Simply Filling/Core - Weekly Chat: May 5- May 11

View Full Version : Weekly Chat: May 5- May 11

sloanie
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM
New pages!!!

sloanie
05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey chicks!! Long time/ no post :) I don't know if you've seen the national news, but we have had severe flooding in Nashville. We have been without internet/phone service and have also been out of school for the last two days. Our home is okay, but many, many people have lost theirs. Also, the death toll was around 12 yesterday and projected to rise. Now we are threatened with losing our drinking water as one of our water purification plants has been flooded. I have caught up on the posts, but have lots of work to do this morning. I'll try to check in later.

aghiowa
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Sloan, you have my empathy with the flooding stuff! I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa, where, if you recall, there was severe flooding the summer of 2008. People are still recovering here. We had to avoid putting any water down any drain during the flood, due to the water treatment plant being flooded. We got very creative. :) People showered in their driveways in the rain; I collected water from our sump pump in the kids' wading pool and we bathed in that. Can you say cold?! :lol: Good luck!

I am feeling much better after last week's super sick marathon here. The weather has been gorgeous.

Time to fold laundry!
Angela

beach bum
05-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Moved my post to over here

Good Morning Ladies

Going to have my hair cut & styled today,cause the last couple of day the humidity was unbearable and now by the end of this week the temps are going down to the 50"s. Just can't figure. Oh well at least It will be neat.

NANCY-Stress with your DH's surgery will keep you from losing,and I know it can be every frustrating.Try to eat less and exercise more,and drink plenty of water. After Leo passed, my weight sky rocketed up to 10 lbs without any reason. I try faithful to my CC/CP WOE to no avail. Now I have 6 lbs of the 10 gone.

SANDRA-The doctor gave me some tips,by saying that I should go on low carbing diet,and my carbs shouldn't go higher than 60G per day.Another thing he told me to keep my calories to 1200 and my fiber to 20 grams. I'm going to hear some time today or tomorrow what my blood test revealed. I walking along the beach,since the weather has been nice my bike is collecting cob webs.

Have to get dressed and get ready for today's chores

beach bum
05-05-2010, 01:29 PM
SLOANE-I'm so sorry about what happening to the poor people that are flooded,TG that you're ok. Can't believe all this bad weather we 're have all though this country,and now I hear that in Northern England and Scotland it snowing.

ANGELA-I remember hearing in the news about the floods that you had.In fact one of the professional golfer come from the area and had a benefit golf tournament to raise money for the people living there.

nancy237
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Sloan

Stay safe with all the flooding, especially when driving...

Rhonda usually keeps us straight with new pages each Monday morning
but I think she is busy with that new Grand baby...

See ..Rhonda..we are a mess without you!!!

I'll try to start a new week Monday am and we will be back on track...

Robin has one tiny spot on his incision that is still draining & bleeding.
(I know how gross that is but there is no other way to put it)
The surgeon told him to wash it with peroxide but I have heard that
peroxide is not good for wounds??? The surgeon said if it does not quit
by next week he may have to open it up again.
Otherwise he is doing great.

sloanie
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for straightening me out, Nancy. Part of my problems was that we were out of school on Monday and Tuesday, so I thought today was Monday :dizzy: Right now we are dry in my neighborhood, so driving is not a problem. I'm just so sad for those people who lost so much!

ontarget
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Sloan, I was wondering about you last night when we were watching the news. Our granddaughters have been out of school, too, due to the flooding. (Ft. Campbell,KY) You be careful and don't take any chances.

Angela, I remember your posting photos of the flooding. After seeing and hearing about all the flooding you and Sloan have had, our little standing water after rains seems like nothing. Sometimes it looks like a lake here, though, but we've never been stranded or in danger to ourselves or our home.

Maryann, sounds like your doctor has given you some good pointers. My doctor offered me diet pills but I refused. They make me extremely nervous. Last time I took them, I was paranoid thinking I was going to get shot in the woods. That was weird.

Nancy, I hope Robin heals and doesn't have to have more surgery. I almost always have complications with healing and infection. I'm not sure why, but I'm suspecting all stems from an infection I had back in the 50's.

We've been doing a little yardwork today but are inside now cooling and relaxing. I am op. So far, I've lost the same 5 pounds I've been losing over and over for about 2 years. When I get to 10 pounds off, I'm going to be feeling like I"m into virgin territory even though I won't have all the 30 off that I've regained since we moved to Texas. I'm just excited to finish relosing those same 5 or so pounds. 10's my mini goal. (Did I just talk in a huge circle?):dizzy:

beach bum
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Just got back from getting my hair cut and buying one of those grab bars for the bathroom but to my surprise I couldn't get my screen storm door open for no reason. Had to call a locksmith and he was so nice it didn't have to break the lock.All he did was take the screws off the frame and the door opened,and the best surprise he only charge the coming out fee of $65. I thought I would be paying alot more.

Going to have a nice cold smoothie & rest after that ordeal,have a nice evening.

ontarget
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Enjoy your smoothie. You've earned it.

I just finished my stretches, Brandi (my chiropractor) is having me do daily. I feel pretty perky.

Tejas
05-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi:

I was really asleep at the wheel this week. I lost track of days! Thanks for getting us going, Sloan. Like the others, I've wondered how you were doing with all that rain and flooding. My heart goes out to everyone there.

I've been doing all right with eating. But, I'm sick of grilled chicken and salad. DH is going to do Nutrisystem, and I might join him. I'll let you know.

I can now do 35 sit ups and 30 modified push ups. :lol: Amazing.

Rhonda

ontarget
05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Rhonda, that is amazing. I did several stretches today and feel like an old woman. Wonder why?

I'm still op but for some reason I've been hungrier today.

sloanie
05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Mornin' chicks! Things are the same here. Water is going down slowly, and we are still being directed to conserve water. We are being "good citizens", but many are not. We may lose our water before this is over. I've been op then "off p" for several days! I'm also in the "lose the same five over and over" club.

Angela, I thought about you when all of our flooding started and remembered your posts. I'm glad to read that your family is feeling better.

Sandra, I, too, am feeling old and doing the stretches that my chiropractor gave me. What is happening to us? Aren't we way, way, way, too young for this?

Rhonda, I love the pic of you and that grand girl! I'll bet you could just eat her up!!!

Nancy, how is Robin? I hope he does not have to have that incision opened. I know your doc did not suggest this, but if you are concerned about using the peroxide, you could clean the area with betadine solution. It is the same solution that we used in the OR to prep the area before surgery, and you can get it at the pharmacy.

Maryann, I'm glad your doc is knowledgeable about nutrition. I'll bet his suggestions help. Sorry about your screen door!

Our internet and phone are out at the house, so I can only post at school. I'll try to check in before I go home. Have a great day, y'all!

beach bum
05-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Looks like rain & thunderstorms are heading our way today,so I'm going to stay indoors today. Won't be bored as I have several empty boxes in the basement that I must break up and tie up in a bundle for next week's pickup.

The doctor called and all my tests come out normal,as I expected that only one that gave me concern was the A1C and that's 6.0,so now I can breath again.

Going to get on my bike and do some spinning, while watching a computer movie.

NANCY-What is that surgeon thinking peroxide is very good for wounds.My doctor told me to put it on my skin tag removal sores. Hope that your DH doesn't have to be opened up again.

SANDRA-He's a caring & excellent doctor,I very happy to have him,as my friends & choir members are looking for a decent doctor and can't find one. Unfortunately my doctor isn't taking new patients right now. Yes I'm lucky,I can talk to him about of sorts of health problems and he always explains them in laymen terms. Made a mixed berry smoothie with crushed ice, delish.......

RHONDA-You're sure our Exercising :queen: Queen congrats on all those sit ups & push ups. Good Luck with Nutrisystem, hope they will help both of you.

SLOAN-He wanted me to go on Atkins,as he told me that's how he lost his weight but did I listen to him.NO. I went to the SBD and than to WW.
TOO many carbs for me,so now that I watching my carbs and calories along with portion control I now got out of the 170's this morning as I 169,hope it continues that way.

Have to get going,have a nice day

Vickie
05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm sorry that I haven't been around much. Brodie is keeping us uber busy.

Rhonda, Jim is still thriving on Nutrisystem. He hasn't lost much lately because we have been celebrating his birthday for a while now! ;):D
I believe you and Doyle would lose weight if you tried it. If you are members of Costco, they have the best deal ever on Nutrisystem. You can't get a 35 day program directly from Nutrisystem. The CSR told me this week that it is a better deal than they can offer. You get free delivery through Costco and you don't get that with NS unless you agree to accept 2 or 3 (I can't remember) autodeliverys. The Women's is cheaper because you'd only get one snack a day and Men get two. Each plan is $25 off until May 9th. It's normally $270 and $300 for 35 days. This is less than NS charges for 30 days. Anywhoo....I just tried the Buffalo Pretzel Sticks and loved them and the Peppermint Patty cookies. I may place a small ala carte order! I just wanted you to have the information. http://tinyurl.com/27tul2l. You have to order the card and when it arrives you go straight to NS site and pick all of your own meals. This also costs more when you deal directly with NS. If you decided to do it, I'll tell you the foods that Jim really enjoys.

Love and Hugs to the rest of you!

Vickie
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
P.S. Some Costco's have these cards available in store. They only had the Women's in our store so we had to order it online. It didn't take long to come though.

Tejas
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Good Morning All:

Thanks, Vickie, for the comments about Nutrisystem. I'll tell DH but I think that he will want to take the direct route because his SIL referred him and will get some discount, as we will also. I've told DH how well your Jim has done on the program. I'm not 100% sold on it for myself, but it will make DH's journey easier if I go with him.

I have a busy day ahead...BBL.

Rhonda

nancy237
05-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Rhonda ...Robin lost about 40 pounds on the nutrisystem and is now doing his own version of it with Grocery Store foods/frozen meals ...

He got really tired of the tomato based foods but found most of the foods decent. For him it worked because he could repeat the same type menu each day with a different entree...

I am trying a protein shake for breakfast, 300 cal frozen entree for lunch, lean meat with salad for dinner (or core) and a few healthy snacks between meals.

blessedwithsarah
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone. I've been doing really well counting calories. Its been a very long time since I actually measured things and wrote down everything. Its going well. My target is 1200 calories per day - more when I work out. I'm actually zig zagging my calories - sort of like the Wendies Plan. I spike up my calories to 1400 one day and then another day in the week I spike to 1600. The goal is that my weekly calories stay the same, but by spiking a couple days a week my body won't get used to the 1200 and stop losing. I read a couple interesting articles that state you body will always look to hold steady - so if you stick to the same calorie level for weeks, you'll plateau. The goal is to keep spiking the calories so my body doesn't plateau. So far its working really well. I'm down 9 pounds since last Sunday! Yes, I know a lot was fluid, but the # on the scale has not been this low in over a year. So, I'm happy and motivated!

I hope you are all doing well. I did find here on 3 Fat Chicks a great recipe site -- let me get the link and I'll add it. It shows the calories for tons of recipes, which you can convert to points if you're doing that.

Well, go to run. BBL.

sloanie
05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey chicks, if you have time, check out this article. It is about one of our students: http://www.tennessean.com/section/GALLATIN

ontarget
05-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Sloan, that's an amazing story. I hear ya'll have more rain on the way. Be safe. Be op if you can, but mainly be safe.

Rhonda, when is Doyle planning to start NS? You're getting a lot of good info here. I'm enjoying reading it, too.

Vickie, how much has Jim lost on NS?

Nancy, I tried my own "TV dinner plan" but went along the wayside. It was working when I did it, though.

