Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #1  
Blue Ridge Mtn wannabe!

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5'2"

Angry Gas, Gas and more Gas..HELP!

Every time I embark on a veggie based eating plan I feel like I need a deserted island. I take probiotics, Gas-X, Beano like crazy and the one thing I can count on is being a human Gatling gun within an hour. It is humiliating at work and romance is out of the question. The wt loss is not worth the misery and yet Atkins makes so much sense and both my DH and son want to buddy up with me. The yummy crudiferous veggies are the culprits of course, but I can't live on zucc and mushrooms exclusively. Please help!
Deb
debd649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

ditch probiotics they are a waste of money and full of sugar. as for gas i have the opposite atkins totally stops it for me.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #3  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
ditch probiotics they are a waste of money and full of sugar.
Sugar??? Never heard of that. I take Acidophilus Pearls. No sugar or wheat or corn or gluten or preservatives or salt or yeast. They DO have Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum which are two probiotic bacteria with the greatest amount of research and clinical support.

Very helpful before I got to the dairy rung and could have my Greek yogurt again.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #4  
Maintenance May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by debd649 View Post
The yummy crudiferous veggies are the culprits of course, but I can't live on zucc and mushrooms exclusively. Please help!
Deb, there are 58 veggies on the list, surely some of them would agree with you more? Was your pre-Atkins diet low on veggies and other high fiber foods? If so, it does take a while for your body to acclimate. Look over the veggie list and start with the less gas producing ones and then gradually introduce others. You may have to experiment with cooked vs raw with some of them. Sometimes raw veggies can produce more gas. HTH
Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #5  
Blue Ridge Mtn wannabe!

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll work on it!
Have a great weekend all!
Deb
debd649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
Sugar??? Never heard of that. I take Acidophilus Pearls. No sugar or wheat or corn or gluten or preservatives or salt or yeast. They DO have Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum which are two probiotic bacteria with the greatest amount of research and clinical support.

Very helpful before I got to the dairy rung and could have my Greek yogurt again.
over here i've only seen yakult and actimel both heavily sugared. and as they are only putting in things that already exist naturally in your gut why bother with the money
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

DBF takes Acidophilus Pearls, they've helped him tremendously. I highly recommend them!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #8  
Maintenance May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
over here i've only seen yakult and actimel both heavily sugared. and as they are only putting in things that already exist naturally in your gut why bother with the money
We're talking about two entirely different products. The ones you mention are yogurt drinks which would not be recommended on Atkins because of the sugars. The probiotics we're talking about here are supplements. Not everyone has sufficient amounts of these bacteria in their system so these can be very beneficial, especially during the beginning of Atkins when one is not eating real yogurt.

Of course, using a good brand is key. Acidophilus Pearls is one of the highly recommended probiotic supplements. Much different that those sugary flavored drinks.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

My Mom has problems with her stomach and I suggested to her to start the Acidophilus Pearls and she feels so much better!

When I started Atkins I had gas from cauliflower and broccoli but my body adjusted to it, no more gas. What does give me gas are cheeses so I go very light on that, guess I am lactose intolerant to a point.

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote