General chatter - First Our TOYS Now Our BOTTLES!

View Full Version : First Our TOYS Now Our BOTTLES!

EZMONEY
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
What is going on here folks...earlier this week a county in California says they will ban our Happy :) Meal toys and now Concord, Mass. plans to take away our plastic bottles :fr:

What's next :dunno:

Are they gonna :judge: pick whether I wear boxers or briefs?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/23320994/detail.html

mescelestus
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Its terrible! These kinds of things really trouble me!

GradPhase
05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I think this is absolutely fantastic. I think it would also be wonderful if they went one step further and banned plastic bottled soda. Not only better for the environment but better for health. In one of my psych classes last year a girl did a study on rats exposed to too much plastic - the rats grew ambiguous genitalia and it was nearly impossible to tell which were male and which were female. Yikes!

When I lived in Europe they only had glass bottled Coca Cola products, and local beer. If you saved the glass bottles you could sell them back to the plants for them to be boiled and reused. Fantastic!

EZMONEY
05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Growing up as a kid we always we able to take pop bottles back to the store for candy $$$

We drink tap water here....Angie has a brita filter for her water jug in the fridge....I'm fine with it unfiltered.

Angie and all my kids have water bottles that use filters...they can fill up out of the gutter if they want....

I have a plastic bottle that I re-use for work until it just gets too "used"...usually lasts me well over 3-4 months...

We recycle all our plastic/glass/cardboard and paper here....

I really don't think the plastic bottles are the problem...

I think it's people just don't really give a damn and our basically lazy...

the government isn't going to stop that....

mom4life
05-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I think this is absolutely fantastic. I think it would also be wonderful if they went one step further and banned plastic bottled soda. Not only better for the environment but better for health. In one of my psych classes last year a girl did a study on rats exposed to too much plastic - the rats grew ambiguous genitalia and it was nearly impossible to tell which were male and which were female. Yikes!

When I lived in Europe they only had glass bottled Coca Cola products, and local beer. If you saved the glass bottles you could sell them back to the plants for them to be boiled and reused. Fantastic!

totally agree, there are chemicals in certain plastic grades that are very harmful to us. Not to mention the ones that were the worst were plastics used for baby bottles and other products. I would love it if we went back to glass again.

Sweetcaroline
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Ahhh... The 'beautiful' people of Massachusetts are at it again... I can say it, I was one of them.... I'm sitting here putting a lot of salt on my Happy meal and rinsing of the toy off with my plastic bottle of water...:dizzy: p.s. I do recycle... and reuse everything I can, but where is this going to stop ?

Viviane
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm truly horrified that a town would try to do something positive for the planet, for our national security, and for their own health. How dare they?!

/sarcasm

Crystalynnn
05-08-2010, 04:04 AM
its definitely a good thing.
just get reusable water bottles, better for us anyway.

and plus when youre a kid all you want in the happy meal is the toy anyway, and the kids wont want to go to mcdonalds err whereever because there isnt a toy for them

CrystalZ10
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm truly horrified that a town would try to do something positive for the planet, for our national security, and for their own health. How dare they?!

/sarcasm

lol..

I'll buy one 1 Liter plastic bottle and reuse it for a few months and than recycle it with other plastic bottles. I want to buy some reusable containers to drink from but my hubby leaves them in his truck and than I have nothing to use. Gonna have to get tougher with him on that. lol

EZMONEY
05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
As I mentioned before...I recycle just about anything I put my hands on in our home.

I was in high school for the first Earth Day 40 years ago....

we grew up with the..."If it's yellow it's mellow...brown flush it down"...

I just think there are probably 50+ things worse at fast food restaurants than the toys...

I also think it is just silly about the water bottles....like putting a band-aid on open heart surgery....

I voted in the poll...looks like almost 75% agree with me :carrot: YES!!

of course they do....:)

I am pretty sure cities around America right now have much bigger issues they should be focused on than happy meal toys and small water bottles....

no wonder cities are going broke everywhere!

Sweetcaroline
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
As I mentioned before...I recycle just about anything I put my hands on in our home.

I was in high school for the first Earth Day 40 years ago....

we grew up with the..."If it's yellow it's mellow...brown flush it down"...

I just think there are probably 50+ things worse at fast food restaurants than the toys...

I also think it is just silly about the water bottles....like putting a band-aid on open heart surgery....

of course they do....:)

I am pretty sure cities around America right now have much bigger issues they should be focused on than happy meal toys and small water bottles....

We called it Ecology back then, 'littering' was the biggest culprit at the time here...we've made progress.. well, if you don't look on the bottoms of rivers and streams....

EZMONEY
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
We called it Ecology back then, 'littering' was the biggest culprit at the time here...we've made progress.. well, if you don't look on the bottoms of rivers and streams....

I still use the word "ecology" and younger people look at me and say..."huh"...
as they are thinkin'..."what were you smokin' back then dude?" :D

ANOther
05-09-2010, 04:05 PM
[old lady] I can remember when we got our pop in 16-oz bottles, in cardboard carrier boxes, that we had to take back to the store when they were all empty; or when vending machines had pop in glass bottles and there were wooden crates next to the machine where you put the dead soldiers. They weren't recycled; they were just taken back to the bottlery, cleaned and reused! [/old lady]

yoyoma
05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
There are (at least) two issues with plastic bottles.

1) Health. It's pretty clear that there are increased health risks associated with over-exposure to food products in contact with some kinds of plastic. Since I don't use bottled water, I haven't bothered to research how risky bottled water is but it's always sad and frustrating to me to see folks going out of their way to take positive steps for their health or the health of their children (by drinking water -- and bottled water *seemed* even healthier than tap) and it backfires.

2) Ecology. Plastic bottles waste a lot of energy and water EVEN IF THEY ARE RECYCLED. Litter can also be a concern.

Should a town pass an ordinance banning them? Personally, I think I'd support that even if it were something analogous that did affect me personally. Movements like this require beach fronts to help raise awareness of the problems in the general population, even if the ban does not spread.

GradPhase
05-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I think that certainly, a point that shouldn't be over looked is the fact that it was a town who came together to vote for this ordinance on their own. Small, local, government at work. If 75% of their population disagreed with it, it wouldn't have passed. They wanted it, they took action for it, and they got it.

..Awesome..!

:)

Viviane
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I am bed-bound and home alone for hours. I have water in plastic bottles in my room so they are light enough that I can lift them and so that if i drop one it won;t break. There are thousands of ways people hurt the earth more each day than my bottled water. Why single out this aspect of modern life?
Dinkachu- it's completely understandable that you rely on plastic bottles. If only those who were bed-bound or had some other medical condition used plastic bottles, this wouldn't be an issue.
As for why people should be concerned with this one small part of modern life...because 2 million plastic drink bottles are thrown away every 5 minutes in the United States alone. Two million every five minutes!! That's inconceivable to most people. I know many people recycle, but many more do not without a financial incentive and very few states offer bottle redemption.

CrystalZ10- consider buying a stainless steel water bottle! They last decades and if you invest in a decent one, which aren't much more expensive than Nalgene bottles, you won't have that metallic taste. Try Klean Kanteen (http://www.kleankanteen.com/) if you're interested- great product and the company is socially and environmentally responsible. And, work on that hubby of yours!! ;)

Ezmoney, that's great! :) Many, many, many people still do not or they'd like to, but their towns don't so they have no place to recycle.

Perhaps if you were open to looking into the issue some more, you would see that small, grassroots changes can and do make a difference. One community's efforts often spread across the country in just a couple of years and the impact multiplies exponentially. Any individual effort to live a "greener" life looks like putting "a band-aid on open heart surgery" at first. :dizzy: Your individual effort to recycle in your own house makes no perceptible difference to the planet! It would be silly to believe that it would. But, 10 or 100 million homes putting forth that effort? Impact! :carrot:

Two MILLION plastic drinking bottles are thrown away EVERY 5 MINUTES in the United States. There are numerous websites that painstakingly detail the damage plastic bottles do to the environment, our health, and our wallets, so I won't repeat the information here. But, if you're so inclined, there's a fantastic documentary called Tapped.
You mentioned you were in high school during the first Earth Day celebration...do you remember a time before everyone carried a personal bottle of water? What happened to change that? Oh yeah, bottling companies hired some great marketers and now we can't live without it. That's fine, I carry water with me everywhere, so I get it. But, no one has to use plastic- there are alternatives. It may not be quite as convenient (or expensive) as buying a 24 pack of Poland Spring every week, but it's only as difficult as doing your dishes and filling a bottle from the tap.
Think on this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_V2EmhfRfoQ4/R65wUA_fKxI/AAAAAAAAA6o/eGGtMHI07G8/s400/PLastic%2BBag%2BStory%2B2%2Bmillion%2BPlastic%2BBo ttles%2BChris%2BJordan.bmp

Well, I guess that's what's important and it must mean you're right if a poll on the internet says you are. :rolleyes:

Where did this idea that government should only work on thing at a time? Complete cop-out.

Looks like we're not going to agree on too many things, but I will definitely raise my stainless steel water bottle to you tonight with best wishes for good health! :)

GradPhase
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Viviane - I'm totally interested in seeing Tapped. Thanks for the awesome information!

EZ - I still like you, anyway. :hug:

:carrot:

EZMONEY
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Looks like we're not going to agree on too many things,

And that is why it's so fun! ;)

but I will definitely raise my stainless steel water bottle to you tonight with best wishes for good health! :)

And I will raise my Trader Joe's Mission St. Blonde Ale in "GLASS" to you!

EZ - I still like you, anyway. :hug:

And you know you are always one of my favorites too KIDDO :hug:

EZMONEY
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh and by the way...I don't believe EVERYTHING I see/read in movies...papers...polls...research....

If I did I would have quit drinking coffee years ago!

yoyoma
05-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Sorry to revive this thread but I just saw your last post about coffee. I don't drink bottled water, but I *do* drink coffee, so I pay attention when I hear research results. For decades people have been trying to prove that coffee is bad for you, and I used to hear general advice (based on no research whatsoever) that you should avoid it. The only research results I've seen that indicate empirically observed negative effects of coffee are that it can exacerbate arrhythmia in folks who have a pre-existing condition.

There are proven biological effects that *might* be negative... 1) the effects of caffeine can cause insomnia and 2) it raises cortisol levels (but it also raises metabolic rate, as does exercise).

However, again, the empirical research I've seen is that moderate coffee drinking actually extends life. The speculation is that it combats depression and also contains powerful anti-oxidants (which fight cancer) and beneficial phytochemicals (which fight coronary disease).

Waterwoman64
05-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Just found this thread and would like to share some info. that i just found out today: 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated (likely applies to half the world population); in 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger; even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%; one glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a Univ.ofWashington study; lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue; preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers; a mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math & difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page; and drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79% and one is less likely to develop bladder cancer.
I have 4 17.5 oz. snapple glass bottles that I use and refill daily to get my water. Still love those Micky D toys for the gkids and what in the world does this all have to do with our 'National Security' anyway?!!

Viviane
05-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Viviane - I'm totally interested in seeing Tapped. Thanks for the awesome information!

I hope you enjoy it, it's phenomenal!

I have 4 17.5 oz. snapple glass bottles that I use and refill daily to get my water.
Thanks for the info on dehydration! Good stuff ;)

what in the world does this all have to do with our 'National Security' anyway?!!
U.S. foreign policy is largely centered on the acquisition of oil (petroleum products) for the needs of the population. The U.S. is responsible for 23% of the world's oil consumption and we only account for 5% of the world's population. We import 57% of our petroleum...from places like the Middle East. This all means that we make deals with, and demands of, highly unstable governments to obtain a majority of our petroleum.

How does this impact national security? When those governments decide they've had enough of U.S. interference and stop playing ball we go to war. This not only directly impacts our national security by engaging in war, but creates generations of poor kids who have grown up with the U.S. as the enemy/chief cause of strife (either because their government has successfully blamed the U.S. for their hardship, or because it's obvious the U.S. is the enemy because of civillian casualties). Those kids are then recruited into terrorist organizations and it wasn't a hard sell because of the environment they grew up in. In short, our national security is greatly impacted by our consumption of petroleum products.
And, I don't want to insult your intelligence (please forgive me if this does, but many people don't know), plastic is made from...petroleum!!

MissKoo
05-16-2010, 10:33 PM
It's quite interesting to see people's different takes on this issue.

The only thing I can add is that cities may have more/other important issues to deal with but why not pick the low hanging fruit?

Operator265
05-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Glass is made from trona and trona is MAJOR in my neck of the woods. In fact, WY is the world's largest producer of trona. The way our excise taxes are structured means WY is a NO INCOME TAX state and doing pretty darned well with it's budget. Sales Taxes aren't outrageous either.

I say Heck Yes!! Let's support American producers and to heck with the Mid East.

Waterwoman64
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Viviane - wow! I think you are my daughter in disguise! Certainly enjoyed reading your views on the national security/petroleum tie-in. Is this why you would be anti Micky D toys too??
Operator 265 was very informative on the Wyoming situation with the glass production. I am allllll for glass - everything tastes better in glass and I believe it is healthier too. Am also all for buying and supporting American products in all manner of things....
ANOther (old lady) sure brought back some great memories of the pop machines and glass bottles and of a simpler time. We would never have been able to envision these conversations way back then!
EZmoney & Sweet Caroline and the 'ecology' memories are also great to read and all of the comments from other contributors.

