Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default A Few Questions re TurboJam

Hi ladies,

I happened to watch the infomercial for TJ the other day and I am thinking about it (I am turning into an exercise-DVD-klepto!)

A few questions:

- I am definitely not an exercise novice. Would it still be beneficial for me as cardio?

- I will NEVER buy anything from Beachbody ever again, I would buy it on eBay.
Do I need the charts and cards with the exercises that come with the Beachbody package? Methinks I should be ok with just the two 2 DVDs that contain the 5 workouts. (I will have to get the gloves separately).

- if you have been doing TJ for a while, would you still recommend it?

- and I am just wondering, although this is not important to me, if anybody actually lost the advertised 10 lbs during the first 10 days?

Thanks.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #2  

I have TJ but just the one DVD with the three workouts (the intro one, the burn and the cardio sculpt) and I used to find it challenging when I had just started working out 2-3 years back. Now that I'm going to the gym/running/doing yoga a lot, I don't do TJ much but when I do, it's not as much of a workout. But I don't have the other DVD and I think the harder stuff is on that one.
janehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #3  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

TJ was good cardio for me when I was first starting with exercise. I own somewhere around 10-12 TJ DVDs because I really enjoy the videos, but if you're already fit I wouldn't rely on them for cardio. Now that I'm in better shape TJ is best for me if I do it after doing some other type of workout, as a kind of extra boost.

I never used the charts or cards. The cards have pictures of the moves, but you learn them by doing the videos anyway, so I don't get the point. TJ also normally comes with a booklet with meal ideas and general tips (cut out soda, etc), but nothing very impressive -- nothing you probably don't already know and practice.

I do like TJ. I've had the DVDs for a couple of years now and I'll still pop one in occasionally. It's fun -- feels more like dancing than an actual workout. I do like the large number of available DVDs, too. I don't use it as often now because I feel like I've become more "serious" about exercise and prefer to lift weights or work out at the gym for an hour. But Chalene is delightfully energetic without being obnoxious. And the music's pretty good.

I didn't lose 10 pounds in the first 10 days, but I wasn't super-strict in following the provided eating plan. Also, I don't have a ton of weight to lose, so I never expected to lose that much in 10 days. It's been a couple years, so I can't tell you exactly how much I lost -- probably something like 3-4 pounds.

I'm not sure if you've heard of, or are interested in, Chalean Extreme -- it's a program by the same trainer, including both weights and cardio (though it's definitely more weights-based than cardio-based). I've had much better results with it and it's definitely more intense than TJ. If you haven't, maybe you should look into that program instead.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

Thank ladies, I appreciate your replies.

Skyra,
Thanks for the tip re Chalean Extreme. I have been reading about it here on 3FC. I have two exercised DVD's by Jackie Warner (who was featured in the Work Out program on TV a year ago or so) and I love those. That is basically lifting with a bit of cardio thrown in to keep the heart rate up. I love her style a lot but she is really into isolation exercises and I want to focus more on compound.
I know there is a long thread about Chalean going so I will check that out.
Also, I have to say Thank God! for reviews on Amazon - I find them very helpful.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Hey Tomato,

I would not buy TJ right now... they are gonna release TJ X in June... and I would definitely wait for this one
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floprieto View Post
Hey Tomato,

I would not buy TJ right now... they are gonna release TJ X in June... and I would definitely wait for this one
Thanks, Floprieto.
I didn't. I got Chalean Extreme instead .... after I did some reading, it seemed like a better option. I had it shipped to my BF's (I do that with all my eBay purchases as he lives in the US) and he is bringing it with him next week.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #7  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floprieto View Post
Hey Tomato,

Are you talking about Turbo Fire? I'm thinking about getting it. I want to see some reviews from other people first. I like the clips that I have seen and what I have heard about it, so far.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145/136.5/124

Height: 5'5"

I know Turbo Fire can't be released fast enough!
Denise24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #9  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise24 View Post
I know Turbo Fire can't be released fast enough!
Ha Ha So you are getting it too? I will order from Mary at totalfitnessdvds.net
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote