end of me! Good for you and your willpower. You are so right.....sometimes 'doing our best' is what we can only hope for. I don't have my pt book with me, but I was wondering how does soy milk measure in pts? I should try to incorporate some soy into my diet as well. I'll have to try to look for the Silk Soy brand.

Cece....Nothing like a good trip to the dr.s to make a fresh start. Good for you for starting with the basics again....measuring! So many times I've found that just 'eyeballing it' is always way over in pts. It might not mean much for that serving...but over the course of a whole week; could be the difference between a loss or a gain.

Just a note, since some of you have asked:......my pedometer is great!! I bought it at Target and it was only $17.00. Before using the only thing you have to figure out is the length of your stride. Once you input that number in and your weight....you're all set to go. The pedometre measures # of strides (as in 10,000 per day), miles or km walked and calories used. (it also has a clock) This morning I walked 2.5miles, for a total of 325 calories used. What a great motivator!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 05:37 PM   #12  

Angel-eyes - congratulations on a great loss!!! SOy milk measures the same as skim milk - 2 points per cup. I love it - it's a great way to get your calcium in in a yummy way.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:56 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hey AE,
Good to see you around! I have been so crazy with the kids and drum roll please........I joined the gym! I got 4 of my buddies to do it with me and as soon as we drop the kids off, we hit the gym.
a great modivator ans some really fun classes too.

I have to get back on plan really badly, but I am hoping getting the execise under my belt I can then feel good enought to get back on plan and count points again.

Anyway, sorry I have not e mailed you, I hope all is well,
-L

Hi to the rest of you too. I am a LTM of ww, but (she says shyly...have a *few *pounds to take off to get back to goal.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:01 PM   #14  

I stayed the same this week. Am on an antidepressant & the weight loss is really slow.....9.2 lbs. since the end of April. I have to see the Dr. this week...so I am going to ask him about the slow loss.

I am feeling a lot better now & am able to follow WW a lot better.

April
Closed Thread