Paula, 9 pounds! Now that's something to shout about for sure. Pounds are pounds. Water weight is still weight.

I went to Garden Ridge today and had a great time roaming the isles.

I'm barely op. (Does such a thing exist? I had a WW leader tell me one time [back in the 1960's] that there was no such thing as being barely on plan. She said, "It's like being pregnant. Either you are or you aren't.) WW leaders don't really talk to us that bluntly any more.

Anyway, I'm hanging by a thread which means I'm having a dessert. It's dump cake made with canned pineapple, walnuts, yellow cake mix, and cherry pie filling. My plan is to have one serving. So I'm thinking I'm op by a thin thread.

blessedwithsarah
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Did anyone come across this link before? Lots of recipes.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/

ontarget
05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Well, I had my one serving and I feel sort of sick. Paybacks are heck.

nancy237
05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh..wow..Paula...

That is a great link...

I didn't know about it...

I have already found 3 recipes I want to try in the seafood section..

Thanks for sharing..

nancy237
05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
This is what I am trying tomorrow night...
200 calories a serving so I might serve it with a salad..

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/fish-fillets-with-black-bean-compote/

ontarget
05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Paula, I meant to thank you, too. I hadn't seen that sight before.

Nancy, let us know how you like it. Looks good.

Tejas
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the continued information about diets...very helpful.

I've had a lazy day: manicure, walk, gym, visiting....food was a little off, but not too badly.

Night all,
Rhonda

beach bum
05-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Woke up early this morning,and it such a beautiful day that I going down to walk along the beach. Still at 169 and its seem like a dream and I going to wake up soon to a reality. Hope it stays that way for Monday W-I. I have a feeling its cause I gave up the restaurant way of life.

PAULA-BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR 9 POUND WEIGHT LOSS.I use the Wendie Plan also but not with points, I count calories but my doctor told me stay around the 1200 area watch the carb reading of 40-60 gr per day but don't go under. That will slow you metabolism. Thanks for the 3 chicks recipe link.I bookmark the turkey taco pie recipe will try it some tome next week.

SANDRA-Sorry about you hanging OP just by a thread.Maybe you could chance around you meals a bit,or like Paula posted bring your calories up a bit and see what happens.

RHONDA-Some times there the best days just to be lazy and hang around,doing things for yourself. I have to learn and do that for me also.
Its going to be Mothers day on Sunday and I'm thinking about taking a bubble bath with scented candles some time this weekend.

Have a great morning,

sloanie
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Mornin' chicks! We are having more rain today, and the water has not gone down much since last weekend. Hopefully it will only be a small amount of rain. There are still a couple of people missing since last weekend, so sad!

I tried on dresses yesterday to wear to prom supervision that I have to do this weekend. Looking at myself under the florescent lights in only my underwear was horrifying! Aging/sagging skin is just not pretty! Ugh!!!! I know this did not happen overnight, but it sure did happen fast. Oh well, I guess it's better than the alternative.

Paula, congrats on the nine pounds! You're doing great!

Sandra, feeling yukky after eating something yummy should be outlawed. We need to put that in the book!

Maryann, I'm so excited for you! Maybe you have finally found the secret for losing!!!

Rhonda, your day sounds relaxing. We all need those days.

Nancy, I'm zipping over to look at the recipe thread that you posted. Thanks! How's Robin?

Hey Angela and Vickie!

My dad has chemo today, so I may not be back until Monday. TTFN

Tejas
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Sloan, I hear 'ya. The biggest change with the 60's for me has been the loss of collagen under the skin surface. My hands are now looking their age. Oh well, I still think it's better than not getting old!

Rhonda

nancy237
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Nancy, I'm zipping over to look at the recipe thread that you posted. Thanks! How's Robin?

Rhonda gets the credit for finding that great recipe link :bravo:

I was just commenting on one of the recipes I found there & wanted to try.

