Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #1  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Default Accountability: Potential for disaster coming up

Okay, folks, I decided (after reading and responding to the new 10-day challenge) that I could truly use some help, and you are just the folks to provide it.

I have a major event - it lasts for five days - at work coming up starting Monday. I'm the organizer and the main instructor. I will be working from the early morning to late at night - and thus, the potential for disaster. As the event organizer, though, I was able to ensure the presence of healthy snacks and drinks at the event.

I am going to make a few commitments to myself and post each day on how well I did in keeping them.
  • I will eat a good breakfast each day
  • I will bring a good lunch and snacks
  • I will not view long hours and work intensity as a license to eat junk, especially in the evening
  • I will ensure that I exercise for 30-60 minutes during four of the five work days, most probably taking Wednesday off. Normally I work out for about 1:15 on weekdays, so I'm cutting myself some slack while not letting myself off completely
  • I will get at least 6 hours of sleep (normally I get 7-8)

I think that's it. And we'll see how it goes.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I can't help but believe that you will do very well during your major event. You have an excellent plan!

BTW, I bet alot of people will be grateful for those healthy snacks and drinks
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like a solid plan. An additional suggestion: Something that helps me get through tough weeks is knowing that there is a reward at the end of the week. Usually this is my special (but still pretty healthy) Friday-night dinner which my husband and I cook together. This week it's homemade nachos and then we are taking the whole family out to a movie

You're going to be working SO hard, and being SO on-plan; really that's quite an accomplishment. I think planning a reward helps keep away that "long day so I've earned some junk" mentality.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Sounds like you've got it all planned out!

I would wish you luck, but she's fickle, and motivation is too, so instead I will wish you commitment.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

You will do great!!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

You can do this! Just think how much better you will feel after those five days of staying on track and not slipping.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #7  
Argh.

Day 1 Update

* I will eat a good breakfast each day - DONE!

* I will bring a good lunch and snacks - DONE! I only ate one snack, and that after the teaching day was done. Still, I think I did well.

* I will not view long hours and work intensity as a license to eat junk, especially in the evening - DONE.

* I will ensure that I exercise for 30-60 minutes during four of the five work days, most probably taking Wednesday off. Normally I work out for about 1:15 on weekdays, so I'm cutting myself some slack while not letting myself off completely - In progress. I will work out a little on the bike to relax when I'm done here. DONE. 30 mins, stationary bike.

* I will get at least 6 hours of sleep (normally I get 7-8) - DONE. And I was still at the office at 5:30.

I'll post again tomorrow to confirm that I kept my promises tonight - but so far, so good. Boy, am I tired...

Last edited by calluna; 05-11-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Calluna - planning is KEY. You are doing all the right things!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #9  
Argh.

Thanks, beverlyjoy! I did get the right stuff done last night, as tired as I was. It was a GREAT day of training, too!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

Keep it up. You'll feel so awesome and proud of yourself for staying on plan by the end of the week.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #11  
Argh.

Day 2 Update

* I will eat a good breakfast each day - good there.
* I will bring a good lunch and snacks - good here too
* I will not view long hours and work intensity as a license to eat junk, especially in the evening. Did well here. I allowed myself a 160-cal ice cream bar - Breyers smooth and dreamy, but that was part of the plan.
* I will ensure that I exercise for 30-60 minutes during four of the five work days, most probably taking Wednesday off. Normally I work out for about 1:15 on weekdays, so I'm cutting myself some slack while not letting myself off completely. I still have to do this tonight - will shoehorn myself up off this bed shortly and do that. Tired tonight, this will be hard to do.
* I will get at least 6 hours of sleep (normally I get 7-8). Did well last night; plenty of sleep

Day 2 I think was a success. Day 3 will be more challenging because we're supposed to go out to eat after work. The place we're going to has salads, though, so I think I'll be okay.

Thanks for listening - I know it's not very exciting stuff, but writing it helps keep me accountable when I'm this far off my normal routine. This is the sort of thing that could derail me so easily...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #12  
aka Sarah

You're doing great. Due to the stress of the work you're doing and the fact that you're just a little off your normal routine (cortisol inhibits weight loss, etc), it's possible that you won't lose any weight on the scale this week--but remember--MAINTAINING during a difficult and stressful time is just as valuable as losing. Keep goin'!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #13  
Argh.

Thanks so very much for checking in on me, WarMaiden- I really appreciate it!

I think you're probably right; I've lost virtually nothing last week (final preparations) and this week (workshop) even though I've been on plan pretty much the whole time and have had plenty of workout going on too. The sole exception was one meal, when I was having a date night with sweetie- last Friday; and that was planned/limited.

It IS a bit aggravating...but I'll bear in mind that not losing it is just as much progress as losing right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #14  
aka Sarah

It might also help you to envision or remember how you would/did feel under the same stressful conditions, but not paying attention to your eating or sleeping or exercise. You'd feel much worse physically and actually *more* stressed out, am I right? Our brains (where we experience the stress mentally) are not separate from our bodies; they are extremely influenced by our sleeping, eating, and exercise. Feelings of stress are reduced by taking mindful care of our bodies.

My mom is currently in the hospital (she has advanced pancreatic cancer), going on a week. We don't know particularly what's going on with some inflammation and extreme pain she is having yet. This could be extremely stressful to me--on top of my normal responsibilities of work, 3 kids, husband, and home, I need to go to the hospital every evening and I need to help coordinate her care--but I am handling it surprisingly well. And I'm sure the major reason I am able to handle it so well is because I eat only healthful stuff in correct amounts for my body, and I get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day, and I make sure to sleep solidly for 7 to 8 hours per night. Making these self-care items non-negotiable means that I am much more emotionally and physically available to take care of the other people in my life.

Whether or not you lose weight right now, you are taking great care of yourself AND your other responsibilities, and that's the majority of the battle.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Calluna, you are doing an awesome job! I agree that maintaining during times like this is SUCCESS!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote