PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #1  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

Default Is it possible to have PCOS without having oily skin?

Ive been doing research on PCOS. I have periods that come around 3 times a year, facial hair, obese, dark skin around neck and folds of skin but i dont have oily skin. my skin is actually the opposite its dry (i have mild eczema).

so i just want to know do people with pcos always have oily skin/ acne?
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #2  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I have PCOS, and I have never had an issue with acne or oily skin. I do, however, have the hair growth above my upper lip and neck. I also have it along my ear a bit. I didn't have acne bad when I was a teenager either.

Some people may not have all the symptoms. If you think you have it you should see a doctor about it.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

What makes it a "syndrome" is the fact that you can have some symptoms, but not all. I do not have oily skin, but I have many other symptoms. It is not mutually exclusive. There is a range of testing that goes into the diagnosis- blood work, ultrasounds, etc... and I don't think your skin is a big part of that. It's merely a symptom of what is going on in your body and pcos presents in many, many ways.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #4  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

The biggest PCOS symptom is the poly-cystic ovaries. I have had a little bit of acne all my life, and I'm overweight, but I have no other symptoms of PCOS. And even those are getting under control with weight loss. I think a lot of your other signs point to PCOS or maybe even something with diabetes, especially the ring around your neck. Absence of regular periods is a problem and don't ever let a doctor tell you other wise...it is a problem that is worth investigating.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

There's different types of PCOS patients because it shows up in different ways for people.

Here's the poll thread at SoulCysters

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php?t=129677

with a link to the article the poll is based on

http://www.wdxcyber.com/dxinf001.htm

We come in all "styles."

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-09-2010 at 08:30 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #6  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Astrophe, I'm a regular on SoulCysters too! Are you? I stick around the TTC forum mostly, my user name is Schmetterling on there. I LOVE that group.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/244/140

Height: 5'2

I never had trouble with oily skin and like the others have said...symptoms vary between people. Not everyone is going to show the same things. I would talk to a doctor
Raye is offline   Reply With Quote