I know what you mean about dressing rooms. It wasn't long ago I thought
"not too shabby for a mom of teens " :carrot:

Now in dressing rooms I think
"oh dear..who is that granny!!!" :eek:

nancy237
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Robin is great...

He is going to PT 3x/week and the YMCA on the other days.

He is gradually getting his strength back.

Our general Dr told him to not restrict his calories too much in these first weeks after surgery..especially since his red blood count needs to return to normal.

His incision site that was worrying us is finally healing like it should be !!!

ontarget
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Nancy, that's good about Robin's incision. I'm glad he's better.

I am not op this evening. I did a good deed for a student and a bad deed for me. Students in the at-risk class get their lunches brought to the classroom from the cafeteria. One student couldn't order a lunch because he owes a debt. I gave him my lunch and drank a can of V8. What I mean about doing a bad deed for me was that I should have done myself a favor also by staying op afterwards. Instead, I came home hungry and ate too much for dinner. I won't eat anything else today so, hopefully, I won't have a gain in the morning.

beach bum
05-08-2010, 08:20 AM

Rain and wind is what we're expecting today along with some thunderstorms. No walking along the beach for today. Some of my friends are going out to a movie call Furry Vengeance this evening hope it funny as the critics are giving it a C+-D rating. Oh well we'll see for ourselves.

SLOAN-I really feel for all the flood victims. I agree I hope they don't find anymore body's. We're going very sever winds up to 50 MPH gusts are expected for tonight in to Sunday Morning.I looked on the weather map and there coming for the Chicago area. Got on this scale this morning and I lost another .5 bring me down to 168.5 and a 2.5 weight loss since last week.
My sister is following the same diet and she losing also.

NANCY-Glad that everything is working the right way for Robin. Now you can take it easy for while and do something exciting for yourself.

:val1:HAVE A WONDERFUL MOTHERS DAY WEEKEND AND DON'T FORGET IF YOU HAVING CAKE HAVE ONLY A SLIVER.:val1:

Vickie
05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Good Morning Chicks! It's COLD here and we have the heat back on. Harumph! Today should be quiet. I just have to make some applesauce, practice obedience with Brodie, and catch up on TV. Jim and I have been too busy to watch much.

I'm off to eat a late breakfast. Hugs and wonderful on program days being wished for each of you.

Sandra, you are a special woman and I admire you very much. Maybe you could throw a SBD meal replacement bar in your bag for those days that your wonderful nurturing nature makes you want to give your food to someone more in need than you. Then, you can both be nourished. You can buy these individually at most grocery and drug stores. And....they taste pretty darned good with a cup of coffee! It would be a win win. I'm honored to know you.

Tejas
05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Good Afternoon:

Nancy, it was Paula who told us about the recipe site. Now, let me tell you all to go to the Goal section and read Jerome Biggars' story of losing LOTS of weight in 16 months. Very inspiring....

I deliberately ate as much as I wanted, and drank Margaritas last night. That got me a (temporary) three pound gain on the scales. I had lots of salty chips and cheese in my meal. I loved every bite and letting go of the restrictions for an evening.

I fell today while lifting weights. I was doing squats with 65 pounds across my shoulders and I just couldn't get up. Todd was right behind me and caught the barbell as I yelled "I can't come up!" I fell backwards, between his legs and he had the barbell before it fell on me. I was not hurt, I was not embarrassed but it was scary and shook me up. I said "I can't do it" and had tears in my eyes! He reassured me, then had me do the squats with no weights.

I'd done that heavier weight before with no problem. I'm just fatigued, and I bet the splurge last night didn't help. Too much salt and too much lactic acid building up in my legs. Anyway, we finished the session with me leg pressing lots of pounds lots of times, and I feel OK now.

Good to hear that Robin is doing better; hang in there Sandra; sorry about the continued bad weather people are having. It's perfect here.

Rhonda

ontarget
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Vickie, thank you for the tips. I need to get some of those bars. I had a V8 with me, but it wasn't enough.