EZMONEY
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's a story from yesterdays local paper on recycle that is yet ANOTHER problem....

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/carlsbad/article_4d91f80e-d26d-55f8-8ffd-c5383750597e.html

cbmare
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Regarding the meals with toys. That was started up here in Santa Clara County. I am against it because I feel it is/was my job to decide what my kids could eat. I don't think they got a Happy Meal until they were in their mid/late teens and went into McDonald's and discovered them.

We recycle everything we can. The city has given us (well, we pay for it in our utility bills) big blue cans. We no longer have to separate the paper from the cardboard and keep the bottles and cans separate from the paper. We can dump it all in the big blue can. It is so much easier. Heavier, but easier. In fact, if boobalah is out of town, I have to get the big blue meanie out front and make numerous trips to it because I can't roll it over the tan bark. We no longer have a lawn because it is one of the most wasteful uses of water. We have raised herb beds and some drought tolerant ground cover that requires very little water. The back yard is the same way. In fact, if it will stop being so windy and rainly, we'll severely prune our many thyme plants.

I have a plastic bottle at my desk. It is refillable. I have used it for years and go through about 4 of them per day. I keep 1 in my car and on my bedside table. I don't like the metal ones because I can't see how much water is left.

Oh, the guy in San Jose with the toys in the meals issue would love to see everyone live where they work, walk to work and would like to ban all automobiles in downtown San Jose.

EZMONEY
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
OH! My sister and her grandson met me today at the campgrounds for a walk through the area we will stay next month...she had a bottle of water for him she asked me to open...

it had a little pop-top on it...maybe...maybe 6oz. of water....I'm thinkin' 4 oz but I can't swear to it...

I said this sure looks like a waste of time, $$$, future trash...she's says "Ya, I know...but that's what his mom gave me for him"....

gonna talk to my niece!!!...wink

cbmare
05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Ya'll all know to leave the cap off those bottles when you recycle them, don't you? Not all places will recycle the bottle if the top is on it. They will just chuck the bottle.

azdevils14
05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Well I'm going play devils advocate here, my problem with this story is the government be it local, state or federal is impinging on peoples rights. Now its bottles and happy meal toys, next are we going to have to weigh in at the grocery story and our weight will dictate what we can buy? That being said yes plastic water bottles create a huge garbage/recycling problem but instead of the government stepping in to regulate how about we make a society shift. Just my 0.02 sorry for the soapbox rant.

cbmare
05-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Well I'm going play devils advocate here, my problem with this story is the government be it local, state or federal is impinging on peoples rights. Now its bottles and happy meal toys, next are we going to have to weigh in at the grocery story and our weight will dictate what we can buy? That being said yes plastic water bottles create a huge garbage/recycling problem but instead of the government stepping in to regulate how about we make a society shift. Just my 0.02 sorry for the soapbox rant.

That's what I was barking about in my post. What kids eat should be the parent's decision, NOT some politician. I can understand getting the school lunch programs back and out of vending machines but that is at school, not a parent taking a kid out to eat.

Communities all over the place are making recycling easier and easier. There is no reason to keep throwing stuff away if the city provides containers and curb side pickup.

That said, I never gave my kids gas money when they started driving. They had to take our recycle stuff to the center and turn it in. We could always tell when a special event was happening. boobalah was drinking beer out of cans at the time and they were constantly offering to bring him another beer. LOL.

cbmare
12-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Now some woman is suing McDonald's because she has to tell her kids "No" too often and that McDonald's is getting into her kids heads without her permission. Geez, woman! Ever heard of telling your kids to stop asking or they are going to lose a priviledge if they bring it up again? I don't know how old her kids are but if they are preteen, she is REALLY going to have her hands full. If they ban the toys in Happy Meals, what is she going to do to keep her brats from whining? Is she going to sue somebody because she now has to go to Toys R Us and buy a little toy for them?

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/15/woman-sues-mcdonalds-over-happy-meals/

EZMONEY
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
MARE, there is another world out there...far-far from ours!

HartLover23
12-17-2010, 10:12 PM
i want to say to her "pssst.....lady..... they don't want McD's for the stinking toys!"

Ciao
12-17-2010, 10:37 PM
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg
I find it great that they've banned
water bottles in the town. I'd actually
be thrilled if they did that here. I
wouldn't mind it the least.
http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/JeMappelleSierra/Photography/divider-2.jpg