Rhonda, I'm going to call you to count your fingers and toes.

I'm still off p. No excuses. Right now I'm loving food more than I should.

Vickie
05-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Rhonda......YIKES! I'm so glad that Todd was there and that you are ok. Please, please be careful. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal. It's a good lesson to splurge once in a while and then not feel guilty.

Sandra, keep coming here. You'll get inspired and get back on program soon. You should love food, just try not to abuse it. I've an off program meal coming up next Friday and I'm very much looking forward to it. I'll be on program until then.

Off to snap fresh green beans for dinner.

nancy237
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Good Afternoon:

Nancy, it was Paula who told us about the recipe site.

Paula..finally you are getting the credit for the great site!!!
I meant Paula but said Rhonda...

nancy237
05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
. Todd was right behind me and caught the barbell as I yelled "I can't come up!" I fell backwards, between his legs and he had the barbell before it fell on me.
Rhonda

After I saw you were okay my thought was...

"at least that is her story and she is sticking to it " :wl:

seriously...that is scary and I am glad you are okay.

ontarget
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Vickie, thank you, my friend. I'm making a little headway but it's slow. Fresh green beans sound good.

Tejas
05-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Happy Mother's Day everyone.

If you're not a biological mother, enjoy it anyway because you can be sure that every woman has been a "mother" some way or another!! I know from experience!

Rhonda

aghiowa
05-09-2010, 09:09 AM
ditto!

Vickie
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Happy Mothers Day to the best Women I know anywhere!

beach bum
05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
:val3:HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE WONDERFUL MOTHERS ON THIS THREAD.:val3:

DON'T HAVE TO MUCH TIME TO POST AS I HAVE TO GET READY FOR CHURCH,NO BRUNCH THIS MORNING AS MY FRIENDS WILL BE WITH THEIR CHILDREN.

GOING TO TAKE IT EASY AND HAVE A TV DINNER AND THAN WATCH THE PLAYERS GOLF TOURNAMENT AT SAWGRASS.

SEE YOU GUYS LATER

ontarget
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, CHICKIES!!!! I hope all of you are having the kind of day you wanted.

Rhonda, I agree with you 100%. We all do our share of nurturing.

blessedwithsarah
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Happy Mother's Day to you all as well!!! Hope you had a great day. I've been wearing my butterfly necklace all day -- may by my little girl scout! I treasure these handmade gifts. The nice necklace and bracelet dh bought weren't too shabby.....See you tomorrow ladies.

nancy237
05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
What a great day..
Went to church with my youngest son and hubby, then lunch out (NOT OP)
My son gave me a beautiful Hydrangea and my daughters gave me a Vinka
flower basket.

Then my son built a fire pit near my hammock ( just a basic rock circle) in the woods near the house and we built a small fire and pretended we were camping...

My kids sure know I LOVE living plants & flowers.....

sloanie
05-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Sloan, I hear 'ya. The biggest change with the 60's for me has been the loss of collagen under the skin surface. My hands are now looking their age. Oh well, I still think it's better than not getting old!

Rhonda

Rhonda, I'm having that same trouble. Just last week DS and I were looking at my hands. All of a sudden he grabbed me and said "Momma, don't get old" It really hurt my heart! I don't want to get old either, but I agree with you that it is much better than not getting old. I'm really having touble with my glasses causing sores on the bridge of my nose. I think it is the loss of collagen that you are talking about. I'm going to try contacts because I've tried different frames, and they each cause the same problems :(

Nancy, I went from looking "pretty good for a mom of teens" to a granny as well! It seems like it happened overnight. The loss of collagen that Rhonda mentioned must really be the problem, 'cause it looks like my skin is sliding off of my body.

Happy Mother's Day y'all. I love all of the mother's day comments :) I have had a great day doing exactly what I have wanted, and am now chatting with you and watching my family play bingo. Life is good!

Have a wonderful evening, chickies! I'll see ya tomorrow.